• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AsRock Teases NFT Motherboard - The Z690 PG Riptide NFT Edition

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
This shows how deeply entrenched in the tech-bubble so-called "enthusiasts" are.
Hi,
Enthusiasts wouldn't be anywhere near this pos 250.us board series but as asrock notes it will worth more by third party sellers lol :laugh:

This is bottom of the barrel crap series at best.

System Name "Icy Resurrection"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX ENCORE
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S upgraded with 2x NF-F12 iPPC-3000 fans and Honeywell PTM7950 TIM
Memory 32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 7600 MT/s 36-44-44-52-96 1.4V
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 500 GB WD Black SN750 SE NVMe SSD + 4 TB WD Red Plus WD40EFPX HDD
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Pichau Mancer CV500 White Edition
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Classic Intellimouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth STL-03
Software Windows 11 IoT Enterprise LTSC 24H2
Benchmark Scores I pulled a Qiqi~
From what I can tell you (might, likely not) win a motherboard-themed NFT, not the other way around. I see no mention of there being physical prizes.

Lol, "anti-NFT fad" - more like a broad range of people seeing right through an environmentally damaging system that is literally only useless for facilitating scams, gambling for the wealthy, and money laundering.

Also, what you're bringing up here is a false equivalency: while neither add "objective value" to a motherboard (please tell me how value can be "objective", i.e. not relative to any aspect of human society, btw), one adds to a system that is causing massive environmental damage, while the other pays some royalties to some niche celebrity and uses some extra paint. The drawbacks are not comparable, in other words.

As for this: while this seems exceedingly dumb and poorly thought through - which is par for the course for NFT projects, so hardly a surprise - have they even considered the effects of letting users submit per-pixel color value and then averaging them? If you mix a bunch of different colors, what do you get? Brown. Always brown. Nothing but brown. All shades of brown. So, either ASrock is being misleading about their "averaging" mechanism, or they have just created a wildly overcomplciated system for crowdsourcing a splotchy brown motherboard design. Wonderful. Knowing the current RGB aesthetic, some of that brown will be tinged in magenta, cyan, teal, or some other non-brown tone, but as they can't control which parts are which across submissions, the end result will be ... brown.

Are ASrock trying to make the most random camo pattern ever generated?

Right behind you here... sooner NFTs and crypto disappear the better. Certainly a technology not developed for the best interests of mankind, and now also being used to fund wars. Count me out...

AsRock

TPU addict
The sad thing is their motherboards as of late have been anything but garbage. And the other sad thing is pretty much every vendor is buying into the crypto/NFT bandwagon as much as they are able. It's weird.

Never had a issue with them, i have a lot more issue's with Giga and MSI.

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
Hi,
I predict purple and pink as the winner :laugh:

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
This shows how deeply entrenched in the tech-bubble so-called "enthusiasts" are. No, people don't get turned off from building a PC by NFTs, people in general don't care about this niche activity. Computers are a commodity bought to fulfill a certain task, usually related to work or, at most, scrolling Facebook or playing games. I can tell you from experience that association with work and problems with Microsoft Office turn people off from even using computers on an incomparably larger scale than niche NFT market shenanigans even most enthusiasts don't begin to understand.
So, a few loud enthusiasts have a crusade against NFTs and try to rile people up to destroy the thing they don't like.
You're clearly not paying much attention, as PC enthusiasts are by far not the majority of people protesting against NFTs. Artists, musicians, creative workers of all kinds (including game developers), journalists, and an increasing number of tax agencies and other public financial oversight organizations vastly outnumber us. If anything, I'd estimate the PC enthusiast scene to have a much higher percentage of NFT proponents than most other groups, as the crypto ideology is particularly strong among a certain subset of tech enthusiasts (mostly those already bought into it and thus with a vested interest in it failing - go figure).
Normal people have another thing to spent their money on. So, NFTs are a essentially a money grab - big whoop,
Yes, because what we need in a world with rampant and increasing wealth inequality is to care less about the mechanisms the wealthy use to hoard their wealth and avoid taxation. That makes sense.
do I really have to tell you about the thing called jewellery your girlfriends and/or wives demand? Diamonds are essentially worthless, but through efforts of De Beers and other marketing companies are now a thing you work your ass off to get a favor from a female.
While diamonds are indeed a giant scam, the casual sexism really, really isn't helping your cause here.
That's how economy works,
Only if we let it. If only there were alternative approaches to managing the world than predatory capitalism...
if I got a cent every time I read that "microtransactions will destroy game industry, cause thermonuclear war and impregnate your sisters", I would have a big box of cents. And yet, most of those people now run around with colorful skins they despise so much.
They do? I'm not under the impression that those are the same people. Also: how is the current existence of poorly regulated ways of squeezing money out of people (and often kids) an argument for not protesting against more mechanisms to do similar things? That does not compute.
You know what? You guys talked me into it. It seems like an easy way of separating fools from their money so I'm going to look into that.
Sure, very believable. I mean, with your fatalist attitude and clear disillusionment I get the frustration, but remember, you're actively arguing FOR things getting WORSE. If you actually dislike these things, like your arguments make it seem like, then you're actually arguing for worsening your own suffering. Sorry, but that is not a convincing perspective.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
The lack of understanding of these manufacturers and publishers who think NFTs will be well-received is mind-boggling.

How are they so utterly ignorant of the effects that NFT's blockchain, Ethereum, has had on their customers?

Using NFTs anywhere near gamers is akin to offering a knife to someone who's been repeatedly stabbed.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
This shows how deeply entrenched in the tech-bubble so-called "enthusiasts" are. No, people don't get turned off from building a PC by NFTs, people in general don't care about this niche activity. Computers are a commodity bought to fulfill a certain task, usually related to work or, at most, scrolling Facebook or playing games. I can tell you from experience that association with work and problems with Microsoft Office turn people off from even using computers on an incomparably larger scale than niche NFT market shenanigans even most enthusiasts don't begin to understand.
So, a few loud enthusiasts have a crusade against NFTs and try to rile people up to destroy the thing they don't like. Normal people have another thing to spent their money on. So, NFTs are a essentially a money grab - big whoop, do I really have to tell you about the thing called jewellery your girlfriends and/or wives demand? Diamonds are essentially worthless, but through efforts of De Beers and other marketing companies are now a thing you work your ass off to get a favor from a female. That's how economy works, if I got a cent every time I read that "microtransactions will destroy game industry, cause thermonuclear war and impregnate your sisters", I would have a big box of cents. And yet, most of those people now run around with colorful skins they despise so much.
You know what? You guys talked me into it. It seems like an easy way of separating fools from their money so I'm going to look into that.
Dude, I got news for you... you are posting things about me like "This shows how deeply entrenched in the tech-bubble so-called "enthusiasts" are." from you OWN bubble. And I don't mean that in an insulting way. We all exist in our own spheres of information on the internet. It just is a fact of internet communication. You can't see me - and I can't see you. And all any of us get to see is what gets put out. If you want to try to reduce it to bite-sized chunks, I can't blame you. But I also have a hard time taking the whole way you came at this seriously. If this was a real life convo, you'd have killed it with half of what you said there.

And for the record, I don't bust ass for diamonds :laugh: Anybody who has digested anything I've said on this site probably wouldn't take me for someone who spends thousands on a rock just to consummate a relationship. That is so not me, it's hilarious. You really lost it when you started talking about women and diamonds. Again, you talk about people being in bubbles but you actually don't see how hard I laughed when I read that, you just presume. You really think there aren't girls that don't care about diamonds? To me, a diamond girl is vanilla-flavor. We don't have much to talk about. I'd still be a virgin if all girls were like that. I also don't buy skins and crap like that. I don't support things I don't agree with when I can help it - I value that sort of thing, and generally I find that actually living by one's stated values makes for a more coherent sense of just... living. It's good to have a sense of values and try to work them into your choices and that is how I model my life. I find that when I push back against things in the world I don't agree with, or find another path, the world doesn't seem so bad and I don't find myself needing to "give up" on things in order to face it every day.

Why would you think that, anyway? You think people are just lying about what they think about NFTs? That there's no basis for people having any issues with how it is being used? Should tech people NOT care about how new technology gets used? Or do you simply reject our whole line of thinking as invalid? Either way, I gotta ask... why bother if this is the kind of stuff you have to say? Your argument for why I should get out of my bubble and support NFTs is barely there in that paragraph, outside of this vague hinting that scam NFTs are a small piece of the pie, which honestly isn't even enough for me, that small piece would still be doing quite a good bit of damage. It comes off more like this 'mad at the world' rant. It's like you just gave up on having an actual conversation right out of the gate. Dunno what you want from me.

Honestly, @Valantar already broke it down pretty well. All I can say to you, is good luck with the attitude thing, and have a better day.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024
Right behind you here... sooner NFTs and crypto disappear the better. Certainly a technology not developed for the best interests of mankind, and now also being used to fund wars. Count me out...
It was developed with the best intentions, I strongly believe. Unfortunately, that dream is dead, and those of us with ethics fled this industry a while ago.

Never had a issue with them, i have a lot more issue's with Giga and MSI.
My current gigabyte is ok but I think I just lucked out. Every manufacturer can make a good board occasionally.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Software Windows 10 Pro
It was developed with the best intentions, I strongly believe. Unfortunately, that dream is dead, and those of us with ethics fled this industry a while ago.
I wouldn't write off a later phoenix-style ascension. It could happen. But I think right now the bad side kind of has to be bled out. This stuff is going to run a course and then the tech might lie relatively fallow. But in that period, it is my hope that maybe people can explore better uses for it, without so many distractions tugging on development of actual, beneficial usage. There is still so much possibility. That doesn't change because people abuse it. It's just another thing to figure out. I feel like anyone who considers themselves interested in any sort of digital technology should be able to see the promise in crypto and even NFTs. I don't think ideas like those ever completely die, either. There will always be people who tug on those opportunities, who see value in mere challenges and relative inaccessibility. There will always be room for those divers in tech spaces. And fortunately in this whole tech game, it is possible to re-roll back on the main board. The landscape changes so quickly sometimes that it basically becomes a new game. I personally am not writing it off yet, even if I can't support a lot of what goes on today. Tomorrow can still be better.

I actually kind of find the backlash reassuring. Some people jump right into stereotypical hate, but the sentiment I most often see is largely directed at the people using the NFTs and how they are using them. I'm glad there has been this concentrated push to address that. It is the standard that needs to be held to really move forward with the tech in the first place. If we are to have it, it cannot be used in this way, as it stymies the good it may yet be capable of. I think it is good that there are people in different societies around the world who are invested in these notions, and treat them with massively overdue importance. It is a travesty, truly. Seeing how this stuff has been used as made me more world-weary. But not so much towards the tech itself as the people who use it, and the society that places it in their hands and gives them license to abuse it and get away with it. We have to fix that up a bit, and then tech like this can flourish more. What if it is through things like this that we learn to better adapt and integrate technology? There's no guide book. We do stuff, things happen, accounts are taken, and actions are chosen. The better we get at that, the more good tech we can have, and the more we can do with it.

I kinda see this being a theme with modern tech. It clashes with societal issues more and more. Our relationship with technology as a whole has been pretty heavily corrupted by financial interests. I think this is a difficult thing for many tech-minded people to deal with. I think it's probably very alienating for a lot of people. People and politics aren't at all like traces and SMDs. But the philosophy behind the technology and how it is placed in the world clearly does at least as much to determine its ultimate success as the overall potential and efficacy does. Some people are really good with these kinds of ethics, maybe just prone to thinking more of them. Others would rather be in a basement, just tweaking and building stuff, tucked in a bubble that allows them the freedom to study and work. It takes all kinds to make it work, even if all sides might not agree. I don't think they're supposed to. "Hegelian dialectics" comes to mind. Mind you, I can't put any substantial truth to that, but I think it is possible that a synthesis can emerge from this whole situation in due time. I'm taking it as a societal-level learning experience.

I look at this in long-long game terms. One day, I'll be dead, but the world will keep turning, and it'll matter to people there then. I'm as hungry for change as anyone, but patience and ideals go hand in hand. Lose one, and you technically lose both.

Last edited:
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
I'm no expert but I believe DeFi is the future of banking. Governments have proven time and time again that they cannot be trusted to regulate monetary systems ethically, or morally.

DeFi may not be perfect, but it's almost certainly better than the corruption of current government-regulated banking, and that corruption would appear to be near total if even a fraction of the papama papers exposé is true.

NFT's are just trash that use the blockchain, but the fact that they exist at all proves that the blockchain has some merit. I am currently mining as it has been, and continues to be a fantastic investment, but I hope that transition to proof of stake comes sooner rather than later - it's disruptive to the GPU industry and it's bad for the environment.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Case NZXT H710
Software Windows 10 Pro
I'm no expert but I believe DeFi is the future of banking. Governments have proven time and time again that they cannot be trusted to regulate monetary systems ethically, or morally.
My question there is... who CAN be trusted to do that? Unregulated leaves everyone to fend for themselves, which is far from ideal. A tight enough system could circumvent many opportunities for exploitation, but I'm not yet convinced anybody has the scope for that yet. That is the principal point of conflict, as far as I've seen when it comes to everything blockchain in the mainstream: how to separate from corrupt financial institutions when those same institutions can move right in like anyone else... because it's unregulated.

To me, it all has to trace back to sources of corruption. If we are ever to be remotely free of these institutions, they have to be dismantled, or at least sized-down. Nothing else can take their place while they still exist. There is no safe place to just hide away in that won't just get swept-up in the way the world presently works. They just eat everything that's not like them. Alternatives are either crushed or assimilated.

Time to add AsRock to my blacklist, not like I've ever bought anything from them anyway, so they won't be missed.

are now a thing you work your ass off to get a favor from a female.
As one of those so-called 'females' you must be looking in the wrong places if you think all of us are after diamonds. Pfft, that's so out of date. I want something even rarer - a graphics card. Bring me that and I'm yours.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Time to add AsRock to my blacklist, not like I've ever bought anything from them anyway, so they won't be missed.

As one of those so-called 'females' you must be looking in the wrong places if you think all of us are after diamonds. Pfft, that's so out of date. I want something even rarer - a graphics card. Bring me that and I'm yours.
"Hey baby, check out my GT730 DDR3, it's yours if you play your cards right" /cringe.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Case NZXT H710
Software Windows 10 Pro

I wasn't gonna say it, but the 'females' thing weirds me out. For me, it's the biological connotation, as though we are in science class. I don't think I've ever described myself as 'male' outside of ticking boxes on forms. The whole association just rubs me weird. Specimens versus people. 'Man' and 'woman' are exclusively used to describe humans. It's built into the nomenclature. Whereas you wouldn't call, say... an adult female squirrel a 'woman.' You might affectionately refer to as a 'girl', much as we often do with our beloved pets. But in doing so, we are humanizing those creatures and not looking at them as necessarily different animals - we view them similarly to how we view our fellow humans and imprint our emotions onto them. There's a presumed connection that the biological terms for sex lack. It's about the social side of identity. 'Male' and 'female' are not all that men and women are. They lack a sense of subjectivity that illuminates more of what makes us people. It's about what the words evoke, in a shared social sense.

The more I think about it, the weirder it gets. Maybe it's pedantic, but I have a hard time shaking those little subtleties.

I don't wanna drift too much here, but you make a good point about life/relationship values among the youngest generations. In my account of things, there has been a huge schism, brought on by caclysms of dreamshattering changes in how things operate, and huge advances in information technology that bring us a bigger window to the world - as much more to feed our dreams as to break them. Millenials and zoomers often do not want the same things for their lives that generations before them did, because we are looking at a drastically different picture. We have the advantage of hindsight on certain things, and seeing how they went, going a different way and playing with different ways of living and operating. Personally, it's my favorite thing about us.

And I also think it's very much related to how things have gone with this particular issue. I think some people may just not like that this is how people handle things - they see their world dying and us killing it, disrupting the only thing we have going, whereas many of us have seen it as a miasma of dead ends since we were still kids, and been thinking about how we are going to make sense of it and what to do with it, what a life in it looks like. Those answers are for individuals to find and navigate. No amount of care in generalizing does it justice. It of course looks foreign to people around before the latest schisming of the last say, 20-30 years. It's a necessarily different way of thinking and operating for different parameters, none of which any of us asked for. It's intuitive to be critical from our end. And I think the truth of it is that nobody can actually touch it, people will think and do what they feel is best, based on what they can gather... and not everyone in the other camp reacts well to the changes that brings in culture. It's part of getting older, at 31 I already feel it - I kinda just hope it's a graceful process for me, and that I can keep perspective on what's up with people of different ages. The greatest power for change lies with the young. I think you miss out on big things in life if you never challenge any of the status quo - major learning experiences in who you are, what this world is about, what life is for you... it can't be overstated.

I wasn't gonna say it, but the 'females' thing weirds me out. For me, it's the biological connotation, as though we are in science class. I don't think I've ever described myself as 'male' outside of ticking boxes on forms. The whole association just rubs me weird. Specimens versus people. 'Man' and 'woman' are exclusively used to describe humans. It's built into the nomenclature. Whereas you wouldn't call, say... an adult female squirrel a 'woman.' You might affectionately refer to as a 'girl', much as we often do with our beloved pets. But in doing so, we are humanizing those creatures and not looking at them as necessarily different animals - we view them similarly to how we view our fellow humans and imprint our emotions onto them. There's a presumed connection that the biological terms for sex lack. It's about the social side of identity. 'Male' and 'female' are not all that men and women are. They lack a sense of subjectivity that illuminates more of what makes us people. It's about what the words evoke, in a shared social sense.

The more I think about it, the weirder it gets. Maybe it's pedantic, but I have a hard time shaking those little subtleties.

I don't wanna drift too much here, but you make a good point about life/relationship values among the youngest generations. In my account of things, there has been a huge schism, brought on by caclysms of dreamshattering changes in how things operate, and huge advances in information technology that bring us a bigger window to the world - as much more to feed our dreams as to break them. Millenials and zoomers often do not want the same things for their lives that generations before them did, because we are looking at a drastically different picture. We have the advantage of hindsight on certain things, and seeing how they went, going a different way and playing with different ways of living and operating. Personally, it's my favorite thing about us.

And I also think it's very much related to how things have gone with this particular issue. I think some people may just not like that this is how people handle things - they see their world dying and us killing it, disrupting the only thing we have going, whereas many of us have seen it as a miasma of dead ends since we were still kids, and been thinking about how we are going to make sense of it and what to do with it, what a life in it looks like. Those answers are for individuals to find and navigate. No amount of care in generalizing does it justice. It of course looks foreign to people around before the latest schisming of the last say, 20-30 years. It's a necessarily different way of thinking and operating for different parameters, none of which any of us asked for. It's intuitive to be critical from our end. And I think the truth of it is that nobody can actually touch it, people will think and do what they feel is best, based on what they can gather... and not everyone in the other camp reacts well to the changes that brings in culture. It's part of getting older, at 31 I already feel it - I kinda just hope it's a graceful process for me, and that I can keep perspective on what's up with people of different ages. The greatest power for change lies with the young. I think you miss out on big things in life if you never challenge any of the status quo - major learning experiences in who you are, what this world is about, what life is for you... it can't be overstated.
You sure have a way with words... ever thought about writing a book?

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Case NZXT H710
Software Windows 10 Pro
You sure have a way with words... ever thought about writing a book?
Haha, I'll take it as a compliment, given how you worded it and that you did give it a like :p

You'd think I would - it looks like I can do the volume and still write with some depth, if not without some liberal choices in grammar and framing. But I don't fully control when I can do it. A lot of it is up to how things are going with my ADHD. When I'm on, I can be quick and thorough with my words. Everything is just right there for me and it's almost automatic. But I don't get the luxury of planning around when that happens. If I have to stop and regroup too much, I just fail hard at getting anything across, or so much as keeping track of that goal. If I were to write a book, it would take a long time, just due to the need for riding waves of periods when I'm able to write at that capacity, spending downtime trying to cultivate a routine pattern that takes me back there. There's also making time for that state to do its thing. It often comes on at the worst times and interrupts my day. The whole ability is really a double-edged sword and I am making what I can of it. Who knows what I learn about in the future?

Forums are a fun outlet for it at least. Sometimes I get ideas that I keep tucked away through that. A book isn't out of the question - there are concepts that rotate in my mind, but the whittling-down I need to do kills me. :oops: I think I just haven't found my format. I appreciate that people still let me stick around here. I at least try to make it worth reading when I respond directly.

In this thread, I'm going in a little more because I don't see the harm at this point. I've been watching people here have these conversations about product after product, with me usually just saying a little bit and leaving the rest to others while I observe. This is all just what I've been observing here coming together right as I see more of the same. It's become such a stock conversation to have here that I figure maybe it's worth adding a little divergence from the usual points. Feel out the meta a bit and see what's there.

System Name "Icy Resurrection"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX ENCORE
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S upgraded with 2x NF-F12 iPPC-3000 fans and Honeywell PTM7950 TIM
Memory 32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 7600 MT/s 36-44-44-52-96 1.4V
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 500 GB WD Black SN750 SE NVMe SSD + 4 TB WD Red Plus WD40EFPX HDD
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Pichau Mancer CV500 White Edition
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Classic Intellimouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth STL-03
Software Windows 11 IoT Enterprise LTSC 24H2
Benchmark Scores I pulled a Qiqi~

Yeah... that old saying, the road to hell is paved with good intentions... I myself early on thought that crypto was a great idea and that it was all about sticking it to the man until the obvious drawbacks began to show: greed took over, and with it came the scams, the massive million-GPU operations, the environmental impact... and suddenly my little libertarian dream was beginning to suffer there... until things became so intense the first GPU shortage hit and suddenly I could no longer buy GPUs... it eased just in time for my upgrade schedule, and then an even bigger one stacked with the pandemic hit... today I am enthusiastically anti-crypto, and I usually leave it at that...

Hahahaha, I feel you. At the rate things are going, I should write "I own an RTX 3090" on my Tinder profile :kookoo: who knows, maybe I will finally start getting some attention! :oops: :roll:

so NFTs suck, as do a lot of ASRock's mobos, which are sold by marketing cheap crap with headline specs that dont match the actual implementation.

therefore the fact that this is an nft mobo suggests one of two things:

1. the mobo sucks compared to the other options from other companies
2. the mobo doesn't suck but their habit of building cheap crap mobos makes it hard to sell good ones because their name is mud

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
The issue is that those good intentions were suffused with the Silicon Valley brand of libertarian ideology, which takes the already naïve utopianism (and blindness to dynamics of power) of libertarianism and mixes in a heavy dose of privilege (both racial, geographic and socioeconomic) and an explicit denial that this privileged perspective might not be universally superior, a particularly naïve technooptimism, and a die-hard, "all progress is good progress" mode of thinking. There are massive flaws all the way down to the very philosophical core of crypto, let alone NFTs, most notably the idea that "nodoby can be trusted, thus we distribute trust naïvely while ignoring the potential that this distributed trust can be accumulated". This is a mode of thinking so full of easily exploitable loopholes that it will never, ever be functional in any real way. And the grand irony of it all is that this - as we see in the crypto and NFT world today - results is more centralization, as there are no regulatory mechanisms put into place to avoid the accumulation of power and wealth - after all, the system is built on nobody having the power to do such regulation in the first place. There is no world in which this would not be exploited, and there never will be.
I wouldn't write off a later phoenix-style ascension. It could happen. But I think right now the bad side kind of has to be bled out. This stuff is going to run a course and then the tech might lie relatively fallow. But in that period, it is my hope that maybe people can explore better uses for it, without so many distractions tugging on development of actual, beneficial usage. There is still so much possibility. That doesn't change because people abuse it. It's just another thing to figure out. I feel like anyone who considers themselves interested in any sort of digital technology should be able to see the promise in crypto and even NFTs. I don't think ideas like those ever completely die, either. There will always be people who tug on those opportunities, who see value in mere challenges and relative inaccessibility. There will always be room for those divers in tech spaces. And fortunately in this whole tech game, it is possible to re-roll back on the main board. The landscape changes so quickly sometimes that it basically becomes a new game. I personally am not writing it off yet, even if I can't support a lot of what goes on today. Tomorrow can still be better.

I actually kind of find the backlash reassuring. Some people jump right into stereotypical hate, but the sentiment I most often see is largely directed at the people using the NFTs and how they are using them. I'm glad there has been this concentrated push to address that. It is the standard that needs to be held to really move forward with the tech in the first place. If we are to have it, it cannot be used in this way, as it stymies the good it may yet be capable of. I think it is good that there are people in different societies around the world who are invested in these notions, and treat them with massively overdue importance. It is a travesty, truly. Seeing how this stuff has been used as made me more world-weary. But not so much towards the tech itself as the people who use it, and the society that places it in their hands and gives them license to abuse it and get away with it. We have to fix that up a bit, and then tech like this can flourish more. What if it is through things like this that we learn to better adapt and integrate technology? There's no guide book. We do stuff, things happen, accounts are taken, and actions are chosen. The better we get at that, the more good tech we can have, and the more we can do with it.

I kinda see this being a theme with modern tech. It clashes with societal issues more and more. Our relationship with technology as a whole has been pretty heavily corrupted by financial interests. I think this is a difficult thing for many tech-minded people to deal with. I think it's probably very alienating for a lot of people. People and politics aren't at all like traces and SMDs. But the philosophy behind the technology and how it is placed in the world clearly does at least as much to determine its ultimate success as the overall potential and efficacy does. Some people are really good with these kinds of ethics, maybe just prone to thinking more of them. Others would rather be in a basement, just tweaking and building stuff, tucked in a bubble that allows them the freedom to study and work. It takes all kinds to make it work, even if all sides might not agree. I don't think they're supposed to. "Hegelian dialectics" comes to mind. Mind you, I can't put any substantial truth to that, but I think it is possible that a synthesis can emerge from this whole situation in due time. I'm taking it as a societal-level learning experience.

I look at this in long-long game terms. One day, I'll be dead, but the world will keep turning, and it'll matter to people there then. I'm as hungry for change as anyone, but patience and ideals go hand in hand. Lose one, and you technically lose both.
I like your reflections on this, though as I said above I have zero belief in crypto or NFTs coming back in some beneficial way. The evangelists have had more than a decade to demonstrate an actually useful implementation of this tech that isn't already performed better by existing mechanisms, or that couldn't be implemented in less actively harmful ways. I think you're right about the role of different approaches in developing tech, and I agree that we overall benefit from having a diversity of motivations and interests in what gets developed and how. But we're seeing the real-world global scale consequences of unchecked capitalism play out in real time through boths societal and environmental harms, and it's clear to me that the approach of "let's just throw everything at the wall and see what sticks" of innovation when combined with profit-first neoliberal capitalism is just not sustainable in any way, shape or form. If anything, this is an argument for closer ties between the people you mention - the ethically minded ones and the tinkerers, as they can benefit from exchanging views and knowledge and provide perspective that they can't get from themselves.

Put it this way: if the bubble that allows you the freedom to study and work is so insular that it lets you ignore the real-world consequences of your actions, and is large enough that those consequences are massively global in scale, then that bubble needs popping. Nobody is owed the privilege of being insulated from the world in that way, and humanity does not need nor benefit from this thoughtless sprint forward, where innovation at any cost is seen as a good. We need to slow down, and start thinking more. If that means that these bubbled-up people will be less free to study and work? Honestly, that's not even a blip on the overall cost-benefit analysis of this. Slightly checking the privilege of a group of massively privileged people running the world into the ground because "we're not doing any harm, we're just innovating" is a benefit, not a loss.

DeFi may not be perfect, but it's almost certainly better than the corruption of current government-regulated banking, and that corruption would appear to be near total if even a fraction of the papama papers exposé is true.
But ... do you think the people causing said governmental corruption would somehow not corrupt a system that entirely lacks regulatory mechanisms? The net result of things being decentralized in the way crypto is, is that whoever has the means to exert power can do so however they like, and they are free to work towards accumulating more wealth and power as no mechanisms exist to resist this.

I mean, crypto today is massively centralized. A handful of privately held exchanges control the vast majority of all transactions. Most blockchains are maintained by a handful of nodes, the owners of which are not accountable to anyone whatsoever. Heck, the history of cryptocurrencies forking due to bad actors gaming this system is conclusive evidence that such a system does not work.
NFT's are just trash that use the blockchain, but the fact that they exist at all proves that the blockchain has some merit.
How so? I'd really like to hear you expand on that thought.
I am currently mining as it has been, and continues to be a fantastic investment, but I hope that transition to proof of stake comes sooner rather than later - it's disruptive to the GPU industry and it's bad for the environment.
The issue with this - and with proof of stake in general - is that this just entrenches the power of the wealthy few who can afford to be staked in a PoS cryptocurrency, which of course entirely undermines any semblance of this being a liberating technology. Not that it ever has been, but if the groundbreaking technology that is supposed to liberate people will only liberate people who can afford to stow away $100000+ somewhere and not care too much if they lose it? Yeah, sorry, that's not liberating, that is just another mechanism for the wealthy and powerful to entrench their power and wealth.

Ugh, I throw up in my mouth a bit every time I see someone use that term in that way. Just ... no. I mean, it's explicit incel(-adjacent) rhetoric aimed purely at dehumanization and alienation - and for that purpose, it unfortunately works really well, as you can typically tell that the people using the words in that way are really not thinking of the group of people they're describing as humans at all. It's this fascinating pastiche of the nonsensical "we're rational and scientifically minded" attitude often expressed in the manosphere with an attempt at analyzing society, which ... well, that's rather hard to do when you refuse to engage with society as consisting of people. Of course this is likely at least in part a hackneyed response to feminist discourse around gender as societally determined and performative - they really want it all to be purely biological - but one that doesn't actually refer to actual biology, but rather mythological, pseudoscientific ideas based on refuted/retracted science (that wolf-pack "alpha" and "beta" thing, among others). And of course it actively comes into conflict with the massive and growing evidence of sex and gender complexity and even social determination of "gender" in animals. But that's going off on a bit of a tangent.

I don't think it's pedantic at all - rather, criticizing this as pedantic is one of the main ways this type of harmful rhetoric gets disseminated, as it's an easy bad-faith attack that shuts down debate. The words we use have a massive effect on how we think about the world we live in, which in turn shapes how we relate to and operate within that world. Heck, do that for long enough and it even shapes the neural pathways of your brain. This type of "pedantry" is of massive importance, as is the only way to combat the entrance of dehumanizing and harmful words into everyday discourse. And there are plenty of historical examples that demonstrate that once a population starts talking about another group as not or less than human, violence and attempts at subjugation or eradication follow close behind.

Last edited:
The issue is that those good intentions were suffused with the Silicon Valley brand of libertarian ideology, which takes the already naïve utopianism (and blindness to dynamics of power) of libertarianism and mixes in a heavy dose of privilege (both racial, geographic and socioeconomic) and an explicit denial that this privileged perspective might not be universally superior, a particularly naïve technooptimism, and a die-hard, "all progress is good progress" mode of thinking. There are massive flaws all the way down to the very philosophical core of crypto, let alone NFTs, most notably the idea that "nodoby can be trusted, thus we distribute trust naïvely while ignoring the potential that this distributed trust can be accumulated". This is a mode of thinking so full of easily exploitable loopholes that it will never, ever be functional in any real way. And the grand irony of it all is that this - as we see in the crypto and NFT world today - results is more centralization, as there are no regulatory mechanisms put into place to avoid the accumulation of power and wealth - after all, the system is built on nobody having the power to do such regulation in the first place. There is no world in which this would not be exploited, and there never will be.

I like your reflections on this, though as I said above I have zero belief in crypto or NFTs coming back in some beneficial way. The evangelists have had more than a decade to demonstrate an actually useful implementation of this tech that isn't already performed better by existing mechanisms, or that couldn't be implemented in less actively harmful ways. I think you're right about the role of different approaches in developing tech, and I agree that we overall benefit from having a diversity of motivations and interests in what gets developed and how. But we're seeing the real-world global scale consequences of unchecked capitalism play out in real time through boths societal and environmental harms, and it's clear to me that the approach of "let's just throw everything at the wall and see what sticks" of innovation when combined with profit-first neoliberal capitalism is just not sustainable in any way, shape or form. If anything, this is an argument for closer ties between the people you mention - the ethically minded ones and the tinkerers, as they can benefit from exchanging views and knowledge and provide perspective that they can't get from themselves.

Put it this way: if the bubble that allows you the freedom to study and work is so insular that it lets you ignore the real-world consequences of your actions, and is large enough that those consequences are massively global in scale, then that bubble needs popping. Nobody is owed the privilege of being insulated from the world in that way, and humanity does not need nor benefit from this thoughtless sprint forward, where innovation at any cost is seen as a good. We need to slow down, and start thinking more. If that means that these bubbled-up people will be less free to study and work? Honestly, that's not even a blip on the overall cost-benefit analysis of this. Slightly checking the privilege of a group of massively privileged people running the people into the ground because "we're not doing any harm, we're just innovating" is a benefit, not a loss.

But ... do you think the people causing said governmental corruption would somehow not corrupt a system that entirely lacks regulatory mechanisms? The net result of things being decentralized in the way crypto is, is that whoever has the means to exert power can do so however they like, and they are free to work towards accumulating more wealth and power as no mechanisms exist to resist this.

I mean, crypto today is massively centralized. A handful of privately held exchanges control the vast majority of all transactions. Most blockchains are maintained by a handful of nodes, the owners of which are not accountable to anyone whatsoever. Heck, the history of cryptocurrencies forking due to bad actors gaming this system is conclusive evidence that such a system does not work.

How so? I'd really like to hear you expand on that thought.

The issue with this - and with proof of stake in general - is that this just entrenches the power of the wealthy few who can afford to be staked in a PoS cryptocurrency, which of course entirely undermines any semblance of this being a liberating technology. Not that it ever has been, but if the groundbreaking technology that is supposed to liberate people will only liberate people who can afford to stow away $100000+ somewhere and not care too much if they lose it? Yeah, sorry, that's not liberating, that is just another mechanism for the wealthy and powerful to entrench their power and wealth.

Ugh, I throw up in my mouth a bit every time I see someone use that term in that way. Just ... no. I mean, it's explicit incel(-adjacent) rhetoric aimed purely at dehumanization and alienation - and for that purpose, it unfortunately works really well, as you can typically tell that the people using the words in that way are really not thinking of the group of people they're describing as humans at all. It's this fascinating pastiche of the nonsensical "we're rational and scientifically minded" attitude often expressed in the manosphere with an attempt at analyzing society, which ... well, that's rather hard to do when you refuse to engage with society as consisting of people. Of course this is likely at least in part a hackneyed response to feminist discourse around gender as societally determined and performative - they really want it all to be purely biological - but one that doesn't actually refer to actual biology, but rather mythological, pseudoscientific ideas based on refuted/retracted science (that wolf-pack "alpha" and "beta" thing, among others). And of course it actively comes into conflict with the massive and growing evidence of sexual and gender complexity and even social determination of "gender" in animals. But that's going off on a bit of a tangent.

I don't think it's pedantic at all - rather, criticizing this as pedantic is one of the main ways this type of harmful rhetoric gets disseminated, as it's an easy bad-faith attack that shuts down debate. The words we use have a massive effect on how we think about the world we live in, which in turn shapes how we relate to and operate within that world. Heck, do that for long enough and it even shapes the neural pathways of your brain. This type of "pedantry" is of massive importance, as is the only way to combat the entrance of dehumanizing and harmful words into everyday discourse. And there are plenty of historical examples that demonstrate that once a population starts talking about another group as not or less than human, violence and attempts at subjugation or eradication follow close behind.
I wish I could do more than just react with a like, this is one hell of a quality comment

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
I want something even rarer - a graphics card. Bring me that and I'm yours.
Advise to all the thirsty boys in this thread: a Chinesium Ebay GTX 450 flashed to a fake 1050 is probably not gonna do the trick.

Hahahaha, I feel you. At the rate things are going, I should write "I own an RTX 3090" on my Tinder profile :kookoo: who knows, maybe I will finally start getting some attention! :oops: :roll:

'Man' and 'woman' are exclusively used to describe humans.
ARE YOU ASSUMING @Cutechri 'S SPECIES? REEEEEEE

System Name Nebulon B
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
I understand how this benefits AsRock. The community designs the motherboard which then AsRock sells for significant money. I just don't understand how this benefits anyone else.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Case NZXT H710
Software Windows 10 Pro
Advise to all the thirsty boys in this thread: a Chinesium Ebay GTX 450 flashed to a fake 1050 is probably not gonna do the trick.
Never have I felt so inadequate as an RTX 2060 owner. I guess I'm nothing but an aging entry-level guy under this new paradigm. I just don't understand dating anymore. When I was in my 20's, it was enough if you could make her old, inherited family machine run WoW well enough to raid without getting lagchecked into failure and cursed off of the server by everyone for eternity. Simpler times, when all you needed to get the damsel was the ability to strip back a windows installation and configure graphical settings. You would give her that world, and in exchange for this selfless gift of digital life, you would have her heart. Such was the standard courting procedure.

ARE YOU ASSUMING @Cutechri 'S SPECIES? REEEEEEE
Noooooo! I have no quarrels with the furry races. The one thing that no grown adult normie will ever admit, is how much they intuitively know that running around in a decked out animal get up is pretty much guaranteed to be super-fun. I know there's more to it than that, but for that alone, I can't really judge. They are probably having more fun than me on an average day. I just end up being a miser by knocking it. Not like I'm making moves like that for myself. The most fun I've had recently is sitting on my back porch getting (legally!) stoned to the new Leprous album. Lyrically that thing is just pure despair and helplessness, the man has the voice of an angel, and the heart of an innocent little boy, broken 1000x over by every possible human tragedy. It's about like, existential entrapment and loss. That's MY life. I work and I chill. Sometimes I do a hobby or see a friend, to learn even more about their sad, boring lives. It's all: somebody is sick, somebody has died, money is tight, I bought a car - let me tell you every feature, I hate my job but I want to dance around admitting it when I vent to you so that it goes nowhere, a service worker made me mad last week, news is saying the world is a flaming garbage ball (you hear about that thing out there with the...?) Great stuff like that. At least furries party! If anything, I'm a little jealous of the freedom and levels of not caring about things they enjoy in those suits and outfits. I get with that, 100%. Sounds good about now.

Put it this way: if the bubble that allows you the freedom to study and work is so insular that it lets you ignore the real-world consequences of your actions, and is large enough that those consequences are massively global in scale, then that bubble needs popping. Nobody is owed the privilege of being insulated from the world in that way, and humanity does not need nor benefit from this thoughtless sprint forward, where innovation at any cost is seen as a good. We need to slow down, and start thinking more. If that means that these bubbled-up people will be less free to study and work? Honestly, that's not even a blip on the overall cost-benefit analysis of this. Slightly checking the privilege of a group of massively privileged people running the world into the ground because "we're not doing any harm, we're just innovating" is a benefit, not a loss.
I won't pretend like there's not a major component of wishful thinking. I was considering the reality that present-day perspectives are limited, in fact by the very forces you describe. The sentiment I was going for was that it is still fair play to hold out for changes to those forces. I think certain mindsets have to die before similar ideas could be attempted reasonably. I'm talking, like after present-day principles have become more obscure. I don't even know how that could happen in our lifetime. I don't think the sentiment or the dream for the technology was bad. But the stage couldn't have been better rigged to bring the whole thing down. The best involved were blindly idealistic, if not also very smart and ambitious. There was so much hope in libertarian ideals online. But no matter how many times you try the routine on that neoliberal stage, it doesn't work. In that context, the freedom is a curse. It's unleashing the sharks upon the minnows. The minnows are simply free to be eaten. And then they tell the minnows to be sharks, that it's the most sensible way, and that the only way to become one is to swim where the sharks swim...

I love your point about the ethically-minded and the tinkerers. I agree, that is what is ultimately needed and where I think things often fall short. You have the people focused on the tech, and they have to trust and work with people who have the money that makes the tech happen when it comes to the ethical side. Why having that money somehow designates you as the ethical arbiter is beyond me. The default state of that exchange is corruption. Within tech-minded spheres are those ethical thinkers, who's hands are tied and voices silenced by entities that can just pull your budget the moment what you're doing doesn't suit their cash flow plans. I think there exists a willingness from both parties in the tech world to come together, but there is yet another with wholly conflicting interests that screws it all up...

I didn't mean to imply that tinkerers should be free to try stuff in a way where they are absolved of recourse for damage. That would be the grossly negligent facebook mindset of "Move fast and break things." I'm talking more about a very long drift to the wayside, where someone could pick it up and play with it in ways that are really and truly inconsequential and without real impact, just sandboxing ideas. I'm not thinking of a 'doer' necessarily, but an explorer. To me, a tinkerer or a hacker is someone who explores possibilities with devices and systems. In the absolute barest sense, they don't care about monetary or political goals and put themselves and everything they do as far away from that as possible... the type of person who may not even WANT to share their findings with anyone but the right person and might just let it die with them otherwise. SOMEBODY definitely has to link-up with them, but it has to be the right people making up the other side of that.

It really boils down to this, for me. I recognize that every so often a person looks at something that once went wrong and finds the idea that should've been the one all along, with the advantage of different circumstances and knowledge to inform a different process and sought usage. There's no way for me to describe that in a concrete way. The ideas are there in the nexus now. What form they take, and really, how much of the original ideas remain over time, is hard to say. It really feels like a lot could happen right at this point in history. When it comes to crypto, some things do have to change fundamentally. And the original idea was probably never going to be feasible. But the next idea from the next idea from that may become something more grounded and realistic, provided some other things also change between then and now. I just don't think it's possible while people can still see and grab so much money from it all. I do not want to come off like I think some booming revival is coming anytime soon, or that things will cataclysmically deviate from how they are now. I definitely do not see THAT. I see crypto as the wrong dream, for the right things.

Ugh, I throw up in my mouth a bit every time I see someone use that term in that way. Just ... no. I mean, it's explicit incel(-adjacent) rhetoric aimed purely at dehumanization and alienation - and for that purpose, it unfortunately works really well, as you can typically tell that the people using the words in that way are really not thinking of the group of people they're describing as humans at all. It's this fascinating pastiche of the nonsensical "we're rational and scientifically minded" attitude often expressed in the manosphere with an attempt at analyzing society, which ... well, that's rather hard to do when you refuse to engage with society as consisting of people. Of course this is likely at least in part a hackneyed response to feminist discourse around gender as societally determined and performative - they really want it all to be purely biological - but one that doesn't actually refer to actual biology, but rather mythological, pseudoscientific ideas based on refuted/retracted science (that wolf-pack "alpha" and "beta" thing, among others). And of course it actively comes into conflict with the massive and growing evidence of sex and gender complexity and even social determination of "gender" in animals. But that's going off on a bit of a tangent.

I'll admit, I've never delved much into that side of the internet. I don't really have the constitution for those levels of negativity and childish attitudes. What I've seen in youtube comments is enough for me to call it bad juju and stay away. I will become very mean, and I think those people are really down and out, if not with a lot of gross tendencies. It's too simultaneously sad and angering for me and I don't navigate it well.

I appreciate the clarification, though. That does put what I was feeling into full view. I'm with you on all of these observations. I try to choose my words so as to avoid spreading certain implications. Because I have seen how jokes just stop becoming jokes, how adopting language in certain ways changes portrayed emotional responsiveness to things. I use it to check my own attitude from time to time. Changing the terms you compile thoughts in changes the thoughts themselves over time. Gotta be part of why propaganda focuses so much on terminology. I can't believe how well it works sometimes, when I see it in myself.

I will say, on here, I often word things so as to avoid sowing too much division of politics and philosophy. It's easy to cross the line keeping it a little too real and from then on just losing the whole plot. I don't think it's a matter of saying what you mean being wrong. It's just that the outcome isn't necessarily as productive as I would want. I prefer to stay on a level where different people can still read/participate/be comfortable. The culture here isn't one that carries the heavy, heavy stuff well. FWIW, I still don't feel I have the approach down at all, and what I mean to convey just goes unseen, or worse, flipped over.

I also am not coming at everything with full confidence right now. These past 5 or so years have brought me a lot to reflect on, and my worldview has changed radically over that time. I am still sorting a lot out, myself. Just doin it live. I don't want to say anything I can't take responsibility for. I may over-correct sometimes. I have these weird little tics with conscientiousness to the point of impracticality, just being around a lot of uptight people as a kid.

Last edited:
System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
My favorite part about NFTs is if someone drops an image in your wallet, like Cheese Pizza, you cant delete it, you can only hide it or send it somewhere. Super secure!
Easy way to avoid an entire brand, thanks.
I thought that asrock's repeated failure of low end motherboard designs and them going after reviewers would do it for you.