• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[HELP] AMD GPU FINDING BIOS PROBLEM

SasyanoTec

Hi guys, i have a problem finding the right bios for my Sapphire Nitro+ Special Edition RX590 (with dual bios on the bios switch).
I found 2 bioses for this version of gpu on techpowerup website and i flashed it, but i don't think it's the right one for it, because the pc won't boot anymore (not even to bios).

can somebody help me find the right latest version so i can reflash it and make it work again? (i have another gpu to do this flash, so i can get access to the operating system).

i will attach pictures of all the stickers in my graphics card. Thanks in advance for your help.
1000004430.jpg
1000004429.jpg
1000004428.jpg

System Name The Dark side of the room
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI MEG X570 Unify
Cooling Custom loop watercooling (Bykski CPU-XPR-POM-M-V2, Alphacool Eisblock GPX, Freezemod PU-PWM5B18W)
Memory GSkill Ripjaws V DDR4 3600 CL16 (4 x 16GB)
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster QICK 319 Radeon RX 6700 XT
Storage 1 x Kingston KC3000 1024GB + 2 x Kingston NV2 2TB
Display(s) LG 34WP65C Ultrawide 3440x1440 @ 160Hz freesync premium
Case Thermaltake Core P90 TG
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek® ALC1220 with Logitech Z906
Power Supply MSI MAG A850GF 80 Plus Gold
Mouse Generic
Keyboard Trust Asta GTX 865
Software Windows 11 pro
Benchmark Scores It's a form of exhibitionism...;-), but fun Software programs just have to run nicely....
Maybe a strange question, but did you flash it on the BIOS eeprom of your mainboard instead of the card?
That would explain the PC not booting anymore.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
You need to take the cooler off so we can match up the bios to the memory chips on board. We need to see the bare pcb

SasyanoTec

You need to take the cooler off so we can match up the bios to the memory chips on board. We need to see the bare pcb
i don't think so. the pc boots with the other bios (using bios switch). anyway i used ati flash 2.93 to flash the bios.

i noticed that my gpu has micron memory.

all this mess to update gpu bios only because i have a problem with this gpu (i bought used 1 year ago).

i tried to stress test it with occt in max shader complexity and crashed with black screen and the gpu fans spinning at max; in games it crashes after some time eventually, but it makes only crash the single game and not the whole pc.

the only way for all those issue to not happen and for occt not to crash my pc, is to lower the power limit to -30 on the amd adrenalin software.

i already changed psu (corsair cx 750) and tried the gpu on another system but happens the same.
i wanted to flash to bios to see if they tried to flash a modded bios and maybe that could fix the problem, or else it's a hardware issue.

Last edited:
Cooling Custom loop watercooling (Bykski CPU-XPR-POM-M-V2, Alphacool Eisblock GPX, Freezemod PU-PWM5B18W)
Mouse Generic
Software Windows 11 pro
Benchmark Scores It's a form of exhibitionism...;-), but fun Software programs just have to run nicely....
@ P4-630, just figured it could a rookie mistake with the initial description of the problem.

Makes sense the BIOS check before flashing, I didn't realise that as flashing the BIOS is not something I've done often.

Just didn't get why a pc won't boot if the graphics BIOS is corrupted. The MB should at least give an error code or beeps during the POST, but now I see he can POST with the second BIOS.
Hail to the graphic cards with dual BIOS'ses :peace:

Shows me I'm never too old to learn. Thanks ;)

SasyanoTec

@ P4-630, just figured it could a rookie mistake with the initial description of the problem.

Makes sense the BIOS check before flashing, I didn't realise that as flashing the BIOS is not something I've done often.

Just didn't get why a pc won't boot if the graphics BIOS is corrupted. The MB should at least give an error code or beeps during the POST, but now I see he can POST with the second BIOS.
Hail to the graphic cards with dual BIOS'ses :peace:

Shows me I'm never too old to learn. Thanks ;)
yess. anyway i just noticed that my gpu crashes because of my memory and not only because of my power limit. i tried lowering the memory clock from 2000 mhz to 1850 mhz and no crashes whatsoever.

System Name Ryzen5900X
Processor AMD Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO AC
Cooling NZXT Kraken X62
Memory 4x G.Skill F4-3600C17D-8GTZ
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6800XT Midnight Black
i don't think so. the pc boots with the other bios (using bios switch). anyway i used ati flash 2.93 to flash the bios.

i noticed that my gpu has micron memory.

all this mess to update gpu bios only because i have a problem with this gpu (i bought used 1 year ago).

i tried to stress test it with occt in max shader complexity and crashed with black screen and the gpu fans spinning at max; in games it crashes after some time eventually, but it makes only crash the single game and not the whole pc.

the only way for all those issue to not happen and for occt not to crash my pc, is to lower the power limit to -30 on the amd adrenalin software.

i already changed psu (corsair cx 750) and tried the gpu on another system but happens the same.
i wanted to flash to bios to see if they tried to flash a modded bios and maybe that could fix the problem, or else it's a hardware issue.
It sounds like the VRM is busted since the lower power limit workaround. Can you remove the backplate and put a fan on the backside of the VRM? Then you can confirm if the card stays stable.

Did you try to flash a RX580 bios Its slightly lower clocked and therefore generating less heat. It should give you more stability.

Quiet bios:

Performance bios:

SasyanoTec

It sounds like the VRM is busted since the lower power limit workaround. Can you remove the backplate and put a fan on the backside of the VRM? Then you can confirm if the card stays stable.

Did you try to flash a RX580 bios Its slightly lower clocked and therefore generating less heat. It should give you more stability.

Quiet bios:

Performance bios:
for the VRM part, can you explain me what is it and if it's worth fixing? i will also tell you that i put the fans of the gpu to max speed, and it lowered the temperature from 83 to 74 (termal paste already changed with arctic-mx6) during stress test but still has issues.

i tried modifying my own bios with a tutorial, using polaris bios editor and i flashed it with amdvbflash tool using the dos version. from 175 watts i lowered to 150 watts and it's perfectly stable all the time.

the thing is that i will buy a 6750 xt very soon so i just wanted to fix it if it's not more than like 20-30 bucks, so i can sell it or use it for hackintosh in another bundle or use it as a capture card.

System Name Ryzen5900X
Cooling NZXT Kraken X62
for the VRM part, can you explain me what is it and if it's worth fixing?
VRM is the Voltage Regulator Module which delivers the power to GPU and Memory. When the VRM is about to die, it will become sensitive to heat.
Reparing will cost about the same as buy a different RX580/RX590 card.

i tried modifying my own bios with a tutorial, using polaris bios editor and i flashed it with amdvbflash tool using the dos version. from 175 watts i lowered to 150 watts and it's perfectly stable all the time.
When the bios is modified, you need to use AMD/ATI Pixel Clock Patcher since the bios doesn't have a valid bios signature anymore.

Its beter to use a RX580 bios since it will stress the graphics card less than a RX590 bios.

SasyanoTec

VRM is the Voltage Regulator Module which delivers the power to GPU and Memory. When the VRM is about to die, it will become sensitive to heat.
Reparing will cost about the same as buy a different RX580/RX590 card.

When the bios is modified, you need to use AMD/ATI Pixel Clock Patcher since the bios doesn't have a valid bios signature anymore.

Its beter to use a RX580 bios since it will stress the graphics card less than a RX590 bios.
for the vrm i understand that i should just keep it as it is. for the bios part (i will put the rx580 bios), i also patched it, but i wanted to ask if i move the gpu to another system do i need to re-patch it?

System Name Ryzen5900X
Cooling NZXT Kraken X62
for the vrm i understand that i should just keep it as it is. for the bios part (i will put the rx580 bios), i also patched it, but i wanted to ask if i move the gpu to another system do i need to re-patch it?
Yes always. Even with a driver updated on the current system. Thats why you need to use a bios with a valid bios signature.

SasyanoTec

Yes always. Even with a driver updated on the current system. Thats why you need to use a bios with a valid bios signature.
oh okay, i understand. i also have another problem: whenever i try to boot the gpu with the modded bios with the secure boot enabled on my motherboard's bios (i have a Gigabyte B550 Gaming X V2), it shows black screen and only fans/lights on; the only thing that i noticed is that when i switch to the original bios, it works again and i used this as an advantage to disable the secure boot

obviously without even showing the motherboard's logo or bios

System Name Ryzen5900X
Cooling NZXT Kraken X62
oh okay, i understand. i also have another problem: whenever i try to boot the gpu with the modded bios with the secure boot enabled on my motherboard's bios (i have a Gigabyte B550 Gaming X V2), it shows black screen and only fans/lights on; the only thing that i noticed is that when i switch to the original bios, it works again and i used this as an advantage to disable the secure boot

obviously without even showing the motherboard's logo or bios
The recent Gigabyte B550 & X570 bios versions before March 2024 had a bug which didn't show post or logo during boot until you where in Windows.
You need to flash the Gigabyte B550 Gaming X V2 bios to the latest version.

SasyanoTec

The recent Gigabyte B550 & X570 bios versions before March 2024 had a bug which didn't show post or logo during boot until you where in Windows.
You need to flash the Gigabyte B550 Gaming X V2 bios to the latest version.
okay okay. i will update the motherboard's bios then. two last questions:

1)what would happen if i didn't patch the modded bios in another pc?
2)which part of the switch is the performance e which the quiet? i mean how am i supposed to find where to flash on or the other?

Mouse Generic
Software Windows 11 pro
System Name Ryzen5900X
Cooling NZXT Kraken X62
okay okay. i will update the motherboard's bios then. two last questions:

1)what would happen if i didn't patch the modded bios in another pc?
2)which part of the switch is the performance e which the quiet? i mean how am i supposed to find where to flash on or the other?
1) AMD/ATI Pixel Clock Patcher does not patch the bios. It bypasses the driver check so you can install the driver.

2)
1715000887894.png