• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Razer Huntsman V3 Pro Line With Analog Optical Switches Gen-2 Unleashes Precision

System Name G-Station 1.17 FINAL
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi
Cooling DeepCool AK620 Digital
Memory Asgard Bragi DDR4-3600CL14 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900 XTX
Storage 240GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB Asgard AN2, 2TB Hiksemi FUTURE-LITE, 320GB+1TB 7200RPM HDD
Display(s) Samsung 34" Odyssey OLED G8
Case Thermaltake Level 20 MT
Audio Device(s) Astro A40 TR + MixAmp
Power Supply Cougar GEX X2 1000W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite (Red)
Software Windows 11 Pro

pixbin

The thing I don't like about ASUS is their obnoxious "gamer aesthetic" they tend to get carried away with on things like their motherboards and GPUs and peripherals. I can't stand their ROG Eye logo. But the BIGGEST con I hold against them is Armoury Crate, which I'm pretty sure we should just refer to as a virus at this point. It's literally the main reason I avoid ASUS like the plague, and that's very unfortunate because I loved their BIOS and the looks of their Crosshair boards. I said virus earlier because, before I got my X670E Aorus Master, I'd purchased the X670E Hero, which meant having to install Armoury Crate...But things didn't work out with the board and I ended up trading it for the Master. But even after using ASUS' own Armoury Crate Uninstall tool, I've STILL got bits and pieces of it floating around my system - can't get rid of it no matter what I do. Been this way for months.
Armoury Crate, What specific problem did you have?

System Name Red Devil
Processor AMD 5950x - Vermeer - B0
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm; 14 x Corsair QL 120mm RGB Case Fans
Memory G.SKill Trident Z Neo 32GB Kit DDR4-3600 CL14 (F4-3600C14Q-32GTZNB)
Video Card(s) PowerColor's Red Devil Radeon RX 6900 XT (Navi 21 XTX)
Storage 2 x Western Digital SN850 1GB; 1 x Samsung SSD 870EVO 2TB
Display(s) 3 x Asus VG27AQL1A; 1 x Sony A1E OLED 4K
Case Corsair Obsidian 1000D
Audio Device(s) Corsair SP2500; Steel Series Arctis Nova Pro Wireless (XBox Version)
Power Supply AX1500i Digital ATX - 1500w - 80 Plus Titanium
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Razer Huntsman V2 - Optical Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11
Mostly really bad quality experiences and also their general "mountain dew-esc" marketing nonsense, its just a bit of a fake brand that does more "wooh we are gamurs yall" and less letting the products talk for themselves.
Are you buying the entry level Razer products?

Am I the only one that can barely see the details in the last 2 photos? Also what's the polling rate? Personally I don't like a full 4mm key travel either.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI)
Cooling Corsair iCUE H115i Elite Capellix 280mm
Memory 32GB G.Skill DDR4 3600Mhz CL18
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 3070 Ti TUF Gaming OC Edition
Storage Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF
Case Corsair iCUE 4000X
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D2X
Power Supply Corsair AX760 Platinum
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2 - Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K70 MK.2 Low-Profile Rapidfire
Software Microsoft Windows 11 Pro (64-bit)
Are you buying the entry level Razer products?

Even if you are, is your product supposed to break?

All I can say is, keyboards and mice have become rediculous expensive, people are paying for logos and brand names, no wonder the leather jacket man doesn't want to offer GPU's near the $175 mark anymore when gamers are willing to fork out $250 for a keyboard. :roll:

I have the wooting 60he great HE board but for some reason I always go back to “normal” mechanical keyboards with the ttc silver v2s

got myself the razer 75% v4 and love it. Now and then go back to the wooting but I have mixed feelings with HE keyboards … or should I say switches.
All in all it’s all about what you prefer

System Name Firestarter
Processor 7950X
Motherboard X670E Steel Legend
Cooling LF 2 420
Memory 4x16 G.Skill X5 6000@CL36
Video Card(s) RTX Gigabutt 4090 Gaming OC
Storage OS: 2TB P41 Plat, 2TB SN770, 1TB SN770
Display(s) FO48U, some dinky TN 10.1 inch display.
Case Fractal Torrent
Audio Device(s) PC38X
Power Supply GF3 TT Premium 850W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard OG Razer Black Widow
Got my Razer Basilisk V3 Pro on sale. Good mouse. Like it better than the G901.

My G903 (The older variant forgot the name.) got the infamous double click issue then finally died to a 4 foot carpet drop. It did serve for multiple years so I'm not unimpressed.

Hopefully the V3 will serve me well! :)

The new Wooting 80HE should be an interesting KB Have one on order with Gateron Magnetic Jade switches and I might check this KB out for a personal comparison/review.

Last edited:

chop

I was looking at the Basilisk V3 Pro. I "upgraded" to a MX Master 3S coming off of a G700s that I've had for nearly a decade, but that thing eats a AA NiMH battery in less than a day, and destroys them in a few months.

But I got back into Warzone and quickly realized something was off. I never noticed till now that the Master 3S only has a 125Hz polling rate. And it doesn't work wired, which is annoying as hell.

The no brainer is getting a G502X, but I'm very hesitant as myself and my kids burned out 3 G502 Hero's in less than a year. There's a reason they go on sale for $35 and they've sold 50,000+ on Amazon - they're JUNK.

What other mice come close to the V3 Pro and G502X+ in features/fit/function?

My Corsair keyboard is also freaking terrible. Keycaps just fall off in the middle of gaming. Also had horrible quality issues with they're lower end headsets, so I've crossed them off my brand list.
I have a Basilisk V3 Pro. It's the best, most comfortable and feature-rich mouse I've ever used, and I am NOT a Razer fanboy. It's actually the first Razer product I've ever bought.

System Name Red Devil
Audio Device(s) Corsair SP2500; Steel Series Arctis Nova Pro Wireless (XBox Version)
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Software Windows 11
Even if you are, is your product supposed to break?

All I can say is, keyboards and mice have become rediculous expensive, people are paying for logos and brand names, no wonder the leather jacket man doesn't want to offer GPU's near the $175 mark anymore when gamers are willing to fork out $250 for a keyboard. :roll:
This is truly a problem with the market and I agree with you. I am someone who has gone though so so so many keyboards and mice that I have come to the conclusion that sub $100 on either of those devices are hardly worth it. I'll replace them more than paying for the expensive one originally...let's not even talk about all the e-waste I have accumulated. I have used off brand and Logitech gaming devices...off brand I have had software issues. Logitech mice and keyboards just start falling apart regardless of the price segment. A couple weeks ago I bought a new Logitech G502 X for my MacBook because Razer's software doesn't support MacOS (at least from what I read). That G502 felt so damn cheap and I know it won't last long with any extensive game play and that mouse was $130. Oh and the software sucks on Mac. Works good for now. ...I should have just gotten the Basilisk V3 Pro Wireless. /sigh

To your final point, am I suppose to boycott and wait for the industry to bend to my will? Or do I have to put things into perspective...prices are going up EVERY WHERE. I can't buy a box of cereal at the same price I did last year, but I expect my computer peripherals to be the same price a decade ago?

It took me a long time and I do mean a long time to leave Logitech and others...but the Razer products I have bought recently have been worth every penny. As soon as Razer products start to feel like and last as long as Logitech products, I'm dumping them too.

If you like a product, buy 2 so when you replace it the cost won't be more for the same item later on, or in a hard lesson learned 25yrs ago, they no longer make the mouse, lol

My 2 cents/review as a dad who games with his kids, an esports coach for four teams for six years, a computer science teacher, and a PC scratchbuilder/overclocker/hardware enthusiast:

Razer Huntsman TKL w/ optical switches is the best keyboard I've ever owned, hands down. If you haven't tried an optical switch keyboard you should! But is so sensitive it takes some getting used to. Durability and cleaning have not been an issue even around younger kids who snack while using it despite being told not to. Comparisons to HyperX Alloy Origins and Corsair and Razer's older keyboards with normal mechanical switches, which were all fine but not the feeling that an optical switch provides.

Most of the Deathadders I've owned have similarly been great, although on a recent one V2 has the grippy rubber sidesections delaminating after fairly little use. I wish it were a bit lighter, but that's not enough to make me change to another mouse. The original one from 2011 or so finally bit the dust in 2022 after hard continuous use, so I'd anecdotally say durability is good.

Razer headsets sound pretty meh, the Dolby plug-in is truly terrible, and my kids have broken two. Sennheiser or Beyerdynamics are much better.

Razer Kiyo Pro Ultra webcam is a noticeable step up in picture quality from a Logitech Brio, Logitech 922, or generic Chinese brand 4k webcam, especially in less-than-ideal lighting conditions, but it is also extremely expensive, so niche product.

The old Razer Turret was super expensive, had trouble with the shorter than expected range of its wireless and Bluetooth connections, but held a charge and was a great wireless lapboard/mouse combo. The new wireless ones have amazing polling rates but shorter battery life and are less convenient as a portable platform, but the connection range seems to be fixed.

Prices are competitive if you wait for the occasional sale through their Amazon store. And it would be cool if their software required less frequent updates and had broader RGB setting compatibility, which I think is really the main point of running it in the first place.

System Name Red Devil
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Software Windows 11
My 2 cents/review as a dad who games with his kids, an esports coach for four teams for six years, a computer science teacher, and a PC scratchbuilder/overclocker/hardware enthusiast:

Razer Huntsman TKL w/ optical switches is the best keyboard I've ever owned, hands down. If you haven't tried an optical switch keyboard you should! But is so sensitive it takes some getting used to. Durability and cleaning have not been an issue even around younger kids who snack while using it despite being told not to. Comparisons to HyperX Alloy Origins and Corsair and Razer's older keyboards with normal mechanical switches, which were all fine but not the feeling that an optical switch provides.

Most of the Deathadders I've owned have similarly been great, although on a recent one V2 has the grippy rubber sidesections delaminating after fairly little use. I wish it were a bit lighter, but that's not enough to make me change to another mouse. The original one from 2011 or so finally bit the dust in 2022 after hard continuous use, so I'd anecdotally say durability is good.

Razer headsets sound pretty meh, the Dolby plug-in is truly terrible, and my kids have broken two. Sennheiser or Beyerdynamics are much better.

Razer Kiyo Pro Ultra webcam is a noticeable step up in picture quality from a Logitech Brio, Logitech 922, or generic Chinese brand 4k webcam, especially in less-than-ideal lighting conditions, but it is also extremely expensive, so niche product.

The old Razer Turret was super expensive, had trouble with the shorter than expected range of its wireless and Bluetooth connections, but held a charge and was a great wireless lapboard/mouse combo. The new wireless ones have amazing polling rates but shorter battery life and are less convenient as a portable platform, but the connection range seems to be fixed.

Prices are competitive if you wait for the occasional sale through their Amazon store. And it would be cool if their software required less frequent updates and had broader RGB setting compatibility, which I think is really the main point of running it in the first place.
You were spot on with the sensitivity of the optical keyboard. It did take some getting use to, but it was completely worth it. I can't put my stamp of approval on anything but the razer products I have bought so far. I got my son the Karaken V3 Pros, they have a good quality feel and my son loves them. I don't care for them much at all as I don't like the sound reproduction. I'm rocking the Steelseries Arctis Nova Pro Wireless (XBox version)...they get a solid A- if I had to rate headphones.

One thing I read about Razer mice and correct me if I am wrong, is that Razer services is needed for them to run correctly. Not sure if that's meant for switching between game profiles but I find that kinda eye-brow raising. Can anyone verify if it's mentioned solely with a Razer keyboard? I think I read that in the Synapse app.

System Name The Captain (2.0)
Processor Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E AORUS Master
Cooling 280mm Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 4x Be Quiet! 140mm Silent Wings 4 (1x exhaust 3x intake)
Memory 32GB (2x16) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo (6000Mhz)
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 SUPRIM X
Storage 1x Crucial MX500 500GB SSD; 1x Crucial MX500 500GB M.2 SSD; 1x WD Blue HDD, 1x Crucial P5 Plus
Display(s) Aorus CV27F 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case Phanteks Evolv X (Anthracite Gray)
Power Supply Corsair RMx (2021) 1000W 80-Plus Gold
Mouse Varies based on mood/task; is currently Razer Basilisk V3 Pro or Razer Cobra Pro
Keyboard Varies based on mood; currently Razer Blackwidow V4 75% and Hyper X Alloy 65
Does analog optic means that it's not binary and have analog gradual imput like an xbox controller?

In a way, yes. Analog switches are closer to how a controller works than mechanical and or non-analog optical switches work. You know how you barely move a control stick forward to make the character walk, and then put more force behind the stick in order to make the character run? You can do that with analog switches -- a gentle key press to walk, a heavier press on that same key to make the character run.

Armoury Crate, What specific problem did you have?
I've still got useless things from it left behind on my system, like being able to use the gaudy ROG font when typing up documents, etc. I honestly liked it better when Aura Sync was the only thing needed to control lighting on an ASUS board.

System Name Red Devil
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Software Windows 11
I was bored and decided to see if the keyboard was on RTing.com and it is... Seems like these new analog switches aren't quite as good as the previous model. Its not bad by any means...

I would replace my keyboards every 1-2 years, but this one, I have no desire to replace it.
So once it is dirty you throw it away? :D
Does analog optic means that it's not binary and have analog gradual imput like an xbox controller?
Usually yes.
Light sensors are able to send a variable signal by the amount of light it recieves.
It might be possible to make it gradual by increasing the sensor size and make the hole in the switch a slope. If more light goes beyond the slope into the sensor, the "stronger" it actuates.

System Name Firestarter
Processor 7950X
Motherboard X670E Steel Legend
Cooling LF 2 420
Memory 4x16 G.Skill X5 6000@CL36
Video Card(s) RTX Gigabutt 4090 Gaming OC
Storage OS: 2TB P41 Plat, 2TB SN770, 1TB SN770
Display(s) FO48U, some dinky TN 10.1 inch display.
Case Fractal Torrent
Audio Device(s) PC38X
Power Supply GF3 TT Premium 850W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard OG Razer Black Widow
I personally keep my keyboards for half a decade before replacing them. My Razer Blackwidow is still going strong after 6-7 years with only a single LED color failing on one of the keys. My brother should get some good use out of it! :laugh:

System Name The Captain (2.0)
Processor Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E AORUS Master
Cooling 280mm Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 4x Be Quiet! 140mm Silent Wings 4 (1x exhaust 3x intake)
Memory 32GB (2x16) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo (6000Mhz)
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 SUPRIM X
Storage 1x Crucial MX500 500GB SSD; 1x Crucial MX500 500GB M.2 SSD; 1x WD Blue HDD, 1x Crucial P5 Plus
Display(s) Aorus CV27F 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case Phanteks Evolv X (Anthracite Gray)
Power Supply Corsair RMx (2021) 1000W 80-Plus Gold
Mouse Varies based on mood/task; is currently Razer Basilisk V3 Pro or Razer Cobra Pro
Keyboard Varies based on mood; currently Razer Blackwidow V4 75% and Hyper X Alloy 65
I'm of the opinion that, if you be nice to your keyboards - regularly clean them, be a grown-ass person by not destroying the poor thing in a fit of gamer baby rage - there's no reason they shouldn't last 5 years or more.

System Name Red Devil
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Software Windows 11

Usually yes.
Light sensors are able to send a variable signal by the amount of light it recieves.
It might be possible to make it gradual by increasing the sensor size and make the hole in the switch a slope. If more light goes beyond the slope into the sensor, the "stronger" it actuates.
No it was typically a key getting stuck, the lights going out on half of it, or software going to hell...or something.

System Name Fractal
Processor Intel Core i5 13600K
Motherboard Asus ProArt Z790 Creator WiFi
Cooling Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 360
Memory 16GBx2 G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 DDR5 6000 CL30-40-40-96 (F5-6000J3040F16GX2-RS5K)
Video Card(s) PNY RTX A2000 6GB
Storage SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GK950F-B (34"/IPS/1440p/21:9/144Hz/FreeSync)
Case Fractal Design R6 Gunmetal Blackout w/ USB-C
Audio Device(s) Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless/Klipsch Pro-Media 2.1BT
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 850w 80+ Titanium
Mouse Logitech G700S
Keyboard Corsair K68
Software Windows 11 Pro
I'm of the opinion that, if you be nice to your keyboards - regularly clean them, be a grown-ass person by not destroying the poor thing in a fit of gamer baby rage - there's no reason they shouldn't last 5 years or more.

I've been nothing but great to my Corsair K68 that I bought on a whim a few years ago, but the keys are constantly falling off. Middle of a firefight, there goes "W" flying across my desk.

I think in the process of cleaning it (popping the keys off) plus just general use, it's worn the posts/keycaps to the point they're just loose - but it's been doing it from the get go, and getting progressively worse over time. I wish I would have taken it back to Best Buy the next day.

I've been nothing but great to my Corsair K68. Middle of a firefight, there goes "W" flying across my desk.

Honestly it doesn't sound like it if that type of stuff is happening. Gotta say I'm amused and laughing a little imaging it. No offense

System Name G-Station 1.17 FINAL
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi
Cooling DeepCool AK620 Digital
Memory Asgard Bragi DDR4-3600CL14 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900 XTX
Storage 240GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB Asgard AN2, 2TB Hiksemi FUTURE-LITE, 320GB+1TB 7200RPM HDD
Display(s) Samsung 34" Odyssey OLED G8
Case Thermaltake Level 20 MT
Audio Device(s) Astro A40 TR + MixAmp
Power Supply Cougar GEX X2 1000W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite (Red)
Software Windows 11 Pro
I've been nothing but great to my Corsair K68 that I bought on a whim a few years ago, but the keys are constantly falling off. Middle of a firefight, there goes "W" flying across my desk.
Yet another issue I had with my Logitech G810. More than once I joked I was losing Control as the keycap flew due to its broken stems, just like this picture off Google:

xNJ0Oof[1].jpeg