• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Change GPU or PSU ? Games looks bad with microsuttering

Hi All ,
I hope everyone is doing fine.

The thing is that back in September I changed my GPU for a Gigabyte 4070 Eagle OC, since I made the change I am seeing a situation where games look sharp and feel slower than expected, that does not always happen but when it does it is quite annoying because I need to reboot or shutdown my pc multiple times until it fixes.

At first I thought that the problem was a bottleneck, at that time my cpu was an i7 8700k, a few months ago I changed my entire PC except the PSU for a 7800x3d ,etc. Unfortunately the problem didn't go away, so now I find myself with two options that are similar in cost, or change my PSU or change the GPU again. Both cost around 200 USD , my provider here told me that they can take my 4070 and adding 200 usd more they will give a new MSI Ventus x3 4070s and a power supply cost also around 200 USD

Here is my question , what do you guys suspect is the issue here ? I have been told more than once that if the PSU was failing, I should see other problems with my PC not only this situation in games. And for the GPU I run multiple testing tools , none of them failed or give my any temps issues.

I will leave a video which isn't mine but shows exactly what the issue is , note that for me doesn't happen always ( that is a bit weird to understand as well) , i mean that I can sometimes play without issues , games look and feel exactly how they should.

Note that I tried every single software tweak that i found , I been trying to fix this for a long time.

Thank you very much in advance!
Have a nice weekend.

Last edited:
System Name Vergil (I NEED MORE POWER)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-A
Cooling EVGA CLC 280mm
Memory 16GB G.SKILL Trident Royal Z Silver
Video Card(s) Radeon 6800XT Red Devil
Storage Plenty
Display(s) Acer RG241Y
Case Thermaltake VG200
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar STX -> JVC SP-402 / Sennheiser HD58X
Power Supply XPG 750W Core Reactor
Mouse Razer DeathAdder
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Origins Red
Do you have this issue only on Destiny 2 or ALL other games?
D2 can give quite the headache if you don't properly set settings on it

Also, please provide a detailed list of your PC specs, would you kindly?

Do you have this issue only on Destiny 2 or ALL other games?
D2 can give quite the headache if you don't properly set settings on it

Also, please provide a detailed list of your PC specs, would you kindly?
That was a video from someone else but what im seeing the same thing with games like Rocket League , Resident evil 4 Remake , The Witcher 3, etc .

My Pc specs :

Cpu: Ryzen 7 7800x3d

Mobo: Asus rog b650e-f

Ram: Kingston beast 6000mhz cl36 32gb

Gpu: Gigabyte eagle OC 4070

Power supply: Seasonic SSR-750FX Plus GOLD ( I have this one for the last 5 years)

Thank you!

System Name Vergil (I NEED MORE POWER)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-A
Cooling EVGA CLC 280mm
Memory 16GB G.SKILL Trident Royal Z Silver
Video Card(s) Radeon 6800XT Red Devil
Storage Plenty
Display(s) Acer RG241Y
Case Thermaltake VG200
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar STX -> JVC SP-402 / Sennheiser HD58X
Power Supply XPG 750W Core Reactor
Mouse Razer DeathAdder
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Origins Red
I'm no expert, but if PSU is failing, i suspect you would have severe crashes or shutdown instead of just stutter, however, you could take screenshots of some voltages under load with HWinfo and put them here so the more educated can analyze

On another note, try limiting the maximum FPS of all games to something like 60 or slightly higher and see if it starts still stutters

Do you also notice any weird behavior while using the PC not for gaming? Like videos or just browsing?

I'm no expert, but if PSU is failing, i suspect you would have severe crashes or shutdown instead of just stutter, however, you could take screenshots of some voltages under load with HWinfo and put them here so the more educated can analyze

On another note, try limiting the maximum FPS of all games to something like 60 or slightly higher and see if it starts still stutters

Do you also notice any weird behavior while using the PC not for gaming? Like videos or just browsing?
Yes , I been told about that , if this was a PSU issue I probably should see crashes or random shutdowns but since is the only part that I have from my old PC , that's what makes me doubt. I already trying limiting FPS ,didnt work. Just for gaming , for daily tasks works fine.

Maybe it's a V-Sync thing?
I have V-sync off , but I been tweaking software from Nvidia and windows since the issues started and nothing worked so far

ir_cow

Staff member
I'd been playing D2 for years now. No shuttering yet on NVIDIA like I see if your video. So not sure whats going on.

System Name Phat Cat
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard MSI B550 Pro
Cooling ID Cooling SE-224XT with 120mm Noctua, 2x200mm Noctua, 2x140 Noctua
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury 3200mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3070 TUF OC
Storage Kingston NV2 2 Tb
Display(s) Dell G3223D
Case Thermaltake Commander C32
Audio Device(s) Audigy 5/RX + Audigy 2 Bay
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower GF1-750W
Software Windoze 11
Destiny 2 is an old game that required a GTX 970/1060 and will not load the 4070 more than 20-50%. This will make the GPU to enter a low level performance profile.
You have the same issues with newer games also?

BTW do you have a HDD installed in your system?

1714804310673.png

here is a sample from RDR2 on a RTX3070 and as you can see GPU is 97% loaded and the limit is set to "power" and no issues for me

But... GTA5.....42% GPU load and only 142W

1714804892279.png

You can see voltage limit instead of power and the frametime shows a microstuter, that spike.

PUGB menu
1714806158618.png

PUBG 100% render and 100 FPS lock
1714806218139.png

PUBG 120% render and 100 FPS lock
1714806273688.png

You can play arround with Nvidia power mizer and EVGA GPU software to lock "boost" and also game render.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
games look sharp and feel slower than expected, that does not always happen but when it does it is quite annoying
Umm, looking "sharp" is a good thing. Is that what you meant to say?

I changed my entire PC except the PSU for a 7800x3d
Oh? I don't see where you changed the monitor.

In any case, if the PSU was the problem, it would not cause the image to be more (or less) "sharp". Nor would it cause the system to "slow" down. Stop? Yes. But not "slow".

Destiny 2 is an old game that required a GTX 970/1060 and will not load the 4070 more than 20-50%. This will make the GPU to enter a low level performance profile.
You have the same issues with newer games also?

BTW do you have a HDD installed in your system?

View attachment 346208

here is a sample from RDR2 on a RTX3070 and as you can see GPU is 97% loaded and the limit is set to "power" and no issues for me

But... GTA5.....42% GPU load and only 142W

View attachment 346210

You can see voltage limit instead of power and the frametime shows a microstuter, that spike.

PUGB menu
View attachment 346211

PUBG 100% render and 100 FPS lock
View attachment 346212

PUBG 120% render and 100 FPS lock
View attachment 346213

You can play arround with Nvidia power mizer and EVGA GPU software to lock "boost" and also game render.
That video isnt mine , i dont play destiny 2. I showed that one because the video looks similar from what im seeing with games like Rocket League , Resident evil 4 Remake , The Witcher 3, etc . Not sure if got it right but the frametime has to be as close to a line as possible without spikes? Spikes at frametime mean suttering ?

Umm, looking "sharp" is a good thing. Is that what you meant to say?

Oh? I don't see where you changed the monitor.

In any case, if the PSU was the problem, it would not cause the image to be more (or less) "sharp". Nor would it cause the system to "slow" down. Stop? Yes. But not "slow".
No , with "sharp" i meant that the games looks bad , colors are to strong and the graphics details seem to be off , like the video. I didn't change the monitor , I been thinking about that , maybe try with another monitor at the same time I'm seeing these issues , and see what happens. The most strange thing for me is that the issues doesn't happen always and maybe a restart or shutdown can fix it , other times can take me a few reboots or shutdowns to solve

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
No , with "sharp" i meant that the games looks bad , colors are to strong and the graphics details seem to be off , like the video.
Well, "sharp" is not a word used by the industry that describes your symptoms. As I noted above, a monitor that displays a "sharp" image would be a good thing, not bad. In any case, that would not be a power supply issue, but rather a faulty graphics solution, a bad adjustment with the graphics solution or monitor adjustments, or a bad monitor.

You definitely need to try another monitor - if for no other reason than to eliminate your current monitor from the equation. I would try a different cable too.

Well, "sharp" is not a word used by the industry that describes your symptoms. As I noted above, a monitor that displays a "sharp" image would be a good thing, not bad. In any case, that would not be a power supply issue, but rather a faulty graphics solution, a bad adjustment with the graphics solution or monitor adjustments, or a bad monitor.

You definitely need to try another monitor - if for no other reason than to eliminate your current monitor from the equation. I would try a different cable too.
Sorry if I'm confusing things using the "crispy" definition. I tried on my TV and a 1600x900 monitor that i have , I can confirm that with my TV the issues seems to be less noticeable , the micro stuttering is there but not as much as my monitor (MSI MAGCQR 32 QHD 144hz) , for example The Witcher seems to be a lot smoother at my TV than the monitor , I need to test more but maybe the issue here is my monitor

ir_cow

Staff member
That video isnt mine , i dont play destiny 2. I showed that one because the video looks similar from what im seeing with games like Rocket League , Resident evil 4 Remake , The Witcher 3, etc .
.......... The video seemed to be just about micro shuttering. Imagine quality is the just the video rec quality Id assume.

.......... The video seemed to be just about micro shuttering. Imagine quality is the just the video rec quality Id assume.
For me I can also see colors to be more strong and image seems to be without anti-aliasing , something like that , the most strange things is like maybe after a reboot everything fixes and games work/see perfectly

Eerst dacht ik dat het moe was of dat mijn zicht 2 tot 3 jaar geleden was verslechterd (ik heb nu een bril voor close reading, ik kan goed zien op afstand), toen begon Windows gek te doen met wachtwoorden.
Nou toen ging het helemaal mis, ramen waren niet meer geldig (retailKey).
Telefoon (authenticator) alle wachtwoorden verdwenen en in korte tijd goolge hetzelfde.
Ik heb het als volgt opgelost.

1/(Ik moet melden dat ik al een tijdje gezoem hoorde voordat dit allemaal gebeurde.)

2/ toen dacht ik dat het een van de stroomkabels voor de VGA was.
Ook kreeg ik de melding dat deze VGA niet compatibel is of niet genoeg stroom krijgt.
Ik verving dit na 1 1/2 dag en het begon opnieuw.
Ik had immers net een nieuwe retailsleutel gekocht en had gelezen en ervaren dat met minder geheugen bij het installeren van de computer, het sneller is, dus ik verwijderde de modules 4x4 = 16 gig bij het installeren van 8.
En ja, tot de 5e keer opstarten heb ik de andere 8 gig er na de installatie weer in gezet, maar dat hielp niet en langzaam voelde het als ...... oude man die de simpele dingen en de computer niet snapt.

maar vaughe hoorde ik azoemen van de computer, dus ik verving de PSU van mijn andere computer en schakelde okok grote verbetering, dus ik dacht,
En ik was duidelijk.?
Nee, ik was niet omdat ik begon met Battle Field 2043 en het leek en slecht en ook toen ik de instellingen verlaagde van ultiem naar eenvoudig en van 3840x2160 sorry correctie 3440x2160 ook 1980x1080.
Ik opende mijn referentie GTX1080ti nvidia opnieuw toegepast op de greace.
wat verbeteren, maar de grote in het bewijzen en / oplossing die ik heb gekregen door AMD RYZEN Master te gebruiken als je naar geavanceerde instellingen gaat, kun je testen en toepassen en dit werkte als een bautifull juweeltje.

Mijn systeem :
Ryzen 7 5800x
Crossair 4 x4gig SPD 3000
Asus B550 A-Gaming
2 x 2280 NVME 980 Pro 1TB
Koeling door waterloop van Thermalright 280

Veel succes, ik hoop dat je net als ik wat verbetering zult aanbrengen.
Eerst dacht ik dat het moe was of dat mijn zicht 2 tot 3 jaar geleden was verslechterd (ik heb nu een bril voor close reading, ik kan goed zien op afstand), toen begon Windows gek te doen met wachtwoorden.

At first I thought it was being tired or that my vision had deteriorated 2 to 3 years ago (I now have glasses for close reading, I can see well at a distance), then Windows started acting crazy with passwords.
Well then things went completely wrong windows were no longer valid (retailKey).
telephone (authenticator) all passwords gone and in a short period goolge same.
I solved it as follows.

1/(I have to report that I had been hearing humming for a while before all this happened.)

2/ then I thought it was one of the power cables for the VGA.
I also received the message that this VGA is not compatible or does not receive enough power.
I replaced this after 1 1/2 days and it started again.
After all, I had just bought a new retail key and had read and experienced that with less memory when installing the computer, it is faster, so I removed the modules 4x4 = 16 gig when installing 8.
And yes, until the 5th boot, I put the other 8 gig back in after the install, but that didn't help and slowly in felt like ...... old man who doesn't get the simple things and computer.

but vaughe i heard abuzz from the computer so i replaced the psu from my other computer and switched okok big improvement so i thought,
And i was in the clear.?
Nope i was not because i started Battle field 2043 and it appeared and bad and also when i lowered the settings from ultimate to simple and from 3840x2160 sorry correction 3440x2160 too 1980x1080.
i opened my reference GTX1080ti nvidia reapplied the greace.
some improvemend but the big in proving and / solution i gained by using ing AMD RYZEN Master if you go to advanced settings you can test and apply and this worked like a bautifull gem.

My system :
Ryzen 7 5800x
crossair 4 x4gig spd 3000
Asus B550 a-Gaming
2 x 2280 nvme 980 pro 1TB
Cooling by waterloop from Thermalright 280

good luck i hope you will make some improvement like me.

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Here is a capture from Afterburner that shows the frametime graph , i been playing the last hour. If anyone sees something that catches their attention, let me know. Thank you very much

1714881970992.png

Hai i would recommend
first question :
did you change or modify the setting from youre graphic's because you have 2 x graphics card if i am not mistaking ,
one in the cpu and youre nvidia.
if you have set by example:
Youre nvidia by this
start / setttings/under recommended settings/screen (monitor)/Graphics OR at the second photo at the location
Gaming/Gamemodus
and if you have changed/assigned how youre card has to process it
by (i thought ) 3 options (let windows dicide,nvidia full power,nvidia save power)
so by this setting you can assign a task for your lockscreen example (agenda/email/contacts ).
When you come back just before you unlock the start screen you will see what you had choicen.
if it shows you did so change it back.
so you have to be clear/solid because 2 grapics cards who does what and the computer does not know so that could be also a issu(solution)/cause.
but i guess its youre watt(Powersupplyunit)
Schermafbeelding 2024-05-05 161259.png
Schermafbeelding 2024-05-05 161658 foto2.png

logic i think because cpu and intergraded vga and a hongery beest of a 4070 (he needs a lot of energie.)
by example i have ryzen 7 5800X and refrence nvidia 1080 ti and rgb
before i had already 650 and i experianced a lot similair now i have 750watt
so i guess its not effciant enough for youre system.

to test or buy bigger (more watt) psu
when you have changed it you will see a small inprovemend but you not there jet.
than download AMD Ryzen master util at AMD.com install and let the program inprove the curve and some thing else (i forgot out of my head).
in this program TAKE BASIC Vieuw) and you have the options
Test
Test and apply

and all you change (not all at ones) Is the right side (PROFILE)
inprove Only when set he goesa test the setting the optimized curve

when sucsseed this tesat applythe results.
at a later time you can also test the same setting but by a profile name oc.

good luck !!!!!
this was for me trhe solution.
all stotter/hick up was gone by video watching as well by gaming.

My senceer regards
remko wijgman

https://www.amd.com/system/files/documents/ryzen-master-quick-reference-guide.pdf