• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ugreen NASync DXP4800 Plus

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
I think it’s worth pointing out that TerraMaster went the Kickstarter route with the TerraMaster D8 Hybrid DAS unit (4x SATA and 4x NVMe) which is ~$200 USD Kickstarter and ~$300 retail.
We have a review coming of that one as well, but it's obviously not a NAS.
Companies have their reasons for doing such things but it also might be a short lived trend.
QNAP has also done crowdfunding campaigns, but not for a NAS.

That wasn't the case before backlash it created; initially warranty was voided if different os has been installed.
Yes, I did see that, but that was before I even had a unit to test.
As for the cpus there are plenty supporting ECC but yeah very few ideal candidates due to power consumption mostly.
Sure, but no consumer/small business NAS type devices seem to ever get them. On top of that, BIOS/UEFI support is needed, which takes extra effort, which not all companies are will to put in at the entry level of their product range.

I've looked hard at the features you mention and that are on this NAS. I can watch video on my mediaplayer using DLNA on my TV. I have a docker with a Logitech Media Server playing all of my audio files through my DAC. And normally I'm using 30% of memory, so I could do more. BUT, it has my files on it, and I don't take any risks exposing them.
Still the thing I mentioned about power consumption is there. It uses more power than similar devices from Synology or Qnap. But since this review doesn't compare it with any other nasses, we just don't know, do we. For the moment, I can't recommend this nas to anyone.
So you found the right device for your needs, but it's not the need of others. I run 4 different Docker images on my DIY NAS and your NAS wouldn't be able to do that, as it doesn't have enough RAM. A lot of people run a media server like Plex or Emby and although I believe Plex should run on your NAS, other options might not work. Some people run small web servers or databases on their NAS, which your hardware wouldn't be suitable for either.

Since TPU has started fresh with NAS testing, we don't have anything to compare with right now, as Arris used different tests and I don't have access to his equipment and lab, so I've had to start over from scratch, but if these kind of reviews prove popular, we'll continue to review NAS devices.

Thank you, you are right. I went to their Kickstarter page and there really is a 2-bay model starting at @$239 (all spots are booked), it is now $259. First round NAS prices are all booked actually, there is a second round now apparently.
Not a second round. Kickstarter campaigns normally have tiered pricing, where "early birds" get a better price and those that come later pays a little bit more. Some companies have 4-5 different pricing tiers for the same product. This is to pull in people with a really, really low price for a few units and then increase it to a price where the company doesn't make a loss. Having been involved in a few crowdfunding campaigns, I have a pretty good insight into how it works and although it might seem scammy at times, it's how the crowdfunding platforms operate.

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Coolermaster Master Liquid ML240L RGB
Memory 64GB DDR4 3200 (4x16GB)
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Display(s) Asus VE276Q, VE278Q and VK278Q triple 27” 1920x1080
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic 650W
VR HMD Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest V1, Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 64bit
We have a review coming of that one as well, but it's obviously not a NAS.

QNAP has also done crowdfunding campaigns, but not for a NAS.
I look forward to the TechPowerup review of the TerraMaster D8 Hybrid DAS (not a NAS). I initially dismissed it when I heard it couldn't do RAID 5 but that might have been a bit hasty. If it can present the drives to a TerraMaster NAS and the NAS can use those drives in software RAID 5 then that might be worth it to some.

I had no idea that QNAP had a product on Kickstarter. Good to know. I don't think going to Kickstarter should be viewed in a negative light. It's probably a good testing ground for companies.

Once again, I backed the UGreen Kickstarter opting for the 8 bay model. I understand it's a bit of a risk but IMO the underlying hardware is worth it. Intel 10 core 12 thread i5 1235U, Thunderbolt, USB 3.2 Gen 2, 8 SATA bays, dual 10GbE, dual NVMe, DDR5 and a PCIe slot for under ~$1000 USD is difficult to find from Synology, QNAP, TerraMaster, Asustore and others. There were a couple of Asustor Lockerstor 10 bay and 8 bay models that had my interest but now its around ~$1200 for an Atom SoC or over ~$2000 for a Xeon. TerraMaster has a few models of interest but its a similar story as you can get a 6, 9 or 12 bay model but it has decidedly lower specs for more money running an Intel N5095 QuadCore.

toooooot

I have on old 2 bay entry level sinology nas. I stopped using it as indented as it seemed too slow for moving my newly watched movies from PC to this device.
I just kept it as a backup device after that.
I am a bit tempted to get Ugreen 2 bay nas from this linup.
Obviously, it would be faster, since it has much more ram nvme slots.
But would it be worth it for me...
I know that time is running out, but I havent decided yet.

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Coolermaster Master Liquid ML240L RGB
Memory 64GB DDR4 3200 (4x16GB)
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Display(s) Asus VE276Q, VE278Q and VK278Q triple 27” 1920x1080
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic 650W
VR HMD Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest V1, Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 64bit
The thing about a turn key NAS is eventually the manufacturer stopes supporting them. My Synology DS1815+ can run DSM 7.1 but not the latest DSM 7.2.1. Why? Well maybe there were some wiz-bang new features in 7.2.x and the hardware simply couldn’t cope. Still, the anemic Atom C2000 series SoC was their choice and they supported it for as long as they wanted to. Had they used something a little more robust then maybe it would have gotten a little further,….maybe,….

All I’m really saying is an ARM or low end x86 processor (like an Atom) isn’t a good choice for my needs. Being able to go with a third party OS is also a nice option if you might want to get a little more life out of a solution no longer supported (secured) by the manufacturer.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
I have on old 2 bay entry level sinology nas. I stopped using it as indented as it seemed too slow for moving my newly watched movies from PC to this device.
I just kept it as a backup device after that.
I am a bit tempted to get Ugreen 2 bay nas from this linup.
Obviously, it would be faster, since it has much more ram nvme slots.
But would it be worth it for me...
I know that time is running out, but I havent decided yet.
You mean that the time it takes to copy files from your PC to the NAS or vice versa is the issue?
Obviously some basic, older NAS models with Arm based SoCs didn't quite manage to hit Gigabit speeds, but that was long time ago.
These days, everything is going to reach Gigabit speeds at a very minimum, with many coming with 2.5 Gbps as standard.
Keep in mind that you're going to need a 2.5 Gbps capable switch as well, although it is possible to set up the Ugreen NAS devices as a pass-through to the rest of the network, except for the two bay unit, which only has one network port.
NVMe won't make much of a difference in your case.