• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What is your startup time for GIMP?

2023-04-05-213749_1920x1080_scrot.png

I suspect that you can easily time the startup time of apps in all operating systems. In FreeBSD you do this with the 'time' command.
The time command displays three values (real, user, sys)
The 'real' value has nothing to do with the startup time, it simply says how long the app has been open. The total startup time is the user + sys value.
So for GIMP in my case: 2.29s + 0.24s = 2.53s (total startup time)

If you would not use GIMP but Photoshop, Affinity Photo, or Capture One Pro, you can of course also post your results.
These are four apps that actually achieve very similar results on average.
This way we can compare which app makes you lose the least time, which makes you more productive and allows you to achieve more advanced results in the same time period.

When you post, please include your specific hardware, photo editing app and operating system.

I tested it today on newer hardware.

This is the speed at which it opens the first time:
Screenshot_2023-11-26_22-24-28.png

Result: 0.899 second total startup time

Here you can see how fast GIMP opens when I open it after it has already been opened and closed once.
Screenshot_2023-11-24_18-12-44.png

Result: 0.691 second total startup time

Software: PCLinuxOS -- XFCE -- Nvidia proprietary driver -- F2FS (root) file system -- GIMP version 2.10.36
Hardware: Intel 12600KF (stock) -- Kingston 6000 MHz CL40 -- GTX 650 1GB -- BIOSTAR B760MZ-E PRO -- Antec P6 -- Xilence XP550 -- ARCTIC i35 -- EVO 850 500GB

What startup time do you achieve in GIMP or in a similar raster graphics editor?

In my tests, Clear Linux + F2FS is slower for opening GIMP than PCLinuxOS + F2FS.

But the startup time of GIMP on Clear Linux + F2FS is still fast and usually 0.9xx second.

I wonder if it is possible to open Photoshop in less than one second on the most powerful hardware?

Result: 1.592 seconds total startup time

This is the startup time for Krita when I have opened and closed the app twice.

Hardware: Intel 12600KF (stock) -- Kingston 6200 MHz CL36 -- Sapphire RX 7600 -- BIOSTAR B760MZ-E PRO -- Antec P6 -- Xilence XP550 -- ARCTIC i35 -- EVO 850 500GB
Software: Calculate Linux, KDE Plasma, Mesa open-source driver, XFS file system, Krita 5.1.5

Both GIMP and Krita open fairly quickly. It is often said that GIMP is less good for painting and better for photo manipulation. Krita is supposedly better for painting and less good for photo manipulation. But for the typical tasks I personally do, it makes little difference which of the two I use. I've also seen professionals using GIMP for painting, these were talented people. And their results were exactly the level of the best Krita users. Likewise, I have seen Krita users achieve photo manipulation results that were best in class. I think that the app has little impact on the result and that both GIMP and Krita are very powerful tools for both photo manipulation and painting.

The tools provided by Krita for editing digital paint work just as well for pixels representing a photograph.

Krita can open PSD files that even Photoshop cannot open.

Since version 4.2.1, Krita's brushes and other basic components are also faster than Photoshop's, which has been revealed in performance tests.

Krita comes with preinstalled GMIC, 100s of filters right from the box, and it has more brushes than GIMP.
Maybe that's the reason why the startup time is slower than GIMP.

Another possible explanation for the difference in boot time between GIMP and Krita is the difference in the code.
GIMP is programmed in C, while Krita is programmed in C++.
The Apache HTTPD webserver is in C++. NginX is in C. The latter wins all the benchmarks. And this is because it has no overhead from object-oriented rules.

Perhaps there are similar reasons why a raster graphics editor may start up faster when written in C than in C++.
In many cases C is inherently faster than C++.

It is also possible that C make you a better programmer. Code that utilizes the stack over the heap when possible etc.
In C++ you'll be more inclined to just use the heap for everything.
Linus said: “C++ can’t solve the problem of the C language at all, it will only make things worse. This is a really bad language.”
in Linus’s view, C++ solves all the wrong problems.
C++ leads to really really bad design choices. He says that developers “invariably start using the ‘nice’ library features of the language like STL and Boost and other total and utter crap,” that may “help” you program, but they cause infinite amounts of pain when they don’t work and inefficient abstracted programming models.

Linus allowed Rust but not C++. Rust is better than C++ in memory management, concurrency and many other areas.