• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Undervolting Dell XPS 14 9440 is it possible?

Zilla81

Is it possible to undervolt XPS 14 with Core Ultra 155, everything is greyed out? I have core virtualization disabled. Thanks
1713201751054.png

Attachments

• System Info.png
    System Info.png
    75.4 KB · Views: 19

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Post a screenshot of the Windows Features window. It looks like you still have something VBS related enabled. Check the guide in my signature and make sure virtualization is disabled in the BIOS.

The top middle of the FIVR window shows Not Available. CPU voltage control does not seem to be a feature of the new Core Ultra series.

Zilla81

1713224104903.png

I turned off everything that had virtualization in my bios. The two items were: Intel Virutalization Technology & VT for Direct I/O. The FIVR table in Throttlestop is still greyed out. Thanks

unclewebb

The FIVR table in Throttlestop is still greyed out.
If you have time can you post an updated FIVR screenshot? I have not done any hands on testing of ThrottleStop on any of the new Core Ultra processors so screenshots help me see what features are still available.

For the 12th, 13th and 14th Gen processors, only the unlocked HX series allowed undervolting. Hopefully Intel releases something similar someday for their new Core Ultra series.

Zilla81

If you have time can you post an updated FIVR screenshot? I have not done any hands on testing of ThrottleStop on any of the new Core Ultra processors so screenshots help me see what features are still available.

For the 12th, 13th and 14th Gen processors, only the unlocked HX series allowed undervolting. Hopefully Intel releases something similar someday for their new Core Ultra series.
When you say updated, what do you mean? The screenshot will be like my previous screenshot
1713244039940.png

unclewebb

The screenshot will be like my previous screenshot
I thought you found a few more virtualization related items to disable. The Core Ultra series seems to be blocking ThrottleStop from reading the values for some items that used to be available in previous Gen CPUs. Intel is taking away all of the fun from enthusiasts.

Zilla81

I thought you found a few more virtualization related items to disable. The Core Ultra series seems to be blocking ThrottleStop from reading the values for some items that used to be available in previous Gen CPUs. Intel is taking away all of the fun from enthusiasts.
The few I found is in the bios screen, when I get home later today I will attach pics of it

As promised here is the screenshot of the virtualization page inside dell bios

Attachments

• PXL_20240415_232406664.jpg
    PXL_20240415_232406664.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 24

Zilla81

So its safe to assume that Throttlestop is not compatible with the Core Ultra series.

So its safe to assume that Throttlestop is not compatible with the Core Ultra series.
I believe the issue is not that Throttlestop is not compatible but that Intel has blocked voltage control on the Ultra series.

You can check if in the TPL window it is possible to change the power limits.

Zilla81

I believe the issue is not that Throttlestop is not compatible but that Intel has blocked voltage control on the Ultra series.

You can check if in the TPL window it is possible to change the power limits.
I can change power limits, what are optimal settings?

I can change power limits, what are optimal settings?
Only you and those who have this model can say that.

Test and find out what is best for your use!

One thing I can say is that all the Dell/Alienware that have come into my hands have seen a huge increase in performance by changing the thermal paste to PTM 7950.

Dell appears to use low quality thermal paste in addition to many application flaws.

Zilla81

Ok I just purchased the laptop a couple of weeks ago. I cleaned installed windows 11 pro. Not ready to apply new paste, will try PTM 7950 when ready. Will tinker around and research a good starting point. Thank you for your input.