• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Show off your homelab!

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Has anything changed for anyone else?? :)
Only an extra server in the attic, big 2-cell APC UPS and 3 more PCs in the network )))
BTW, that UPS with a pair of 9Ah batteries can run my i3 NAS and all home networking equipment for over 5 hours during power outages.
We had a little storm at the end of spring, which resulted in 4-5 hours without electricity, and it's a blessing to have Internet and WiFi at home, while everyone else on the street was burning candles and playing cards. I think next year I will upgrade to a 4-cell rackmount unit with an extra 4-cell expansion. Maybe mod the main unit to provide several USB charging ports and a direct 12VDC rail for emergency lighting )))

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
Only an extra server in the attic, big 2-cell APC UPS and 3 more PCs in the network )))
BTW, that UPS with a pair of 9Ah batteries can run my i3 NAS and all home networking equipment for over 5 hours during power outages.
We had a little storm at the end of spring, which resulted in 4-5 hours without electricity, and it's a blessing to have Internet and WiFi at home, while everyone else on the street was burning candles and playing cards. I think next year I will upgrade to a 4-cell rackmount unit with an extra 4-cell expansion. Maybe mod the main unit to provide several USB charging ports and a direct 12VDC rail for emergency lighting )))

It's definitely something that I'd like to add into my setup, but I'm thinking that might be a little harder at the moment since cash flow is seriously taking a battering at the moment, the misses has stopped getting maternity and I'm not where I'd like to be when it comes to pay for my job.. But still, definitely have to do something about it :) I don't like the idea of having things damaged or broken due to storms or power outages.... I'd like to avoid that if I can :)

What is the wattage of the UPS @silentbogo ? :)

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Mouse Logitech G603
I think it's 1200VA (XS1200), which is a total overkill for what I'm using it for.
This one, if I remember correctly:

Snagged it from a local 3D animation studio for $15 or something like that, added a pair of new batteries for another $30, did some cleaning, checked the internal circuitry and that's it.
Also invested another $2 into an APC USB cable (basically RS232 with some extra pins), but haven't had a chance to hook it up permanently. Just too lazy to move my NAS/Server to the attic. What's cool, is that it also monitors power usage pretty accurately, which will be very useful for your crunching/folding setup.

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
I definitely like to keep it in mind for when I move and re-do all of my homelab/PC room hardware.. I'd love to get something outside of the house and have it separated off but how possible that might be, well.. I'm sure I've got that deep enough pockets sadly :(

But either way, I do intend on using a UPS even if it's just for my NAS box, I seriously don't want to loose that anyhow... I'd love to get some more big drives in it but that requires some money and I've not got that much at the moment lol
The crunching would suck that thing dry in a short space of time.. I wouldn't mind saying something like what's at work, 14kW UPS or whatever size they are, should cover the night time having a few crunchers going :D :laugh:

I'm hoping to swap out a few of the quad core crunchers I have, I'd like to get them replaced with at least 8 core models to be honest.. Quad cores are so 2000....... :laugh:

Oh and here's how the server rack is looking at the moment...

Please ignore the carpet :laugh: It's been the same since I have had the house I've not changed it yet as it's a mess and there's work to be done out there still, no point putting decent stuff down when your still working in the room :)

I'm hoping to be having a bit of a clear up with them soon, I think 13 is a little too many :laugh:

There's -

1 x R620
1 x R330
2 x R730
5 x R710
3 x R610
1 x HP 380 Gen 7 I think..

The few on the floor are going for my giveaway and I'm really sorry to anyone that I've got ear marked and it's dragged on so damn long. I've problems with no decent packaging and they aren't the smallest or the lightest of things to send so I might see if I can contact Dell and find out if I could get some boxes sent to me so I can get the servers transported safely... Might even see what Ebay has to offer... I don't want them sent and then to get damaged...

I can get the specs up for you all soon :) There's a few upgrades planned in there simply because I thought it would be rude not to do something with them.. Quad cores are sooooo no fun now with 28C beasts :)

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard MSI MPG Z790I Edge WiFi Gaming
Cooling be quiet! Pure Loop 240mm
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 (G95SC)
Case LANCOOL 205M MESH Snow
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on schitt Modi+ & Valhalla 2
Power Supply ASUS ROG Loki SFX-L 1000W
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.

It has had many upgrades from the original post. I'll kind of summarize since color coding etc is more or less the same.

So while I still have the DS81 shuttle PC in my shed

Networking is:
USG 4 Pro
2x Unifi AP-AC-Pros
1x Unifi 150w 8port POE
1x Unifi 48port (non POE)
Mikrotik CRS305-1G-4S+ (10g)

Servers:
2x whitebox Supermicro X10SLM+ -F (32gb ram 128gb SSD RAID1)

Storage:
QNAP TS-431XeU (4x 8TB SG Exos DC drives)
Netgear ReadyNAS 102 (2x 2TB WD reds)

Power:
Tripplite 1500VA UPS
Pyle (PCO860) 19 outlet PDU

Still run a ton of VMs and stuff. The QNAP and the servers each have a 10GB NIC that I have setup specifically for inter connect and replication. The servers are in fail over (No HA yet) and core replicates all VMs every 5 min. Mikrotik is uplinked to the core 48 port switch as well using 10GB.

Rest of the network is 1GB with each VM bonded to a physical 1GB NIC.

All VMs are running on the SANs iSCSI array. Array is configured as RAID0. I backup everything using an every other day schedule to backblaze B2 storage via duplicacy.

I force specific traffic via the 10g links for replication/performance by putting them on a seperate network.

The one exception is my surveillance VM which records all data to my netgear NAS and it is mounted to the VM as iSCSI. No other device touches it.

I dont run a domain which makes fail over a little more in depth but when I need to work on or reboot a host I just fail over the VMs onto the replica server. After I'm done I run them on the core server again. This brings long down times caused by cumulatives or extended hardware repairs to generally a few minutes instead of hours. I'm working on a cluster next so I can have HA, but I want to get a few more things in place first.

The interconnects are done via SM fiber and 10g optics. No DAC cables are used so its way easier for me to make additions or modifications like run length in the future.

I have a third empty chassis for the third server but haven't got around to buying mobo cpu and ram.

All the other network equip like the USG4 and the poe switch also interlink via fiber to the core switch (48p) but they use SFP (not +) so they are just 1g fiber links. I use fiber specifically for speed, and flexibility in build outs but also because I live in FL, and its good practice not to interlink with ethernet between buildings (diff in electrical potential between circuits) and because of brown/black outs. Id rather lose the router or switch than the entire stack. While other things like the servers or NAS can surge or burn out sending power with it each core device remains segregated from each other via fiber.

Last edited:

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
Been meaning to reply to this thread and others for ages, work seems to have me being busy which is completely out of order!!

@Solaris17 - I'm loving the setup.. Looks something like I'd like to get setup and sorted out someday .... With regards to your VM's, what VM software do you use? VSphere? Or something else? I ask as that's what we use at work, so I'm unsure of anything else really.. I hear of a few other ones to try but, with my little 6 month old, I'm unsure that I'll be getting there anytime soon! :( :)

@phill FYI for my mini home lab, I used this portion of the VMware User Group's eval license for non-production use. Basically full fledged VMware cluster for 200 USD that lasts one calendar year. I also believe that there is no limit to renewing every year.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Been meaning to reply to this thread and others for ages, work seems to have me being busy which is completely out of order!!

@Solaris17 - I'm loving the setup.. Looks something like I'd like to get setup and sorted out someday .... With regards to your VM's, what VM software do you use? VSphere? Or something else? I ask as that's what we use at work, so I'm unsure of anything else really.. I hear of a few other ones to try but, with my little 6 month old, I'm unsure that I'll be getting there anytime soon! :( :)

Hyper-V. But I run DC on my home servers, an affliction of my job im afraid. So licensing costs dont phase me like it does some. I used to work in a VMware shop and didnt hate it though.

I want to try out proxmox but my lab is already built out and I dont want to tackle that migration. Maybe ill get another server or build up the third to be a bit more powerful than my current two. If I do that I can move everything to the single machine and then the other 2 servers I can put in a node and play with proxmox or XCP-NG.

@Solaris17 In the true fashion of homelab experimenting, I should really play around with VMware alternatives. I played with Xenserver a while ago and didn't care for it. If you have any suggestions for a small 2 server Dell cluster, hit me up!

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
@phill FYI for my mini home lab, I used this portion of the VMware User Group's eval license for non-production use. Basically full fledged VMware cluster for 200 USD that lasts one calendar year. I also believe that there is no limit to renewing every year.

Thanks @Boatvan :) I'll see if I can get 5 minutes to give it a go :) For two of the servers with the bigger storage drives I'm hoping to have those just running something simple, I've two 600Gb 15k SAS drives in each of those and then 6 x 2Tb SAS for storage.. I'm just wondering if I should go with Linux or Windows to make the sharing a little easier for me (not done much sharing from Linux to Windows) but how hard can it be?? lol :rolleyes::rolleyes::banghead::banghead:

Hyper-V. But I run DC on my home servers, an affliction of my job im afraid. So licensing costs dont phase me like it does some. I used to work in a VMware shop and didnt hate it though.

I want to try out proxmox but my lab is already built out and I dont want to tackle that migration. Maybe ill get another server or build up the third to be a bit more powerful than my current two. If I do that I can move everything to the single machine and then the other 2 servers I can put in a node and play with proxmox or XCP-NG.

It's what we use currently at work I don't have a massive amount of experience with it at all but I can create, edit and do the base things that I need to for whatever I try at home. I just got into it when my old boss said to try it at work as they'd given me a server and a server rack to bring home... Now I've a little collection of servers :laugh: With the give away and such, it will make things easier I hope :) I'm hoping to be able to grab a couple newer units than the R710's (hopefully some R720's) but since I have the R730's, I'm just trying to find CPUs to put in them both that aren't £2000 each new to buy.... :rolleyes: I do love a bit of overkill... Just aiming to run WCG on the most efficient ones but damn these things can munch through power like there's no tomorrow!!

If I can get 5 minutes tonight, I'll put up some more pics :)

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
@Solaris17 In the true fashion of homelab experimenting, I should really play around with VMware alternatives. I played with Xenserver a while ago and didn't care for it. If you have any suggestions for a small 2 server Dell cluster, hit me up!

To be honest, when I tried Proxmox years ago I thought it was absolutely terrible. However I looked at the new VE recently and it has come a long long way from when I last played with it. I tried XCP-NG not to long ago and got super irritated that for the "open source" alternative to citrix stuff you still had to pay for some HA and other advanced features. I was pretty pissed. With that though from what I understand reading the proxmox pages is that all of this is all still under a pay for support model. If I were to tear down my rack right now I would be moving to proxmox.

It looks like its all done via KVM so it would be classified as a type 1 hv. So performance should be great.

Thanks @Boatvan :) I'll see if I can get 5 minutes to give it a go :) For two of the servers with the bigger storage drives I'm hoping to have those just running something simple, I've two 600Gb 15k SAS drives in each of those and then 6 x 2Tb SAS for storage.. I'm just wondering if I should go with Linux or Windows to make the sharing a little easier for me (not done much sharing from Linux to Windows) but how hard can it be?? lol :rolleyes::rolleyes::banghead::banghead:

It's what we use currently at work I don't have a massive amount of experience with it at all but I can create, edit and do the base things that I need to for whatever I try at home. I just got into it when my old boss said to try it at work as they'd given me a server and a server rack to bring home... Now I've a little collection of servers :laugh: With the give away and such, it will make things easier I hope :) I'm hoping to be able to grab a couple newer units than the R710's (hopefully some R720's) but since I have the R730's, I'm just trying to find CPUs to put in them both that aren't £2000 each new to buy.... :rolleyes: I do love a bit of overkill... Just aiming to run WCG on the most efficient ones but damn these things can munch through power like there's no tomorrow!!

If I can get 5 minutes tonight, I'll put up some more pics :)

Thanks, and here I am envious of your setup. Though I admit I dont draw nearly as much power. We are a supermicro shop though and so is my lab and they are more of like what it would be for someone to commercialize white box servers imo.

To be honest I'm not even a network guy regarding your other post. I know just enough to get by and I generally have a grasp of what needs to happen if I come across something I don't know. Fiber was initially an adventure into the unknown and the network segregation was also interesting.

As for hyper-v I love it personally, but I hate hate HATE the interface. Not that Hyper-V manager doesnt do what its supposed to. (I run server 2019 DC with GUI. Its hard to explain but technically speaking you dont need Hyper-V Core (the gui'less edition) the OS sits on the virtualization layer when the roll is installed)

I just really really envy, proxmox, xcp-ng, vmware (vsphere?) for the single management tool. You can kind of emulate it with SCCM or Windows Admin Center, but those are more for full fleets, with the latter being a watered down version of SCCM. I'm talking about virtualization single interfaces something I have not seen with MS. (though technically you can link hyper-v manager with other servers and control those VMs) I like how the other software wraps things like VM, HA/failover controls, VM storage etc etc into 1 CP.

I can dream.

I really want to do some GPU pass through stuff. You can kind of see it in the picture but I have a xeon Phi sitting idle right now. Played with it for a little bit it was pretty cool. But I want to throw a quadro in and do some remoteFX-ish RD gateway things. MS retired RemoteFX though and while a replacement is on the road map the best we have is DDA right now which only allows full device passthrough, not sharing.

Jesus, I spend too much on this hobby. I cant believe I run a production environment in my house in a 48u rack in my family room.

Off topic, did you guys see the price for consoles? JFC. I use a cheap 2 device (ioGear?) KVM switch and an old monitor. I wanted ot try and chic it up take a look at this BS.

a monitor and KB in 1 that can be rack mounted avgs over $600 USD.

bought shit myself.

Last edited:

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
I do like the hardware I have here but I just never get around to using it much sadly.. The one thing is I don't often have it powered up, it would melt the cables I think with the power it would draw :laugh:

I was testing a R730 with two Quad core CPUs a few nights ago, when the fans ramped up, the draw went north of 500w and I'm unsure if that was any load on the CPUs at all... I was stunned!! Idling of the server was about the 150 to 200w I think, might have been a little more/less but damn.. these things don't have like sucking the power lol Running CB 20 I think the draw was about 300w or so under the full load. The fans where quiet but I'm sure if I kept the CPUs under full load constantly, the fans would soon get noisy....

There's a gent at work who deals with our network, anything I've asked he's explained and whilst I'm still learning the basics of it all, he dumbs it down enough for me to have a basic understanding.. VLANs and fibre and all sorts.. I'm looking to do a bit of a setup possibly this weekend if I can but I need to setup the drives for storage and pick which OS to throw on the Servers.. I'm kind of thinking 2012 R2 until I can grab a 2016 licence (ebay sadly) but otherwise I'll throw Linux on there and hope for the best :)

I'm still waiting to play around with SCCM at work, all the usual tho sadly loads of talk about things and nothing happening that I can see unless people are just moving at a sloth pace... So frustrating!!

Still, if you'd like a server, I've got the give away to do for WCG and then I might see if I can send a few more away. I'm looking to keep two R710's, I have five at the moment :) If you'd like, we could sort you out with one :)

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
I do like the hardware I have here but I just never get around to using it much sadly.. The one thing is I don't often have it powered up, it would melt the cables I think with the power it would draw :laugh:

I was testing a R730 with two Quad core CPUs a few nights ago, when the fans ramped up, the draw went north of 500w and I'm unsure if that was any load on the CPUs at all... I was stunned!! Idling of the server was about the 150 to 200w I think, might have been a little more/less but damn.. these things don't have like sucking the power lol Running CB 20 I think the draw was about 300w or so under the full load. The fans where quiet but I'm sure if I kept the CPUs under full load constantly, the fans would soon get noisy....

There's a gent at work who deals with our network, anything I've asked he's explained and whilst I'm still learning the basics of it all, he dumbs it down enough for me to have a basic understanding.. VLANs and fibre and all sorts.. I'm looking to do a bit of a setup possibly this weekend if I can but I need to setup the drives for storage and pick which OS to throw on the Servers.. I'm kind of thinking 2012 R2 until I can grab a 2016 licence (ebay sadly) but otherwise I'll throw Linux on there and hope for the best :)

I'm still waiting to play around with SCCM at work, all the usual tho sadly loads of talk about things and nothing happening that I can see unless people are just moving at a sloth pace... So frustrating!!

Still, if you'd like a server, I've got the give away to do for WCG and then I might see if I can send a few more away. I'm looking to keep two R710's, I have five at the moment :) If you'd like, we could sort you out with one :)

More than appreciate it thanks, but you should give it to someone who wants to jump into having a homelab. Not to mention shipping over the pond would be brutal.

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
More than appreciate it thanks, but you should give it to someone who wants to jump into having a homelab. Not to mention shipping over the pond would be brutal.

I'm sending a few over that way anyway, so if you'd like, I can price it up and go from there? If I can ship without drives that will keep the prices down, those things feel like they double the weight of the server sometimes!! lol

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
I'm sending a few over that way anyway, so if you'd like, I can price it up and go from there? If I can ship without drives that will keep the prices down, those things feel like they double the weight of the server sometimes!! lol

sure just pm me and lmk.

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
Will PM you now :)

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
I managed finally to get some time with mine yesterday, got a few drive tests done with the setup I'm using and managed to get 2012 R2 installed and running ok, very basic at the moment. Got my 6 x 2Tb drives in raid 5 sorted out and running and shared!

Will post up some results later, I found them rather amusing with the throughput performance :)

I was just wondering guys, is there a way I could set something up such as SCCM or a form of on these servers? I'd like to put them to better use than the current over blown file servers and crunchers when I get my new CPUs delivered.... That said, I will need some more RAM and heatsinks sadly... oh the expense!! :(

Trying to get a bit of time with things at home so when at work I can understand a little more about what is going on.. I'm going to attempt some fun with changing or setting some IP addresses around the house, I think that might help me rather a lot with some stuff, otherwise it's just an excuse to hopefully not break anything!
I'll be taking a full backup of things before I do that just in case I loose something lol

If anyone has any ideas please drop me a line :)

MrCRJ

I definitely like to keep it in mind for when I move and re-do all of my homelab/PC room hardware.. I'd love to get something outside of the house and have it separated off but how possible that might be, well.. I'm sure I've got that deep enough pockets sadly :(

But either way, I do intend on using a UPS even if it's just for my NAS box, I seriously don't want to loose that anyhow... I'd love to get some more big drives in it but that requires some money and I've not got that much at the moment lol
The crunching would suck that thing dry in a short space of time.. I wouldn't mind saying something like what's at work, 14kW UPS or whatever size they are, should cover the night time having a few crunchers going :D :laugh:

I'm hoping to swap out a few of the quad core crunchers I have, I'd like to get them replaced with at least 8 core models to be honest.. Quad cores are so 2000....... :laugh:

Oh and here's how the server rack is looking at the moment...

Please ignore the carpet :laugh: It's been the same since I have had the house I've not changed it yet as it's a mess and there's work to be done out there still, no point putting decent stuff down when your still working in the room :)

I'm hoping to be having a bit of a clear up with them soon, I think 13 is a little too many :laugh:

There's -

1 x R620
1 x R330
2 x R730
5 x R710
3 x R610
1 x HP 380 Gen 7 I think..

The few on the floor are going for my giveaway and I'm really sorry to anyone that I've got ear marked and it's dragged on so damn long. I've problems with no decent packaging and they aren't the smallest or the lightest of things to send so I might see if I can contact Dell and find out if I could get some boxes sent to me so I can get the servers transported safely... Might even see what Ebay has to offer... I don't want them sent and then to get damaged...

I can get the specs up for you all soon :) There's a few upgrades planned in there simply because I thought it would be rude not to do something with them.. Quad cores are sooooo no fun now with 28C beasts :)

Thats some serious hardware! I may have missed it, but what are you doing with it?

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
Thats some serious hardware! I may have missed it, but what are you doing with it?
Solitaire an option?? :laugh:

I mainly use it for WCG crunching (before the R730 only had a single quad core Xeon in there, that soon went....) and with the storage in there setup, I use it for a backup from my main NAS box upstairs just in case :)

I've been able to test things with it such as VMWare, so using Windows Server and Linux just to try and get a grip with both OS's, it's been interesting and great fun. I'm making the most of the hardware with trying to learn how to setup and do different tasks, trying to expand my knowledge as I plan to within my IT career :)

I've thankfully now got a few servers left, so there's a lot less in there than there was :)

I'm seriously toying with a Threadripper setup at some point, so I'm unsure just how much point there will be to them really but hey :D :D :kookoo::wtf::rolleyes:

Processor Ryzen 7 2700 (3900MHz@1.275V, Vsoc 1.025V)
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Impact (BIOS 1302, Vsb 1.04V, SenseMI Skew 273)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A (full custom loop building in progress)
Memory 2*8GB G.Skill Trident Z B&W (3600 14-14-14-14-28-42 1T 1.45V, GDM off, ProcODT 53, CAD 24-24-24-24)
Video Card(s) Radeon RX Vega64 Frontier Edition Air 16G (Core 1667MHz@1.07625V, Mem 1330@0.9375V)
Storage SSD: 120GiB + 240GiB + 480GiB. HDD: 1TiB + 2TiB. Backup: Ultrium LTO-6 6.25TiB.
Display(s) AOC C27G1
Case Fractal Design Define Nano S
Audio Device(s) Audio-technica ATH-AD900X
Power Supply BeQuiet! SFX-L Power 600W
Mouse A4Tech XL-747H
Keyboard Zalman ZM-K500
Software Gentoo-latest amd64-hardened, Windows 10 Pro WS x64.
Server
AMD EPYC 7551P, ASUS KRPA-U16, 16*4GB ECC-DDR4 2933 (10-12-12-24-34), 12* Samsung 860EVO 1TB (RAID60) (buffer for Tape storage)
Gentoo-hardened linux 4.1.15.

Battery Back up
Eastpower 3Ф 10kVA, LiFePO4 20S10P * 3.3V 40Ah

Tape Storage
AMD Athlon 200GE, ASUS A320I-K/CSM, 2*4GB DDR4-2666 (10-14-12-26-38), Samsung 750EVO 120GB, 4* Ultrium LTO-6 Tape storage (6.25TB each)
Gentoo-hardened linux 4.1.15

Router
2* Mikrotik RB2011 (Redudant mode, 4* 600 Mbps ISP uplinks, load balancing)
Open BSD for PowerPC

Switch
1* Cisco 3750X (Routers - Server - Tape Storage - Smart home system - URL crawlers - F@H farm - Two others switches)
1* Cisco 2950-24 (Wired Clients + Wi-Fi AP's + TV's)
1* D-Link DES-3526 (Neighbors, 12* 20Mbps Downlinks)

Folding@home farm
AMD FX8370, Noctua NH-D15S, ASUS M5A99, 4*4GB DDR3-2400 9-10-9-25 1.7V, 2* Radeon VII, 2* Samsung 860EVO 1TB, Seasonic Prime 750W

Majestic12 URL crawlers (4 units)
AMD 2300X, ASUS A320I-K/CSM, 2*4GB DDR4-2666, Radeon RX550, Samsung 860EVO 1TB, Seasonic SSR-360GP

PC1
Described in profile.

PC2 (Wife's PC)
AMD 3700X, Eisbaer 280, ASUS C8H, 2*8GB DDR4-3000 12-14-12-26-38, RTX2070S, Corsair RM550, Windows 10 Pro WS.

PC3 (For guests and child)
AMD 2300X, ASUS A320I-K/CSM, 2*8GB DDR4-2666 12-12-12-24-38, RX 570 8GB, Seasonic SSR-360GP, Gentoo-hardened linux 4.1.15 + Xen Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate.

Other wireless devices:
Huawei Honor 10, Huawei Honor 8x, Huawei P20, Huawei Mediapad, Apple iPhone SE.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Mouse Logitech G603
Holy crap, this thread has been abandoned for over a year?
No bueno. Gotta fix it asap.
Here's my recent addition to a proper home lab (this time it's actually in my apartment, not the office). All housed in a comfy 24U short rack (48cm deep)
- NAS (i3-2100, 8GB RAM, 3TB RAID). Running Windows 10 LTSC, basically serves as SMB share to do backups from other PCs and my phone, and of course to store music and videos for network streaming.
- Mail server (Celeron J3455, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD). Running Kerio Connect server on top of Ubuntu, along with a tiny VM for work-related stuff.
- Test server (Supermicro X9SCL, Xeon E3-1240, 16GB DDR3 ECC, 1TB HDD). Running Ubuntu server, mostly used for testing stuff before I deploy it on remote servers
- Friend's server which will go to his rack next week
- On the very bottom is our economist's PC (just waiting for an ITX haswell board to stick it into another 1U chassis).
- Under the desk is my gloriously-misbalanced rig inside a legendary CM Cosmos. Took the opportunity to sell my RTX2060S at slightly below current prices, which in turn paid for nearly half of this madness. The other half was sponsored by my boss. The only downside - my spare GT730 can only handle 4K@30Hz or 1080p@60Hz. Taking a break after this year's gaming disappointments made me more productive. Now I can spend my free time to watch educational videos, read tech articles, learn new skills, and hone my mastery of Spider Solitaire :D

There's also one more workstation, which will go into a rackmount chassis soon, and few more 1U PCs, and [for now] empty Supermicro 2U chassis (I have some plans for it as well).
IMG_20210419_142531.jpg

System Name Shoebox
Processor 3600x
Motherboard Msi b550m Mortar +WiFi
Cooling Cryorig m9
Memory Crucial Ballistix c16 B-die 2x8gb
Video Card(s) Powercolor rx570 4gb
Storage WD black sn750 256gb (OS), crucial mx500 1tb(storage),Hitatchi ?? 7200rpm 500gb(Temp files)
Display(s) Samsung 65" TU7100
Case Zzaw b3
Audio Device(s) Yamaha rx-v363
Power Supply Corsair sf750
Mouse Logitech g300s
Keyboard Custom Skyloong sk64s
Software Windows 11Pro
I'm just starting to use my homelab now I run everything through proxmox,not sure if it good or not but clusters and setting up VM's is simple enough and there seems to be a large following so finding info is pretty easy.
I only have two systems a dell r210ii a Xeon e3-1220 V2 so four core and a cheap b450m system the dell runs 24/7 as my router and home automation system running pfsense and home assistant and the b450 as a backup server and disposable os for internet browsing and playing around with things I shouldn't. That currently runs Ubuntu server for backups and Linux mint/windows 10 as disposables which gets powered down when not in use.
Automation in the house is my current main focus I run weather sensors, temperature sensors around the house, our Aircon and outside lights as well as DNS, CCTV and many other things I'm probably forgetting.

@phill I dream one day of having just a few of your servers but that many I wouldn't know what to do with and would probably just have them number crunch same as you anyway looks awesome.