• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need help with a persistent infection possible rootkit or other device.

jpeg666

So how I know I was infected at least once for sure is my PC was doing all kinds of weird crap and Wireshark showed crazy amounts of traffic to random IPs when idle. I started trying to get to the bottom of things when I booted into safe mode my pin was auto populated multiple times extremely fast until windows Brute force protection stepped in.

After that I said fuck this and wiped all my drives and flashes my bios to the most current available rom.

Even on new installs of windows my PC will start making tons of tcp and udp connections. My drives will be accessing files on the system constantly and massive amounts of stuff shows up in the temp folders.

I have clean wiped multiple times now. I even booted into Linux to clean wiped everything and even in Linux at idle my PC will connect to a handful of suspect IP addresses.

More recently my router has been restarting constantly or my Ethernet adapter will just lose connection every so often and I'll have to reset it to get connected.

I had an interesting file pop up in my temp folder in this most recent clean install of windows. Ran through virus total a few days ago showed up clean. I checked the same file again and someone posted some suspect info about it 2 days ago.

I don't know if it's a persistent threat on my PC hardware or if it is my router or another device on my network causing these issues.

Any help would be appreciated.

Here is the file, I'm not sure why it didn't attach to my original post
1000000889.jpg

I was using Kaspersky as my AV nothing ever showed up in scans. Although it would do weird things like skip over files during scans with no explanation why.

These last couple clean wipes I've just been relying on defender. This did get caught a few days into my most recent clean install.

1000000890.jpg

I may be misunderstanding this and it may be nothing but right after a fresh install of windows I check the event logs and there is an event for a workgroup PC that is not on my network and it is not my PC's ID

1000000891.jpg

Last edited:
System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs, 24TB Enterprise drives
Display(s) 55" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
On a separate system, download and use a new, new out of the box, ISB and make a windows install drive.

Download https://www.emsisoft.com/en/home/emergency-kit/

And put it on the USB.

Download https://www.malwarebytes.com/solutions/rootkit-scanner

And put it on the USB.

I would put them.in a folder
Boot and change your computer to boot to the USB. Boot to it and once it starts click repair and go to command line. You can use the CMD prompt and the following commands to run the programs

CD Change Directory
DIR List files and Folder in current Directory

If you start to type a file path you can use tab to fill the rest of a file or folder name to complete the command.

For example

You put Emergency Kit and MalwareBytes in a folder of the USB called Anti-virus.

At the CMD prompt

C:\system32>

Type

CD C:\Anti

And press tab, it should complete C:\Anti-virus.

Press enter and the command prompt should read.

C:\Anti-virus>

Type DIR

And it should list

Emergency Kit.exe
Malwarebytes.exe

Start typing Emerg and press tab and it should show

C:\Anti-virus\Emergency Kit.exe

Press enter and it should start the Emergency Kit program.

Run both and allow to clean up whatever they find.

Once both are complete, before you reboot.

Type

CD C:\system32
Press enter then Type
SFC /scannow

And let that run.

This will boot the system to a clean media, run anti-virus/rootkit software outside windows booted environment but with access to your system.
Once clean the SFC stands for System File Checker and it will scan windows files for altered, damaged, missing, or replaced versions and replace them with verified versions.

Before you reboot normally.

Unplug ALL network links. Boot to your version of windows and run the tools again.

jpeg666

Going to buy a new USB drive and load it up at a friend's house. I'll report back.

I can't run any of the programs
1000000899.jpg

I ended up installing emsisoft onto a different USB drive and was able to run the command line scanner. It found 1 herc something. I still cannot run malwarebytes in the WindowsRE though. It gives me the same message.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs, 24TB Enterprise drives
Display(s) 55" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Is your OS on a Ssd or NVme?

System Name Specs Last Update: 8/April/2024
Processor Intel Core i5 9400f 2.9GHz/4.0 Turbo (NoOC)
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370M D3H rev. 1.0
Cooling be quite! Dark Rock Slim 180W TDP (The Silent Wings 3 120mm Fan)
Memory Corsair Red Line 8x2 16GB 3000MHz (NoOC) DDR4-3000 15-17-17-35 (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15R) V1.35 ver 4.24
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce MSI 980 Ti Golden Edition (NoOC)| Spare: GTX 650 Ti 1 GB
Storage Samsung 870 EVO 4 TB | Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB | Cold Backup: WDC Black 930 GiB WD1003FZEX
Display(s) Asus VG248QZ 1920x1080 144hz 24" (Current: 60hz)
Case Corsair Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Corsair 850W RMi
Mouse Logitech M187 wireless (First day of use 30-9-2021)
Keyboard Logitech K270 wireless
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC 2021 / Linux: Candidates: Bazzite - Linux MX - Tuxedo - Kubuntu
System Name KHR-1
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASRock B550 PG Velocita (UEFI-BIOS P3.40)
Memory 32 GB G.Skill RipJawsV F4-3200C16D-32GVR
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT
Storage Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF OLED-ASRock PG27Q15R2A (backup)
Case Corsair 275R
Audio Device(s) Technics SA-EX140 receiver with Polk VT60 speakers
Power Supply eVGA Supernova G3 750W
Mouse Logitech G Pro (Hero)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2
Going to buy a new USB drive and load it up at a friend's house. I'll report back.

I can't run any of the programs
View attachment 345835

I ended up installing emsisoft onto a different USB drive and was able to run the command line scanner. It found 1 herc something. I still cannot run malwarebytes in the WindowsRE though. It gives me the same message.
Looks like you possibly tried to run a 64-bit program on a 32-bit OS.

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Essential Mercury White
Keyboard Redragon Shiva Lunar White
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
iepdf32.dll is a component of PDFium and is used by applications that have embedded pdf readers

That detection (Wacatac.h!ml) is a machine-learning heuristics detection. It's a VERY generic detection with a sky-high false positive rate (easily 9 out of 10 detections are false positives), just to be safe, upload that dll to virustotal and see what the major engines accuse of it.

This last one about SCEP Certificate Enrollment has something to do with the root CA store and incorrect fTPM configuration on AMD Ryzen processors

All in all does your computer show any symptoms that it is actually infected? High load under idle, any unusual processes, high memory usage, communicating through the internet? Have you made a note of the connections your machine is trying to make? Windows 10 and 11 actually do communicate to a lot of addresses upon configuration, something to do with user experience and advertisements. See if that's not what's happening to you. Shutup10++ and Winaero Tweaker are your friends.

Lastly, UEFI-based viruses are extremely rare, as a last resort re-flash your BIOS and do a secure-erase on your boot SSD, installing Windows with the other drives physically disconnected.

jpeg666

All in all does your computer show any symptoms that it is actually infected? High load under idle, any unusual processes, high memory usage, communicating through the internet? Have you made a note of the connections your machine is trying to make? Windows 10 and 11 actually do communicate to a lot of addresses upon configuration, something to do with user experience and advertisements. See if that's not what's happening to you. Shutup10++ and Winaero Tweaker are your friends.
So I get that windows 11 makes a bunch of connections for updates and stuff but I went through and checked a lot of the ips out on virustotal and abused and a few were marked and malware or highly reported on abuseID

Also my PC would write massive amounts of stuff to the temp folder constantly while idle keeping my CPU temp above 60 degrees and I would look for the program taking up CPU resources and none would show as hammering the CPU but like I said there was large amounts of reading and writing being done. I would watch resource monitor to see what and where the activity was.

I missed the name of the file that emsisoft found but that file was marked and trojan.herc, something like that.

Farbar also caught the GPO had been altered and I did not touch the GPO on this last install.

I can list a massive amount of sus activity I saw. I just don't want to write a book and some of it is probably normal activity.

Lastly, UEFI-based viruses are extremely rare, as a last resort re-flash your BIOS and do a secure-erase on your boot SSD, installing Windows with the other drives physically disconnected.
So I went ahead and secure erased everything on all drives, got a new router, and installed win11 from that brand new USB. This was yesterday.

This time after installing there was way less traffic and less tcp connections. After installing updates. My PC was quietly idling at 34 degrees and disk was being used way less when idle.

One concerning thing is the different Computer names that event viewer logs are picking up and a brand new install. 1 of those names is probably my PC before I renamed it but that doesn't explain the other's maybe 2 more different Computer names picked up on mobile devices management logs and credentials guard errors with another PCs name.

The new router and new IP has resolved a lot of the sus tcp and udp traffic.

I am still worried about some stuff with this new install though. The amount of update errors and security services warnings seems a bit odd.

I had an old ASUS RT-3200 it may have been letting things through that it shouldn't have or possibly infected.

I'm trying to get into IT work digging through all this and monitoring everything and learning about inner workings of windows is nice. I got my CompTIA A+ I'm currently working on my Network+ and then SEC+ after that.

When my old router was hooked up and I was on a previous install of windows I was digging through Wireshark and seeing a lot of interesting things. My PC was DNS querying a lot of odd sites when on a clean boot via MSconfig, I saw DNS entries switch from suspicious addresses to Google and azure servers after it was already logged and resolved.

I am trying to learn teach myself how to use farbar more effectively at the moment. I will attach the logs. Maybe you can see if you see anything out of the ordinary for a clean win11 install.

This is a clean install with only windows updates downloaded.

Attachments

• Shortcut.txt
    64.8 KB · Views: 13
  • FRST.txt
    30.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Addition.txt
    14.3 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Essential Mercury White
Keyboard Redragon Shiva Lunar White
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
Took a quick look, it doesn't seem like there's anything wrong with that. Azure's Microsoft's cloud, from what I could find this is a root CA enrollment bug that's caused by the processor's security system. I found both these threads:

and specifically this comment

You might wanna check these out... I can't recall having this problem back when I had my 5950X system, or maybe I never even noticed. It definitely isn't happening on my current Intel.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard MSI MPG Z790I Edge WiFi Gaming
Cooling be quiet! Pure Loop 240mm
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 (G95SC)
Case LANCOOL 205M MESH Snow
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply ASUS ROG Loki SFX-L 1000W
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Took a quick look, it doesn't seem like there's anything wrong with that. Azure's Microsoft's cloud, from what I could find this is a root CA enrollment bug that's caused by the processor's security system. I found both these threads:

You might wanna check these out... I can't recall having this problem back when I had my 5950X system, or maybe I never even noticed. It definitely isn't happening on my current Intel.

Agreed, I havent seen anything that indicates infection other than the FP on this PDF reader. The logs and the activity seem normal.

jpeg666

I've looked for hours for a solution to this there is a thread on amd forums that has gone on for years about this. Some people say the amd hasn't updated their URL some say FTPM is broken. The most recent posts some people have fixed it by updating the chipset drivers. That never fixes it for me though.

One things I have tried many times without success and many hours of research is get the security processes to run.

sysinfo.png

Even if I go into GPO and enable and configure the available security properties they will never list as running, also Firmware protection will never get turned on no matter what I do.

jpeg666

So I started installing what I normally use and this looked interesting, 44 startup apps under discord. Someone on reddit has the same thing. Some people are saying it looks like compromise and others are saying it's normal

disco.png

I was removing edge from startup when I looked over a couple minutes later and the icon had changed and the CHCP file name changed and the publisher became github

disco2.png

I just installed my Nvidia driver's last night now this is what I get trying to access the control panel...

1000000914.jpg

1000000915.jpg

Last edited:

jpeg667

This is the OP. Well, my home network got remoted into my phone got compromised and I lost access to my password manager and my email accounts.... I am kind of at a loff of what to do. I have flashed the bios and secure wiped my drives. If anyone has any advice for me I would appreciate it very much.

I don't know if it started on my PC or they got in through the router. I checked the router and the VPN was setup with information I didn't put in and a Radius server was setup.

I would install a new windows and I would check the firewall at install then check it later and there would be a bunch of new entries. I would disable everything then go back and look and things would be enabled again.

The crazy thing is I bought a brand new phone because of this and my old phone infected my new phone.