• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Final Fantasy VII Remake - finally on PC

System Name His & Hers
Processor R7 5800X/ R7 7950X3D Stock
Motherboard X670E Aorus Pro X/ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Cooling Corsair h150 elite/ Corsair h115i Platinum
Memory Trident Z5 Neo 6000/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Video Card(s) Evga FTW 3 Ultra 3080ti/ Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090
Storage lots of SSD.
Display(s) A whole bunch OLED, VA, IPS.....
Case 011 Dynamic XL/ Phanteks Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime Titanium 1000w/850w
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed/ Logitech G Pro Hero.
Keyboard Logitech - G915 LIGHTSPEED / Logitech G Pro
Pretty much...

Personally for a remake, this is fine. And I say this as a fan of the series who fell in love with VII in 1999,

It has that moden-ish combat style which I got used in FFXV - I don't mind. And I love to see my favourite girls (Tifa, Aerith & Yuffie) with modern graphics. Loved those already in the original.
From what i'v notice trough all the criticism of all remakes is people get very triggered when some certain story events or bits of the soundtrack is altered to fit modern time tastes or change something that didn't stick the landing in the original, they want their remake to be the EXACT SAME, BEAT TO BEAT, of the original but when something is different in the remake it almost feels like the developers has greatly demolished and offended someone cherished, nostalgic, childhood memory, so they go to great length as calling it a "tragic remake" and go on dissing it because the idea of that version of the game is what the current audience will forever remember and not his rose tinted glassed childhood game he grew up with, just deeply rubs him the wrong way...

I'v always looked at that behavior as pitiful and childish, like who cares man, whatever new direction the developers take an established story in a remake isnt going to erase the original game, but nooo, the universe centered about ME, there for the universe MUST RESPECT the things i like and not fiddle with them or i'll have a childish tantrum. lol

If you gonna add time of fan into this, then I got you beat son. I been fan of ff series since 3 (6 in japan). And as a fan older than you, it's crap.
To each their own man, and its not like the game is truly bad, i'v just checked the user scores and critic scores on open critic and its very positive on both, clearly people like the game enough, i dont understand how someone can stand his ground with such opinions about something despite it being universally loved, if someone likes the game good for them, glad they found enjoyment in something they paid for, why rain on someone parade because he liked something, which btw, is actually loved ?

Other than those childish fans, the only negative criticism about this game i'v seen so far was this bad PC port

Last edited:
System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
Epic paid for the exclusivity

Buying a PlayStation isnt a bad idea even if you are a pc gamer, those playstation exclusives are so god damn good and they look better than most maxed out titles on PC, i bought a PS4 when God of War came out and i dont regret my decision one bit, greatest game i'v experince in all of 2018, and the rest of the exclusives were the cherry on top !

It is ported from the PS5, a console with 16gb ram

Yeah, Square is worse than most westren game corporation, the fact they released an almost 2 year old game for 70 dollars despite being a problematic port is shady as fudge.
Konami of all things, release Metal Gear Rising on PC a year after its launched with two free DLCs , essentially a complete edition of the game for 30$
Thankfully DF have just gave this port coverage and gave a damning review, it was needed.

Still inconclusive what the causes are, I have an opinion its dev's been forced to lower VRAM caching and its background shader/texture loading causing stutters, others think its other things.

Ultimately as my reply to their video says, I have judged the port based on the price, the amount of time they had to work on the port, and what they achieved with FF15 port, I simply cannot defend square enix. When Lightning Returns was released for £17 on steam with 70% dev share, it had more graphical options than this.

Thankfully DF have just gave this port coverage and gave a damning review, it was needed.

Still inconclusive what the causes are, I have an opinion its dev's been forced to lower VRAM caching and its background shader/texture loading causing stutters, others think its other things.

Ultimately as my reply to their video says, I have judged the port based on the price, the amount of time they had to work on the port, and what they achieved with FF15 port, I simply cannot defend square enix. When Lightning Returns was released for £17 on steam with 70% dev share, it had more graphical options than this.
Yeah, and the have the audacity to charge 70$ on an almost 2 year old game is pure insanity, i can understand asking that much for a new triple A game, but a game that originally launched for 60$ resurfaced years later on PC asking more than that ?!!!!!!!!!! and if that wasn't a great insult, its a low effort port aswell, so more insult to injury

Ridiculous

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
From what i'v notice trough all the criticism of all remakes is people get very triggered when some certain story events or bits of the soundtrack is altered to fit modern time tastes or change something that didn't stick the landing in the original, they want their remake to be the EXACT SAME, BEAT TO BEAT, of the original but when something is different in the remake it almost feels like the developers has greatly demolished and offended someone cherished, nostalgic, childhood memory, so they go to great length as calling it a "tragic remake" and go on dissing it because the idea of that version of the game is what the current audience will forever remember and not his rose tinted glassed childhood game he grew up with, just deeply rubs him the wrong way...

I'v always looked at that behavior as pitiful and childish, like who cares man, whatever new direction the developers take an established story in a remake isnt going to erase the original game, but nooo, the universe centered about ME, there for the universe MUST RESPECT the things i like and not fiddle with them or i'll have a childish tantrum. lol

To each their own man, and its not like the game is truly bad, i'v just checked the user scores and critic scores on open critic and its very positive on both, clearly people like the game enough, i dont understand how someone can stand his ground with such opinions about something despite it being universally loved, if someone likes the game good for them, glad they found enjoyment in something they paid for, why rain on someone parade because he liked something, which btw, is actually loved ?

Other than those childish fans, the only negative criticism about this game i'v seen so far was this bad PC port
Because I dont think a trend requires everyone to follow and some people can think for themselves?

Martin Scorsese said about marvel (superhero) movies, calling them a circus, was right, yet those movies are critical successes. I dont enjoy them though.

A lot of people criticized the game for its story changes. Hence the term "Time Jannies" was a phrase used a lot regarding the "ghosts" in the game.

What is childish and pitiful behavior was when you told someone that they should leave a crypto thread cause you didn't agree with them, which you got blasted for. Now that was childish. And thus you lost all respect from me from there. What is also childish and pitiful behavior is when you tell someone that they should enjoy it or like it cause so many others do too. Now, maybe you follow trends so you can look popular, but I am old enough not to really care so I don't.

Last edited:

Ruru

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer w/ 2x 240 rads
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce RTX 3080 TUF w/ EKWB FC
Storage ~4TB SSDs + 6TB external HDDs
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 + Lenovo 32" 4K60
Case Define Mini C
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse MX518 og
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
Sad face it's still just the first part of the game.
Yep. And AFAIK we need to purchase the next parts with a high price too..

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 11
Yep. And AFAIK we need to purchase the next parts with a high price too..
Or, wait till you are about 58 years old when parts 2 and 3 come out, and see if there is some kind of bundle deal.

Ruru

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Case Define Mini C
Mouse MX518 og
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Or, wait till you are about 58 years old when parts 2 and 3 come out, and see if there is some kind of bundle deal.
I need to have a kid who will play the last parts as I've probably died from old age then :laugh:

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 11
I need to have a kid who will play the last parts as I'm probably died from old age then :laugh:
Better get to work then cause you aint getting younger.

Maybe your conciousness will be uploaded to the internet and your future son/grandson can download it into a robot. Or a computer so you can play it yourself like WOPR in Wargames.

Ruru

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Case Define Mini C
Mouse MX518 og
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Better get to work then cause you aint getting younger.

Maybe your conciousness will be uploaded to the internet and your future son/grandson can download it into a robot. Or a computer so you can play it yourself like WOPR in Wargames.
But hey, at least they did make a remake (or at least a part of it) as I remember when my jaw dropped when I saw this in 2005..

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 11
But hey, at least they did make a remake (or at least a part of it) as I remember when my jaw dropped when I saw this in 2005..

Yeah, I was impressed too when I saw that. But then again, I had little hope cause of Enix, the part after Square.

Now I am curious what they plan to do about the "world map" if they even have one? I imagine this game may be far more linear than anything and as I have seen in a video review of FFX, it set the tone for future titles when it itself was linear. Final Fantasy 15 though did do us a huge part with the first 9 chapters and the open area so maybe there is still some hope!

Ruru

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Case Define Mini C
Mouse MX518 og
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Yeah, I was impressed too when I saw that. But then again, I had little hope cause of Enix, the part after Square.

Now I am curious what they plan to do about the "world map" if they even have one? I imagine this game may be far more linear than anything and as I have seen in a video review of FFX, it set the tone for future titles when it itself was linear. Final Fantasy 15 though did do us a huge part with the first 9 chapters and the open area so maybe there is still some hope!
Yeah, I have the world map question as well. And I agree how they did it in XV, I loved that game too.

People don't like XIII that much as it's pretty closed when compared to other FF games, but I like it. And a lot. :D

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 11
Yeah, I have the world map question as well. And I agree how they did it in XV, I loved that game too.

People don't like XIII that much as it's pretty closed when compared to other FF games, but I like it. And a lot. :D
Didn't care for either.

FF15 is where the meme "Press O to win" came from. It's story was pretty decent, but it was rushed. Very rushed. After chapter 9, it was abysmal and as I mentioned before, it would tell you about details in the game that you cannot even witness because those parts were removed from the final game (caves near Shiva's dead butt. And no, not her butt being a cave. Some kind of caves between the desert and tundra). Combat system was abysmal and FF7 Remake at least fixed that part too. But the first part of 15 was good.

Final fantasy 13..... I feel so bad for you that you like that game. But don't worry, there is always help outside. There is always someone to talk to.

Joking aside, I think I have a total of 2hrs and 35mins shown on my xbox 360 that I have played that game. I still got it, but never picked it up since. That is how much I liked it.

Ruru

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Case Define Mini C
Mouse MX518 og
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Didn't care for either.

FF15 is where the meme "Press O to win" came from. It's story was pretty decent, but it was rushed. Very rushed. After chapter 9, it was abysmal and as I mentioned before, it would tell you about details in the game that you cannot even witness because those parts were removed from the final game (caves near Shiva's dead butt. And no, not her butt being a cave. Some kind of caves between the desert and tundra). Combat system was abysmal and FF7 Remake at least fixed that part too. But the first part of 15 was good.

Final fantasy 13..... I feel so bad for you that you like that game. But don't worry, there is always help outside. There is always someone to talk to.

Joking aside, I think I have a total of 2hrs and 35mins shown on my xbox 360 that I have played that game. I still got it, but never picked it up since. That is how much I liked it.
I don't even remember the story of XV, I spent all the time doing sidequests.. :laugh:

System Name His & Hers
Storage lots of SSD.
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
I don't even remember the story of XV, I spent all the time doing sidequests.. :laugh:

I liked XV quite a bit the sidequest especially the monster hunts were pretty fun.

Ruru

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Case Define Mini C
Mouse MX518 og
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
I liked XV quite a bit the sidequest especially the monster hunts were pretty fun.
Still need to grind and kill those superbosses (adamantoise and that witch at least)

System Name His & Hers
Storage lots of SSD.
Still need to grind and kill those superbosses (adamantoise and that witch at least)

I never beat Melusine I remember fighting her around level 60 and she whooped my a$$.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 11
I actually found those locked doors to be intriguing. The ones that had a really hard boss like monster behind em and you needed that key in new game +?

It did give replayability.

I'm hoping at least hidden stuff like that and hidden locations overall to obtain secrets in ff7 remake. If they want to add stuff in, then new secrets and secret bosses would be most ideal.

System Name His & Hers
Storage lots of SSD.
I actually found those locked doors to be intriguing. The ones that had a really hard boss like monster behind em and you needed that key in new game +?

It did give replayability.

I'm hoping at least hidden stuff like that and hidden locations overall to obtain secrets in ff7 remake. If they want to add stuff in, then new secrets and secret bosses would be most ideal.

I'm wondering how they will handle Ruby and Emerald Weapon and the knights of the round table summon.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Happy to have a PS5 to play this without the terrible stutter that they've shown in DF video. This looks like another cash grab by SE. No way in hell I'll pay €70 for it.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 11
I'm wondering how they will handle Ruby and Emerald Weapon and the knights of the round table summon.
I'm curious too.

Maybe, just maybe, we may get a chance to fight Sapphire weapon. You know, the one that gets its head blown off by Shinra's cannon at Junon? It would have been cool to see what kind of foe he would have been.

But yeah, underwater battle with emerald in this new one.... either they make the battle happen at an underwater facility, on deck of a ship or not at all.

I fear they may make them some kind of VR boss fight.

System Name Ultraman
Processor Intel core i9 13900HK
Motherboard Alienware/Dell inverted motherboard
Cooling Alienware/Dell cooling solution + IETS GT500 cooling pad
Memory Alienware/Dell 32GB 6000mhz DDR5
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX4080 12GB
Storage 1TB Dell supplied NVME + Samsung Evo 1TB NVME
Display(s) AOC Gaming CU34G3S/BK
Case Alienware X16
Audio Device(s) onboard/Speakers: Logitech G560
Power Supply Alienware/Dell battery + 330W charger
Mouse Microsoft Pro Intellimouse - White
Keyboard Ducky One2 SF White MX cherry Red
Software Windows 11
I just want to see Zack and Aerith together bruh, after that ending they showed the post ending scene in the DLC expansion.
Whoever is a fan of CloudxAerith no no no no, CloudxTifa yes or even CloudxBarret sure lol but not Aerith. After experiencing Crisis Core its ZackxAerith all the way.

System Name His & Hers
Storage lots of SSD.
I just want to see Zack and Aerith together bruh, after that ending they showed the post ending scene in the DLC expansion.
Whoever is a fan of CloudxAerith no no no no, CloudxTifa yes or even CloudxBarret sure lol but not Aerith. After experiencing Crisis Core its ZackxAerith all the way.

As much as purist would hate it I would rather there be a way to save her.

Ruru

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Case Define Mini C
Mouse MX518 og
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
I'm curious too.

Maybe, just maybe, we may get a chance to fight Sapphire weapon. You know, the one that gets its head blown off by Shinra's cannon at Junon? It would have been cool to see what kind of foe he would have been.

But yeah, underwater battle with emerald in this new one.... either they make the battle happen at an underwater facility, on deck of a ship or not at all.

I fear they may make them some kind of VR boss fight.
Having Sapphire as a boss would be hella awesome! I've only killed it in FF Record Keeper (a great mobile game btw)

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I think I'm just gonna watch this... AGAIN. And wait for this FFVII milk job to complete.

Same graphics anyway :D