• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's Nostalgic Hardware Club

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
People report favorably on 48 gig installed ( cannot personalty vouch on this )

Ruru

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero
Cooling Arctic Freezer 50
Memory 48GB Kingston DDR4-3200C16
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce RTX 3080 TUF OC 10GB
Storage ~3TB SSDs + 3TB external HDDs
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518 + Asus TUF P1 mousepad
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis
That "ASYNC" power supply is actually a re-branded "Codegen". I used to have those in my old rigs, including previously-mentioned PII Adison. Some folks would probably say that it's cheap, low-budget PSU that's better to avoid in the long run, but I honestly can't say anything bad. It's not great, there's a ton of room for improvement but I've seen worse ... MUCH worse! :)

Edit
I still remember how a Codegen 350W murdered my 6600 GT almost 15 years ago :(

stinger608

Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder
System Name Dean Machine/2020 Ryzenfall
Processor Intel 4790K/AMD Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard MSI 1150 Gaming mATX/Gigabyte AORUS ELITE B550
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED/SilverStone AH240 AIO
Memory 16 gigs Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer/16 gigs G.Skill TridentZ NEO DDR4
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 1660 Super/Gigabyte GTX 1660
Storage Crucial SSD 256 and 2TB spinner/Dual Samsung 980 Pro M2 NVME 4.0
Display(s) Overlord 27" 2560 x 1440
Case Corsair Air 540
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic modular 850 watt Platinum/EVGA T2-850 Titanium
Software Windows 10 Pro/Windows 10 Pro
People report favorably on 48 gig installed ( cannot personalty vouch on this )

As noted above @Mr Bill , I would guess either 32 gigs or 48 gigs. Probably since a newer BIOS. Did you read what changes were made in the latest BIOS?

I still remember how a Codegen 350W murdered my 6600 GT almost 15 years ago :(

Problem with those PSU's, is that they often came with ATX cases as a sollution all in one. You simply buy a case and have a suitable PSU for usually office or internet work, but when you'd apply some load esp on the 12V lines, things drop badly. HDD"s suffered from that, but also cheap board with a not so good designed VRM setup would flutuate like crazy in relation of voltages supplied to the CPU.

When i worked at a webshop many many years ago, we often saw people build systems of up to 2500 euro, to finally get a ATX case with a no-name "300W" build-in PSU, and have it returned in usually less then 3 months with a blown PSU. We at some point advised clients to not to buy these no-name cheap PSU's that come with a case.

I had a Q-tec 650W for years as well; i'm guilty too; Q-tec was a cheap knockoff brand that always released PSU's that advertised with a peak power rather then sustained one.

It had 3 fans, lol. And it could take a beating as well; but the efficiency was so terrible; it woud'nt be an exception pulling a 1000W from the wall alone just to power a 400W system. It's design was terrible, when you applied load the 12V rail would drop back to 11.2V and even 5V rail was like jumping back and forward to 4.4V > 5V.

For sensitive components like HDD's this was a terrible sollution. But somehow it managed to run 2 of my builds for years, lol. Ive never encountered the thing to explode or fire up tho.

Ruru

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
I remember those infamous Q-Tecs as well as some bought those here in Finland... damn it was a too common mistake to get a crap PSU 15 years ago. :banghead:

System Name FATTYDOVE-R-SPEC
Processor Intel i9 10980XE
Motherboard EVGA X299 Dark
Cooling Water (1x 240mm, 1x 280mm, 1x 420mm + 2x Mo-Ra 360 external radiator)
Memory 64GB DDR4
Video Card(s) RTX 2080 Super / RTX 3090
Storage Crucial MX500
Display(s) 24", 1440p, freesync, 144hz
Case Open Benchtable (OBT)
Audio Device(s) beyerdynamic MMX 300
Power Supply EVGA Supernova T2 1600W
Mouse OG steelseries Sensei
Keyboard steelseries 6Gv2
Software Windows 10
17 of them?

Not bad, its 20. I would assume you missed the one top right, left of the upper cap and the one partly hidden by the heatpipe beneath 3 caps left of the NB. The last one clings to a 5V linear regulator above the ITE super I/O chip.

The whole system I build with this is.... interesting. I packed this poor midi-tower with 5 case fans (one being a 200mm that acts as a support structure to dampen any potential movement from the CPU heatsink) and a GTX280 bundled with a 9600GT as dedicated physX unit.
Its one big ghetto mod, held together by cable ties, velcro tape, tight fits and willpower.

Going to try and beat the OC on my other rig.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
I remember those infamous Q-Tecs as well
Still got same one as above apart from cooling fan crapping out and replacing >>> mine still works ( only use it as )a testing PSU

Still got same one as above apart from cooling fan crapping out and replacing >>> mine still works ( only use it as )a testing PSU

Yep. The fans where terrible. They made alot of noise, they where from a certain pink plastic and their airflow was ridiculous and had nothing much todo with the cooling of the PSU itself. It was more like for ATX cases that back then, often did'nt had room nor space for "exhaust" fans. We used to dremel our in and outtake fans into the ATX panel(s) back then.

Today's ATX case has all these features and room for even 3 watercooling setups.

17 of them?
I counted 19...

That "ASYNC" power supply is actually a re-branded "Codegen". I used to have those in my old rigs, including previously-mentioned PII Adison. Some folks would probably say that it's cheap, low-budget PSU that's better to avoid in the long run, but I honestly can't say anything bad. It's not great, there's a ton of room for improvement but I've seen worse ... MUCH worse!
Those things were pretty generic BITD, but they were solid none the less. You've already taken it apart to inspect and it looks good. I say rock-on!

and the one partly hidden by the heatpipe
I think that's the one I missed. Still can't see it, unless it's the silver thing touching the three caps. Lighting in the pic isn't great.

Last edited:
Processor 5800X3D -30 CO
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling DeepCool Assassin III
Memory 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V @ 3800 CL14
Video Card(s) ASRock MBA 7900XTX
Storage 1TB WD SN850X + 1TB ADATA SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell S2721QS 4K60
Case Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced USB 3.0
Audio Device(s) Audiotrak Prodigy Cube Black (JRC MUSES 8820D) + CAL (recabled)
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750
Mouse Logitech Cordless Desktop Wave
Keyboard Logitech Cordless Desktop Wave
Software Windows 10 Pro
Its one big ghetto mod, held together by cable ties, velcro tape, tight fits and willpower.
Will you post the pictures here or in the ghetto thread? :p

We used to dremel our in and outtake fans into the ATX panel(s) back then.
Oh yes... Haven't we all tried this? Not owning a dremel myself, I resorted to using a jigsaw and a drill on my cases :D

System Name Cumquat 2021
Processor AMD RyZen R7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus Strix X670E - E Gaming WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool LT720 + CM MasterGel Pro TP + Lian Li Uni Fan V2
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident Z5 Neo 6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ OC RX6800 16GB DDR6 2270Cclk / 2010Mclk
Storage 1x Adata SX8200PRO NVMe 1TB gen3 x4 1X Samsung 980 Pro NVMe Gen 4 x4 1TB, 12TB of HDD Storage
Display(s) AOC 24G2 IPS 144Hz FreeSync Premium 1920x1080p
Case Lian Li O11D XL ROG edition
Audio Device(s) RX6800 via HDMI + Pioneer VSX-531 amp Technics 100W 5.1 Speaker set
Power Supply EVGA 1000W G5 Gold
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core Wired
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Windows 11 X64 PRO (build 23H2)
Benchmark Scores it sucks even more less now ;)
I have a question I've been wanting to ask, hopefully I'm in the correct zone. :D I have the Asus P6T Deluxe V2 board, it only suppose to be able to use 24 gig of ram, of course I did update the bios due to wanting to use the 5670 Xeon, not sure I had to, but I did. Question is, I now have 28 gig of ram installed, and it see's it in the bios and in the OS, and seems to be working fine. I never tried using the 28 gig with the older bios version, so I'm not sure the bios update had anything to do with it or not, I'm wondering what the ram limit is now? Ok, I just looked, it appears this is a picture forum, I can delete this post, where do I need to post this question? Thanks Bill

Most likely when the spec was written for this mobo the largest dimm size in GB was 4GB so 6x4GB=24GB

I counted 19...
count red dots

DSC-0029-2_LI (2).jpg

stinger608

Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder
System Name Dean Machine/2020 Ryzenfall
Processor Intel 4790K/AMD Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard MSI 1150 Gaming mATX/Gigabyte AORUS ELITE B550
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED/SilverStone AH240 AIO
Memory 16 gigs Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer/16 gigs G.Skill TridentZ NEO DDR4
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 1660 Super/Gigabyte GTX 1660
Storage Crucial SSD 256 and 2TB spinner/Dual Samsung 980 Pro M2 NVME 4.0
Display(s) Overlord 27" 2560 x 1440
Case Corsair Air 540
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic modular 850 watt Platinum/EVGA T2-850 Titanium
Software Windows 10 Pro/Windows 10 Pro
I had an old Enermax PSU that looked exactly like that Q-Tec. It even had the gold color and the dual fans. Only thing it did have is the on/off button by the power port.

System Name Adison "Open Space" 19
Processor Intel Pentium II, 350MHz
Motherboard Chaintech 6BTM, Slot 1
Cooling SECC Cartridge
Memory 1x 64MB, PC100
Video Card(s) ATI Rage IIc AGP, Diamond Monster 3DII 12MB
Storage BTC BCD-40XH, Quantum Fireball 3.5 Series, EX6.4 GB
Display(s) LG StudioWorks 57M
Case Adison Midi Tower, ATX
Audio Device(s) Creative SoundBlaster 128
Power Supply Codegen 300W
Mouse Genius SlimStar 110, PS/2
Keyboard Genius SlimStar 110, PS/2
Software Microsoft Windows 98
With the Chaintech board recapped, Pentium II dusted, CRT monitor taken to the electronics shop for repairs & Adison case being painted & repaired, I'm pretty much done on my end & can't do anything but to wait.

So, as I was thinking about the overall cost of all these repairs (especially the case), I came up with crazy idea. No, obviously I'm not going to do it at this stage, but I'm wondering ... just how difficult would it be to make a whole NEW case from scratch, using the old one as a template? Because the actual chassis could be laser cut in size, and then riveted into shape of just about any computer case - especially Adison. I've seen people doing much more complicated things when restoring old timers & other heavy machinery, so I can't think of the reason why it wouldn't work on something as simple as computer case.

Furthermore, all the plastic parts could be 3D printed & again, shaped into any form & size. Therefore, it would theoretically be possible to replicate the Adison case entirely! The only problem that I could think of would be the power button spring and/or power & HDD LEDs since they're not "standard" & both appear to be uniquely shaped.

Did anyone ever attempted something like this before? Any idea how much would it cost? Essentially, we are talking about sheets of metal (steel?, about 1, 1.5mm thick) And loads of 3D printing!

Cooling SECC Cartridge
Memory 1x 64MB, PC100
Cool! Post pics when everything is all assembled. :toast:
Will do, of course. But keep in mind, this could take a while before I have all the components ready for installation.

System Name FATTYDOVE-R-SPEC
Processor Intel i9 10980XE
Motherboard EVGA X299 Dark
Cooling Water (1x 240mm, 1x 280mm, 1x 420mm + 2x Mo-Ra 360 external radiator)
Memory 64GB DDR4
Video Card(s) RTX 2080 Super / RTX 3090
Storage Crucial MX500
Display(s) 24", 1440p, freesync, 144hz
Case Open Benchtable (OBT)
Audio Device(s) beyerdynamic MMX 300
Power Supply EVGA Supernova T2 1600W
Mouse OG steelseries Sensei
Keyboard steelseries 6Gv2
Software Windows 10
Will you post the pictures here or in the ghetto thread? :p
Going to post them here. Will take some later today.

These DFI boards... Just when you thought you knew about all their quirks they suddenly come up with something new to bother you.

I was getting close to an OC I was happy with when I decided to use SetFSB to feel my way forward instead of going into bios each time. I felt this was the safest move to boot up on stable settings and test things out in OS far away from the bios, since IF I somehow corrupt this bios chip it will be a huge pain to fix. It is wedged underneath the top PCIe slot, I would have to unsolder it in order to attach my flasher.

Anyway, never use SetFSB on this board. It messes up with something, might have to do with the cached bios I don't know. First sign of trouble was, that the clock I set in software somehow retained after reboot. It should not do that, I went into bios and there it was still set to 4.2GHz while in fact it was now booting with 4.3GHz all the time. Next thing I knew it stopped posting for a while. Then I got it back to boot but now it was stuck to default FSB clocks. I could no longer change the FSB, not in software and not in bios. Each value I set it just ignored.

Had this happen just recently on a Gigabyte P45 board and there it had a corrupted SMbus driver showing in device manager. To fix that I just had to re-assign the chipset driver.

Well now this did not work for the DFI JR. There was no error showing up, reassigning or installing the drivers did nothing. I tried the usual, cut power and reset RTC + CMOS. Still, no control over FSB. Any other value I could change but FSB stays the same.

I left it without power over night and this did fix it... No idea what it is with these boards, but some EEPROM or whatever on these boards does not reset when you cut power, take out the battery and bridge all reset jumpers. You need to leave it for a few hours without anything plugged in and battery removed.

Lesson learned, NO software OC on DFI P45 boards if you want to keep your sanity.

Processor Core i7-13700
Motherboard MSI Z790 Gaming Plus WiFi
Cooling Cooler Master RGB something
Memory Corsair DDR5-6000 small OC to 6200
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500GB,,WD850N 2TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 11 Professional v23H2
Did anyone ever attempted something like this before? Any idea how much would it cost? Essentially, we are talking about sheets of metal (steel?, about 1, 1.5mm thick) And loads of 3D printing!
Found a company that will build a fully custom PC enclosure. I'd be curious of the price that want for a custom ATX enclosure because they advertise in images small form-factor cases on the website.

System Name Alienware PC
Processor Intel 4790K
Motherboard ASROCK Z97 EXTREME4
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 32GB DDR3 1600 MHz
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon HD 7770 2GB GDDR5
Storage SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2
Display(s) SAMSUNG UE57 Series 28-Inch 4K UHD
Case Alienware Area 51 Black Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Realtek On Board
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt
Mouse Microsoft Wireless
Keyboard HyperX - Alloy Elite 2 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard.
Software Windows 10 Pro & LTSB & LTSC Windows 11 Pro
Found a company that will build a fully custom PC enclosure. I'd be curious of the price that want for a custom ATX enclosure because they advertise in images small form-factor cases on the website.
I still think for the best unobstructed view of the inside of a PC is plexiglas, it's fairly cheap and easy to cut, minimal tools required, and many different YouTube videos for ideas.

Cooling SECC Cartridge
Memory 1x 64MB, PC100
Cool stuff!

You know, I always had this crazy idea inside my head, of building a sleeper PC out of my Adison system. I'm not going to do it with my one (and only) case, BUT if I'd ever find another one, I'd fill it up with all the latest hardware components & then finish it off from the outside to make it seem as if it's just another Pentium II or an old Celeron :D Heck, I would even put a floppy drive, just for that finishing touch!

The only problem would be the ventilation... This particular case is notorious for the airflow, since it doesn't have any side vents. There are couple of holes on the back panel, and it has the ability for optional front (intake) 80x80 fan, which is pretty much worthless for today's standards.

I still think for the best unobstructed view of the inside of a PC is plexiglas, it's fairly cheap and easy to cut, minimal tools required, and many different YouTube videos for ideas.
Plus if it gets scratched it's can be easily polished and buffed up.

Ruru

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Personally I like acrylic/plexi more than glass.. easier to replace if something bad happens. Though acrylic can get scratched too easily.

Cooling SECC Cartridge
Memory 1x 64MB, PC100
So, I just discovered a potential issue...

While going through all the parts (currently scattered across my entire room) I realized that the Adison case is missing a power switch... And I'm not talking about the plastic knob/button on the front panel, I'm talking about the actual, mechanical switch that goes behind the panel & gets mounted onto the chassis.

I have a theory on this, which could explain the missing switch, along with couple of other bits & pieces but I can't be sure about this (nor it doesn't really matter). I believe that the former owner used to have & run an old "AT" board inside this case - probably an old Pentium/Pentium MMX, so therefore the power switch would had been part of the PSU & it would be removed once he took it out. But if that's the case, I could easily find another mechanical switch & hook it up onto the metal frame, because it was obviously designed to be interchangeable between AT & ATX standards. In fact, I believe I got one of those in stock but I have to check it out. Again - I can't do anything or try anything until I get the case back!

Yep. Old AT cases (Not ATX) had their power switch coming directly from the PSU, and not the today's little wire you got in ATX boards.

Hmmmm, AT boards... I remember hooking up the PSU wires the wrong way instantly frying a Socket 7 board. It was that day that ive learned that AT PSU cable's needed to have the black sides in the middle, and not the outside.

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
Problem with those PSU's, is that they often came with ATX cases as a sollution all in one. You simply buy a case and have a suitable PSU for usually office or internet work, but when you'd apply some load esp on the 12V lines, things drop badly. HDD"s suffered from that, but also cheap board with a not so good designed VRM setup would flutuate like crazy in relation of voltages supplied to the CPU.

When i worked at a webshop many many years ago, we often saw people build systems of up to 2500 euro, to finally get a ATX case with a no-name "300W" build-in PSU, and have it returned in usually less then 3 months with a blown PSU. We at some point advised clients to not to buy these no-name cheap PSU's that come with a case.

I had a Q-tec 650W for years as well; i'm guilty too; Q-tec was a cheap knockoff brand that always released PSU's that advertised with a peak power rather then sustained one.

It had 3 fans, lol. And it could take a beating as well; but the efficiency was so terrible; it woud'nt be an exception pulling a 1000W from the wall alone just to power a 400W system. It's design was terrible, when you applied load the 12V rail would drop back to 11.2V and even 5V rail was like jumping back and forward to 4.4V > 5V.

For sensitive components like HDD's this was a terrible sollution. But somehow it managed to run 2 of my builds for years, lol. Ive never encountered the thing to explode or fire up tho.

I remember those infamous Q-Tecs as well as some bought those here in Finland... damn it was a too common mistake to get a crap PSU 15 years ago. :banghead:
God I remember those damn things as well.. Thankfully I never had any issues with mine but they where crap...

I remember I was having a bit of an overclock battle with one of the members from a forum called PC Stats and I had gone from one of those Q Tec things to an Enermax 480w unit... (I think the Q Tec was 550w??) and wow what a difference.. Higher overclock and more stable to boot.. Quality A tier PSUs from then on...

I can't find the photo of the result or the weblink for it since Futuremark have taken down support for 2001SE, PC Mark 2002 and 04... which is a darn shame! I'll see if I can get another one score and go from there :D :D

Loving this thread everyone!! :D :D