• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Swapping the front I/O panel (ComEZ Classico Storage Master Case)

I bought the Classico to review and because it seemed like it might be a good alternative to my current 5000x. The fans totally suck (oops, not a pun), having plastic that's too soft and delicate, and they use Molex D. But that's beside the point.

The front I/O has got 2 USB 2.0 A and 1 USB 3.0 A. I want to swap it for something that only supports 3.2A and 3.2C, plus power button, mic jack, speaker jack and (preferably) a recessed reset button. If there are other things, that's fine. Extra USB is also great.

I asked the vendor who said that there is no replacement for that part.

So, how can I replace or mod this part to have what I want? Where are good places to look for replacement I/O panels?

How difficult would it be to mod the I/O panel so that it supports at least USB 3.2A if not C?

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
If you post a pic of the back side (interior) of the I/O panel, it would be easier to say how easy or difficult it would be to mod the panel to the specs you want...but from the pics I see online, the exterior looks fairly standard.

Swapping out the USB 2 & 3 ports for 3.1/3.2 would be relatively straightforward, but you would have to make a cut-out for a USB-C port, preferably with a dremel tool :D

So, how are the cables from the mobo and the ports themselves attached to the back of the I/O panel ? with screws, hot glue or some other method ?

Also, does your mobo have the correct connectors to support the types & speeds of the cables & ports you want to install ? If not, you won't be gaining anything by making the mod...

(Warning: shameless self-promo forthcoming !)

Note that if you wanna move forward with the mod, I have some of the cables you would need, as I did similar mod on another case a while back, which don't have any more but kept the cables :D

If you post a pic of the back side (interior) of the I/O panel, it would be easier to say how easy or difficult it would be to mod the panel to the specs you want...but from the pics I see online, the exterior looks fairly standard.

Swapping out the USB 2 & 3 ports for 3.1/3.2 would be relatively straightforward, but you would have to make a cut-out for a USB-C port, preferably with a dremel tool :D

So, how are the cables from the mobo and the ports themselves attached to the back of the I/O panel ? with screws, hot glue or some other method ?

Also, does your mobo have the correct connectors to support the types & speeds of the cables & ports you want to install ? If not, you won't be gaining anything by making the mod...

(Warning: shameless self-promo forthcoming !)

Note that if you wanna move forward with the mod, I have some of the cables you would need, as I did similar mod on another case a while back, which don't have any more but kept the cables :D

There's no mobo at this time, although that may eventually happen. No money at this time to create a second PC. If I were to get a mobo, it would support USB 3.x.

I have a "Dremel" tool from Wen, along with a nice collection of bits and stuff.

I'm not worried about the USB 3.0 port - I can live with that., if that's what it takes. However, I'd like to only have 3.x ports on the front, with at least one being USB-C.
Connectors inside.jpg

The wires for the USB 2.0 A ports appear to be soldered to the PCB via the connectors.
USB 2 & sound.jpg

The USB 3.0 port is screwed into place as one unit including the cable.
USB 3.jpg

System Name Sleepy Painter
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus TuF Gaming X570-PLUS/WIFI
Cooling FSP Windale 6 - Passive
Memory 2x16GB F4-3600C16-16GVKC @ 16-19-21-36-58-1T
Video Card(s) MSI RX580 8GB
Storage 2x Samsung PM963 960GB nVME RAID0, Crucial BX500 1TB SATA, WD Blue 3D 2TB SATA
Display(s) Microboard 32" Curved 1080P 144hz VA w/ Freesync
Case NZXT Gamma Classic Black
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1
Power Supply Rosewill 1KW on 240V@60hz
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legend
Keyboard Red Dragon K552
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC 1809 17763.1757
Search Terms (that'll be helpful):

"Type-E to Type-C" (The 'modern' mobo header for 3.x Type-Cs, is called USB Type-E)

"Panel Mount" (tiny chance it'll be easily 'modded in')
1699138607980.png

"Flush Mount" (cut hole, stick in, 'pops in' like a drywall anchor. Common for automotive installs)
1699138813420.png

Opinion/Option for USB 3.2 Type-A:
Use the existing "USB 3.0".

AFAIK (Non-Type-C) USB 3.# Gen# all use the same connectors and pinouts as USB 3.0 did*. You'll probably be fine using the existing FP USB3 Type-A for USB 3.# Gen# Type-A.

Ever notice poorer audio quality with FP ports, or front USB2.0 transferring slower than the same 'gen' port on the back? It's EMI-related.
Thankfully, Even 'old' chassis' "USB 3.0" FP has been generally much better-shielded than USB 1.#-2.0 FP leads.

*IIRC, USB3.0 is electrically identical to USB3.2 Gen1. TBQH, I'm not sure USB 3.2 Gen2 20Gbps Type-A "front panel" leads + receptacles are any different than "USB 3.0" of the same.

In this case :laugh: , think:
-multi-gig / 10GBASE-T ethernet over short runs of 'CAT5' vs. "proper" CAT6A

(or S/FTP / STP).

Properly connected to your USB3.2 Header
(or extended from a rear-mobo 3.2 Type-A), you should still get expected/rated speeds.
Note: regardless of how well constructed and shielded your new USB 3.2 FP ports/extensions are, you still may get a little less bandwidth vs. direct into mobo rear-I/O.

Also, keep in mind that a single Type-C uses 2(two) USB-connections(lanes?).
If your board has both a USB3 19-pin header and a USBC Type-E header, you'll be g2g just modding-in a USB-C.

An Option for Type-C:
1699140610224.png
1699140633137.png

IMHO,
Desolder the 'rightmost' USB-A 1.0-2.0, 2-part kneadable epoxy (and/or hot glue) the new Type-C female (like, from a M-F ext. cable or Type-E-to-Type-C adapter) onto the PCB, in-line w/ the rectangular hole in the case.
You'd end-up with 1x USB 2.0-A, 1x USB 3.2-C, and 1x USB 3.2-A. All, without having to do any surgery to the case, and only needing 1x USB-C extension/Type-E adapter.
You might even be able to get a USB-A rubber dust cover and exacto-out the USB-C's shape for a hole-filling plug around the new Type-C. Some moldable eraser, hot glue, etc. to mould and 'fill in' the open space around the new Type-C receptacle would work too.
'filling in around' it, and making it snug with the existing Type-A cutout will provide some support/strain-relief for the new receptacle. 'should look nicer, too.

If one were careful to keep the moldable-material out of the Type-C receptacle
(ex. some cables I've bought have 'protectors' in the plugs), one could use some wood or something to keep the uncured material flush w/ the case's surface.
(or, come back after curing, and use a razor blade/xacto knife, to carefully flush-trim)
Some black paint (applied with a toothpick) or black marker on the face of newly-created 'molded receptacle' would make it look less out of place. (preferably, removed from the case; to avoid ruining the finish on the case)

You could also delete both the USB 2.0's entirely, and use the PCB as mounting-point for both a Type-C and a Type-A USB 3.2 receptacle.
(Or, 2x 3.2 Type-A using something like this, and 1x USB-C 3.2 in the 3.0A's 'spot' using a "panel mount" Female-C.)
You'd be 100% USB 3.2-capable up front without cutting on the case, and while only-needing 1 or 2 affordable-available extensions/adapters.

Last edited:
System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
^^This^^ yep 4 sure, explained it better than I could have, thx @LabRat 891 :D

Search Terms (that'll be helpful):

"Type-E to Type-C" (The 'modern' mobo header for 3.x Type-Cs, is called USB Type-E)

"Panel Mount" (tiny chance it'll be easily 'modded in')
View attachment 320268
"Flush Mount" (cut hole, stick in, 'pops in' like a drywall anchor. Common for automotive installs)
View attachment 320269

Opinion/Option for USB 3.2 Type-A:
Use the existing "USB 3.0".

AFAIK (Non-Type-C) USB 3.# Gen# all use the same connectors and pinouts as USB 3.0 did*. You'll probably be fine using the existing FP USB3 Type-A for USB 3.# Gen# Type-A.

Ever notice poorer audio quality with FP ports, or front USB2.0 transferring slower than the same 'gen' port on the back? It's EMI-related.
Thankfully, Even 'old' chassis' "USB 3.0" FP has been generally much better-shielded than USB 1.#-2.0 FP leads.

*IIRC, USB3.0 is electrically identical to USB3.2 Gen1. TBQH, I'm not sure USB 3.2 Gen2 20Gbps Type-A "front panel" leads + receptacles are any different than "USB 3.0" of the same.

In this case :laugh: , think:
-multi-gig / 10GBASE-T ethernet over short runs of 'CAT5' vs. "proper" CAT6A

(or S/FTP / STP).

Properly connected to your USB3.2 Header
(or extended from a rear-mobo 3.2 Type-A), you should still get expected/rated speeds.
Note: regardless of how well constructed and shielded your new USB 3.2 FP ports/extensions are, you still may get a little less bandwidth vs. direct into mobo rear-I/O.

Also, keep in mind that a single Type-C uses 2(two) USB-connections(lanes?).
If your board has both a USB3 19-pin header and a USBC Type-E header, you'll be g2g just modding-in a USB-C.

An Option for Type-C:
View attachment 320285View attachment 320286
IMHO,
Desolder the 'rightmost' USB-A 1.0-2.0, 2-part kneadable epoxy (and/or hot glue) the new Type-C female (like, from a M-F ext. cable or Type-E-to-Type-C adapter) onto the PCB, in-line w/ the rectangular hole in the case.
You'd end-up with 1x USB 2.0-A, 1x USB 3.2-C, and 1x USB 3.2-A. All, without having to do any surgery to the case, and only needing 1x USB-C extension/Type-E adapter.
You might even be able to get a USB-A rubber dust cover and exacto-out the USB-C's shape for a hole-filling plug around the new Type-C. Some moldable eraser, hot glue, etc. to mould and 'fill in' the open space around the new Type-C receptacle would work too.
'filling in around' it, and making it snug with the existing Type-A cutout will provide some support/strain-relief for the new receptacle. 'should look nicer, too.

If one were careful to keep the moldable-material out of the Type-C receptacle
(ex. some cables I've bought have 'protectors' in the plugs), one could use some wood or something to keep the uncured material flush w/ the case's surface.
(or, come back after curing, and use a razor blade/xacto knife, to carefully flush-trim)
Some black paint (applied with a toothpick) or black marker on the face of newly-created 'molded receptacle' would make it look less out of place. (preferably, removed from the case; to avoid ruining the finish on the case)

You could also delete both the USB 2.0's entirely, and use the PCB as mounting-point for both a Type-C and a Type-A USB 3.2 receptacle.
(Or, 2x 3.2 Type-A using something like this, and 1x USB-C 3.2 in the 3.0A's 'spot' using a "panel mount" Female-C.)
You'd be 100% USB 3.2-capable up front without cutting on the case, and while only-needing 1 or 2 affordable-available extensions/adapters.
Great! Thanks! So, I could also remove the 3.0 cable and replace it with the 3.2C cable, and remove both 2.0 ports and replace them with 3.0 (cuz who needs 2.0 if you can have 3.0, right? I mean, there's no disadvantage to upgrading both to 3.0, is there?