• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sponsored News Content on TechPowerUp

Status
Not open for further replies.
TPU is not high-profile enough to make MS care, honest truth.
MS can't even take care of actually crucial stuff of their own. The legality of these keys is just simply unimportant.

I myself am a bit surprised how TPU is profitable at all, since many things just got more expensive. W1zz didn't decide to pull the trigger on these ads out of his 10M $ mansion.
We can have no sponsored content, and no TPU while at it.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling NH-U12A + T30┃AXP120-x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
Type in a Windows 7 serial into the installer. It won't do a true "in-place" upgrade install but it'll activate fine.

See that's where I am torn.

I do feel strongly on issues like this. And I also enjoy techpowerup. Ultimately, "love it or leave it" hopefully does not apply to me.

I get it from some guy who flew outta nowhere to report us though...

I firmly believe TPU should not be associating with this dodgy deal. Each time I see the sponsored article pop up again, I'm irked beyond belief.

But to be so full of oneself that one would go to the point of bugging MS customer service and reporting TPU to Microsoft is something else entirely. Thankfully, I don't think Microsoft gives a shit, and this guy probably just made himself look like a self-important fool in the process.

Last edited:
Low quality post by Octopuss
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus TUF-Gaming B550-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon Rx 580 Nitro+ 8GB
Storage HP EX950 512GB + Samsung 970 PRO 1TB
Display(s) HP Z Display Z24i G2
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650W Gold
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO Remastered
Software Windows 10 x64
I firmly believe TPU should not be associating with this dodgy deal. Each time I see the sponsored article pop up again, I'm irked beyond belief.
As someone who investigated these sites I can confidently say they are not "dodgy". If Microsoft and other companies wanted to stop it, they would. The CDKeys and whatnot are being sold WITH their blessing and they are profiting greatly. You are making assumptions based on personal feelings and in absence of supporting evidence.
But to be so full of oneself that one would go to the point of bugging MS customer service and reporting TPU to Microsoft is something else entirely.
Yes, it is.
this guy probably just made himself look like a self-important fool in the process.
That's rather insulting... R-T-B may be many things, but a "self-important fool" he is not.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
That's rather insulting... R-T-B may be many things, but a "self-important fool" he is not.

He wasn't referring to RTB. He was referring to Good3alz in post #17

Low quality post by Deleted member 67555
But to be so full of oneself that one would go to the point of bugging MS customer service and reporting TPU to Microsoft is something else entirely.
TPU is a global site and you have to take that into consideration. In some cultures this may be weird. In some it's very natural.

And as @R-T-B said: software developers are very sensitive about this because that's basically stealing from them (much like musicians vs torrent mp3).
As someone who investigated these sites I can confidently say they are not "dodgy".
How did you "investigate"? :-D

We all know you support this scam.
If Microsoft and other companies wanted to stop it, they would.
Yes! Crime and other illegal activities exist because companies and governments don't want to stop them!
Everything can be easily fixed with a bit of good will.
The CDKeys and whatnot are being sold WITH their blessing and they are profiting greatly.
How exactly is MS making money on these $10 keys sales? Care to explain?
You are making assumptions based on personal feelings and in absence of supporting evidence.
You buy a key, but you don't buy a license. What's so difficult? Why can't you still understand this? :eek:

He wasn't referring to RTB. He was referring to Good3alz in post #17
Oh, really? Doesn't look that way because he quoted R-T-B and was referring to him in that statement. I'm well aware of how the english language functions.
How did you "investigate"? :-D
I called Microsoft, verified that the product cdkeys are legitimate. Also verified that Microsoft is aware of the distribution channel and method and are in approval of it. For my business and personal purposes, that's enough for me. Additionally, Steam also seems to have knowledge and approves of such practices.
How exactly is MS making money on these $10 keys sales? Care to explain?
Nope. It's not our business. That arrangement is between the software creators and the sellers.
You buy a key, but you don't buy a license.
Not according to MS/Steam.
What's so difficult? Why can't you still understand this? :eek:
Right back at you. How hard is it for you to understand that the arrangements are NOT our business? And it isn't your place to to render judgment either. Whether between the CDKey sites and the software devs or Sites and TPU, IT'S NONE OF OUR BUSINESS. Wow what a concept, right? How hard is it to understand? What's so difficult about it?

Here's another thought. I have stated several times that contact was made with the big players in question and I challenged everyone to do the same. Instead of whining and complaining why don't you contact them yourselves? Hmm? Not like it's all that difficult. Maybe it's because you all know full well that they approve and people are only complaining because they just dislike the arrangement in question. If you don't like it, don't use it, but quit spouting gruff like a bear with a sore head.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling NH-U12A + T30┃AXP120-x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
Oh, really? Doesn't look that way because he quoted R-T-B and was referring to him in that statement. I'm well aware of how the english language functions.

I called Microsoft, verified that the product cdkeys are legitimate. Also verified that Microsoft is aware of the distribution channel and method and are in approval of it. For my business and personal purposes, that's enough for me. Additionally, Steam also seems to have knowledge and approves of such practices.

Nope. It's not our business. That arrangement is between the software creators and the sellers.

Not according to MS/Steam.

Right back at you. How hard is it for you to understand that the arrangements are NOT your business? And it isn't your place to to render judgment either. Whether between the CDKey sites and the software devs or Sites and TPU, IT'S NONE OF OUR BUSINESS. Wow what a concept, right? How hard is it for you to understand that? What's so difficult about it?

Here's another thought. I have stated several times that contact was made with the big players in question and I challenged everyone to do the same. Instead of whining and complaining why don't you contact them yourselves? Hmm? Not like it's all that difficult. Maybe it's because you all know full well that they approve and people are only complaining because they just dislike the arrangement in question. If you don't like it, don't use it, but quit spouting gruff like a bear with a sore head.

Are you being serious?

When one quotes another's post, common practice is to refer to the other conversation participant with "you". Have you noticed the presence of this word anywhere in my post?

I would remind you that all it takes is a quick browse through the thread to see the post in question, which RTB and I were discussing, but from what I can see, I highly doubt that would change how you think.

Enjoy being agitated over nothing. "Gruff bear with a sore head". Oh, the hypocrisy!

Last edited:
Are you being serious?
Quite.
When one quotes another's post, common practice is to refer to the other conversation participant with "you". Have you noticed the presence of this word anywhere in my post?
Then perhaps you should have named who you were referring to, or better distinguished the referenced person. You did not do so.
Enjoy being agitated over nothing. "Gruff bear with a sore head". Talk about pot and kettle!
I'm not agitated. Trying to make a few points. Perhaps you fail to see the distinction.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Quite.

Then perhaps you should have named who you were referring to, or better distinguished the referenced person. You did not do so.

I'm not agitated. Trying to make a few points. Perhaps you fail to see the distinction.

He didn't reference RTB, he responded to RTB's comment about the guy that reported TPU in post #17. But really, nobody cares and there's little point in derailing another thread trying to explain the obvious so carry on.

The meta in TPU in general is one of the more toxic ones I've seen. I can't speak to how it was prior to 2017 when I joined, but man, it seems every thread has some sort of peeing match. I usually stick to the World Community Grid portion but sometimes grab the popcorn and view threads like this.

I have no strong opinions on the topic, but I think people need to just take a chill pill.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Vote with wallet is all i can say. I wont partake in these sponsored content/deals

Yeah... I'll need a proof of that. :-D
LOL, that's just a dumb excuse.

You're playing an argument about "a deal" that you know about and that we shouldn't be interested in, because it's business. And you hope people won't care to verify.
But I'm really tired of you defending this scam and I'm willing to check. :)
You're absolutely right.
Tell us who you've contacted. I'll verify your story and post everything on TPU.

Yeah... I'll need a proof of that. :-D
Ok, contact them.
LOL, that's just a dumb excuse.
No, it's a fact. A lawful fact actually. You do not own, operate or have any vested interest in Microsoft, TPU or any of the sites selling software. It is none of your, or anyone else's, business. Literally.
You're playing an argument about "a deal" that you know about and that we shouldn't be interested in, because it's business.
No, I'm playing the "mind your own business because it's none of ours" card.
And you hope people won't care to verify.
Wrong again. I HIGHLY encourage everyone to. Please do so!
But I'm really tired of you defending this scam and I'm willing to check. :)
Ah but are you going to come back here and admit you were wrong when you get the same response I did? Hmm? I very much doubt it.
You're absolutely right.
:rolleyes:
Tell us who you've contacted. I'll verify your story and post everything on TPU.
No. Because that would be disclosing my contacts, which are part of my business and none of yours. See how that works?
However you don't need them either.
I'm not your servant, do it yourself. Go to it. Have fun.

Last edited:
Yes! Crime and other illegal activities exist because companies and governments don't want to stop them!
Everything can be easily fixed with a bit of good will.
Not, it cannot. The current 'economy' would not work anymore without all the underground so called illegal market. That is an undeniable truth.

As for calling a market illegal just for not paying various taxes is another morally debatable issue. As long as a now-days slave works more to pay taxes than to ear for himself it should be obviously clear which side is morally wrong.

Not, it cannot. The current 'economy' would not work anymore without all the underground so called illegal market. That is an undeniable truth.
I can't believe you haven't noticed irony in that post. I really can't.
As for calling a market illegal just for not paying various taxes is another morally debatable issue. As long as a now-days slave works more to pay taxes than to ear for himself it should be obviously clear which side is morally wrong.
Taxes? No one is talking about taxes. :eek:

Irony or not, the fact remains.
The tax and tax-bypass is a bonus observation and it's something that works in a similar manner as software license and bypassing on paying full for software license.

I can't believe you haven't noticed irony in that post. I really can't.

Taxes? No one is talking about taxes. :eek:
So how's that "reaching out to Microsoft" thing going? How about Steam? Hmmm?

Come on, you were talking big and bad, let see you follow through...

Status
Not open for further replies.