• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What are the worst TIMs?

Other than what is at the bottom of the comparison list on TH, what other thermal pastes are the worst, including those from the past?

By worst, I mean greater than 5 degrees worse than the best. I know, I know, that is probably a lot.

I guess I should've made this statement: I'm actually a tester. I have Alphacool Silver, which really does suck. After I'm done with the rest of my AIO tests, which are to find the best positions, I'm going to do videos on large fans and run TIM tests. I have a bag of I guess 30 right now, plus the ones with coolers in my inventory. I also have pads, but the vendor sent most of them without labels and went out of business.

I won't be able to do lab-grade testing, although I have an idea for a device that might work, but I'm not sure how I should use a pot to vary the temp. I really appreciate what people wrote above but I'm not actually looking for advice; not that I won't read and consider it, though!

So, I wanted to start with the crappiest ones first, thus my question.

Last edited:
System Name The beast and the little runt.
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X - Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING - ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570
Cooling Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4a - NH-D15 chromax.black with IPPC Industrial 3000 RPM 120/140 MM fans.
Memory G.SKILL TRIDENT Z ROYAL GOLD/SILVER 32 GB (2 x 16 GB and 4 x 8 GB) 3600 MHz CL14-15-15-35 1.45 volts
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 4060 OC LOW PROFILE - GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC
Storage Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB + 2 TB - Samsung 870 EVO 4 TB - 2 x WD RED PRO 16 GB + WD ULTRASTAR 22 TB
Display(s) Asus 27" TUF VG27AQL1A and a Dell 24" for dual setup
Case Phanteks Enthoo 719/LUXE 2 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Onboard on both boards
Power Supply Phanteks Revolt X 1200W
Mouse Logitech G903 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum
Software WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BITS on both systems
Benchmark Scores Se more about my 2 in 1 system here: kortlink.dk/2ca4x
Hmm i don't really know. But i would guess the cheap gue pre applied to some stock cpu coolers or paste that come with those ultra cheap and crappy cpu coolers on example wish.com or temu or AliExpress.

Else i don't really know what the apselute crappiest paste is.

Processor Intel i5 8400
Motherboard Asus Prime H370M-Plus/CSM
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken & Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM chromax.black.swap
Memory 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ROG-STRIX-GTX1060-O6G-GAMING
Storage 1TB 980 Pro
Display(s) Samsung UN55KU6300F
Case Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 750w
Software W11 Pro
Basically any of the bubblegum flavored $$$/year you see marketed right alongside components that idle above 90C. :)

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple Silicon M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple Silicon M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13.6 (including latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
As far as I can tell, the poorest performing TIMs are the pre-applied ones on coldplates. These are always formulated to be far less viscous than the stuff in syringes so they have less tendency to spread adequately. That's a big deal for me because I don't frequently apply thermal compound; I need something that handles well even by infrequent users like me. Those pre-applied ones are never brand labeled so I have no idea who made those pastes.

I'll use those pre-applied pastes during basic testing/initial hardware setup but once I'm satisfied that everything is working fine, I'll remove the factory stuff, clean the contact surfaces and apply a TIM that I'm familiar with, Arctic MX-4 or Noctua NT-H1. Those certainly aren't "the best" but I'm familiar with how to apply them satisfactorily.

Of course, the worst TIM is no TIM at all but sometimes I'll leave the TIM off if I'm setting up components for a new build just so I don't have to wipe it off. I'll clip on CPU cooler (I have an AMD Stealth Prism) just so I can get into the BIOS, maybe install the operating system, etc. I wouldn't run it at length with a serious workload but there's always enough contact to do mundane stuff.

Last edited:
System Name Banana
Processor Ryzen 9 7900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix B650E-F
Cooling EKWB Nucleus 360 D-Lux
Memory G.Skill 32Gigs DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire 7800XT Pure
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro 1TB Intel 670p
Display(s) Corsair 32UHD144
Case Lian Li Lancool 3
Audio Device(s) Scarlett 2i2 > iLoud Micromonitor
Power Supply EVGA P6 850W Platinum
Mouse Glorius Model D
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 7 Brown
System Name The Dark side of the room
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI MEG X570 Unify
Cooling Custom loop watercooling (Bykski CPU-XPR-POM-M-V2, Alphacool Eisblock GPX, Freezemod PU-PWM5B18W)
Memory GSkill Ripjaws V DDR4 3600 CL16 (4 x 16GB)
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster QICK 319 Radeon RX 6700 XT
Storage 1 x Kingston KC3000 1024GB + 2 x Kingston NV2 2TB
Display(s) LG 34WP65C Ultrawide 3440x1440 @ 160Hz freesync premium
Case Thermaltake Core P90 TG
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek® ALC1220 with Logitech Z906
Power Supply MSI MAG A850GF 80 Plus Gold
Mouse Generic
Keyboard Trust Asta GTX 865
Software Windows 11 pro
Benchmark Scores It's a form of exhibitionism...;-), but fun Software programs just have to run nicely....
Other than what is at the bottom of the comparison list on TH, what other thermal pastes are the worst, including those from the past?

By worst, I mean greater than 5 degrees worse than the best. I know, I know, that is probably a lot.

This is a never ending discussion, there are numerous tests and advices out there with different angles of approach and interpretation of the results.
Reliabillity of the testing and therefore the results, are mainly dictated by the uniformity of testing parameters, execution and most of all prevention of variables, which imo can only be reached under controlled (laboratory) conditions which not many testers can comply to (despite their best intentions and effort).

If you are eager to gain 5 degrees Celsius in cooling capacity with a TIM, don't you think it is wiser to reconsider your cooling solution as a whole? TIM has only a minor impact if used correctly (I already feel comments coming :p) , it is just an interface between your Die/IHS and the cooling solution that has to dissipiate the generated heat as quick as possible.

This of course goes, provided the mating surfaces which the TIM has to be applied to, are flat and uniform so it only has to fill the macro/nano-gaps.
That's one of the reasons the lapping and delidding techniques emerged, just to squeeze that last drop of cooling efficiency, but a total different discussion.

Bottom line; if your cooling solution is capable of keeping your CPU/GPU well within the thermal limits, the TIM won't make the difference, it just has an impact over the overall efficiency of your cooling solution, not the capacity.
If you are running your components on the limit like a lot of peeps here do and want to get the highest benchmarks, than yes it can be benificial to go for the best or extreme solutions, but for regular use I personally think it is quite useless to dive deep into this aspect of cooling.

Just use the TIM's from the known brands that have a good reputation and stay away from the cheap unknown stuff and you're good.

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
Hi,
There is already a thermal paste thread just browse through it I'm sure there are bad pastes and products nobody would think to use.

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Maybe those that harden intentionally, but they may be the ones that last the longest...

@Shrek @ThrashZone @Noci @nomdeplume @cvaldes

I guess I should've made this statement: I'm actually a tester. I have Alphacool Silver, which really does suck. After I'm done with the rest of my AIO tests, which are to find the best positions, I'm going to do videos on large fans and run TIM tests. I have a bag of I guess 30 right now, plus the ones with coolers in my inventory. I also have pads, but the vendor sent most of them without labels and went out of business.

I won't be able to do lab-grade testing, although I have an idea for a device that might work, but I'm not sure how I should use a pot to vary the temp. I really appreciate what people wrote above but I'm not actually looking for advice; not that I won't read and consider it, though!

Memory 16GB DDR3
Memory 16GB DDR3
System Name Main
Processor Ryzen 5950x
Motherboard B550 PG Velocita
Cooling Water
Memory Ballistix
Video Card(s) RX 6900XT
Storage T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO
Display(s) Samsung UE590
Case QUBE 500
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z623
Power Supply LEADEX V 1KW
Mouse Cooler Master MM710
Keyboard Huntsman Elite
Software 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/damric/
worst as in temps? those graphite sheets. But love them because they are reusable.

application? probably that IC diamond stuff, hard as pottery clay, and leaves pits

dangerous? liquid metal if you are a newb

Memory 16GB DDR3
Liquid metal and aluminum don't go well together

Case Apple proprietary
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
I guess I should've made this statement: I'm actually a tester.
Well in that case, you are the one who should be telling us. If you want some inkling of where to start, follow the TH list.

I can't speak for everyone here but I have no interest in shelling out hundreds of dollars to test thermal pastes that Tom's Hardware says all pretty much perform within a few degrees Celsius of each other regardless.

There are probably a couple of people who have had experience with more than 10 pastes over a decade plus of using them but no regular PC owner will test them side-by-side.

And even if someone were to *give* me all the pastes to try for free (which no one will do), what the heck would I do with a 5 lb. bucket of industrial thermal paste after I've frittered away a day or two of my life testing thermal pastes? It's not like I can frost a cake with TIM or sprinkle it in my garden to make my veggies grow healthier.

And for what? To arrive at a list that probably looks close to the TH one? Maybe a couple of positions might be flipped but there's not going to be any major revelation. Someone at TH is getting PAID to do that testing.

To be honest if I wanted to dump a few hundred bucks on side-by-side product testing, it most certainly wouldn't be TIM. I'd pick something like wine, spirits, imported butter, cheeses, chocolate, something else. And I bet I could round up a few friends to help me with the trials.

Even testing bathroom cleaner would be better. At least I can use up a bottle of leftover cleaner or give it away.

Last edited:
Memory 16GB DDR3
I wonder how good no TIM is if one has lapped the surfaces to match.

I seem to recall that the 2 CV had cylinder heads that were lapped instead of a head gasket.

Cooling Custom loop watercooling (Bykski CPU-XPR-POM-M-V2, Alphacool Eisblock GPX, Freezemod PU-PWM5B18W)
Mouse Generic
Software Windows 11 pro
Benchmark Scores It's a form of exhibitionism...;-), but fun Software programs just have to run nicely....
Purely theoretical, it would absolutely be better.

Practically it is impossible to reach that flatness on a macro scale where you'll have a perfect match of both surfaces with current techniques.

Case Apple proprietary
Purely theoretical, it would absolutely be better.

Practically it is impossible to reach that flatness on a macro scale where you'll have a perfect match of both surfaces with current techniques.
It might work in specialized circumstances where the two actual mating surfaces were known, like components on the James Webb Space Telescope.

PC components are commodity parts. They sit on a warehouse or store shelf until someone picks it up and pairs it with other component that also sat on shelf somewhere else. There's no way to generate a surface to be a perfect match with another surface if you don't know which two surfaces will come into contact with each other.

And besides, this is really only a consideration where the budget allows for it. Again, PC parts are commodity items, they are designed to be produced with a cost effective process.

But it's borderline nonsense here at the consumer level, using consumer parts in a consumer environment at a consumer budget.

Last edited:
Mouse Generic
Software Windows 11 pro
It might work in specialized circumstances where the two actual mating surfaces were known, like components on the James Webb Space Telescope.

PC components are commodity parts. They sit on a warehouse or store shelf until someone picks it up and pairs it with other component that also sat on shelf somewhere else. There's no way to generate a surface to be a perfect match with another surface if you don't know which two surfaces will come into contact with each other.

And besides, this is really only a consideration where the budget allows for it. Again, PC parts are commodity items, they are designed to be produced with a cost effective process.

But it's borderline nonsense here at the consumer level, using consumer parts at a consumer budget.
Yup, in space it works because there is pretty much a constant temperature of 2.7 Kelvin (−270 °C; −455 °F).
For your PC components, if it even was commercially possible to reach that precision, you'll have fluctuating temperatures thus also have to consider the variables of the expansion coefficients of different materials that will have impact.

To quote cvaldes accurate colorful description which I fully support: 'Borderline nonsense' in this context :D

Well in that case, you are the one who should be telling us. If you want some inkling of where to start, follow the TH list.

I can't speak for everyone here but I have no interest in shelling out hundreds of dollars to test thermal pastes that Tom's Hardware says all pretty much perform within a few degrees Celsius of each other regardless.

There are probably a couple of people who have had experience with more than 10 pastes over a decade plus of using them but no regular PC owner will test them side-by-side.

And even if someone were to *give* me all the pastes to try for free (which no one will do), what the heck would I do with a 5 lb. bucket of industrial thermal paste after I've frittered away a day or two of my life testing thermal pastes? It's not like I can frost a cake with TIM or sprinkle it in my garden to make my veggies grow healthier.

And for what? To arrive at a list that probably looks close to the TH one? Maybe a couple of positions might be flipped but there's not going to be any major revelation. Someone at TH is getting PAID to do that testing.

To be honest if I wanted to dump a few hundred bucks on side-by-side product testing, it most certainly wouldn't be TIM. I'd pick something like wine, spirits, imported butter, cheeses, chocolate, something else. And I bet I could round up a few friends to help me with the trials.

Even testing bathroom cleaner would be better. At least I can use up a bottle of leftover cleaner or give it away.
Yo, I don't know what is going on in your life, and I'm sorry you're so upset. Please don't take it out on me, ok?

I thought it was understood that I have seen the TH list, and that I'm looking for what is NOT on the list that is bad. Start in the basement, work my way up. You don't have to appreciate, agree with, care about or help - that's your choice. I didn't ask for money or products or anything - just info. If you can't or won't help, that's completely ok. This is something I want to do and, since I've already got a bag of TIM, I might as well. If you don't want to, well, I didn't ask you to, and that's your choice anyways, not mine.

If my list ends up looking like TH's, I don't care. If it looks different, that's fine, too. I have a lack of faith in humanity, so I want to know for myself. I've seen too many shills, too many sell-outs, too many liars, and too many con-artists in my life to put significant trust in just about anyone. That's the sad fact of life. We're just pawns for the elites. Call them Illuminati, Free Masons, Satanists, politicians, lawyers, or whatever - it doesn't even matter. They are consumed by an insatiable desire for MORE, and most of them will throw anyone under the bullet train and then clean up the mess with a smile on their face.

I work for Amazon, which is a self-serving company that does NOT care about you, me or anyone, and is run by psychopaths, narcissists and sycophants. They screwed me over on a work injury by denying me worker's compensation after I spent 6 months doing a job that ruined my shoulder and they refused to give me the assistance that, by policy, was required, and now the financial support that they should. I hope someone puts a slug in Bezos's head by firing through every other senior member of that fucking company. They are shit on the shoe of the world and the worst part is that there are plenty of companies that are worse than Amazon.

I'm trying to get to a place in my life where I don't have to work for shitty companies like that, and pathetic human beings who just make Earth into Hell for their own gratification, and I know that it'll probably never happen, so I really don't need people raining on my intentions and plans with their negativity.

The irony of what YOU would do is:
1) I fully encourage you to go ahead and do it.
2) I do reviews of food and beverages too, and other stuff. I have reviewed over 200 chocolate bars and even did a 100+ bar comparison series, which fucked me up for a while because of how much sugar is in them.
3) The stuff I care about the most, which is certainly not product reviews and tech, almost no one has any interest in watching. I don't edit my videos, I don't agonize over the title and thumbnail. It is there if someone wants to learn from it. If not, that's not my problem.
4) You're not doing those things, are you? Get up off your ass and do it if that's what interests you, but don't come at people who are doing something that you don't want to do and don't value.

So, it boils down to this: I asked for info. If you want to contribute, fantastic. If you don't, then just don't respond. I don't need your negativity, so maybe you might want to think about reading the Power of Positive Thinking, the Magic of Thinking Big or some other self-help book to help you move past whatever has turned you into such an unhappy person. I wish you success with that. Truly.

I seem to recall that the 2 CV had cylinder heads that were lapped instead of a head gasket.
Someone did a video on YT about mating two surfaces by having them be super flat and smooth without the use of any kind of adhesive or whatever. Could've been Veritasium or Steve Mould, I don't recall. Here's a different one, though.

Case Apple proprietary
I just don't see how well I'd be able to review TIMs and monetize the reviews to the point that they would make more money than me doing other things with my waking hours.

Apparently you have access (discounted or free) to TIMs for testing. Most of us here do not so that's already a sticking point. Somehow you carefully ignored this detail which I assume you will do again.

If you want to review food and beverage, consider spitting. The pros do (tea, coffee, beer, wine, spirits, etc.). Taste not eat.

I did contribute by saying that I think the worst TIMs are the ones that are pre-applied on coldplates.

When you finalize your list of reviewed TIMs, let us know. I know there are some who will be fascinated by your list.

Best of luck with your endeavors!

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
Worst I've ever seen is IC Diamond 7. There was much drama over that here at TPU...

I just don't see how well I'd be able to review TIMs and monetize the reviews to the point that they would make more money than me doing other things with my waking hours.
Maybe not, but it's not the only project for my tech channel.

Apparently you have access (discounted or free) to TIMs for testing.
I got them from a company that was going out of business, if you must know.
Most of us here do not so that's already a sticking point. Somehow you carefully ignored this detail which I assume you will do again.
How is it a sticking point? I'm just asking people what they know, letting them contribute in whatever way they can. So, I'm not ignoring anything - you're making an erroneous inference, and being rude. Again, if you want to be rude, go elsewhere. I guarantee that I am bad entertainment value for trolls and grumpy people.
If you want to review food and beverage, consider spitting. The pros do (tea, coffee, beer, wine, spirits, etc.). Taste not eat.
Look, I didn't ask for you advice on that, and your hostility already disinclines me to listen to you. That channel was monetized a year or so ago, and I've got so many thousands of reviews that YouTube can't even count them. Then again, YT Studio is miserably bad at enumerating the number of videos you have once they get into the hundreds. I'm not bragging - I'm just stating facts. It's not like the channel earns enough yet for my expenses to be covered, let alone for me to quit my job.
I did contribute by saying that I think the worst TIMs are the ones that are pre-applied on coldplates.
Thank you.
When you finalize your list of reviewed TIMs, let us know. I know there are some who will be fascinated by your list.

Best of luck with your endeavors!
It won't happen anytime soon.
Thank you. I hope that you find something that'll make you happy.

Memory 16GB DDR3
Will you include hard setting TIM? (to resist pump-out)

Case Apple proprietary
Reading TPU is very entertaining for sure!

Thank you!

:):p:D:lovetpu: