• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Throttlestop I7-9750H is there a risk with raising PL1 and PL2?

es413

I7-9750H / NVIDIA GTX1650

Hello. Yesterday I undervolted my laptop and the temperatures dropped a lot, especially in idle. They were normally in the 90s and now 55. My performance even increased in the game I was playing, so I was able to increase my graphics settings. But I have a question. When I increase PL1 and PL2, the temperature also increases. Even after 50(PL1), I think because of the temperature, the bench takes longer. EDP others are always yellow(and sometimes flashing red) no matter what I do but if I increase PL1 to 50 and PL2 to 65 I can remove PL1 and PL2 from Limit Reasons.

But I have a question: If I increase PL1 and PL2, won't it damage my laptop because it will draw more power? Can it do any damage other than increase the temperature? I haven't changed the thermal paste for a long time, about a year and a half or two years I think. I will have it changed in a week and a half.

Also, before I opened this thread, I read a few posts on the forum, some of them said to increase Iccmax. Even if I increase the Iccmax, nothing changes and isn't it dangerous to increase it? What I really want to do is to make my laptop both safe and have good performance. Thanks in advance.

(cache is at -99mV, at 110s it gets a bit instable, after quitting game i got a BSOD)

1711623565845.png

1711623586795.png

Is this a Dell Precision or XPS? Just making a wild guess. Those laptops had issues sustaining their CPU power requirements because of terrible VRM/VRM cooling. It was never fixed and a workaround is to disable Turbo Boost. The CPU temperatures are not reflective of the VRM temperatures because of cooling system design on those systems. We had a series of those machines at work and all eventually started failing unless we disabled Turbo Boost. Dell eventually just quit servicing them, because it was non-stop motherboard replacements.

So the answers is - increased power can damage the machine but in some cases (design issue with VRM is what I have seen).

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Raising PL1 and PL2 is supposed to be safe. The CPU has built-in sensors to throttle back if it cannot handle the additional power draw.
I don't know the mobile parts, for on the desktop the situation is reversed: Intel is quite liberal with PL1 and PL2 (and then the motherboard manufacturers are even more liberal), so you usually want to lower PL1 and PL2 without losing anything noteworthy.

es413

Is this a Dell Precision or XPS? Just making a wild guess. Those laptops had issues sustaining their CPU power requirements because of terrible VRM/VRM cooling. It was never fixed and a workaround is to disable Turbo Boost. The CPU temperatures are not reflective of the VRM temperatures because of cooling system design on those systems. We had a series of those machines at work and all eventually started failing unless we disabled Turbo Boost. Dell eventually just quit servicing them, because it was non-stop motherboard replacements.

So the answers is - increased power can damage the machine but in some cases (design issue with VRM is what I have seen).
It is a national brand, so it is not known in other countries.

I dont understand what do you mean by them failing. They stopped working? I am using this laptop for 4 years, I just have a cooling problem.

Is there a way to understand if it will damage it other than realizing it already damaged it?

Raising PL1 and PL2 is supposed to be safe. The CPU has built-in sensors to throttle back if it cannot handle the additional power draw.
I don't know the mobile parts, for on the desktop the situation is reversed: Intel is quite liberal with PL1 and PL2 (and then the motherboard manufacturers are even more liberal), so you usually want to lower PL1 and PL2 without losing anything noteworthy.

Is the only way to understand if it is safe to raise them is by checking the temperatures? Cuz when I raise them it sometimes reaches 95 degrees.(While using TS benchmark.)

Also I didn't understand the last part. Do you mean, it won't effect the performance that much even if i lower them?

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Is the only way to understand if it is safe to raise them is by checking the temperatures? Cuz when I raise them it sometimes reaches 95 degrees.(While using TS benchmark.)
Unfortunately, no. The CPU can handle thermals on its own. The only way to get into trouble is if the CPU can handle much higher TDP, but the VRMs won't. If you don't go overboard with PL values, you should be fine.
Also I didn't understand the last part. Do you mean, it won't effect the performance that much even if i lower them?
It won't affect performance much because top PL is only sustained for short amounts. Chop off some peaks, the average won't change much.

es413

Unfortunately, no. The CPU can handle thermals on its own. The only way to get into trouble is if the CPU can handle much higher TDP, but the VRMs won't. If you don't go overboard with PL values, you should be fine.

It won't affect performance much because top PL is only sustained for short amounts. Chop off some peaks, the average won't change much.
Thank you. Do you have information regarding edp other throttlings?

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
EDP OTHER across all 3 domains at the same time is usually caused by Power Limit 4 being set too low. Try setting this power limit to 0. That tells the CPU to ignore Power Limit 4. You can also set Power Limit 4 to the max, 1023. Either 0 or 1023 should accomplish the same thing.

Set IccMax to the max (255.75) for both the core and the cache. Your CPU is not going to blow up if you do this. A CPU is only going to draw as much current as it needs to draw. This setting can also help with EDP OTHER throttling issues.

You can set PL1 and PL2 however you like. Some people set these high for maximum performance. Some people reduce the power limits so their laptops do not run so hot. A little less CPU performance in many games is not noticeable.

I prefer to check the Speed Shift box in the TPL window. Enabling Speed Shift Technology is a good idea for most laptops.

es413

EDP OTHER across all 3 domains at the same time is usually caused by Power Limit 4 being set too low. Try setting this power limit to 0. That tells the CPU to ignore Power Limit 4. You can also set Power Limit 4 to the max, 1023. Either 0 or 1023 should accomplish the same thing.

Set IccMax to the max (255.75) for both the core and the cache. Your CPU is not going to blow up if you do this. A CPU is only going to draw as much current as it needs to draw. This setting can also help with EDP OTHER throttling issues.

You can set PL1 and PL2 however you like. Some people set these high for maximum performance. Some people reduce the power limits so their laptops do not run so hot. A little less CPU performance in many games is not noticeable.

I prefer to check the Speed Shift box in the TPL window. Enabling Speed Shift Technology is a good idea for most laptops.
Thank you a lot for the detailed answer. I joined the forum after seeing your answers to questions such as this. I am glad I did.

icarium_jag

Is there a difference when enabling the SST from TPL window compared with enabling it in laptop BIOS settings? As I've understood, speed shift has been enabled by default in about every laptop's BIOS for almost 10 years now.

unclewebb

Is there a difference when enabling the SST from TPL window compared with enabling it in laptop BIOS settings?
When you check the Speed Shift box in the ThrottleStop TPL window, this tells ThrottleStop to monitor and adjust the Speed Shift Min and Max values. I like to check this box even if Speed Shift has been enabled by the BIOS.

speed shift has been enabled by default in about every laptop's BIOS for almost 10 years now.
Speed Shift was first available when Intel released their 6th Gen CPUs. It took Dell and some other manufacturers years before their laptops slowly started using this new technology. I have seen ThrottleStop screenshots of 10th Gen laptops where Speed Shift is still not automatically enabled by the BIOS.

icarium_jag

When you check the Speed Shift box in the ThrottleStop TPL window, this tells ThrottleStop to monitor and adjust the Speed Shift Min and Max values. I like to check this box even if Speed Shift has been enabled by the BIOS.

Speed Shift was first available when Intel released their 6th Gen CPUs. It took Dell and some other manufacturers years before their laptops slowly started using this new technology. I have seen ThrottleStop screenshots of 10th Gen laptops where Speed Shift is still not automatically enabled by the BIOS.

Ok, thanks for the info! Are the min/max default values shown here read from the BIOS? Can they be exceeded if your CPU has the overclocking ability?

unclewebb

The Speed Shift Min Max values are read from the CPU. I do not know if the BIOS initially sets those values or if they are hard coded into the CPU. I think they are hard coded into the CPU.

If you have a K series or similar unlocked CPU and you are overclocking, you will need to increase the default Speed Shift Max value.