• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Portal with RTX

Processor Intel Core i7-5960X
Motherboard MSI X99S SLI PLUS
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1070 TI 8GB
Storage Sandisk Ultra II 240GB + HDD
Display(s) Benq GL2480 24" 1080p 75 Hz
Power Supply Seasonic M12II 520W
Mouse Logitech G400
Software Windows 10 LTSC
This Portal remix was done by the NVIDIA team probably, not by enthusiasts modders.
The important thing here is that there is a free modding tool that allows the modding community to basically remaster every old game they want. Will be them to try and test these tools and tell NVIDIA where to adjust things. It won't be a process of a couple of months, but of a couple of years of trials and errors, and of patches and updates.
During this period of time the tool will be improved, the mods polished and the gpu drivers optimized. In the end will be a win win for the players. :)

The New England region of the United States
System Name Daily Driver(gaming, browsing)
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aurus Pro Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black
Memory 32GB(2x16GB) Patriot Viper DDR4-3200C16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB (Boot/OS)|Hynix Platinum P41 2TB (Games)|Kingston KC3000 2TB (Misc)
Display(s) Gigabyte G27F
Case Corsair Graphite 600T w/mesh side
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 2.1 | cheapo gaming headset when mic is needed
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Redragon M808-KS Storm Pro (Great Value)
Keyboard Redragon K512 Shiva replaced a Corsair K70 Lux - Blue on Black
VR HMD Nope
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Nope
There is definitely something not right with this. The performance drop does not equal the increase in image quality. It seems Nvidia is purposely doing something to make the 40 series look reasonable. Portal was about fun factor, not graphics anyway. What a waste of time and resources.

I wonder how ARC does with it, is the performance drop similar to other RT games, or does it also get unreasonably punished for not being from Ngreedia?

Mouse Logitech G400
Software Windows 10 LTSC
Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair MP600 Pro LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
Only 15 years late……not too bad :)

System Name -
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI MEG X570
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 (4x140 push-pull)
Memory 32GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3733 (8GBx4)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4080 X-trio.
Storage Sabrent Rocket-Plus-G 2TB, Crucial P1 1TB, WD 1TB sata.
Display(s) LG Ultragear 34G750 nano-IPS 34" utrawide
Case Define R6
Audio Device(s) Xfi PCIe
Power Supply Fractal Design ION Gold 750W
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2 Mini.
Keyboard Logitech K120
VR HMD Er no, pointless.
Software Windows 10 22H2
Benchmark Scores Timespy - 24522 | Crystalmark - 7100/6900 Seq. & 84/266 QD1 |
The guy doing the voice over on the video above is an idiot, quite possibly a shill. It has been posted that this is the DX8 version of the game, so not that taxing to begin with and some how we are all supposed to be impressed now that it has RTX. yawn.

Last edited:
System Name Nebulon B
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-4800
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
It's published by Nvidia so almost certainly this is a case of Nvidia pulling another gamesworks and doing everything it can to nuke AMD performance. The 6900 XT is much faster than the 3060 in RT yet here is much lower. This is more or less what I expected of these Nvidia RTX mods. Nvidai seems to only be accelerating it's anti-competitive anti-consumer practices of late.
That's what I was thinking. It's shocking, though. Someone should really tell Nvidia to F right off. I'm wondering if a future AMD driver update will help it a little.

Mouse Logitech G400
Software Windows 10 LTSC
Its been posted that this is the DX8 version of the game, so not that taxing to begin with and some how we are all supposed to be impressed now that it has RTX. So no bothered or interested by this.

The guy doing the voice over on the video above is an idiot, quite possibly a shill.
Lol, never seen kliksphilips videos? He's weird, but certainly not a shill.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
To me this just shows that RT is a waste of die space and the computational power requirement is unrealistic for current technology. A game without complex and realistic geometry manages to bring the 4090 to its knees, imagine if the focus was to create a photorealistic game, with physics and geometry close to reality, would this U$ 1600 GPU run at 2fps? Why waste resources on photorealistic lighting if everything else is not photorealistic ??

Even on older gamers current real time RT implementations still use very few primary rays per pixel. You'd first need to be able run older titles with higher primary ray counts before you even consider newer titles. You'd need about 10-20x the number of primary rays to get close to movie quality so take the numbers given in this article and divide by 20.

Then consider that you'd need vastly more VRAM as memory requirements increase greatly with more complex scenes. Ray tracing performance tanks when you thrash, as evidenced by the 3070's 1 FPS at 4K.

This Portal remix was done by the NVIDIA team probably, not by enthusiasts modders.
The important thing here is that there is a free modding tool that allows the modding community to basically remaster every old game they want. Will be them to try and test these tools and tell NVIDIA where to adjust things. It won't be a process of a couple of months, but of a couple of years of trials and errors, and of patches and updates.
During this period of time the tool will be improved, the mods polished and the gpu drivers optimized. In the end will be a win win for the players. :)

As a long time modder and mod creator myself, I would not recommend anyone touch a tool that effectively only works on Nvidia cards. It's completely counter to the ethos of PC modding to require people to buy a specific brand in order to use a mod. 1 FPS on the 6900 XT is completely unplayable and unacceptable given the 6900 XT beats the 3060 in RT performance but is somehow slower than it with this mod.

This tool is nothing but a promotional prop for Nvidia until they get performance on other brands sorted out.

That's what I was thinking. It's shocking, though. Someone should really tell Nvidia to F right off. I'm wondering if a future AMD driver update will help it a little.

It depends how Nvidia is doing things. AMD was able to fix performance in Crysis 2 by limiting tesselation from the unreasonable amount set by Nvidia. The problem this time around is that Nvidia might just be using an inferior code path all around for non-Nvidia cards. Even with vastly more complicated driver hackery you might be able to get some additional performance but you'd still be SOL. The performance of AMD cards in this mod is really unacceptable, almost like it's purposefully avoiding using RT acceleration capabilities of those products.

mrlance2022

As someone who missed the original portal launch( never got it it ) and who has a 4090 now, if I were to download this with rtx, this would literally be my first run through impression with rtx on

Mouse Logitech G400
Software Windows 10 LTSC
Even on older gamers current real time RT implementations still use very few primary rays per pixel. You'd first need to be able run older titles with higher primary ray counts before you even consider newer titles. You'd need about 10-20x the number of primary rays to get close to movie quality so take the numbers given in this article and divide by 20.
Then consider that you'd need vastly more VRAM as memory requirements increase greatly with more complex scenes. Ray tracing performance tanks when you thrash, as evidenced by the 3070's 1 FPS at 4K.

As a long time modder and mod creator myself, I would not recommend anyone touch a tool that effectively only works on Nvidia cards. It's completely counter to the ethos of PC modding to require people to buy a specific brand in order to use a mod. 1 FPS on the 6900 XT is completely unplayable and unacceptable given the 6900 XT beats the 3060 in RT performance but is somehow slower than it with this mod.
This tool is nothing but a promotional prop for Nvidia until they get performance on other brands sorted out.

It depends how Nvidia is doing things. AMD was able to fix performance in Crysis 2 by limiting tesselation from the unreasonable amount set by Nvidia. The problem this time around is that Nvidia might just be using an inferior code path all around for non-Nvidia cards. You'd need some vastly more complicated driver hackery to fix that but really it's not something gamers should tolerate. The performance of AMD cards in this mod is really unacceptable, almost like it's purposefully avoiding using RT acceleration capabilities of those products.
So what you suggest to NVIDIA? Going back to stone age because AMD can't improve and innovate itself. They should get rid of Tensor cores, Cuda cores and RT cores, because AMD can't keep up?
AMD is miles behind NVIDIA when it's about 3D and rendering. You should know that, since you say you are a modder.
Also, don't forget that this tool has been just released and the modding community hasn't started to play with it yet. So it's normal that there are performance problems. NVIDIA will make use of the feedbacks from the modders to improve it.

System Name Nebulon B
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Software Windows 10 Pro
So what you suggest to NVIDIA? Going back to stone age because AMD can't improve and innovate itself. They should get rid of Tensor cores, Cuda cores and RT cores, because AMD can't keep up?
AMD is miles behind NVIDIA when it's about 3D and rendering. You should know that, since you say you are a modder.
Also, don't forget that this tool has been just released and the modding community hasn't started to play with it yet. So it's normal that there are performance problems. NVIDIA will make use of the feedbacks from the modders to improve it.
It's not that AMD can't innovate. It's Nvidia making code that only runs on their own hardware. AMD can't even have CUDA cores because it's a trademark of Nvidia. There is a huge difference. There is literally no way to keep up with closed, in-house and trademarked technologies. It's the same reason why you'll only ever find a heated windscreen in Ford cars. The technology behind it isn't new or complicated, but other brands are not allowed to use it.

The more the gaming community turns a blind eye to such practice, the more we support Nvidia's monopoly and high prices.

System Name My Surround PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS STRIX X670E-F
Cooling Swiftech MCP35X / EK Quantum CPU / Alphacool GPU / XSPC 480mm w/ Corsair Fans
Memory 96GB (2 x 48 GB) G.Skill DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Suprim X 24GB
Storage WD SN850 2TB, Samsung PM981a 1TB, 4 x 4TB + 1 x 10TB HGST NAS HDD for Windows Storage Spaces
Display(s) 2 x Viotek GFI27QXA 27" 4K 120Hz + LG UH850 4K 60Hz + HMD
Case NZXT Source 530
Audio Device(s) Sony MDR-7506 / Logitech Z-5500 5.1
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x 1 kW
Mouse Patriot Viper V560
Keyboard Corsair K100
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Mellanox ConnectX-3 10 Gb/s Fiber Network Card
The problem for me is, imagine a remaster of Portal using only rasterization. But targeted for 60 fps with an RTX 4090. Good god, that would look good. Way better than this :)
I'm sure it would, but I imagine that if you wanted the result to have great lighting then the amount of development work required would be an order of magnitude higher than adding raytracing.

Mouse Logitech G400
Software Windows 10 LTSC
It's not that AMD can't innovate. It's Nvidia making code that only runs on their own hardware. AMD can't even have CUDA cores because it's a trademark of Nvidia. There is a huge difference. There is literally no way to keep up with closed, in-house and trademarked technologies. It's the same reason why you'll only ever find a heated windscreen in Ford cars. The technology behind it isn't new or complicated, but other brands are not allowed to use it.
The more the gaming community turns a blind eye to such practice, the more we support Nvidia's monopoly and high prices.
You know what AMD could have done all these years to increase its chances to compete with NVIDIA in the professional field? Make a partnership with some of the big dogs of the 3D and graphic industry (such Autodesk, Adobe, Maxon, etc.) and optimize its hardware for their softwares.
They been able to kick Intel'ass with the introduction of Ryzen, no? So they proved that they can be successfull when they want.
NVIDIA doesn't have to make the Cuda cores tech open source: they spent some billion to engineer it and many more billions to improve it and work with software houses to get support for it. Instead it's AMD that has to introduce a new hardware technology that proves to be way faster than Cuda. Damn, they developed their own rendering engine (Radeon ProRender) and the NVIDIA gpus were faster with it. I mean, they need to get their shit together in the 3D industry, because they are leaving a tons of billions to NVIDIA there. The 3D is the foundation of the multimedia industry nowadays: videogames and movies make all use of that.
We all want and need to see AMD gpus to get on top, but AMD seems to focus just on games.
Porsche and Ferrari are competitors and none of them stop the innovation process to wait for the other to keep up. That's the business world.

System Name Overkill
Processor Intel 11700K
Motherboard MSI MAG B560 Tomahawk Wifi
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB PRO XT
Memory Crucial Ballistix 64 GB 3200
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 Sapphire Nitro+
Storage WD SN850 2 TB -- Solidigm P41 Plus 2 TB
Display(s) Asus VG259QM 1080p 240hz
Case Corsair 4000X
Power Supply Corsair RMX850 2021
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Corsair K70 TKL
Software Windows 10
You know what AMD could have done all these years to increase its chances to compete with NVIDIA in the professional field? Make a partnership with some of the big dogs of the 3D and graphic industry (such Autodesk, Adobe, Maxon, etc.) and optimize its hardware for their softwares.
They been able to kick Intel'ass with the introduction of Ryzen, no? So they proved that they can be successfull when they want.
NVIDIA doesn't have to make the Cuda cores tech open source: they spent some billion to engineer it and many more billions to improve it and work with software houses to get support for it. Instead it's AMD that has to introduce a new hardware technology that proves to be way faster than Cuda. Damn, they developed their own rendering engine (Radeon ProRender) and the NVIDIA gpus were faster with it. I mean, they need to get their shit together in the 3D industry, because they are leaving a tons of billions to NVIDIA there. The 3D is the foundation of the multimedia industry nowadays: videogames and movies make all use of that.
We all want and need to see AMD gpus to get on top, but AMD seems to focus just on games.
Porsche and Ferrari are competitors and none of them stop the innovation process to wait for the other to keep up. That's the business world.
Your entire post is moot. Virtually every other game with Ray Tracing has competent performance on AMD cards at 1080p, especially the Navi 21 cards. Somehow those other devs can get it working just fine on AMDs "stone age" (???) ray tracing cores. Rx 6000 series was neck and neck with 30 series in raster as well, but you make it out as if we are back in the days of polaris.
It is blatantly obvious Nvidia's devs sabotaged AMD performance, and probably Arc performance too. Whole thing is a joke and doesn't push anything forward, just more marketing garbage to try and sell you overpriced GPU's. Clearly it's working since so many of you fall for it, so I can't blame Nvidia for doing it.
And as for AMD beating Intel, that's due to Intel's incompetence moreso than AMD innovation to be frank (which was put on display once again with how disastrous the Arc launch was). Nvidia pulls even more scumbaggery than Intel, but have the competence to not let the success make them totally complacent. Because of people like you making endless excuses for Nvidia, they will never lose substantial market share.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
Luckily AMD fans don't care about RT, well that's what you hear time and time again.

But seriously, AMD may drop a driver in a day or two that brings their performance up to scratch.

System Name Red Devil
Processor AMD 5950x - Vermeer - B0
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm; 14 x Corsair QL 120mm RGB Case Fans
Memory G.SKill Trident Z Neo 32GB Kit DDR4-3600 CL14 (F4-3600C14Q-32GTZNB)
Video Card(s) PowerColor's Red Devil Radeon RX 6900 XT (Navi 21 XTX)
Storage 2 x Western Digital SN850 1GB; 1 x Samsung SSD 870EVO 2TB
Display(s) 3 x Asus VG27AQL1A; 1 x Sony A1E OLED 4K
Case Corsair Obsidian 1000D
Audio Device(s) Corsair SP2500; Steel Series Arctis Nova Pro Wireless (XBox Version)
Power Supply AX1500i Digital ATX - 1500w - 80 Plus Titanium
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Razer Huntsman V2 - Optical Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11
"The AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT really isn't fit for this level of ray tracing. It starts out with 5 FPS at 1080p and almost runs in "seconds per frame" mode at 4K."

I believe this wholeheartedly. Fortnite's new UE 5.1 patch has my 6900XT running at between 30-40 fps. I turned off RT and got 40-50. I said eff it and went with the recommend settings and got between 100-120 fps @ 1440p. This is why I'm going Nvidia after 20+ years.

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
Your entire post is moot. Virtually every other game with Ray Tracing has competent performance on AMD cards at 1080p, especially the Navi 21 cards. Somehow those other devs can get it working just fine on AMDs "stone age" (???) ray tracing cores. Rx 6000 series was neck and neck with 30 series in raster as well, but you make it out as if we are back in the days of polaris.
It is blatantly obvious Nvidia's devs sabotaged AMD performance, and probably Arc performance too. Whole thing is a joke and doesn't push anything forward, just more marketing garbage to try and sell you overpriced GPU's. Clearly it's working since so many of you fall for it, so I can't blame Nvidia for doing it.
And as for AMD beating Intel, that's due to Intel's incompetence moreso than AMD innovation to be frank (which was put on display once again with how disastrous the Arc launch was). Nvidia pulls even more scumbaggery than Intel, but have the competence to not let the success make them totally complacent. Because of people like you making endless excuses for Nvidia, they will never lose substantial market share.
Thanks for saying what I wanted to say.

It's not that AMD doesn't have the technology - it's that Nvidia is making sure game developers use code that runs poorly on AMD. They're not making GeForce cards look good - they're making Radeons look shit.

Winning on the x86 front that is available to use by both Intel and AMD is one thing - working together with game devs just to make sure the code doesn't run on the competition's hardware is something entirely different. It reeks of anti-competition and anti-consumer attitude, and the longer we put up with it, the longer Nvidia keeps increasing prices.

My biggest problem with Ray Tracing is they can't even have a real-time mirror in Cyberpunk.

It's a nice gimmick, but it's not worth the performance hit often.

Current shadows and particle effects tend to be so good that RTX isn't necessary.
Yet Doom 3 had proper mirrors 14 years before ray tracing appeared in consumer graphics.

I have a 4090 ROG Strix...and apparently, if you don't, you can't play this game properly.

Thanks for saying what I wanted to say.

It's not that AMD doesn't have the technology - it's that Nvidia is making sure game developers use code that runs poorly on AMD. They're not making GeForce cards look good - they're making Radeons look shit.

Winning on the x86 front that is available to use by both Intel and AMD is one thing - working together with game devs just to make sure the code doesn't run on the competition's hardware is something entirely different. It reeks of anti-competition and anti-consumer attitude, and the longer we put up with it, the longer Nvidia keeps increasing prices.

Yet Doom 3 had proper mirrors 14 years before ray tracing appeared in consumer graphics.

GOOD POINT.

I was surprised that I couldn't use mirrors in Cyberpunk.

And Shadows/reflections and transparency technology was already excellent in games as old as Crysis.

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
I was surprised that I couldn't use mirrors in Cyberpunk.

And Shadows/reflections and transparency technology was already excellent in games as old as Crysis.
Yep. In my opinion, we don't need more realistic lighting. What we need is more realistic skin textures, higher polygon count and better facial animations. The environment looked awesome 10 years ago, but characters still look like crap.

I'm talking about games in general, of course.

System Name Core
Processor Intel 12700k @ 5.2/4.0
Motherboard ASRock z690 Steel Legend
Cooling Artic Cooling Freezer 420 AiO
Memory GSkill 64GB 3200 cas 14 b die
Video Card(s) ASRock Intel ARC a750
Storage Optane 900p x2, SK Hynix p41 Pro, p31 Pro
Display(s) ACER 250hz 1080p 25" IPS display/AOC 22" display
Case Phanteks p500a with all Arctic/Thermaltake fans
Audio Device(s) Focusrite interface, Presonus Studio Monitors and Subwoofer
Power Supply Seasonic 850w plat with cable mod cables
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Corsair mech k65
Software Win 11 Pro
Thanks for this review! Been waiting anxiously for this to come out. Wow does RT kick gpus in the pants! My 3090 is enough for 60fps at the res I will play at, with DLSS of course.

CUDA cores is just fancy names nvidia gives to their stream processor. AFAIK AMD still call theirs as stream processor instead of something like OpenCL core or ROCm core. So there is no such thing like "AMD can't have CUDA cores" to begin with.

Another thing to note: nvidia never stops anyone from utilizing their CUDA stuff. There are several vendors out there make their hardware run nvidia CUDA like Qualcomm. Even AMD many of the initiatives like HIP actually directly take the work that nvidia has done on CUDA and then try to "translate" them to work on their hardware. From there developer will work to optimize their software on AMD hardware after the transition. AMD doing this because it saves them a lot of trouble to build everything from the scratch and just modify the proven work that has been done on nvidia CUDA before.

System Name ATHENA
Processor AMD 7950X
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair X670E Extreme
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360, 13 x Lian Li P28
Memory 2x32GB Trident Z RGB 6000Mhz CL30
Video Card(s) ASUS 4090 STRIX
Storage 3 x Kingston Fury 4TB, 4 x Samsung 870 QVO
Display(s) Acer X38S, Wacom Cintiq Pro 15
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Topping DX9, Fluid FPX7 Fader Pro, Beyerdynamic T1 G2, Beyerdynamic MMX300
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME TX-1600
Mouse Xtrfy MZ1 - Zy' Rail, Logitech MX Vertical, Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 + Universal Blue
System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
CUDA cores is just fancy names nvidia gives to their stream processor. AFAIK AMD still call theirs as stream processor instead of something like OpenCL core or ROCm core. So there is no such thing like "AMD can't have CUDA cores" to begin with.

Another thing to note: nvidia never stops anyone from utilizing their CUDA stuff. There are several vendors out there make their hardware run nvidia CUDA like Qualcomm. Even AMD many of the initiatives like HIP actually directly take the work that nvidia has done on CUDA and then try to "translate" them to work on their hardware. From there developer will work to optimize their software on AMD hardware after the transition. AMD doing this because it saves them a lot of trouble to build everything from the scratch and just modify the proven work that has been done on nvidia CUDA before.
Sorry, I didn't word it properly. I didn't mean CUDA cores - I meant CUDA as a technology, as in using it for physics in games and such.

Nvidia may not actively prevent anyone from using CUDA but they certainly work with game devs to make sure it only runs well on Nvidia hardware.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10

Which is why I stipulated in my comment:

This isn't a matter of AMD not being able to keep up, this is a matter of AMD performing vastly worse in only this example as compared to every other use of RT in games. As I previously stated:

the 6900 XT beats the 3060 in RT performance but is somehow slower than it with this mod.

I'm not going broach this one aside from the fact that it isn't relevant to real time ray tracing performance. As I've pointed out twice, the 6900 XT does in fact have superior RT performance compared to the 3060 and that's what is relevant here.