• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Announces Preliminary Financial Results for Second Quarter Fiscal 2023, Gaming $$ Down 44%

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
NVIDIA (NASDAQ: NVDA) today announced selected preliminary financial results for the second quarter ended July 31, 2022. Second quarter revenue is expected to be approximately $6.70 billion, down 19% sequentially and up 3% from the prior year, primarily reflecting weaker than forecasted Gaming revenue. Gaming revenue was $2.04 billion, down 44% sequentially and down 33% from the prior year. Data Center revenue was $3.81 billion, up 1% sequentially and up 61% from the prior year.

The shortfall relative to the May revenue outlook of $8.10 billion was primarily attributable to lower sell-in of Gaming products reflecting a reduction in channel partner sales likely due to macroeconomic headwinds. In addition to reducing sell-in, the company implemented pricing programs with channel partners to reflect challenging market conditions that are expected to persist into the third quarter.

Data Center revenue, though a record, was somewhat short of the company's expectations, as it was impacted by supply chain disruptions. Second quarter results are expected to include approximately $1.32 billion of charges, primarily for inventory and related reserves, based on revised expectations of future demand.

"Our gaming product sell-through projections declined significantly as the quarter progressed," said Jensen Huang, founder and CEO of NVIDIA. "As we expect the macroeconomic conditions affecting sell-through to continue, we took actions with our Gaming partners to adjust channel prices and inventory.

"NVIDIA has excellent products and position driving large and growing markets. As we navigate these challenges, we remain focused on the once-in-a-generation opportunity to reinvent computing for the era of AI," he said.

"The significant charges incurred in the quarter reflect previous long-term purchase commitments we made during a time of severe component shortages and our current expectation of ongoing macroeconomic uncertainty," said Colette Kress, EVP and CFO of NVIDIA.

"We believe our long-term gross margin profile is intact. We have slowed operating expense growth, balancing investments for long-term growth while managing near-term profitability. We plan to continue stock buybacks as we foresee strong cash generation and future growth," she said.

The preliminary results for the second quarter ended July 31, 2022, are an estimate, based on information available to management as of the date of this release, and are subject to further changes upon completion of the company's standard quarter and year-end closing procedures. This update does not present all necessary information for an understanding of NVIDIA's financial condition as of the date of this release, or its results of operations for the second quarter. As NVIDIA completes its quarter-end financial close process and finalizes its financial statements for the quarter, it will be required to make significant judgments in a number of areas. It is possible that NVIDIA may identify items that require it to make adjustments to the preliminary financial information set forth above and those changes could be material. NVIDIA does not intend to update such financial information prior to release of its final second quarter financial statement information, which is currently scheduled for Aug. 24, 2022.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor 6700K
Motherboard M8G
Cooling D15S
Memory 16GB 3k15
Video Card(s) 2070S
Storage 850 Pro
Display(s) U2410
Case Core X2
Audio Device(s) ALC1150
Power Supply Seasonic
Mouse Razer
Keyboard Logitech
Software 21H2
Crypto party is over, eh?

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple proprietary M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple proprietary M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary onboard 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Sonoma 14.5 (with latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12 Pro. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
The big takeaway here is Gaming's decline as a revenue contributor. Last quarter, Data Center just nosed out Gaming in revenue and the other categories made the remaining 10-12% of company revenue.

This quarter, Data Center blows by Gaming to take a commanding lead as the business unit generating the most revenue for NVIDIA.

Not only is the crypto party is over but also GPU sales to system builders and their AIB partners for the DIY graphics card market has also shown a big decline. We know that the entire PC market is down on unit sales and we're witnessing AIB graphics card price drops at retail and expanded product availability.

If you are a swing trader, a strong consideration is picking up some shares of NVDA today which is currently -6% or so.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 177333

I feel like more and more people just aren't paying the prices being asked due to how insanely high they've been. I know I used to order a pair of new GPUs pretty much every cycle release and the last couple releases I've been making use of the second hand market and will continue to do so moving forward until prices move back down to reality.

System Name TheDeeGee's PC
Processor Intel Core i7-11700
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Steel Legend
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3200/C16 32GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti 12GB
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 4TB
Display(s) EIZO CX240
Case Lian-Li O11 Dynamic Evo XL
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZxR / AKG K601 Headphones
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Fanless TX-700
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Keychron Q6
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores None, as long as my games runs smooth.
As usual blaming gamers again ^^

Case Apple proprietary
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12 Pro. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
I feel like more and more people just aren't paying the prices being asked due to how insanely high they've been. I know I used to order a pair of new GPUs pretty much every cycle release and the last couple releases I've been making use of the second hand market and will continue to do so moving forward until prices move back down to reality.
You can forget about graphics cards at pre-2019 prices. Inflation is making that a non-starter as well as other COVID-19 related supply chain issues (like container shipping costs going up 5-6x in the past two years).

And you know NVIDIA and AMD aren't going to hack off huge chunks of gross margin.

You're going to buying used cards for years.

D

Deleted member 177333

You can forget about graphics cards at pre-2019 prices. Inflation is making that a non-starter as well as other COVID-19 related supply chain issues (like container shipping costs going up 5-6x in the past two years).

And you know NVIDIA and AMD aren't going to hack off huge chunks of gross margin.

You're going to buying used cards for years.

And I am totally cool with that. Happy to just buy 2nd and even 3rd hand if I have to. Not paying the ridiculous prices they are asking and I suspect many are in the same boat with me given the #s here.

Nvidia made more than double the data center revenue than AMD ($3.81B v. $1.49B but only slightly higher gaming revenue ($2.0B vs $1.66B). Is this some kind of bizarro world?

Nvidia made more than double the data center revenue than AMD ($3.81B v. $1.49B but only slightly higher gaming revenue ($2.0B vs $1.66B). Is this some kind of bizarro world?
NVIDIA bought AMD Epyc systems with ram and SSD and then packages with their own card and sells for high prices.

System Name Main
Processor 8700K
Motherboard Maximus Hero X
Cooling EVGA 280 CLC w/ Noctua silent fans
Memory 2x8GB 3600/16
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080TI Hybrid
I'm not (too) surprised, both AMD and Nvidia were selling every single card they could manufacture in the last 2 years so apparently Nvidia wasn't able to procure that many more chips than AMD in that time.

Case Apple proprietary
No, NVIDIA has better machine learning technology than AMD for deep learning operations.

NVIDIA also has the BlueField DPU, derived from technologies acquired from Mellanox back in 2019. They are working on a datacenter CPU codenamed Grace for anticipated release in 2023.

Remember that NVIDIA is much more than GeForce.

No, NVIDIA has better machine learning technology than AMD for deep learning operations.

NVIDIA also has the BlueField DPU, derived from technologies acquired from Mellanox back in 2019. They are working on a datacenter CPU codenamed Grace for anticipated release in 2023.

Remember that NVIDIA is much more than GeForce.
I was half heartingly joking at the irony that a CPU company is making headway in games and a GPU company is making headway in data center. Big change from ten years ago.

I wonder if Nvidia selling RTX cards directly to large mining operations is now considered "data center" revenue.
I like the way you think. That’s called creative accounting. Lol!

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Îťoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, ONLY NVMes/ NVMes, SATA Storage / NVMe boot(Clover), SATA storage
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / CoolerMaster Elite 361 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / CoolerMaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / CoolerMaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10&Windows 11 / Windows 10
1659972571209.png

Nvidia is a one foot giant. It will cost them that they couldn't buy ARM. And that's good, because now they will have to focus back to the gamer. Not the gamer's pocket, but the gamer. They'll have to win the gamer again. Until now I was thinking that Nvidia will start 4070 at $800 and 4080 at $1000 if not more. Now there is a chance they'll play nicely.

I'm not (too) surprised, both AMD and Nvidia were selling every single card they could manufacture in the last 2 years so apparently Nvidia wasn't able to procure that many more chips than AMD in that time.

It's because AMD gaming revenue includes GPUs + console chips. They are no where near Nvidia in discrete graphics sales.

It's because AMD gaming revenue includes GPUs + console chips. They are no where near Nvidia in discrete graphics sales.
Lucky for Nvidia every $1 earned on discrete GPUs have higher value than every $1 earned on console chips. Oh wait…

Case Apple proprietary
Nvidia supplies the Tegra SoC to Nintendo for the Switch gaming console. Guess which videogame console dwarfs the others in hardware unit sales?

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair MP600 Pro LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
Compared to pre-covid those are Record Profits though.

Lucky for Nvidia every $1 earned on discrete GPUs have higher value than every $1 earned on console chips. Oh wait…

Considering 11% margin AMD makes on gaming, it kinda does.

Nvidia supplies the Tegra SoC to Nintendo for the Switch gaming console. Guess which videogame console dwarfs the others in hardware unit sales?

Tegra does not fall under gaming revenue, though. Tegra => OEM.

Case Apple proprietary
Tegra does not fall under gaming revenue, though. Tegra => OEM.
Interesting. Now I'm wondering if Nvidia puts Shield revenue under OEM/Other. Not that Shield unit sales are significant, just wondering which business unit they are shoving this revenue under.

That makes more sense why Nvidia and AMD's gaming revenues are similar. AMD is making up their lesser PC GPU sales with console APU sales. Nvidia on the other hand is all PC GPU sales regardless whether its OEM/system builder, DIY, or crypto under its Gaming business unit.

I know Nvidia has a separate Professional Visualization business unit for other GPU sales.

System Name Jedi Survivor Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus TUF B650M Plus Wifi
Cooling ThermalRight CPU Cooler
Memory G.Skill 32GB DDR5-5600 CL28
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 10GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 990 Pro SSD
Display(s) MSI 32" 4K OLED 240hz Monitor
Case Asus Prime AP201
Power Supply FSP 1000W Platinum PSU
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Asus Mechanical Keyboard
First of all the Switch SoC is almost a 10 year old cellphone chip basically, nVidia is not making money there selling them for a few dollars each. Secondly you seemingly missed that AMD on average profits more than 2 to 1 because of volume and higher pricing. That's because Sony AND Microsoft use AMD, both. The home console market is much larger than the portable market (Sony and Microsoft usually sell twice as much as Nintendo before the shortage of PS5s etc). Even now, 450,000 home consoles sold every week versus 300,000 portables. And there is tons of supply that is on the shelves unsold for Nintendo and sales are dropping fast, meanwhile console sales are supply limited.

Your take is the opposite of reality.

I wonder if Nvidia selling RTX cards directly to large mining operations is now considered "data center" revenue.

We'll know in about 2 to 3 years when another investor lawsuit about it gets settled :D

Actually the PS5 has been gaining a lot of ground and in the past year the sales are not that far off (which means when summed with xbox sales AMD dwarfs nvidia in console sales)

1659979829120.png

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
It places an understandable, and different perspective on the supposed popularity of RTX.

Not that popular apparently, given the fact its competitor can push almost as much product without real RT capability. In a way, that includes the consoles too, because they carry PC gaming's product portfolio, and especially would carry one spiced up with RT. Its clear the PC doesn't, on its own.

Goes to show its actually really all about the games, and whatever cards can run them proper.

In terms of the AMD-Nvidia war this is quite a substantial thing. AMD is clawing back share without a feature lead - that's remarkable and not seen before, if I recall correctly.

First of all the Switch SoC is almost a 10 year old cellphone chip basically, nVidia is not making money there selling them for a few dollars each. Secondly you seemingly missed that AMD on average profits more than 2 to 1 because of volume and higher pricing. That's because Sony AND Microsoft use AMD, both. The home console market is much larger than the portable market (Sony and Microsoft usually sell twice as much as Nintendo before the shortage of PS5s etc). Even now, 450,000 home consoles sold every week versus 300,000 portables. And there is tons of supply that is on the shelves unsold for Nintendo and sales are dropping fast, meanwhile console sales are supply limited.

Your take is the opposite of reality.

I wounldn't put the situation as dire as you describe for Nintendo, they're still shipping a hole of a lot more consoles now than they were in the 2 years after launch. It's kind of crazy if you ask me, like you said, it's a very old SOC that wasn't that powerfull when it launched let alone now, but it's still somehow moving a ton of units :confused: