• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell Workstation Owners Club

I have 12GB in there right now, 3x 2GB 10600R in the mobo slots and the 3x 2GB 10600R in the riser.
That's a solid config. Do you need more? If so, go for 4GB REG-ECC DIMMs. They're cheap and will work with your system. 3x4GB for each CPU will likely be more than you really ever need. For example;
Perfect kit for that system! $41 shipped and from a good seller.
and then realized I was trying to mix R-ECC and non-ECC RAM and it would get stuck at the 1-3-2 beep code and 1-3 lights.
Don't worry to much, you didn't hurt anything, it just won't run with mixed RAM types.
I think the X5675 has very good price to performance for a machine like yours.
This. A pair of these would make that system leaps and bounds more powerful without breaking the bank or creating a lot of heat.
$24 shipped so for $48 you have a solid upgrade set. These with the ram kit above and you'll have a bit of a power-house on your hands.

BTW, Welcome to TPU!

rdizzle321

Thank you elfoam and Lex for the comments and support. I found out the hard way about mixing non-ECC and reg-ecc ram - didn't know that was a thing, but then again, have never used server-type-hardware. Was pulling my hair out and just brute-force tested different combinations of RAM until could get past the beeps and see the video error about non-ECC. Doing an Amazon return for the 3x 4GB Patriot non-ECC chips I bought and will look for some deals you've suggested.

Curious about where I should focus my upgrade efforts first... For now, I don't do anything too fancy for gaming - a bit old school, did the FPS thing back in the late 90s/early 2000s when you had to build your own servers for hosting/live mics etc. but not my jam anymore - plus I'm over the hill (35) and just not good vs. most FPS'ers LOL.

Mainly I'll play things like Sim City, Civilization, Transport Giant, Cities Skylines etc.... A lot of simulation games on Steam and then N64/PS1/PS2/SNES roms. With this new rig I am going to try FIFA 21 so I don't have to buy a console. Right now I reserving 3 cores for UnRaid/Plex (and 4GB of RAM) and giving Windows 10 vm for gaming 5 core pass-through and 8GB of ram. Do you think that the processor or the RAM would be a better first upgrade given my use case?

Additionally - do you know which MOBO the T5500 has for PCPartPicker? I don't see a way of finding/choosing the Dell OEM one. I have the 0CRH6C one.

System Name Dell T3500
Processor Xeon X5687
Motherboard Dell - 9KPNV
Cooling Dell U016F
Memory 12gb ECC 1333
Video Card(s) MSI rx480 gaming X
Storage 1tb WD blue
Case Dell T3500
I read that's a possibility with some of the Dell Workstations but haven't been able to find out if the sensor is on the IO panel on the 5500 or only the 390/490s. The machine does hold it's fans correctly for about 20 seconds but after that just sends every fan in the system flat out. I guess given that I can set the voltage in software inside windows that the main fan control IC is ok. Anyway I just ordered a IO board since they don't cost much to see if that will fix it.
Yes. I believe a temp sensor and fan controller resides there in the Tx500 series as well. Seems I read some posts on the Dell forums to that effect. Reason for the 40-pin ribbon cable. Have been able to fix and duplicate such errors by switching those front boards.

So my question is, what's the largest size RAM chip this mobo will support? 8GB? Will it really only support the memory configs in the setup manual or as long as i use groups of 3 I'm ok? It's really going to be setup for some like Plex Media Server, and for a gaming VM.
Can say with certainty the t5500 main boards will support 6x8gb=48gb. IBM #49Y1415 modules are on the compatibility list and should work regardless of re-brand. Micron, Hynix, whatever. Valid link in my signature.

Last edited:
Do you think that the processor or the RAM would be a better first upgrade given my use case?
12GB of ram is solid. And given what you're currently doing with the system, I'd go for the CPU's first. Inexpensive and more than worth it. After that, if you want to improve gaming a bit without spending too much, a used GPU like a GTX 760 or 770 would be a solid option, unless you already have a good one. What is your current GPU?

rdizzle321

My brother-in-law sold me his 1060 for cheap so I have that setup. It's the ASUS GTX 1060 6GB (DUAL-GTX-1060-06G), so I'm ok with that for a while. I'll prob pull the trigger on the processors. never installed one of those! should be fun. May grab some ram too. For $100 I can make a big leap

My brother-in-law sold me his 1060 for cheap so I have that setup. It's the ASUS GTX 1060 6GB (DUAL-GTX-1060-06G), so I'm ok with that for a while.
Nice! Yeah, that's a good card. Unless you want to play some CyberPunk2077 or something else very recent, that card will be good for a while.
I'll prob pull the trigger on the processors. never installed one of those!
There's nothing super complicated about it. Just make sure you have thermal compound(ArcticSilver5 or MX4 will do well and are dead cheap) and take things carefully.
May grab some ram too. For $100 I can make a big leap
With those two examples I list above, that's $90 shipped for 2 6core CPUs and 24GB of ram.

Last edited:

rdizzle321

Hi Lex,
I was poking around and I found this seller that is doing 6x 8GB chips for a similar price. Any reason why it wouldn't work?

It's overkill to go to 48GB, but for a similar price/shipping time to Canada, I feel like it's worth it. Let me know please. Appears to be ECC Registered and "looks" right.

thanks you again for all the help.

Hi Lex,
I was poking around and I found this seller that is doing 6x 8GB chips for a similar price. Any reason why it wouldn't work?

It's overkill to go to 48GB, but for a similar price/shipping time to Canada, I feel like it's worth it. Let me know please. Appears to be ECC Registered and "looks" right.

thanks you again for all the help.
Those will work! Good find, especially for Micron RAM. Go for it!

Last edited:

Azhrarn

Hi I recently acquired a used Dell T7810. I was under the impression that it was supposed to be a silent machine. But I can hear the fans, some of them are louder then they should.
As I wanted to upgrade this system anyway. I took the whole system apart in order to acquire the information of the fans that are used and oil them a bit up as well.
This went reasonably well, but I am not happy about the resulting noise. I think that the cpu fan is gone (too noisy for my taste anyway)
And probably one of the three of the system assembly as well.
So I am thinking about replacing them...

Info about fans
2* PSU FAN : 60*60*25 (Model DS06025B12U) -->DC 12V 0,7A (4 wire, PWM?)
CPU FAN : Foxconn PVA080F12H (80*80*20mm) 12V --> Special proprietary kabel. Needs adapter if change to other cable.
3 * Chassis Fan : Forcecon DFS923212MD0T : 92x92x32mm 12V 1.5A 4W

Problem is that these all seem to be pretty special fans... Not too much with these formats...
So ok, maybe I can swap the CPU cooler for another one. But which one. And i will also need the special adapter for 4pin pwn to 5pin dell latch type. Any good site for that in europe. Not china stuff that takes 2 months...
Also My PSU is a 685Watt.
This is ample for the current processor in it, but I have 4*E5-2697v4 lying on my desk as well as 8*32GB DDR4 2400T ECC RAM.
I am thinking of upgrading the system with either 1 or 2 CPU's. So if I choose 3rd party CPU Cooler they can not hinder each other. Or should I just stay with the Default Dell heatsinks. If so where do I buy a good used or new one. Because I hate noise.
Concerning the GPU i am running a feeble Quadro P600, that is fine for me.

You see first world issues, I know. Any advice for a newcomer?

Hi there! Welcome to TPU and this thread!

I recently acquired a used Dell T7810. I was under the impression that it was supposed to be a silent machine. But I can hear the fans, some of them are louder then they should.
I don't like starting on a down note, however whoever gave you that impression mislead you a little bit. They are are very quiet when idle, but they can make a hell of a racket when under load.

2* PSU FAN : 60*60*25 (Model DS06025B12U) -->DC 12V 0,7A (4 wire, PWM?)
Not much you can do about those as they are custom fans in a custom config. They shouldn't be the source of too much noise though.

CPU FAN : Foxconn PVA080F12H (80*80*20mm) 12V --> Special proprietary kabel. Needs adapter if change to other cable.
These you can change if you find a 4pin PWM to Dell 4pin adapter cable.

3 * Chassis Fan : Forcecon DFS923212MD0T : 92x92x32mm 12V 1.5A 4W
These you can also change, but again with adapter cables.

This is ample for the current processor in it, but I have 4*E5-2697v4 lying on my desk as well as 8*32GB DDR4 2400T ECC RAM.
The CPU swap might or might not be a good trade. It depends on what you have now and what your use-case-scenario will be. However the RAM is a good upgrade all day long, go for it.

So if I choose 3rd party CPU Cooler they can not hinder each other.
Again, whether or not you go with 1 or 2 CPU's will depend on what you have not and your needs. If you ultimately stay with a single CPU setup you can use any CPU cooler you wish that fit inside the confines of the case.

If so where do I buy a good used or new one. Because I hate noise.
Unfortunately noise is an almost unavoidable part of computing, especially with high end hardware like what you have. High power comes with noise. It's just par for the course. However, that noise can be reduced if you are willing to spend the money for the right equipment. You should consider an AIO water cooling solution if you go with one CPU and a custom loop water cooling setup for both CPU sockets being used if being quiet is important. However with that case your options are going to be limited somewhat.

Concerning the GPU i am running a feeble Quadro P600, that is fine for me.
You mean the Quadro P6000? There was no P600 and the Quadro 600 predates that system by 7 years. If so, that is the Quadro version of the Pascal based GP102 Geforce Titan. That's not a wimpy GPU and will make noise all on it's own under load.

So the questions I have for you are: What are you planning for this monster of a system? What are it's current specs and will you be keeping it for a short time or do you want to get a few years worth of use out of it?

The T5810 T7810 etc have a low fan speed option in the bios, makes a big difference, so check that is on, there's also a Dell watercooler for the CPU

Azhrarn

My current system.
cpu-gpu-20-12-2020.PNG

NVIDIA Quadro P600 Specs | TechPowerUp GPU Database

My usage will be homelab. Probably as a pure Hypervisor with Wake On Lan Enabled. So that I can wake it up when required.
How long will I keep it, I guess less then a year, but more then 3 months.
So I think I will just use one e5-2697v4 with 128GB RAM. Probably enough. Selling the rest of as keeping it wil just devaluate it's money.

I don't want to run custom AIO Water Cooling no room in this case. In fact not even enough room for a normal CPU Heatsink If you don't get rid of the ODD Drive bay.
Also the Dell T7910 AIO solution is horrible without making a hole in the side panel, as the T7910 ventilated side panel doesn't fit the t7810...
Question : Can you run single CPU in CPU2 location? Probably not...

I was more thinking about something like a Noctua NH-U9S (125mm height clearance required) or if not fit the Noctua NH-D9DX i4 3U (110mm height clearance) or do you have a good recommendation?

About the 3 * Chassis Fan : Forcecon DFS923212MD0T : 92x92x32mm 12V 1.5A 4W --> Which fans as searching around doesn't give much.
Also Can I buy new spare parts from Dell somewhere? Might be easier and hope they are more silent?

PS : Removing the Front Assembly Fans is a b*tch in this t7810. What an idea to need to remove the entire motherboard for that!

System Name D30 w.2x E5-2680; T5500 w.2x X5675;2x P35 w.X3360; 2x Q33 w.Q9550S/Q9400S & laptops.
Mine T5500 is a lot of noise, when it's dusty. The sound of the "room size jumbo jet" airliner taking off, western - not russian one.
So every 1~2 months I need to open it, scoop up & dust off all the parts (meaning the coolers).

It's the price of using that kind of machine (workstation) with dual CPUs.

Azhrarn

OK I decided what to do.
I will first try to hackup the default Heatsink and "try to" attach a Noctua NF-A8 PWM on it using the dell 5 pin to 4 pin pwm adapter cable. (Waiting for it, Comes from England... Stuck in traffic now I guess).

If that fails or temps too high with the E5-2697v4 I will swap with Noctua NH-U9S. I prefer not as it will require the need to remove 5 1/4 bay as well as leave an ugly gap in the system.
--> I honestly have no idea how good/bad this standard heatsink is for CPU1.

Also bought a used (yeah, couldn't find a new in Europe...) 3xFAN Front Assembly Chassis. This gives me 6 fans to test which are the most silent ones. (I hope that the used ones are still good... RISK I know)

If system is silent enough in my opionion then. I keep it, otherwise I resell.

Sounds to me the front I/O control panel is on it's way out. Common issue with these and pretty easy fix. Dell part # M884G.

I got the replacement front I/O panel for the T5500 and plugged it in (just hanging out the side of the case for a test) and that seems to have fixed the full speed fan problem. That was a very helpful hero post, Thank you.

I will buy another for a spare since I still have two T5500s running.

System Name Dell T620
Processor 2x E5-2697 v2
Motherboard Dell v6 G1CNH
Cooling Stock
Memory 256GB
Video Card(s) Onboard currently
Storage N/A
Display(s) 1 x 27" 4K
Case Default OEM
Power Supply 2x 1100watt
Hello all,

Has anyone tried to take a dell tower and put it in a generic case?

I have a T5600 and want to put it in a different case.

Hello all,

That would take a big effort. The front panel controls would present a few serious problems. It's otherwise a standard ATX case and mobo.

Hello all,

It's a pretty common thing to do for the Russians, they use both Dell and HP motherboards for this.