• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell Workstation Owners Club

Yes the amount of ram makes no difference to that bench mark, just the extra speed from the third channel. Makes not much difference to gaming of course, since that's 95% being done in the gpu, just a few frames. But I did gain about 5 more FPS changing to the X5675.

Last edited:

json666

Hi everyone.
I reviewed the whole thread but haven't found any replacement idea for heatsink and fan G422G in T5500 workstation (pic attached) I have cleaned up the fan, disassembled it, added some motor oil but still I can hear the fan. I would be grateful for any replacement idea.

Attachments

• Dell-Precision-T5500-Carte-Système-Chipset-Dissipateur-Ventilateur.jpg
    Dell-Precision-T5500-Carte-Système-Chipset-Dissipateur-Ventilateur.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 113
Hi everyone.
I reviewed the whole thread but haven't found any replacement idea for heatsink and fan G422G in T5500 workstation (pic attached) I have cleaned up the fan, disassembled it, added some motor oil but still I can hear the fan. I would be grateful for any replacement idea.
You're kind of out of luck. If you remove the fan, the BIOS will show an alert on every boot up.

If you want you can splice a resistor into the 5V line leading to the fan motor, which will reduce the fan speed and thus noise, but that will also reduce the cooling effect for the chipset.

json666

yeah.. that's what I thought. Anyway if anyone knows some replacement please let me know. I will also update if I find something. Thanks!

System Name Lenovo ThinkCentre
Processor AMD 5650GE
Motherboard Lenovo
Memory 32 GB DDR4
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Mouse Lenovo
Keyboard Lenovo
Software W11 Pro 64 bit
Hi everyone.
What size fan, is it 40mm?
Northbridge chipset?
If you can't find a replacement 4 pin fan you could try a 3 pin and connect a bridge wire from the negative (black) to the outer most pin on the other side for the sensor.

unoproph

Hello TPU. I'm back with some updates. Because of the TDP on the R9 290 and the R9 380 I sold both and picked up a RX570 which I under power and it stays around 90TDP and matched with the W3680 I feel better with the power consumption on the PSU. I threw in the fan on the CPU cooler and I just picked up some other case fans to attach to the back of the machine so now I have a couple of questions.

Why wouldn't Throttlestop allow me to go higher than 27x multiplier on my CPU am I doing something incorrectly? I ended up finding an older XTU that allowed me to use on the w3680. For now I'm at a 30x multiplier for 4ghz and curious what's a safe multiplier on stock cooler with fan?

How did you attach that small fan to the northridge heatsink? Do you guys think metal tape would work like done with the CPU cooler to heatsink?

Also I'm trying to figure out why my DDR3 memory is stating it's only at 667 mhz. Where should I start troubleshooting to find out how to get the memory speeds correct. I'm assuming this is hurting my performance.

Lastly what's an expected Cinebench R15 with this setup. Currently I'm at 800 and pretty happy with that over the 420 I started with and about $150 into the PC

All in all pretty happy with this and might turn this into my VR machine with a USB3.1 card. This is scoring better than my FX8320 with and RX480 and I'm thinking the frame rate might be more consistent with this over that CPU.

Thanks
Uno

Last edited:
Why wouldn't Throttlestop allow me to go higher than 27x multiplier on my CPU am I doing something incorrectly? I ended up finding an older XTU that allowed me to use on the w3680. For now I'm at a 30x multiplier for 4ghz and curious what's a safe multiplier on stock cooler with fan?

How did you attach that small fan to the northridge heatsink? Do you guys think metal tape would work like done with the CPU cooler to heatsink?

Also I'm trying to figure out why my DDR3 memory is stating it's only at 667 mhz. Where should I start troubleshooting to find out how to get the memory speeds correct. I'm assuming this is hurting my performance.

Lastly what's an expected Cinebench R15 with this setup. Currently I'm at 800 and pretty happy with that over the 420 I started with and about $150 into the PC

All in all pretty happy with this and might turn this into my VR machine with a USB3.1 card. This is scoring better than my FX8320 with and RX480 and I'm thinking the frame rate might be more consistent with this over that CPU.

Thanks
Uno

Q- Throttle stop allow me not to go higher than 27x multiplier on my CPU am I doing something incorrectly?

A- In case of W3680 Throttlestop allows multiplier upto 31X but in case of some chips 30X or 4.00 GHz is more stable depending upon your silicon lottery. Post this querry on TS thread with the screenshot of what settings you are using.

Q- How did you attach that small fan to the northridge heatsink?
A - In my case is just use 4 screws of adequate thickness and shape which just gets struck between fins of HS of NB.
1600403254386.png

Q- what's an expected Cinebench R15 with this setup?
A- I get upto 903

Q-why my DDR3 memory is stating it's only at 667 mhz?
A- T3500 + W3680 supports ram speed upto 1333 mhz, = 667X2=1333
If you are getting
1600402791155.png
then it is OK.

In modern times PCIE-USB 3 adapter is almost necessary for T3500.

Last edited:
System Name T7500
Processor X5650
Motherboard N/A
Memory 24
Video Card(s) AMD Firepro V5900
Storage SSD "Sasmung" and SSD Sandisk
Power Supply 1100W
Mouse Logitech G330
Keyboard Microsoft Curve
Software Windows Server 2016 - 2012 - 2008 - Ubuntu 18 / 14
Dell T7500 physical health parameters - how to monitor win 2012 / PRTG / other ?

Good day:

I am happy to have found this community

I have purchased a Dell T7500 with a Xeon 5650 and 24 GB RAM, a few months ago and was very well impressed with the noise level, because it’s on my desktop.

I’m experimenting with it using Windows 2012 Server as OS.

I’m very curious about monitoring the physical health parameters (temperature, FANs, GPU, disks, etc)
however not being able to use the Dell Software because of the OS compatibility

I have some experience with PRTG monitoring software and installed it on this machine to “Self monitor” it, but suggested sensors are kind of basic.
Ping, http / https

I would appreciate some hints to monitor this good machine.

Thanks.

unoproph

Q- Throttle stop allow me not to go higher than 27x multiplier on my CPU am I doing something incorrectly?

A- In case of W3680 Throttlestop allows multiplier upto 31X but in case of some chips 30X or 4.00 GHz is more stable depending upon your silicon lottery. Post this querry on TS thread with the screenshot of what settings you are using.

Q- How did you attach that small fan to the northridge heatsink?
A - In my case is just use 4 screws of adequate thickness and shape which just gets struck between fins of HS of NB.View attachment 169024

Q- what's an expected Cinebench R15 with this setup?
A- I get upto 903

Q-why my DDR3 memory is stating it's only at 667 mhz?
A- T3500 + W3680 supports ram speed upto 1333 mhz, = 667X2=1333
If you are getting View attachment 169023 then it is OK.

In modern times PCIE-USB 3 adapter is almost necessary for T3500.

Thanks for some guidance here. I played around a little more with Throttlestop and Intel XTU I can be stable at 30-31x Multiplier. When I push to 32 things freeze. So right where you said. If I push the power max up to give the base more frequnecy I see my CPU temps shoot up to mid 70s and only got 8 more Cinebench points. So didn't see the risk vs reward there so can back to 30x and hanging here for now. Assuming there's something major holding my Cinebench score back almost 100pts from your if everything else is equal and thinking that's my cooling on the system. I still need to do the NB cooling and exhaust cooling fans. I appreciate the help on the memory I feel better that it's at 1333mhz. I'll looking into the USB3 adapter you recommended.

Thanks for some guidance here. I played around a little more with Throttlestop and Intel XTU I can be stable at 30-31x Multiplier. When I push to 32 things freeze. So right where you said. If I push the power max up to give the base more frequnecy I see my CPU temps shoot up to mid 70s and only got 8 more Cinebench points. So didn't see the risk vs reward there so can back to 30x and hanging here for now. Assuming there's something major holding my Cinebench score back almost 100pts from your if everything else is equal and thinking that's my cooling on the system. I still need to do the NB cooling and exhaust cooling fans. I appreciate the help on the memory I feel better that it's at 1333mhz. I'll looking into the USB3 adapter you recommended.

30X or 4 GHz is most stable OC for W3680, though in my case I can go upto 31X or 4.1 GHz and mostly system runs fine but when I process a large media file in HandBrake Application, sometimes system becomes unstable, so I also mostly run on 4 GHz, ................. It also depends upon the Silicon Lottery.

Don't bother much about Cinebench Score, which is synthetic benchmark. I had got 903 while running W3680 at 4.1 GHz all 6 cores, Intel Speedstep disabled in BIOS, 24 GB memory at 1333 MHz in Tripple Channel and no other Applications running on my system except Cinebench R15. Else if few apps are running, I also get 800+.

Last edited:
So this happened

I can confirm after 10 years of google mystery that the Dell T7500 does indeed run crossfire. Here running two RX 480s. This machine is still running a single 4 core. I may test it with a 6 core or even in my dual CPU T7500 tomorrow. You need to use the two X16 slots to make it work, this means there's not much room between the cards but at least in this case they are not getting hot.

I'll just leave a note.. you run one card from the 8 pin GPU plug and the other card from the 6 pin (you can go 6 pin to 8 pin) with the blue white and black wires). These seem to be on separate rails and there's no problem powering both cards with the T7500s PSU.

Getting each game setup can be a bit finicky as crossfire is but with some work you can run 80% of games well in crossfire and this results in dead smooth ultra settings with these two GPUs, even with that single old 4 core. Can also be used as a house heater.

Attachments

• IMG_0398.JPG
    IMG_0398.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 132
  • crossfire_T7500.png
    crossfire_T7500.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 113
System Name T7500
Processor X5650
Motherboard N/A
Memory 24
Video Card(s) AMD Firepro V5900
Storage SSD "Sasmung" and SSD Sandisk
Power Supply 1100W
Mouse Logitech G330
Keyboard Microsoft Curve
Software Windows Server 2016 - 2012 - 2008 - Ubuntu 18 / 14
Welcome to TPU!

Are you going to use it as a server? If not, Windows 10 LTSB/LTSC might serve you better.

As far as hardware monitoring, I use Open Hardware monitor for basic stats, and HWInfo for more detail stats when needed.

Thanks a lot for the Welcome and the hints

I have downloaded the hwinfo portable version and it's kind of cool!
for first time I can see my CPU temperatures.

I have an old Toshiba with T3400 processor which usually gets hotter than this Xeon!

22sep20_T7500_hwinfo_view.png

In my case I do need to use it like a server, both working and tweaking, it's like a lab for virtualization, file / backup server, app testing.

I like that I have a Xeon, but without the noise of a Dell R310
...to my surprise I can suspend it and wake up without issue

and my Geek's dream is to add the second CPU some day.

Hotter than a X5650 will get with the bigger heatsinks but that's about where they run with the alloy block, still well within the cpu's 81c limit though. So nothing to stress over.

Last edited:
Hotter than a X5650 will get with the bigger heatsinks but that's about where they run with the alloy block, still well within the cpu's 81c limit though. So nothing to stress over.
Still, that depends on the load. If that system is idling at 70+C then they have a cooling problem. The X5650 is a lower wattage CPU, it should not be getting that hot under idle conditions.

Yeah, pretty safe to say that's either under a full stress test or it has no heatsink on it at all

System Name Lenovo ThinkCentre
Processor AMD 5650GE
Motherboard Lenovo
Memory 32 GB DDR4
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Mouse Lenovo
Keyboard Lenovo
Software W11 Pro 64 bit
We could speculate all day, let's wait to hear back from them.
I'm going to speculate that it is running hot at idle, the minimum Core temp shown would be much lower otherwise.
For some reason the CPU fan seems to be at idle speed and not faster as it should be at that Temp.

unoproph

Hey there again TPU. Thanks for all the help getting me to this point with my T3500. So far very happy after learning a little more about some of the setting of Throttlestop. I am able to run at 31x with the boost power levels pushed to 180TDP and running very stable at 4.13ghz all core turbo. I have had a couple overheating concerns with longer stress tests pushing the CPU to 80 degrees under load. So I have pushed that back to 4.00ghz all core turbo at 30x. I am hitting 920 or so on Cinebench R15 and 1850 on R20 both higher scores then a standard I74770 or an I76700.

Strong platform X58 and I'm amazed what it can do... So how big of a bottleneck is this platform for a 1070 or a 2060 gpu at 4ghz? Would I see a significant performance increase over the RX570? I'm going there be keeping an eye out after the new year on the second hand gpu market once both Nvidia and AMD drop their new cards assuming the prices will continue to fall another 15 to 25%.

Uno

Strong platform X58 and I'm amazed what it can do... So how big of a bottleneck is this platform for a 1070 or a 2060 gpu at 4ghz?
I'm running a 2080 with a W3680 in a T3500. Some games are CPU bottlenecked, but not many and not by much. It greatly depends on the game. A GTX1070 would be a solid match though a 1080 would be better. I had a 1080 in the same system before the 2080 and performance was rockin.

System Name Primary (Zodiark)
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard MSI B550 MPG Gaming Plus
Cooling CPU: Hyper 212 Black Edition; Case: 5x Corsair 120mm fans
Memory 64GB Corsair DDR4-3400
Video Card(s) nVidia RTX 3090 Ti FTW3 UItra
Storage 2 WB_Black 2TB nVME gen4 M.2, 2 WD Gold 4TB, 2 WD Black 2TB
Display(s) 3 Asus 32" Curved 4k
Case Thermaltake View 37ARBG
Audio Device(s) LG 7.1 Dolby Atmos soundbar
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower PF1 ARBG 1200W
Mouse Logitech 502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion
Software Standard gaming software.. Windows 11 Pro, etc, etc, etc
Benchmark Scores userbenchmark: Gaming 229%, Desktop 103%, Workstation 273% (Tested Dec 25, 2022)
I know it's been a couple of weeks, but I wanted to give y'all an update on my T7500 project. After making a modification to the fan shroud ducting, I got the Hyper 212 into the system, as well as putting a fan controller (5.25 bay, powered, with 3 additional connectors if needed, plus temp sensors) in.

I certainly WON'T have to worry about temperatures ever again, I'll say that. It's been on for the last 7 days solid, and I've been stress testing it at least once a day, and I don't see temperatures (according to HWinfo and CPUInfo sending info to my G510s keyboard (gotta love LCD displays on keyboards)) anywhere as high as I did before. I'm idling somewhere around 73F (22.78C), and under stress, I'm not getting above 105F (40.55C). Average load in Fallout 4 has been somewhere around 85-90F (29.44-32.22C)

The next project I have in mind for it, is mounting caster wheels on the bottom to make it easier to move around (I'm not getting any younger, and it's a heavy beast). I'm also looking into getting a "different" heatsink/fan configuration for the Northbridge as I happen to have the board that only has the Southbridge "fan" if you can call it that. I'm thinking I can adapt something that will fit nicely over it, plus using the same mounting holes. (I knew I should have taken pictures before I put it into it's location).

Last edited:

spankaroo

Hey folks. I'm hoping this is the right group to ask... I think this is a pretty good spot!

I just purchased a Dell PowerEdge T140 and I'm looking to make things a bit more quiet. After all the settings I can possibly change in iDRAC9, I can't get the fans to spin below 69% at idle.

Unfortunately, the 5pin pinout seems different from all the "Dell 5pin fan connectors" out there. So far, I think the noise is generally the chassis fan (connector image attached).
Do I need to make a custom cable from one of the "Dell compatible" ones on Amazon? What should I do for the pinout? Ideas appreciated.

Spankaroo

Attachments

• IMG_2532.jpg
    IMG_2532.jpg
    520.8 KB · Views: 87
  • fans2.png
    fans2.png
    70.2 KB · Views: 87