• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sony Working on a New PlayStation Handheld Capable of PS4 Games?

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
With handheld gaming devices being all the rage these days, thanks to PC manufacturers getting into the form-factor; the conditions seem ripe for a new PlayStation handheld generation. Rumors of Sony working on a new gaming handheld first surfaced in February 2024 from a Moore's Law is Dead report, and now other leakers are resonating the theory. This is a fully fledged handheld console that runs games locally, unlike the PlayStation Portal, which was a cloud gaming endpoint device.

The PlayStation 4 debuted a decade ago, with SoC hardware specs that can easily be match by current-generation AMD Ryzen Z1 APUs, in handheld console power footprints; and the leakers tend to agree—the new handheld console will be able to play all the games from the PlayStation 4 library, besides its own unique crop of games that take advantage of certain handheld human interface features, such as a touchscreen, accelerometer, and gyro.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

Hmmm. Idk if releasing a handheld around the same time as Nintendo releases its next gen console is a smart idea for Sony.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
There's definitely a market for a new handheld from Sony. With the Nintendo Switch having sold 141 million units so far and placing number 3 of the best selling consoles of all time it's something a massive amount of gamers want. Only the Playstation 2 and Nintendo DS sold more. Also interesting to note that 3 of the top 5 best selling consoles of all time were handhelds.

I would expect a new Sony handheld like the article is referring to would sell tens of millions of units soon after release if the price is reasonable.

System Name His & Hers
Processor R7 5800X/ R9 5950X Stock
Motherboard X570 Aorus Master/ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Cooling Corsair h150 elite/ Corsair h115i Platinum
Memory 32 GB 4x8GB 4000CL15 Trident Z Royal/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Video Card(s) Evga FTW 3 Ultra 3080ti/ Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090
Storage lots of SSD.
Display(s) LG G2 65/LG C1 48/ LG 27GP850/ MSI 27 inch VA panel 1440p165hz
Case 011 Dynamic XL/ Phanteks Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime Titanium 1000w/850w
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed/ Logitech G Pro Hero.
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Platinum/ Logitech G Pro
I really liked the PSP/Vita but I'm also skeptical Sony would support a handheld long term... Hopefully this and the rumored Xbox one is decent.

More like PS5 games, just at a lower resolution, this includes PS4 games

Current CPU architecture can perform on low power mobile as desktop Ryzen 3700X, then just use a weaker iGPU that would perform on 720p/900p like PS5 does at 4K

Just imagine something like Steam Deck or ROG ALLY but released with the latest AMD architectures

System Name Main
Processor 5700X
Motherboard MSI B450M Mortar
Cooling Corsair H80i v2
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws V 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600MHz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3060 Ti VENTUS 2X OC 8GB GDDR6X
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case NOX HUMMER ZN
Power Supply Seasonic GX-750
The PlayStation 4 debuted a decade ago, with SoC hardware specs that can easily be match by current-generation AMD Ryzen Z1 APUs, in handheld console power footprints; and the leakers tend to agree—the new handheld console will be able to play all the games from the PlayStation 4 library
I believe there could be some gains to be had on a custom OS, but even so I doubt they'll match the same image quality settings on some PS4 games. The smaller screen can also help disguise some of those shortcomings and the SOC will surely help with new(er) upscaling tech compared to the PS4, but I think they'll be lying if they promise the same image fidelity.
I'd love to be proven wrong.

Last edited:

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I believe there could be some gains to be had on a custom OS, but even so I doubt they'll match the same image quality settings on some PS4 games. The smaller screen can also help disguise some of those shortcomings and the SOC will surely help with new(er) upscaling tech compared to the PS4, but I think they'll be lying if the promise the same image fidelity.
I'd love to be proven wrong.
They don't have to lie. Just use the same old marketing babble that works on most people. Just claim "up to the same image quality as PS4" which is damn near meaningless in reality. All that the handheld would have to manage is a couple of games that could perform that well and the rest could fall short to some degree while not actually lying.

Hmmm. Idk if releasing a handheld around the same time as Nintendo releases its next gen console is a smart idea for Sony.
Nintendo lives in a parallel world apart from the rest, whatever they release doesn't affect Sony in any significant way.

Btw I'd like a worthy successor to the PSP.

God, I just want a proper successor to the Vita. That thing, despite its age, has aged quite well (both the LED and OLED screen variants I own do at least), and with homebrew firmware, gave it a second life being able to emulate old PS1, PS2, and PSP games as well as still being able to connect to the internet and watch movies (although its 2G speeds limited its online performance as 3G and 4G came along).

Given that the PS Portal has been selling out due to the flexibility of being able to remotely access the PS5 anywhere, I could easily see a PSP2/PSV2 also sell out if it adds full offline gaming capability on top of that, plus being able to use it to watch/stream movies/video, and other similar stuff that people also side-use their Steam Decks/Ally/Ayaneos for (even the oddballs who use theirs for non-gaming work).

More like PS5 games, just at a lower resolution, this includes PS4 games

Current CPU architecture can perform on low power mobile as desktop Ryzen 3700X, then just use a weaker iGPU that would perform on 720p/900p like PS5 does at 4K

Just imagine something like Steam Deck or ROG ALLY but released with the latest AMD architectures
This is because there is no such thing as a Next-Gen PS5 or Xbox Series X game.........pretty much the entire gen is a lie in terms of next-gen visuals, every game released for those systems also works on the previous gen and looks almost the same, just at slightly lower detail levels and slightly less resolution depending on the CPU/GPU impact per-game (some games fare better than others). In the end, I think Sony and Microsoft both expected to have Unreal Engine 5 level game delivery.......only to find Unreal Engine 5 can run on them, but at 30fps with any fancy visuals turned on, aka: The APU's in these machines appear to be more akin to the Xbox One to Xbox One X level of upgrades, and it feels like Sony is about to make the same hardware mistake with it's PS5 Pro.

If Sony makes a new handheld, and it can run PS4 games or their equivalent, I'm curious what APU it's going to run on....Sony probably saw Steam Deck and thought to itself "now is a great time for us to introduce a new propritary physical media format in a hand-held system to re-sell scaled-back PS4 games!" :(

Not a fan of the shennanigans that these hardware companys like to play with their marketing anymore.....(Microsoft included, Nintendo is exempt...they never promise the world anymore but their history of abandoned hardware is also telling).

The gaming journalists will claim it's a new war, but the reality is that it's not. Nintendo will sell more because their consoles cost less and they have a very closed ecosystem they control better than Sony does with theirs.

For Sony, this would just be another peripheral to cover as much ground as they can. The fact that the PS Portal does sell out regularly shows there's value in some kind of portable device, and if Sony can market off their own Deck/Ally-alike, would further push their reach into the mobile space again.

Even then though; unless Sony gets their act together and start better integrating and supporting both the fixed console and portable console game releases, they'll end up repeating the same issues that plagued the PSP and PSV, which was lack of consistent game catalogs on both. Given that the hardware should be on similar standards this time around, it should theoretically be easier for Sony to get devs working on dual-releases for PSP2/PSV2 and PS5, making use of the preset graphics options to control performance and quality (somewhat like they did with the PSV and PS4, where the PSV just ran the same game with lower graphics and sometimes lower poly models).

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop, Corsair ML/LL fans
Memory 48GB Kingston Fury DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce RTX 3080 TUF 10GB @ +150/700
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer XV273K 4K120 + Lenovo L32p-30 4K60
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518 + Asus TUF P1 mousepad
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
A portable PS4 would be a dream, it has a great library of games.

System Name Main
Processor 5700X
Motherboard MSI B450M Mortar
Cooling Corsair H80i v2
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws V 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600MHz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3060 Ti VENTUS 2X OC 8GB GDDR6X
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case NOX HUMMER ZN
Power Supply Seasonic GX-750
A portable PS4 would be a dream, it has a great library of games.
It would (probably) be the greatest launch catalogue ever!