• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Whats your favourite Linux Distro?

Debian + xfce. Something about the default desktop layout made me fall in love with it. It did require some research to get Nvidia GPU, Steam, and Proton to work properly, but it was all documented on their wiki.

The other distros I tried had too much crap installed by default. Do I really need 3+ package managers? Why are there 3+ applications to control CPU power/idle states? They trip over each other, making the PC run like crap.

Nobara, MX Linux, and another I forget the name of, wouldn't let me select my SSD for installation. It wasn't listed in the install wizard.

System Name Lenovo Legion 5i Gen 6
Processor Intel i5 11400H
Memory 32gb DDR4 3200mhz Crucial Sodimm
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 3060 6GB 130w
Storage 500GB Samsung NVME / 2TB WD Blue NVME
Display(s) External Aorus 1440p 165hz 27"
Mouse Logitech G520 Hero / Logitech MX Master
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys
Software Windows 11 Home
PopOS for it simplicity and ease of use or EndeavourOS for that Arch feel and painless setup.

System Name SOCIETY
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7800x3D
Motherboard MSI MAG X670E TOMAHAWK
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 64GB 6000mhz
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 3090
Storage WD SN850X 4TB, Micron 1100 2TB, ZFS NAS over 10gbe network
Display(s) 27" Dell S2721DGF, 24" ASUS IPS, 24" Dell IPS
Case Corsair 750D
Power Supply Cooler Master 1200W Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder
Keyboard ROG Falchion
VR HMD Pimax 8KX
Software Windows 10 with Debian VM
I love Debian because life is short. It's the perfect blend of non-disruptive, convenient, easy, reliable, and easy to find documentation & answers for.
In recent years I've noticed some oddities with for example how it approached the migration to systemd. I've also thought about how systems like Nix could be superior to trying to capture my system changes I will inevitably forget over time. But, it's just so trustworthy that there isn't a significant reason for me to ever move to anything else.

In my earlier days I tried ubuntu and mint, but moved to Debian to get closer to 'normal'. I also tried slackware but again, life is too short for slackware's terrible approach to package management.

You know what's more important though? KDE. If I need a WM, KDE better be there because really there has never been a better environment ever. Not elsewhere on Linux, not on windows, and certainly not on macos which has among the worst UIs.

Also, even if I wasnt a Debian user, I'd still give a lot of love to the Debian community. Were it not for them, issues like the xz vulnerability would not have been discovered. They just are one of the biggest and best communities at keeping linux going.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
I love Debian because life is short. It's the perfect blend of non-disruptive, convenient, easy, reliable, and easy to find documentation & answers for.
In recent years I've noticed some oddities with for example how it approached the migration to systemd. I've also thought about how systems like Nix could be superior to trying to capture my system changes I will inevitably forget over time. But, it's just so trustworthy that there isn't a significant reason for me to ever move to anything else.

In my earlier days I tried ubuntu and mint, but moved to Debian to get closer to 'normal'. I also tried slackware but again, life is too short for slackware's terrible approach to package management.

You know what's more important though? KDE. If I need a WM, KDE better be there because really there has never been a better environment ever. Not elsewhere on Linux, not on windows, and certainly not on macos which has among the worst UIs.

Also, even if I wasnt a Debian user, I'd still give a lot of love to the Debian community. Were it not for them, issues like the xz vulnerability would not have been discovered. They just are one of the biggest and best communities at keeping linux going.
Interesting. Most people say mint. Would Debian or Mint be more intuitive for a non-linux user coming over from windows?

Interesting. Most people say mint. Would Debian or Mint be more intuitive for a non-linux user coming over from windows?

Mint and KDE neon will be easier than Debian. Because Debian is not meant to be the most user-friendly desktop system.

Mint and KDE neon are the safest choice for new users.

There are a few other options easier than Debian.

mageia
PCLinuxOS
OpenMandriva LX

Maybe even Calculate Linux + KDE Plasma is more user friendly than Debian for a newbee.

I use the command line for maintaining Calculate Linux but I see that you can update it via the GUI popups.

I guess a newbee can quickly learn Calculate Linux and do (almost) anything that you would do with Debian.

In terms of startup time Calculate Linux (XFS), Clear Linux and Devuan are the three fastest systems on new (very modern) hardware in my experience.

It's rewarding to learn Calculate even when it is slightly harder than Mint, KDE neon and mageia.

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D @ 5.15ghz BCLK OC, TG AM5 High Performance Heatspreader
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I, chipset fans removed
Cooling Optimus AMD Raw Copper/Plexi, HWLABS Copper 240/40+240/30, D5, 4x Noctua A12x25, Mayhems Ultra Pure
Memory 32 GB Dominator Platinum 6150 MHz 26-36-36-48, 56.6ns AIDA, 2050 FLCK, 160 ns TRFC
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, Conductonaut Extreme, 18 W/mK MinusPad Extreme, Corsair XG7 Waterblock
Storage Intel Optane DC P1600X 118 GB, Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB
Display(s) 32" 240 Hz 1440p Samsung G7, 31.5" 165 Hz 1440p LG NanoIPS Ultragear
Case Sliger SM570 CNC Aluminium 13-Litre, 3D printed feet, custom front panel with pump/res combo
Audio Device(s) Audeze Maxwell Ultraviolet, Razer Nommo Pro
Power Supply SF750 Plat, transparent full custom cables, Sentinel Pro 1500 Online Double Conversion UPS w/Noctua
Mouse Razer Viper Pro V2 Mercury White w/Tiger Ice Skates & Pulsar Supergrip tape
Keyboard Wooting 60HE+ module, TOFU Redux Burgundy w/brass weight, Prismcaps White & Jellykey, lubed/modded
Software Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 19053.3803
Benchmark Scores Legendary
Nobara is OK. I have it on the laptop.

Like all Linux though it's work to get things working.

Not everyone wants to spend time and brainpower to have things "just work".

System Name Fujitsu Siemens, HP Workstation
Processor Athlon x2 5000+ 3.1GHz, i5 2400
Motherboard Asus
Memory 4GB Samsung
Video Card(s) rx 460 4gb
Storage 750 Evo 250 +2tb
Display(s) Asus 1680x1050 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) Pioneer
Power Supply 430W
Mouse Acme
Keyboard Trust
Nobara looks like W10.