• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

thermal throttling and power throttling on my i5-9300h. Please help.

Fahadterawi

Hello,

I have been recently getting deep into the under-volting stuff and doing my researches and its been very difficult for me to find some good settings based on my preference. I have tried to copy many settings but none seem to work out so I wanna ask for help over here if anyone can help me it would be appreciated, because thermal issues have been causing me very low fps in games and its very annoying ( I have recently reapplied my thermal paste 1 week ago so thermal paste isn't a problem here and I have cleaned the fans and the heat sinks and unclogged the air ways from dust so every thing is very good except the limits are still alot).
msi afterburn.png
power limits.png
throttle stop cashe undervolting.png
throttle stop core undervolting.png
throttle stop limits.png
throttle stop stats.png

These are all my settings including MSI Afterburn just incase it affects my laptops performance with throttlestop. (My laptops specs are I5-9300h, Rtx 2060 mobile version, 16 gigs of ram 2666 mhz, 512 ssd and 475 external hdd).

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
I have recently reapplied my thermal paste 1 week ago so thermal paste isn't a problem
You cannot assume that everything is OK. Some popular thermal pastes start to pump out in less than a week. What thermal paste did you use? If your answer is MX-4 then you need to redo the thermal paste with something better.

Your undervolt settings are correct. Set IccMax for both the core and the cache to the max, 255.75. Set Power Limit 4 to a value of 0.

You will continue to see THERMAL throttling unless you can find a way to improve cooling. What laptop model do you have? Acer decided to lower the thermal throttling temperature of many of their laptops. This being set to 92°C will cause more thermal throttling compared to this being set to the Intel recommended 100°C value. Use ThrottleStop 9.6 and post a screenshot of the Options window so I can see if the PROCHOT Offset setting is locked. If you do not see a lock icon near this setting, you can reduce the PROCHOT Offset value to raise the thermal throttling temperature. That would help reduce thermal throttling a little. If you see a lock icon, leave this setting alone.

Turn on the Log File option when gaming. Play for at least 15 minutes. Attach a ThrottleStop log file to your next post so I can see what sort of throttling your CPU is doing and why it is throttling.

Fahadterawi

You cannot assume that everything is OK. Some popular thermal pastes start to pump out in less than a week. What thermal paste did you use? If your answer is MX-4 then you need to redo the thermal paste with something better.

Your undervolt settings are correct. Set IccMax for both the core and the cache to the max, 255.75. Set Power Limit 4 to a value of 0.

You will continue to see THERMAL throttling unless you can find a way to improve cooling. What laptop model do you have? Acer decided to lower the thermal throttling temperature of many of their laptops. This being set to 92°C will cause more thermal throttling compared to this being set to the Intel recommended 100°C value. Use ThrottleStop 9.6 and post a screenshot of the Options window so I can see if the PROCHOT Offset setting is locked. If you do not see a lock icon near this setting, you can reduce the PROCHOT Offset value to raise the thermal throttling temperature. That would help reduce thermal throttling a little. If you see a lock icon, leave this setting alone.

Turn on the Log File option when gaming. Play for at least 15 minutes. Attach a ThrottleStop log file to your next post so I can see what sort of throttling your CPU is doing and why it is throttling.
thanks for your reply unclewebb,
i have changed the settings and ill be give the file log later on today as im busy right now but about the thermal paste i used a thermal past called (thermal-killer S) which is from a company call
(XIGMATEK).
option.png

Here is the options file.

unclewebb

I do not have any experience with the thermal paste you used. You have to closely watch the temperatures immediately after you repaste. It you see a significant increase in temperatures a week or two weeks later, you will know that the thermal paste is not great for long term use.

This is a common problem for laptops. Most review sites that review thermal paste are always using desktop CPUs for testing. Mobile CPUs run hotter and do not have an integrated heat spreader over top of the cores. A paste that works well on a desktop CPU during a short duration test might work quite poorly on a mobile CPU, especially a week or two after you apply it.

Some users have started using Honeywell PTM 7950. I have not tried using this yet. I only use a desktop computer now.

The Options window shows that PROCHOT Offset is locked to a value of 8. That is why your computer starts to prematurely thermal throttle at 92°C instead of the Intel recommended 100°C. When a manufacturer decides to lock the PROCHOT Offset setting in the BIOS, you cannot use ThrottleStop to change it.

If it's completely stable with -135mV in cache, drop your core to -225mV keeping the cache as it is.
I suggest you run Cinebench multicore with the current undervolt and then compare with my suggestion.
Check clock/temperature/power.

Fahadterawi

I do not have any experience with the thermal paste you used. You have to closely watch the temperatures immediately after you repaste. It you see a significant increase in temperatures a week or two weeks later, you will know that the thermal paste is not great for long term use.

This is a common problem for laptops. Most review sites that review thermal paste are always using desktop CPUs for testing. Mobile CPUs run hotter and do not have an integrated heat spreader over top of the cores. A paste that works well on a desktop CPU during a short duration test might work quite poorly on a mobile CPU, especially a week or two after you apply it.

Some users have started using Honeywell PTM 7950. I have not tried using this yet. I only use a desktop computer now.

The Options window shows that PROCHOT Offset is locked to a value of 8. That is why your computer starts to prematurely thermal throttle at 92°C instead of the Intel recommended 100°C. When a manufacturer decides to lock the PROCHOT Offset setting in the BIOS, you cannot use ThrottleStop to change it.
in the option windows i can change and have changed the PROCHOT offset setting from 8 to 10 so are u sure its locked and the change had no effect?
prochot.png

If it's completely stable with -135mV in cache, drop your core to -225mV keeping the cache as it is.
I suggest you run Cinebench multicore with the current undervolt and then compare with my suggestion.
Check clock/temperature/power.
this might have solved all my problems because i didnt see any high temps at all except for 2 threads that were on 92 degrees but the real question is if i play games will it crash the laptop and shut down or give me a blue screen, but so far it even boosted my cinabench score by x1.03.

there were no limits what so ever not even edp or thermal or pl 1 or 2 so thats amazing. ill be updating u guys tmw if anything happens but for now i appreciate the efforts alot thanks so much this was so helpful.

Last edited:
this might have solved all my problems because i didnt see any high temps at all except for 2 threads that were on 92 degrees but the real question is if i play games will it crash the laptop and shut down or give me a blue screen, but so far it even boosted my cinabench score by x1.03.

there were no limits what so ever not even edp or thermal or pl 1 or 2 so thats amazing. ill be updating u guys tmw if anything happens but for now i appreciate the efforts alot thanks so much this was so helpful.
Increase cache to -125mV.

another suggestion: Why limit the clock on one/two cores?
This will not let your CPU deliver its full performance under light loads.
If you want to limit clock to 3.8GHz in 3/4 cores because of the limitation of the cooling system, ok!
Keep the original 4.1GHz for 1/2 cores as this will only be achieved on light loads that won't push your temperatures...

Last edited:

unclewebb

are u sure its locked and the change had no effect?
When you see the yellow icon near PROCHOT Offset, this setting is locked. You can change it from 8 to 10 but the CPU will ignore this change if it is locked. Look at the main screen of ThrottleStop. It will still show PROCHOT 92°C if PROCHOT Offset is locked to 8.

100°C - 8 Offset = 92°C

When PROCHOT Offset is not locked, you will not see a yellow lock icon.

1692396279000.png

Increase cache to -125mV
You only need to do this if your computer is not stable with the cache at -135 mV. Many four core mobile CPUs like the 9300H have more room to undervolt compared to the six core 9750H. Not too many 9750H are 100% stable at -135 mV but lots of 9300H seem OK with this undervolt.

Hopefully your new settings are game stable.

Sky3ler

Hello, I have a Hp Pavilion laptop with a GTX 1050 and an i5-9300H Processor, I have a cooler attached to it, which means I have a very good cooling, can you please help me with the settings in ThrottleStop? With the settings from here in games, my fps drops and I have frame drops.
1714469410577.png
1714469430577.png
1714469447743.png
1714469469763.png
1714469480296.png
1714469502421.png

unclewebb

I have frame drops
Maybe a 5 year old laptop with a 4 core CPU and a low end GTX 1050 is no longer enough computing power to play games smoothly. More and more users seem to be having the same complaints recently. With only 4 cores available you have to open up the Task Manager and get rid of as many useless background tasks as possible. When your computer is idle at the desktop with only ThrottleStop open, what does ThrottleStop report for C0% usage? My computer is at 0.1% or less.

1714492880624.png

Some people have Google Chrome setup so it has a dozen tasks always running in the background. You have to learn a lot of tricks to get rid of as many background tasks as possible.

Why is PROCHOT Offset locked to 10? Did you do this or did the BIOS do this? Intel designed the 9300H to start thermal throttling at 100°C. Using a 10° offset tells the CPU to prematurely thermal throttle at 90°C instead of the Intel rated 100°C. That can reduce performance and cause FPS drops.

Why did you reduce the turbo ratio limits in the FIVR window? Set these back to their default values so the CPU can run at its rated speed.

Fix your settings, turn on the Log File option and play a game for 15 minutes. Attach a log file so I can see if there are any problems.