• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Previously working GPU not working with new motherboard

System Name Potato of Doom
Processor Intel i7-2600k
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H
Memory 12gb DDR3
@Fancypantaloons any success yet? I concur you should try: different cables (power and display), as well as swapping in a different video card. I don’t think the card is the problem since you said it worked in the previous system.

It’s possible, but not likely GPU got shorted by static electricity and now doesn’t work. You could verify this by trying it in a different system.

No success yet. I tried different cables and same thing. Like you are saying, the card is not the problem because it worked on the previous system. I also tried different cards, same results. I tried my R7 in another system and still works. So I don't know! :(

See post #18.
Try another card in the board or your current card in another board. This will let you know if you have a card or board issue.
Cable will make no damn difference if the rig ain't seeing the card to begin with.

I tried 2 other graphics cards I got stored, same thing happens (those cards work in my previous system). Everything leads me to believe the issue is in the board or the BIOS.

I'm not the PC guru here, but if the card works to where you can see and get into the bios settings, my guess is the slot and card is good. I've never had any experience with a HDMI to VGA adapter, wouldn't there have to be some other type component thats integrated into a cable like that, for it to even work correctly in the OS?

Maybe I'm not being clear, excuse me if that's the case. I cannot get into the BIOS with my card, the screen gives no output at all while plugged into the card. I can only get to the BIOS and Windows through the internal graphics. I'm not using a HDMI to VGA adapter, but a DVI to VGA adapter.

Thank you all to keep trying to fix this with me. I don't see any end on sight. I'm thinking about doing what I'm about to write next, maybe you can tell me if it would work:

I'm thinking about taking the Intel i7 from this motherboard and install it in my old motherboard (where everything worked), but I don't know if they are compatible. They both use DDR3 memory. This motherboard is an Asus M4A88T-M/USB3. Would that processor work in this mother?

System Name Master
Processor Pair of Xeon X5675's @ 4.3
Motherboard SR-2 Classified
Memory 12 GB of Corsair Dominator GT's @ 2000 7-7-7-21
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX680
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750
It's a board problem, not bios.
If you clear CMOS, at default settings the board should still see the card, whether it's using it or not.
Have you tried a different slot yet?

Processor Ryzen 1600AF @4.2Ghz 1.35v
Motherboard MSI B450M PRO-A-MAX
Cooling Deepcool Gammaxx L120t
Memory 16GB Team Group Dark Pro Sammy-B-die 3400mhz 14.15.14.30-1.4v
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600 XT THICC II PRO
Storage 240GB Brave eagle SSD/ 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Dell SE2719HR
Case MSI Mag Vampiric 011C AMD Ryzen Edition
Power Supply EVGA 600W 80+
Software Windows 10 Pro
it could well be the CPU or the motherboard but the chances of having 2 pcie slots become faulty would be very minimal, you said you tried both right? and as you have tried 2 other GPU's, I would be looking at the CPU and the pcie lanes, have you removed the CPU and inspected it/the socket for any observable damage?

It's a board problem, not bios.
If you clear CMOS, at default settings the board should still see the card, whether it's using it or not.
Have you tried a different slot yet?
I believe he said he tried the other slots in his OP though I could be wrong

Processor Intel i7-2600k
Memory 12gb DDR3
Yes I tried different slots and same results. I also cleared CMOS and tried default settings but to no avail. I don't observe any damage in the motherboard, at least not visible ones! I didn't remove the CPU but I will try and see, even though the PC is fully working (except for the graphics card of course).

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 3
Software Win 11 Pro x64
I definitely had to check when AMD dropped VGA support. But can’t pursue that angle the card definitely does tho the DVI adapter is still a bit of a question mark regardless. The DVI is apparently Dual Link so it’s digital so your adapter may only be for older DVI Analogue.
But regardless of that you‘ve said the card doesn’t even show up in Device Manager when using onboard? That board does have a short lived Hybrid solution Lucidlogix Virtu MVP allowing you to use both onboard and dedicated together. Unfortunately the instructions about enabling(disabling it aren’t entirely clear. But setting the display device as PEG should disable any of that. Only other thing I can find is under BIOS Features is try setting PCI Rom Priority to Legacy ROM that about all I can find for any/ kind of compatibility setting.

System Name Bessy 6.0
Processor i7-7700K @ 4.8GHz
Motherboard MSI Z270 KRAIT Gaming
Cooling Swiftech H140-X + XSPC EX420 + Resevior
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB DDR-3200 CL14 (B-die)
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Armor OC
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 250GB x2 RAID0 + various other SATA drives
Power Supply XFX 750W Black Edition
Software Win10 Pro
I somehow doubt this will help, but you never know... Did you check the "clear DMI pool data" box when you flashed?

I honestly can't remember if this gets cleared when the battery is removed, but normal clearing of the BIOS, and flashing without the option enabled, won't clear it. So, that might have already happened when you removed the battery.

Shootin' in the dark here... this is bugging me now lol

System Name Alienware PC
Processor Intel 4790K
Motherboard ASROCK Z97 EXTREME4
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 32GB DDR3 1600 MHz
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon HD 7770 2GB GDDR5
Storage SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2
Display(s) SAMSUNG UE57 Series 28-Inch 4K UHD
Case Alienware Area 51 Black Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Realtek On Board
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt
Mouse Microsoft Wireless
Keyboard HyperX - Alloy Elite 2 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard.
Software Windows 10 Pro & LTSB & LTSC Windows 11 Pro
Maybe I'm not being clear, excuse me if that's the case. I cannot get into the BIOS with my card, the screen gives no output at all while plugged into the card. I can only get to the BIOS and Windows through the internal graphics. I'm not using a HDMI to VGA adapter, but a DVI to VGA adapter.
Sorry, @69 sometimes my old brain plays tricks on me. :D

Processor Intel i7-2600k
Memory 12gb DDR3
I definitely had to check when AMD dropped VGA support. But can’t pursue that angle the card definitely does tho the DVI adapter is still a bit of a question mark regardless. The DVI is apparently Dual Link so it’s digital so your adapter may only be for older DVI Analogue.
But regardless of that you‘ve said the card doesn’t even show up in Device Manager when using onboard? That board does have a short lived Hybrid solution Lucidlogix Virtu MVP allowing you to use both onboard and dedicated together. Unfortunately the instructions about enabling(disabling it aren’t entirely clear. But setting the display device as PEG should disable any of that. Only other thing I can find is under BIOS Features is try setting PCI Rom Priority to Legacy ROM that about all I can find for any/ kind of compatibility setting.

I tried both Legacy ROM and UEFI (or EFI idk exactly the letters) in the PCI Rom Priority, but with no luck. There are some other options that let you choose between Legacy and UEFI (or EFI, again), but they are not helping me in anyway. Maybe there is a combination I'm not trying but it's getting confusing.

I somehow doubt this will help, but you never know... Did you check the "clear DMI pool data" box when you flashed?

I honestly can't remember if this gets cleared when the battery is removed, but normal clearing of the BIOS, and flashing without the option enabled, won't clear it. So, that might have already happened when you removed the battery.

Shootin' in the dark here... this is bugging me now lol

I don't remember seeing an option that says "clear DMI pool data", where should it be? I'm going to hunt it down!

Sorry, @69 sometimes my old brain plays tricks on me. :D

Hey don't worry about it! It's hard to keep track of everything, happens to me too.

System Name boomer--->zoomer not your typical millenial build
Processor i5-760 @ 3.8ghz + turbo ~goes wayyyyyyyyy fast cuz turboooooz~
Motherboard P55-GD80 ~best motherboard ever designed~
Cooling NH-D15 ~double stack thot twerk all day~
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP ~memory gone AWOL~
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 ~*~GOLDEN EDITION~*~ RAWRRRRRR
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 Evo (OS X, *nix), 128GB Samsung 840 Pro (W10 Pro), 1TB SpinPoint F3 ~best in class
Display(s) ASUS VW246H ~best 24" you've seen *FULL HD* *1O80PP* *SLAPS*~
Case FT02-W ~the W stands for white but it's brushed aluminum except for the disgusting ODD bays; *cries*
Audio Device(s) A LOT
Power Supply 850W EVGA SuperNova G2 ~hot fire like champagne~
Mouse CM Spawn ~cmcz R c00l seth mcfarlane darawss~
Keyboard CM QF Rapid - Browns ~fastrrr kees for fstr teens~
Software integrated into the chassis
Benchmark Scores 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
I'm thinking about taking the Intel i7 from this motherboard and install it in my old motherboard (where everything worked), but I don't know if they are compatible. They both use DDR3 memory. This motherboard is an Asus M4A88T-M/USB3. Would that processor work in this mother?
I just wanted to say a) that I’m so impressed with your candor and patience in this thread and b) to say that you should definitely not do this — your old board is AMD and has a different socket than your new one.

Sorry I can’t be of more help; good luck!

System Name Bessy 6.0
Software Win10 Pro
I don't remember seeing an option that says "clear DMI pool data", where should it be? I'm going to hunt it down!

It's at the bottom of "@ BIOS" which is the Windows flashing utility. It's on page 69 of the manual. I'm not seeing the option with QFlash (I think that's the utility built into the CMOS).

Processor Ryzen 1600AF @4.2Ghz 1.35v
Motherboard MSI B450M PRO-A-MAX
Cooling Deepcool Gammaxx L120t
Memory 16GB Team Group Dark Pro Sammy-B-die 3400mhz 14.15.14.30-1.4v
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600 XT THICC II PRO
Storage 240GB Brave eagle SSD/ 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Dell SE2719HR
Case MSI Mag Vampiric 011C AMD Ryzen Edition
Power Supply EVGA 600W 80+
Software Windows 10 Pro
its the board, or CPU, test either one of them and you will come to the same conclusion

Processor Intel i7-2600k
Memory 12gb DDR3
I just wanted to say a) that I’m so impressed with your candor and patience in this thread and b) to say that you should definitely not do this — your old board is AMD and has a different socket than your new one.

Sorry I can’t be of more help; good luck!

Hey! Thank you! I believe that without patience one cannot solve anything correctly. And thank you for letting me know about my old board! That idea is off the table for good!

It's at the bottom of "@ BIOS" which is the Windows flashing utility. It's on page 69 of the manual. I'm not seeing the option with QFlash (I think that's the utility built into the CMOS).

Oh I see! I updated the BIOS through an USB and using the Q-Flash thing, that's why I can't remember the option, but I will check again if it is somewhere in there. Regarding this a new question comes to my mind. The Q-Flash and/or @bios are only for updating the BIOS or can I use them to "flash" the BIOS? Flashing the BIOS is resetting it, right? I'm new to these terms!

System Name Bessy 6.0
Software Win10 Pro
Oh I see! I updated the BIOS through an USB and using the Q-Flash thing, that's why I can't remember the option, but I will check again if it is somewhere in there. Regarding this a new question comes to my mind. The Q-Flash and/or @bios are only for updating the BIOS or can I use them to "flash" the BIOS? Flashing the BIOS is resetting it, right? I'm new to these terms!
Flashing is just the usual word for updating a BIOS. Also, after flashing, don't forget to go in and load defaults right after (this is in the manual).

Processor Intel i7-2600k
Memory 12gb DDR3
Flashing is just the usual word for updating a BIOS. Also, after flashing, don't forget to go in and load defaults right after (this is in the manual).

Yes, when I updated the BIOS to the lastest full version I loaded the defaults.
This brings another question...Updating to the lastest BETA version, would that help in any way? Also, what about downgrading? Maybe there is an older version that works?

System Name Bessy 6.0
Software Win10 Pro
Yes, when I updated the BIOS to the lastest full version I loaded the defaults.
This brings another question...Updating to the lastest BETA version, would that help in any way? Also, what about downgrading? Maybe there is an older version that works?
You could try older and beta versions.

The good thing is that that board has "DualBIOS" which has a backup built-in if a new one fails to work, so using beta versions shouldn't be a problem even if they go wonky (see page 66 in the manual).

P.S. There are three revisions of that board also: 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2. I'm not sure if the BIOS's are different for each revision, but you want to make sure you download from the page with the right version.

If you go here, which is v1.0, there are links to the other two versions at the top of the page next to the model number.

Processor Core i7-13700
Motherboard MSI Z790 Gaming Plus WiFi
Cooling Cooler Master RGB something
Memory Corsair DDR5-6000 small OC to 6200
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500GB,,WD850N 2TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 11 Professional v23H2
I haven’t seen any option in the BIOS. It’s triggered automatically by a hardware change just after the first Post screen you see on the monitor. Usually the monitor blanks out for a second and it shows up the next time the monitor displays an image with detected hardware summary. The updating DMI is on the bottom.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 4070 Ti Super OC 16GB
Storage 1x 1TB MX500 SSD; 1x 6TB WD Black; 2x 4TB WD Black; 1x 1TB BX500 SSD; 1x 6TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) Infievo 27" 165Hz @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-1000 Gold
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
I'm not using a HDMI to VGA adapter, but a DVI to VGA adapter.
Hmmmm....Is the adapter correct? I think for it to work it must be DVI-I output to the adapter, not DVI-D.

Am I correct you are only using the adapter with your Discrete card, not not with the onboard graphics?

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 3
Software Win 11 Pro x64
Hmmmm....Is the adapter correct? I think for it to work it must be DVI-I output to the adapter, not DVI-D.
This I think is part of the display issue at least. It’s DVI-D output and can‘t just use a regular old VGA adapter.

Processor 5930K
Motherboard MSI X99 SLI
Cooling WATER
Memory 16GB DDR4 2132
Video Card(s) EVGAY 2070 SUPER
Storage SEVERAL SSD"S
Display(s) Catleap/Yamakasi 2560X1440
Case D Frame MINI drilled out
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse DEATH ADDER
Keyboard Razer Black Widow Tournament
Software W10HB
Benchmark Scores PhIlLyChEeSeStEaK
Remove the Battery, do an over night Cmos clear. Can you use a different VGA cable? Borrow another cable?

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
The card could be dead

i remember years ago with an... x850? i removed the GPU from the slot to place my old one back in, but left the PCI-E power cable connected, and the GPU caught fire when i powered on the system... you could have just killed it by accident.

I cant recall if you tested it in another intact system, can you try that?

Processor Intel i7-2600k
Memory 12gb DDR3
You could try older and beta versions.

The good thing is that that board has "DualBIOS" which has a backup built-in if a new one fails to work, so using beta versions shouldn't be a problem even if they go wonky (see page 66 in the manual).

P.S. There are three revisions of that board also: 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2. I'm not sure if the BIOS's are different for each revision, but you want to make sure you download from the page with the right version.

If you go here, which is v1.0, there are links to the other two versions at the top of the page next to the model number.

Thank you! I will try different versions then, to see what happens. I guess it's the same process I used even for older versions.

Am I correct you are only using the adapter with your Discrete card, not not with the onboard graphics?

The adapter is correct because I've been using it with the same card in my previous build just like 3 days ago. But even if it isn't, that doesn't explain why the card is not being recognized by the motherboard. That's why I think the problem resides in the motherboard or the BIOS. The card works, the adapter works, the cables and monitor work too, already tested with previous build.

Remove the Battery, do an over night Cmos clear. Can you use a different VGA cable? Borrow another cable?

The problem doesn't reside in the cable, because the card is not being recognized by the motherboard. Last night I put the same card in my previous motherboard, same cable, same monitor, and everything worked perfectly.

The card could be dead

i remember years ago with an... x850? i removed the GPU from the slot to place my old one back in, but left the PCI-E power cable connected, and the GPU caught fire when i powered on the system... you could have just killed it by accident.

I cant recall if you tested it in another intact system, can you try that?

Yes, I tried it with my previous build, both when I was using that build just three days ago and in the middle of this process to check exactly that, so the GPU is fine.

I really appreciate all the work you guys are putting here, I feel blessed! But we have to discard some things once and for all, things I tested and I'm 100% sure on it.

These are the things we can rule out and you can trust me in that. I was able to test them successfully:

1) The graphics card is working fine in previous motherboard.
2) The DVI to VGA adapter works fine, I've been using it for years and I tested it once again with my previous build and same graphics card.
3) The cables are working fine, also tested them again with my previous motherboard.

I cannot stop thinking about some kind of compatibility issue regarding Legacy, UEFI, between the graphics card and the motherboard. There's something I'm missing somewhere, a combination of settings or something.
Maybe the Legacy support of this BIOS is not working. I do not know if my graphics card is Legacy or UEFI. This is the first time I heard of UEFI, my previous motherboard had a "normal" BIOS, I guess that's Legacy. So I THINK my card is Legacy. If the support for it is not working properly maybe I just need to get a newer graphics card that supports UEFI.
Even when I reset the BIOS and leave the default settings as they are, this thing is not working!

Once again, I thank you all for your determination in this. I hope I'm being useful too, I'm aware I'm not a super pro-user so it can be frustrating.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 3
Software Win 11 Pro x64
Unfortunately that is literally Ver1 of UEFI so it’s the very first try.so can only ask so much. Have you attempted to flash the latest Beta BIOS available it will at in the least give the latest fixes that would be available. Also because it’s literally UEFI MK1 I’m pretty sure it allows you to go back to the classic AMFI BIOS as well which might be worth a look to see if there’s any other possible settings available.

Processor Intel i7-2600k
Memory 12gb DDR3
Unfortunately that is literally Ver1 of UEFI so it’s the very first try.so can only ask so much. Have you attempted to flash the latest Beta BIOS available it will at in the least give the latest fixes that would be available. Also because it’s literally UEFI MK1 I’m pretty sure it allows you to go back to the classic AMFI BIOS as well which might be worth a look to see if there’s any other possible settings available.

I'm going to test the lastest BETA BIOS today, and I will get back to you. Also, do you know how can I go back to that classic AMFI BIOS you mention? I've not seen any options related to something like that.

Don't worry if it takes me some minutes or even hours to answer, I'm testing everything I can and at the same other life issues demand my attention. I will answer you always guys!

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 3
Software Win 11 Pro x64
I'm going to test the lastest BETA BIOS today, and I will get back to you. Also, do you know how can I go back to that classic AMFI BIOS you mention? I've not seen any options related to something like that.

Don't worry if it takes me some minutes or even hours to answer, I'm testing everything I can and at the same other life issues demand my attention. I will answer you always guys!
Well I has skimmed the manual and dual bios was mentioned and makes sense being the first UEFI attempt to have the AMFI bios as a fallback. I’ll poke through the manual again but I would think it would just be a different key press on Boot to go the “other one!

Well all I can find referencing any kind of Switch“ is this or also pressing F1 “Switch to 3D BIOS Screen“
5702CD01-F923-4053-AF9D-E6DE669793EC.png

Processor Intel i7-2600k
Memory 12gb DDR3
Well I has skimmed the manual and dual bios was mentioned and makes sense being the first UEFI attempt to have the AMFI bios as a fallback. I’ll poke through the manual again but I would think it would just be a different key press on Boot to go the “other one!

Well all I can find referencing any kind of Switch“ is this or also pressing F1 “Switch to 3D BIOS Screen“
View attachment 171481

Yeah that goes to a screen of an interactive picture of the motherboard, it contains the same options as far as I can tell. I will also investigate to see what I can find!