• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X Cooling Requirements & Thermal Throttling

System Name Jedi Survivor Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus TUF B650M Plus Wifi
Cooling ThermalRight CPU Cooler
Memory G.Skill 32GB DDR5-5600 CL28
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 10GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 990 Pro SSD
Display(s) MSI 32" 4K OLED 240hz Monitor
Case Asus Prime AP201
Power Supply FSP 1000W Platinum PSU
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Asus Mechanical Keyboard
Heat output is not related to temperature. No his comment was not sarcasm. Ignorance here is astounding, even after it has been carefully explained and an entire article written about it. Your 90 degree CPU in your iPhone is not generating much heat, 3W usually.

Sure the exact same CPU will produce more heat overall with a higher performance and voltage target, but again, nothing to do with temperature. Think about it this way, if you run your fan at 1000rpm and hit 95 degrees, and you run it at 2000rpm and hit 65 degrees, does it affect the heat generated or the performance? No. Same wattage, same performance without throttling. Same for Intel. Nothing new here.

The only thing that matters is "does THIS CPU throttle performance significantly when it reaches high temperatures" and the answer is conclusively, no.

It seems a lot of people actually think lower temperatures are higher performance or less heat. All those people with $300 coolers and they get the same performance and the same amount of heat comes out of their cases, but they don't know that. This has always been the case. Nothing has changed. The only point was to avoid throttling.

Last edited:

Outback Bronze

Staff member
System Name Raptor Baked
Processor 14900k w.c.
Motherboard Z790 Hero
Cooling w.c.
Memory 32GB Hynix
Video Card(s) Zotac 4080 w.c.
Storage 2TB Kingston kc3k
Display(s) Gigabyte 34" Curved
Case Corsair 460X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PCIe5 850w
Mouse Asus
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Cool n Quiet.
So 95°C is the new 65°C.

Does this mean that not too far in the distant future that 125°C will be the new 95°C?

I remember when AMD's R9 290X would run @ 95°C with no problems and everybody said it running too hot. This was almost 10 years ago.

System Name Dumbass
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
@W1zzard Thanks for the this article.

Having a Artic LF2 myself, I can say the hardest part will be installing it, IF, it fits in your case.

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
Once you enable overclocking mode, the 95°C temperature target gets disabled and the CPU may run at up to 105°C, and only above that it will turn off automatically to protect itself
Ugh, that doesn't sound good. So the ability to throttle has been taken away completely?

System Name Personal Gaming Rig
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E Carbon
Cooling MO-RA 3 420
Memory 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 ICHILL FROSTBITE ULTRA
Storage 4x 2TB Nvme
Display(s) Samsung G8 OLED
Case Silverstone FT04
Nice article

It will be hard to set up a temperature-regulated fan if the temperature tends to be near the maximum even with a 1T load (frequency dropping by 7% when Wraith is at 20% is an indication of that).
This is a good point. If the cpu is regulating its clocks to stay at 95, how should one program a sensible fan curve to ramp up cooling based on need?

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Software Oldwin
Heat output is not related to temperature. No his comment was not sarcasm. Ignorance here is astounding, even after it has been carefully explained and an entire article written about it. Your 90 degree CPU in your iPhone is not generating much heat, 3W usually.

Sure the exact same CPU will produce more heat overall with a higher performance and voltage target, but again, nothing to do with temperature. Think about it this way, if you run your fan at 1000rpm and hit 95 degrees, and you run it at 2000rpm and hit 65 degrees, does it affect the heat generated or the performance? No. Same wattage, same performance without throttling. Same for Intel. Nothing new here.

The only thing that matters is "does THIS CPU throttle performance significantly when it reaches high temperatures" and the answer is conclusively, no.

It seems a lot of people actually think lower temperatures are higher performance or less heat. LMAO. All those people with $300 coolers and they get the same performance and the same amount of heat comes out of their cases, but they don't know that. This has always been the case. Nothing has changed. The only point was to avoid throttling.
Given constant convection cooling, the way it was done in this test, the temperature difference (silicon minus ambient) is in linear proportion to the heat output.

What's absent in Zen 4 is hard throttling, which older CPUs use to protect themselves from thermal destruction. When the CPU reached that state, the performance didn't matter any more. Instead, we're getting soft, intelligent throttling now, and it can as well be called power regulation, which is something that the CPU (and its user) can bear in the long term.

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 5800X3D
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 6600 8 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS
@W1zzard : any chance you can add your usual power usage and efficiency numbers' charts to this review?

System Name Desktop
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MAG X570S Torpedo Max
Cooling Corsair H100x
Memory 64GB Corsair CMT64GX4M2C3600C18 @ 3600MHz / 18-19-19-39-1T
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB + Kingston KC3000 2TB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
Display(s) 32" Dell G3223Q (2160p @ 144Hz)
Case Fractal Meshify 2 Compact
Audio Device(s) ifi Audio ZEN DAC V2 + Focal Radiance / HyperX Solocast
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 1000W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Razer Huntsman V2 Optical (Linear Red)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
I've got a 240mm AIO on my 5800X3D at it usually sits at 80c while gaming. The 7950X appears to be within the same ballpark, so doesn't concern me too much

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple proprietary M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple proprietary M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary onboard 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Sonoma 14.5 (with latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12 Pro. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
Awesome testing, thank you. As you said, the main issue is psychological, people for years have associated 95C with badness, and many people incorrectly equate temperature with heat flow (95C temps will heat up my house/room/case, etc).

I think a lot of those people have limited experiences.

My Mac mini 2018 (Intel Core i7) will peak at 100 °C during full CPU loads like a Handbrake encode. It's designed to run that way. On such a workload it will peak at 4.2? GHz at the start, then settle down to a lower frequency to maintain a temperature between 95 °C and 100 °C.

I have a Windows notebook PC that manages the CPU similarly. Peak frequency will be attained quickly and then tail off as frequencies are reduced to stay below a given limit. But I owned Mac notebooks for 18 years and they performed similarly whether it was a PowerPC or Intel CPU inside.

As for the heat output topic I can only shrug. Some people here still can't wrap their heads around the topic. Maybe they should head into the kitchen for 10-20 years and pay attention. There they might be able learn some practical concepts about heat output if they are paying attention and observing.

Last edited:
Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Software Oldwin
This is a good point. If the cpu is regulating its clocks to stay at 95, how should one program a sensible fan curve to ramp up cooling based on need?
There are other consequences I can think of. Everything that used to have an effect on temperature of silicon will have an effect on performance instead: room temperature, case cooling, application and quality of thermal paste, variations in packaging quality (TIM thickness? IHS flatness?), and so on.

Also, are the (many) temperature sensors on the chip accurate? In many CPUs and other chips that contain sensors, they aren't.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
However you like.

As stated a spire at 20% is fine.

Silent too, though performance suffers but your better off with something decent.

Great article W1zzard.

@Wirko temperature sensors are not accurate at LOW values but fine at high.

System Name Nebulon B
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Very nice test, thanks a lot for doing it. :respect:

Hopefully, this will dispel some doubts of air coolers being enough for Zen 4.

Old CPUs ran at a constant clock speed and your temperature varied by your cooler choice. You could overclock them manually if you had headroom.

Zen 4 runs at a constant temperature and your clock speed varies by your cooler choice without the need for any manual OC.

Edit: one more way to check against allegations that Zen 4's ISH is too thick would be to check for coolant liquid / exhaust air temperature. If it's cold, it means the IHS isn't transfering heat efficiently enough. If it's warm, it means the IHS is doing its job just fine.

Last edited:
Case Asus Prime AP201
Mouse Logitech G403
Given constant convection cooling, the way it was done in this test, the temperature difference (silicon minus ambient) is in linear proportion to the heat output.

What's absent in Zen 4 is hard throttling, which older CPUs use to protect themselves from thermal destruction. When the CPU reached that state, the performance didn't matter any more. Instead, we're getting soft, intelligent throttling now, and it can as well be called power regulation, which is something that the CPU (and its user) can bear in the long term.

Wirko: "the temperature difference (silicon minus ambient) is in linear proportion to the heat output"

You know this to be false, it doesn't even make any sense if you think about it clearly. Does the heat output of a heater in your room change if you blow a fan on it? NO.

Basic high school physics here: One of the major effects of heat transfer is temperature change: heating increases the temperature while cooling decreases it. We assume that there is no phase change and that no work is done on or by the system.

The CPU is doing work in the system as electricity is converted to heat. The CPU is not a hot piece of metal that just radiates in the environment to its surroundings. It is consuming electricity.

A CPU consuming 10W is adding 10W of heat to the system, even if it is running at -100 degrees Celsius.

Last edited:
Processor Intel i7-12700K
Motherboard MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory Corsair Vengeance 4x16 GB (64GB) DDR4-3600 C18
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3090 GAMING X TRIO 24G
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Case Fractal Define C
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G203
Software openSUSE Tumbleweed
W1zzard said:
Even with weaker cooling, the processor won't bug out with thermal-trips or emergency system shutdowns, provided you have some form of cooling. It will still hold on to the 95°C temperature at the highest possible clock speed. This in and of itself isn't new. When any chip hits its temperature limit, it either shuts down, or dramatically drops voltages and clock speeds to attempt to lower temperature; only that's not what is happening with Zen 4. The 95°C temperature doesn't necessarily cause the processor to freak out in any way. Instead 95°C is what the processor is trying to run at, by picking the highest possible boost frequency that doesn't cause the temperature to go over the 95-degree mark. Remember, this isn't a classic TJMax, but a load-temperature limit at which the processor begins to lower its highest boost frequency based on the cooling performance. Once you enable overclocking mode, the 95°C temperature target gets disabled and the CPU may run at up to 105°C, and only above that it will turn off automatically to protect itself—this is the real TJMax.

Have you tried running modern Intel CPUs at the thermal limit under stressful multithread workloads?

Just for the sake of safety, on Z-series motherboards you could decrease the temperature limit to a value similar to that of these AMD CPUs and do such test, for example by disabling the cooler fan. As the CPU keeps working at the themal limit you will see that there's no thermal trip, nor emergency shutdown, nor the CPU will freak out. Effective frequency and power will instead gradually decrease, and performance will follow accordingly.

I just tried with my 12700K and Cinebench R23. I started a long run at 4700 MHz at 170W and ended up at about 3800-4000 MHz with the passively-cooled CPU at about 105W (turns out the Noctua NH-D15S can passively cool quite a lot of power). When I quickly repeated a briefer CB23 test with the CPU at about that power due to the thermal throttling, the score seemed consistent with previous tests with the CPU power-limited that way but proper cooling.

It could be argued that under such unlikely conditions the CPU will not work efficiently, but the excerpt I quoted from today's article seems outdated at the least and worth revisiting to make sure that it still holds in 2022.

Attachments

• 1664838837619.png
    1664838837619.png
    335.2 KB · Views: 151
Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Software Oldwin
Maybe they should head into the kitchen for 10-20 years and pay attention. There's they will learn some practical concepts about heat output.
Good idea. When I get back, I will be:
- acquainted with the fact that liquid water in an ordinary pot doesn't want to go above 100°C, no matter how much heat you put in, which proves that temperature is not related to heat
- sixty or seventy, so maybe a bit slower at thinking
- more willing to buy prebuilt PCs than I am now
- stuck in the past, marvelling at new PCs, all connected to three-phase power
- reading about the world adopting some new temperature scale, "so chips look less hot"

System Name If you name your systems, get a boy/girlfriend...
Processor i7 4770k
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Formula
Cooling Custom waterloop around Black Ice GTX 360
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 FE
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
Case HAF 932
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Windows 10 x64
At least someone gets it !
Temperature (state) and Heat (energy output) are completely different things.
CPU that operates OK in higher temperatures is just better, because it's actually way easier to cool.

System Name ❶ Oooh (2024) ❷ Aaaah (2021) ❸ Ahemm (2017)
Processor ❶ 5800X3D ❷ i7-9700K ❸ i7-7700K
Motherboard ❶ X570-F ❷ Z390-E ❸ Z270-E
Cooling ❶ ALFIII 360 ❷ X62 + X72 (GPU mod) ❸ X62
Memory ❶ 32-3600/16 ❷ 32-3200/16 ❸ 16-3200/16
Video Card(s) ❶ 3080 X Trio ❷ 2080TI (AIOmod) ❸ 1080TI
Storage ❶ NVME/SSD/HDD ❷ <SAME ❸ SSD/HDD
Display(s) ❶ 1440/165/IPS ❷ 1440/144/IPS ❸ 1080/144/IPS
Case ❶ BQ Silent 601 ❷ Cors 465X ❸ Frac Mesh C
Audio Device(s) ❶ HyperX C2 ❷ HyperX C2 ❸ Logi G432
Power Supply ❶ HX1200 Plat ❷ RM750X ❸ EVGA 650W G2
Mouse ❶ Logi G Pro ❷ Razer Bas V3 ❸ Logi G502
Keyboard ❶ Logi G915 TKL ❷ Anne P2 ❸ Logi G610
Benchmark Scores I have wrestled bandwidths, Tussled with voltages, Handcuffed Overclocks, Thrown Gigahertz in Jail
Great review and i couldn't agree more:

"The biggest problem is probably psychological. For years we have been trained that "95°C is bad". This is no longer true. 95°C is the new 65°C"

I'm still in the same boat... gonna have to ride those waves and get used to these new highs. Actually ignore me, i have no use for these high-core-count Zen 4 chips other than a 7600X/7700X which sees "excellent" thermal performance in gaming (esp. considering the new highs)

W1zzard, i'm curious - is there a dedicated page where you announce your up-n-coming reviews?

Case Asus Prime AP201
Mouse Logitech G403
- acquainted with the fact that liquid water in an ordinary pot doesn't want to go above 100°C, no matter how much heat you put in, which proves that temperature is not related to heat
- reading about the world adopting some new temperature scale, "so chips look less hot"
Read the fine print when you study the laws of physics. I'm not trying to be insulting, but educative. But people explain the truth over and over and other people don't listen.

We assume that there is no phase change and that no work is done on or by the system. Otherwise your law is not true.

At least someone gets it !
Temperature (state) and Heat (energy output) are completely different things.
CPU that operates OK in higher temperatures is just better, because it's actually way easier to cool.
exactly!

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple proprietary M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple proprietary M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary onboard 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Sonoma 14.5 (with latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12 Pro. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)

Another thing people might learn in the kitchen is the notion of thermal capacity and energy.

Boil water (100 °C / 212 °F ) and stick your hand in it. You will probably remove it in a tenth of a second and immediately seek a cold water bath for your hand.

Preheat oven (100 °C / 212 °F ) and stick your hand in it. You can probably leave it in there for a while. Not a big deal.

Boiling water and steam are the same temperature (100 °C / 212 °F ). Which one is a nastier burn?

Heat oil to (175 °C / 350 °F ). Heat oven to same temperature. Throw in some chicken legs. Will they be done in the same amount of time?

A lot of people here simply don't understand basic concepts of heat because they are poor observers. Unfortunately at this point, the opportunity to teach them how to be good observers is probably over for most of them.

As we have seen, an entire article about heat was written and a lot of people still don't get it. It's not like a Q&A forum discussion is going to fix deficiencies in observational skills.

Last edited:
System Name Work Computer | Unfinished Computer
Processor Core i7-6700 | Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Dell Q170 | Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wi-Fi
Cooling A fan? | Truly Custom Loop
Memory 4x4GB Crucial 2133 C17 | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600 C26
Video Card(s) Dell Radeon R7 450 | RTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage Crucial BX500 2TB | TBD
Display(s) 3x LG QHD 32" GSM5B96 | TBD
Case Dell | Heavily Modified Phanteks P400
Power Supply Dell TFX Non-standard | EVGA BQ 650W
Mouse Monster No-Name $7 Gaming Mouse| TBD
@W1zzard any plans to test with a 7600X? This testing is amazing but as you mentioned yourself, is a less likely scenario than someone slapping a low-end cooler on a low or mid rang CPU.

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Software Oldwin
Effective frequency and power will instead gradually decrease, and performance will follow accordingly.
Is this the effect of one (or more) of Intel's "boosts"? They are described here, but Intel didn't care to update the page for Alder Lake.

Processor Intel i7-12700K
Motherboard MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory Corsair Vengeance 4x16 GB (64GB) DDR4-3600 C18
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3090 GAMING X TRIO 24G
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Case Fractal Define C
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G203
Software openSUSE Tumbleweed
Is this the effect of one (or more) of Intel's "boosts"? They are described here, but Intel didn't care to update the page for Alder Lake.
It should be a different mechanism which Intel datasheets call Adaptive Thermal Monitor. CPU voltage and frequencies will decrease to keep temperature below the configured limit, and in some cases clock modulation can be introduced too. It works seamlessly and progressively, and it's a behavior many Intel-based notebooks already take advantage of while boosting above PL1.

Attachments

• 1664843537499.png
    1664843537499.png
    196.4 KB · Views: 67
Fantastic article, but until I see how Raptor Lake 13900K behaves as regards clocks, heat, throttling etc, I'll reserve judgement on Zen 4. I'm gobsmacked a massive AIO water cooler didn't make any difference to temperature in blender. Talk is the IHS is just way too thick to allow efficient transfer of heat. I'm bemused as to why AMD chose that path. I hope when the v-cache models come they go with a thinner IHS and/or a Zen 4 revision with thinner IHS. I still won't accept 95C as being normal long term. I tend to keep cpu's a long time.