• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Major Intel CPU Hardware Vulnerability Found

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name RogueOne
Processor Xeon W9-3495x
Motherboard ASUS w790E Sage SE
Cooling SilverStone XE360-4677
Memory 128gb Gskill Zeta R5 DDR5 RDIMMs
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 2TB WD SN850X | 2x 8TB GAMMIX S70
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 (G95SC)
Case Thermaltake Core P3 Pro Snow
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on schitt Modi+ & Valhalla 2
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-1600
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11 Pro Workstation
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
EPYC news for AMD server offerings! I wouldn't worry too much about your latest gaming PC purchase though.

This. Totally blows for providers that have invested billions in cloud infra. but its going to be great if you buy AMD servers at work! Now your IT dept will have more budget! Always a silver lining :D

Meanwhile I'm so happy I haven't bought the 5th generation Sandy Bridge CPU aka Coffee Lake.

System Name RGB-PC v2.0
Processor AMD Ryzen 7950X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair X670E Extreme
Cooling Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT
Memory 4x16GB DDR5-5200 CL36 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB
Video Card(s) Asus Strix RTX 2080 Ti
Storage 2x2TB Samsung 980 PRO
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV273K 27" 4K 120Hz (G-SYNC compatible)
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragon Red + Sennheiser HD 650
Power Supply Asus Thor II 1000W + Cablemod ModMesh Pro sleeved cables
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB with low profile red cherrys
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Very interesting reading. The "rowhammer" type attacks that manipulate protected memory addresses by massively accessing same adjacent physical row(s) in DRAM to cause eventually random bit errors on the target address containing access right controls. This doesn't happen normally, because you are not accessing all the time same memory addresses as fast as you possibly could. Recent years have provided mitigations which make it way more difficult to locate potential target addresses too.

https://www.tugraz.at/en/tu-graz/se...rticle/wenn-rowhammer-nur-noch-einmal-klopft/

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name RogueOne
Processor Xeon W9-3495x
VR HMD Quest 3
Very interesting reading. The "rowhammer" type attacks that manipulate protected memory addresses by massively accessing same adjacent physical row(s) in DRAM to cause eventually random bit errors on the target address containing access right controls. This doesn't happen normally, because you are not accessing all the time same memory addresses as fast as you possibly could. Recent years have provided mitigations which make it way more difficult to locate potential target addresses too.

https://www.tugraz.at/en/tu-graz/se...rticle/wenn-rowhammer-nur-noch-einmal-klopft/

Yeah this is cool stuff, I think you could even trigger "corruption" on SSDs doing s similar technique but I dont have the article handy.

Processor Core i7-13700
Motherboard MSI Z790 Gaming Plus WiFi
Cooling Cooler Master RGB something
Memory Corsair DDR5-6000 small OC to 6200
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500GB,,WD850N 2TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 11 Professional v23H2
Yeah this is cool stuff, I think you could even trigger "corruption" on SSDs doing s similar technique but I dont have the article handy.
"We use our knowledge of existing reliability mechanisms in SSDs (including ECC), to show that the attack primitive an attacker can obtain from MLC NAND flash weaknesses is a coarse granularity corruption: unlike in rowhammer, where the attacker can flip a single bit, in the case of this attack the attacker can only corrupt one block of data,” the researchers wrote. “We then show that this weaker attack primitive (when compared to flipping individual bits, which provides a higher level of control to the attacker) is nevertheless sufficient to mount a local privilege escalation attack."

https://threatpost.com/rowhammer-attacks-come-to-mlc-nand-flash-memory/127504/

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
I have made edits to my post, re-read if you have read my previous post.

This won't affect consumers or casual labbers with hyper-v enabled on there home machines. I've been following this and this is seems exclusive to big virtual farms not bare-metal installs.

no 3dmark scores going down im afraid. We also dont know what "35%" performance drop means either since this info is just from linux users and not windows fleets.
Not really, this is specific to virtualization. So unless you own a AWS compute farm your probably not going to shut off windows ervices in task manager any time soon to boost your FPS in fallout 4.
Incorrect. The key word is "virtual" not virtualization, as in "virtual memory" which is used just about every where. If you launch notepad, you have used virtual memory. If you use Firefox, you have used virtual memory. The idea is that every single program you have running on your computer is given its own memory space that's completely separate from other programs running on the same system. It's how two programs can write to 0x000012DF, the exact same memory address, and not have the memory clobbered because the OS translates that virtual address space to something else.

Bad news: the software mitigation is expensive
The primary reason for the old Linux behavior of mapping kernel memory in the same page tables as user memory is so that when the user’s code triggers a system call, fault, or an interrupt fires, it is not necessary to change the virtual memory layout of the running process.

Since it is unnecessary to change the virtual memory layout, it is further unnecessary to flush highly performance-sensitive CPU caches that are dependant on that layout, primarily the Translation Lookaside Buffer.

With the page table splitting patches merged, it becomes necessary for the kernel to flush these caches every time the kernel begins executing, and every time user code resumes executing. For some workloads, the effective total loss of the TLB lead around every system call leads to highly visible slowdowns.

It is understood the bug is present in modern Intel processors produced in the past decade. It allows normal user programs – from database applications to JavaScript in web browsers – to discern in some way the contents of protected kernel memory.

The fix is to separate the kernel's memory completely from user processes using what's called Kernel Page Table Isolation, or KPTI. At one point, Forcefully Unmap Complete Kernel With Interrupt Trampolines, aka FUCKWIT, was mulled by the Linux kernel team, giving you an idea of how annoying this has been for the developers.

Whenever a running program needs to do anything useful – such as to write to a file or open a network connection – it has to temporarily hand control of the processor to the kernel to carry out the job. To make the transition from user mode to kernel mode and back to user mode as fast and efficient as possible, the kernel is present in all processes' virtual memory address spaces, although it is invisible to these programs. When the kernel is needed, the program makes a system call, the processor switches to kernel mode and enters the kernel. When it is done, the CPU is told to switch back to user mode, and reenter the process. While in user mode, the kernel's code and data remains out of sight but present in the process's page tables.

Think of the kernel as God sitting on a cloud, looking down on Earth. It's there, and no one on Earth can see it, yet they can pray to it.

These KPTI patches move the kernel into a completely separate address space, so it's not just invisible to a running process, it's not even there at all. Really, this shouldn't be needed but clearly there is a flaw in Intel's silicon that allows kernel access protection to be bypassed in some way.

The downside to this separation is that it is relatively expensive, time wise, to keep switching between two separate address spaces for every system call and for every interrupt from the hardware. This adds an extra overhead, and slows down the computer.
This has the potential to effect even your common every day desktop computer especially if you are multitasking heavily since this patch pretty much forces far more processor context switches which is very processor intensive to do, it's computationally expensive.

Last edited:

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name RogueOne
Processor Xeon W9-3495x
VR HMD Quest 3
I have made edits to my post, re-read if you have read my previous post.

Incorrect. The key word is "virtual" not virtualization, as in "virtual memory" which is used just about every where. If you launch notepad, you have used virtual memory. If you use Firefox, you have used virtual memory. The idea is that every single program you have running on your computer is given its own memory space that's completely separate from other programs running on the same system. It's how two programs can write to 0x000012DF, the exact same memory address, and not have the memory clobbered because the OS translates that virtual address space to something else.

This has the potential to effect even your common every day desktop computer especially if you are multitasking heavily since this patch pretty much forces far more processor context switches which is very processor intensive to do, it's computationally expensive.

Totally missed that! Your right, this will affect consumer end machines then. It also really puts into perspective why AWS and cloud platforms will take a massive performance penalty given that those clusters utilize so much addressing for virtual processes. Let’s hope the fix isn’t too expensive. We as of yet have not had to deal with real world results.

Fingers crossed until the embargo lifts!

Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
I imagine it will depend upon how many processes are running on the system, the more processes you have running the more context switches from user to kernel and then back again you have thus incurring a higher overhead. Your typical desktop system will be impacted by this, there is no doubt in my mind that they will be. Obviously not to the extent that massive cloud computing clusters will be impacted but desktops will be impacted just not as severely.

It will be interesting to see the before and after benchmarks to see how much of an impact this security patch has on everyday systems. It would be hilarious if all the recent improvements Intel has made over the last couple of years were suddenly eaten up by this required kernel patch.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name RogueOne
Processor Xeon W9-3495x
VR HMD Quest 3
I imagine it will depend upon how many processes are running on the system, the more processes you have running the more context switches from user to kernel and then back again you have thus incurring a higher overhead. Your typical desktop system will be impacted by this, there is no doubt in my mind that they will be. Obviously not to the extent that massive cloud computing clusters will be impacted but desktops will be impacted just not as severely.

It will be interesting to see the before and after benchmarks to see how much of an impact this security patch has on everyday systems.

Hm I think it would need to be purely synthetic it might be easy for joe smith to control his start up programs but more difficult to control the open thread handles on the system.

Still maybe that still would be a good test, I mean for a lot of us the 3DMark score is what would matter anyway.

Processor Core i7-13700
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Is it the speculative execution plus translation lookaside buffer (TLB) causing unprivileged code to access private memory addresses the issue I understood it as?

Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
I also imagine that those of us with older (and slower) Intel processors will be impacted more so than those who have newer (and faster) Intel processors since the overhead won't be quite so severe.

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
Probably very bad for old HPC clusters, like in Universities. :(

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name RogueOne
Processor Xeon W9-3495x
VR HMD Quest 3
Is it the speculative execution plus translation lookaside buffer (TLB) causing unprivileged code to access private memory addresses the issue I understood it as?

I'm not sure to be honest with you, I have to read a bit more into it. I was reading it as I was clocking out. I just got home.

I also imagine that those of us with older (and slower) Intel processors will be impacted more so than those who have newer (and faster) Intel processors since the overhead won't be quite so severe.

Possibly, im not sure of the math behind it. I would imagine newer high core count CPUs would suffer more only because the resource exhaustion points are higher. However, im not sure if that slow down would be linear, IE a core 2 duo suffers 30% but a 12 thread coffee lake also suffers 30% because utilization might be relative given a systems resources. What do you think?

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Not really, this is specific to virtualization. So unless you own a AWS compute farm your probably not going to shut off windows ervices in task manager any time soon to boost your FPS in fallout 4.
Indeed.

Not good for Intel in the data center space. Im wondering if huge companies like AWS(ec2 etc) or or MS(Azure) can then sue. De0ending on how this supppsed 35% affects what loads... that could be a big hit in the short term in overhead/thresholds...load balancing to maintain performance and having to open up more cpu to each vm whose loads are affected...

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
Yep, just talked to the University admin of HPC, the entire cluster will be taken offline for this update at the end of this week. Considering all the runs already piled up it is very bad for most researchers.

FYI it uses Haswell-EP, a 20c40t varient CPU

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name RogueOne
Processor Xeon W9-3495x
VR HMD Quest 3
Indeed.

Not good for Intel in the data center space. Im wondering if huge companies like AWS(ec2 etc) or or MS(Azure) can then sue. De0ending on how this supppsed 35% affects what loads... that could be a big hit in the short term in overhead/thresholds...load balancing to maintain performance and having to open up more cpu to each vm whose loads are affected...

There may be ways around it and performance may get better, as I understand it there are two theoretical ways with dealing with the problem.

1: You can simply not patch or disable the work around in the kernel which means you would have to protect yourself higher up the chain.

2: it doesnt seem to be "my PC is upto 30% slower" its that the transactions with virtual memory maybe upto 30% slower. Which might be mitigated by smart coding and requiring less calls to protected kernel space.

Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Which might be mitigated by smart coding and requiring less calls to protected kernel space.
Context switches from user to kernel and back again have always been a performance hit since the beginning of it all, this issue just adds 30% more to that performance hit. Reducing the need to go to the kernel to do something can and will put a bandaid on it and reduce the context switch overhead but this of course will require more intelligent programming on the behalf of the developers. Unfortunately not all developers are made equal. Some can write clean code, others... not so much.

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
There may be ways around it and performance may get better, as I understand it there are two theoretical ways with dealing with the problem.

1: You can simply not patch or disable the work around in the kernel which means you would have to protect yourself higher up the chain.

2: it doesnt seem to be "my PC is upto 30% slower" its that the transactions with virtual memory maybe upto 30% slower. Which might be mitigated by smart coding and requiring less calls to protected kernel space.

I think we are going to see a lot of number one being done.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)

it will be interesting to see how its dealt with... i need to call my peeps still at AWS... :)

FireFox

The Power Of Intel
Processor Intel i7 10700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus XII Hero
Cooling 2x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 480 - 1x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 420 - D5 VPP655P - 13x Corsair LL120 - LL140
Memory 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 3600Hz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORCE RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 500GB/1TB - WD Blue SN550 1TB - 2 X WD Blue 1TB - 3 X WD Black 1TB
Display(s) Asus ROG PG278QR 2560x1440 144Hz (Overclocked 165Hz )/ Samsung
Case Corsair Obsidian 1000D
Audio Device(s) I prefer Gaming-Headset
Power Supply Enermax MaxTytan 1250W 80+ Titanium
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard Virtuis Advanced Gaming Keyboard ( Batboard )
Software Windows 10 Enterprise/Windows 10 Pro/Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores My PC runs FiFA
Intel FANBOY HERE and the matter doesn't touch/bother me at all

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name RogueOne
Processor Xeon W9-3495x
VR HMD Quest 3
it will be interesting to see how its dealt with... i need to call my peeps still at AWS... :)

Same! This is super cool shit its what I live for, I'm anxious for the embargo to lift so we can see what had to happen and how its being dealt with, all we have to go on is back tracking upstream kernel commits for *nix which paints the picture for certain, but I want to know what color its going to be. At this point more changes for better or for worse can be committed, however I do admit if they are being approved upstream we may well be seeing what will hit the general public, atleast in linux land.

Processor Core i7-13700
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
You say that now @Knoxx29 until the kernel patch drops for Linux/Windows. Wonder when this shows for next patch Tuesday?

FireFox

The Power Of Intel
Processor Intel i7 10700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus XII Hero
Cooling 2x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 480 - 1x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 420 - D5 VPP655P - 13x Corsair LL120 - LL140
Memory 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 3600Hz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORCE RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 500GB/1TB - WD Blue SN550 1TB - 2 X WD Blue 1TB - 3 X WD Black 1TB
Display(s) Asus ROG PG278QR 2560x1440 144Hz (Overclocked 165Hz )/ Samsung
Case Corsair Obsidian 1000D
Audio Device(s) I prefer Gaming-Headset
Power Supply Enermax MaxTytan 1250W 80+ Titanium
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard Virtuis Advanced Gaming Keyboard ( Batboard )
Software Windows 10 Enterprise/Windows 10 Pro/Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores My PC runs FiFA
You say that now @Knoxx29 until the kernel patch drops for Linux/Windows. Wonder when this shows for next patch Tuesday?

If my CPU runs DOOM and FIFA 2018 i am fineo_O

Note: Life is just one and for sure this little thing is not going to make me crazy or not let sleep at night, there are more important things in life to worry about.

Last edited:
Processor Core i7-13700
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
I was never worried about this latest hardware errata. Already lost TSX support for my 4790K through micocode update. What else could possibly cripple it?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Status
Not open for further replies.