• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Youtube, Discord, Visual Studio Code are flickering with black checkered squares/vertical lines. Partial solutions to this issue.

I already did that indirectly last week: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1480717#c3 That link goes to your reply in which you mention that bug #2 is easier to reproduce for you.
But I wouldn't be surprised if they accidentally skip that last paragraph in your post, so feel free to post your method in the thread as well. (I saw that you already replied in that issue, so I think you should still be able to post there.)
Oh, I'm sorry, I already forgot that. I've had a difficult week :(

lolman2743

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum. I just registered cause I saw this thread.
I'm having the same issue while scrolling through Chrome. During the last week that "black squares" bug intensified, particularly if i leave hardware acceleration on and ANGLE flag default.
It happens with both my 3060 ti and 4070.
It often happens when I scroll trough a page and my GPU is basically not under heavy load.
I changed to OpenGL the ANGLE flag, but I noticed that videos stutter a little bit on youtube for the first 3-4 seconds.
Any suggestion? cause if I disable Hardware acceleration (the only solution I found) Chrome browser is very laggy.

I'm having the same issue while scrolling through Chrome. During the last week that "black squares" bug intensified, particularly if i leave hardware acceleration on and ANGLE flag default.
It often happens when I scroll trough a page and my GPU is basically not under heavy load.
I changed to OpenGL the ANGLE flag, but I noticed that videos stutter a little bit on youtube for the first 3-4 seconds.
Any suggestion? cause if I disable Hardware acceleration (the only solution I found) Chrome browser is very laggy.
Hello! Try using DirectX 9 API instead of OpenGL API. Please write about the result after this ^_^

Honestly I'm surprised a bit, because I've never seen any lag with OpenGL. On the contrary, Youtube videos work much better when I use this API

Last edited:
That's probably the page loading in the first 4 seconds. OpenGL does require a bit more GPU performance than DirectX11, so if your GPU cannot handle this overhead you'll get some stutter.

So far we have found 6 different workarounds that fix the checkered squares, in order of less to most performance impact:
1. Create a shortcut to the browser and add these arguments to "Target" field of the shortcut: --disable-features=DCompPresenter --disable-direct-composition-video-overlays
2. Change chrome://flags/#use-angle to D3D11on12
3. Change chrome://flags/#use-angle to OpenGL
4. Change chrome://flags/#use-angle to D3D9
5. Set your power plan to High performance to prevent your CPU from throttling down
6. And only if none of the above worked: Disable hardware acceleration

lolman2743

Hello! Try using DirectX 9 API instead of OpenGL API. Please write about the result after this ^_^

Honestly I'm surprised a bit, because I've never seen any lag with OpenGL. On the contrary, Youtube videos work much better when I use this API
I will try for a bit D3D11on12 instead, cause also I noticed some lag when scrolling PDFs opened with Chrome with OpenGL and D3D9 (lag doesnt appear when using D3D11on12)

Artlu

That's probably the page loading in the first 4 seconds. OpenGL does require a bit more GPU performance than DirectX11, so if your GPU cannot handle this overhead you'll get some stutter.

So far we have found 6 different workarounds that fix the checkered squares, in order of less to most performance impact:
1. Create a shortcut to the browser and add these arguments to "Target" field of the shortcut: --disable-features=DCompPresenter --disable-direct-composition-video-overlays
2. Change chrome://flags/#use-angle to D3D11on12
3. Change chrome://flags/#use-angle to OpenGL
4. Change chrome://flags/#use-angle to D3D9
5. Set your power plan to High performance to prevent your CPU from throttling down
6. And only if none of the above worked: Disable hardware acceleration
Is it possible to add the target commands to the shortcut and then add the shortcut to ur taskbar? or will it be the standard chrome then without the commands?

Everyone, thank you so much, I've noticed this in windows 10, 11 and linux mint and ubuntu. i just thought my 2080 has issues and didnt even think it could be a bug, I was just happy that it works fine in games. Do your fixes work ? I guess they do, so far I haven't noticed any newflashing however I'm more happy that it's an actual issue and the card is fine.
~ Makes you wonder how many things we ignore in life and just passively accept as being as they are without knowing that a great deal of people are facing the same issues. ~

For all those who still don't believe it's just a bug and think it's a faulty GPU:

1695365029822.png

1695365040938.png

Is it possible to add the target commands to the shortcut and then add the shortcut to ur taskbar? or will it be the standard chrome then without the commands?
I'm not sure, but I think it will be standard Google Chrome without commands. We need for Wezelkrozum to answer this question, because I use the method with the OpenGL API.

so, we can finally hope in a bugfix in the coming weeks maybe?
depends on Microsoft softness

But seriously, I wouldn't hope for such a quick fix, considering that Nvidia and Microsoft started working on a solution together quite recently.

Yes, that is possible. First, remove the old Chrome from the taskbar (to avoid confusion later), then just drag your new shortcut into the taskbar.

There are 3 ways to see if it worked:
- When you hover over the shortcut it should display a tooltip with the name of your shortcut:
1695371447977.png

- When you click on the shortcut a second Chrome icon appears:
(And this is also a downside of a shortcut in the taskbar)
1695371543362.png

- After opening Chrome from the shortcut, go to chrome://gpu and search for chrome.exe Your custom commands should be listed there in the Command Line field:
1695371832420.png

lolman2743

Yes, that is possible. First, remove the old Chrome from the taskbar (to avoid confusion later), then just drag your new shortcut into the taskbar.

There are 3 ways to see if it worked:
- When you hover over the shortcut it should display a tooltip with the name of your shortcut:
View attachment 314688

- When you click on the shortcut a second Chrome icon appears:
(And this is also a downside of a shortcut in the taskbar)
View attachment 314689

- After opening Chrome from the shortcut, go to chrome://gpu and search for chrome.exe Your custom commands should be listed there in the Command Line field:
View attachment 314691
May I just ask you what those shortcuts do? just curious

May I just ask you what those shortcuts do? just curious
Essentially the 2 extra commands disable the MPO (hardware overlays) that have those black/white squares sometimes.

For more technical information. Here are links to the code and explanations in the Chromium sourcecode:

--disable-features=DCompPresenter
gpu_finch_features.cc#189

--disable-direct-composition-video-overlays
gl_switches.cc#141

zakmdot

Thanks for this thread, this has been killing me forever!

I'm unable to use the suggestions so far to work with Edge - would it be easier to just switch to Chrome until this all settles down?

After researching a bit I think I found a way to replicate and alleviate the checkerboard issue [3992875].

*Disable HAGS (Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling)
(Found under Windows Graphics Settings)
Noticed occasional flashing but no checkerboard when HAGS is disabled.

*Enabling HAGS might slightly increase performance on instances and is also required to use DLSS 3 frame generation, so I don't see turning this off as the ultimate solution,
but knowing HAGS aggregates glitching will hopefully help in having the issue resolved by either Microsoft, Nvidia or Google..?

Replicate:
The way for me to constantly replicate the issue as funny as it may seem is by playing the video reviewing HAGS with the settings bellow.
(Should You Use Hardware-Accelerated GPU Scheduling? And How to Enable or Disable! - YouTube)

Use Edge (On latest Chrome YouTube's ambient mode does nothing)
Dark theme (Needed to enable Ambient Mode option)
Ambient Mode ON (turning this off eliminates glitches)
Highest video resolution (2160p60fps)

Playing through the first minute with the above settings will show enough glitches to realize the issue.
Placing the mouse over the timeline and moving it without clicking also aggravates glitching.
Presumably it's the way ambient mode changes colors in that video that seems to trigger it since other (4k60fps) don't glitch that much.
There are other ways and apps to replicate as well but this is convenient enough for now..
Also had a similar issue happening while on a video call on Discord..

Glitch can also be recorded using OBS and default capture method "DXGI Desktop duplication mode".
While it won't get recorded when using Capture method "Windows 10 (1903 and up)"
I think the ability to record a glitch using software is most often a good indication that it is not a hardware issue.

-----------------------------------------------

GPU: Nvidia 4070 (TUF-RTX4070-O12G-GAMING)
Monitors: LG 32GP850 @180Hz (G-Sync Enabled) & Asus MX259 @74Hz
CPU: Intel Xeon x5650 (OC @3.9)
Nvidia Drivers tested: 536.23, 537.13, 537.34 & 537.42
Windows 10 22H2 (OS Build 19045.3448)
Edge Version 117.0.2045.41 (Official build) (64-bit)

After researching a bit I think I found a way to replicate and alleviate the checkerboard issue [3992875].

*Disable HAGS (Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling)
(Found under Windows Graphics Settings)
Noticed occasional flashing but no checkerboard when HAGS is disabled.

*Enabling HAGS might slightly increase performance on instances and is also required to use DLSS 3 frame generation, so I don't see turning this off as the ultimate solution,
but knowing HAGS aggregates glitching will hopefully help in having the issue resolved by either Microsoft, Nvidia or Google..?

Replicate:
The way for me to constantly replicate the issue as funny as it may seem is by playing the video reviewing HAGS with the settings bellow.
(Should You Use Hardware-Accelerated GPU Scheduling? And How to Enable or Disable! - YouTube)

Use Edge (On latest Chrome YouTube's ambient mode does nothing)
Dark theme (Needed to enable Ambient Mode option)
Ambient Mode ON (turning this off eliminates glitches)
Highest video resolution (2160p60fps)

Playing through the first minute with the above settings will show enough glitches to realize the issue.
Placing the mouse over the timeline and moving it without clicking also aggravates glitching.
Presumably it's the way ambient mode changes colors in that video that seems to trigger it since other (4k60fps) don't glitch that much.
There are other ways and apps to replicate as well but this is convenient enough for now..
Also had a similar issue happening while on a video call on Discord..

Glitch can also be recorded using OBS and default capture method "DXGI Desktop duplication mode".
While it won't get recorded when using Capture method "Windows 10 (1903 and up)"
I think the ability to record a glitch using software is most often a good indication that it is not a hardware issue.

GPU: Nvidia 4070 (TUF-RTX4070-O12G-GAMING)
Monitors: LG 32GP850 @180Hz (G-Sync Enabled) & Asus MX259 @74Hz
CPU: Intel Xeon x5650 (OC @3.9)
Nvidia Drivers tested: 536.23, 537.13, 537.34 & 537.42
Windows 10 22H2 (OS Build 19045.3448)
Edge Version 117.0.2045.41 (Official build) (64-bit)

I can reproduce this bug on any Chromium-based browser. My main browser is Google Chrome version 117.0.5938.92, but in my method the version does not matter. The main thing is to follow the requirements.

Check this post

Pap3rEmperor_

Good day, I just created an account because I got similar issues.

Thank you for this thread. It's greatly appreciated.

So essentially whenever I use Chrome, at low load. Black blocks or black checkerboard patterns appear on my display and disappear as soon as they appear. It's so hard to catch it on video as it's utterly so random. It happens on YouTube or any website. I did DDU, update Windows. Cleaned my PC, checked power cables and all the usual. GPU seems to be fine when doing OCCT, Heaven and Furmark. I am going to go through the recommendations. Hopefully, my GPU is not actually failing. I got left than year left on warranty (Got the GPU in October 2021). I use a RTX 3060. Model GA106, Revision A1. Thanks OP.

So essentially whenever I use Chrome, at low load. Black blocks or black checkerboard patterns appear on my display and disappear as soon as they appear.
Jup, that sounds like this bug. My CPU frequency has to be around a low 1GHz for it to happen.
I expect all 6 workarounds will work for you.

ls612

I have found that the command line flags workaround makes things better but doesn't fully eliminate the issue. It's most egregious on 4k youtube videos, I rarely if ever see this on 1080p videos being upscaled with Video Super Resolution. Also after reading some earlier posts I should also point out that my display is running at 144Hz with G-sync which may be part of where this bug is coming from.

Kardahim

Hello everyone.
I have the same problem. I'm using windows 10 and geforce gtx 1060 3gb. I also use 2 monitors. The first 165 Hz with FreeSync (since I have an nvidia card, I do not use this function), the second 60 Hz. I did not have any problems before July. Pc was a month off because I was away from home. When I returned, I see a problem with browsers and some games (only during anti-aliasing in enabled). I think it's the fault of windows update. I would add that when I changed the ANGLE to OpenGL is glitche with the browser gave way.

I have found that the command line flags workaround makes things better but doesn't fully eliminate the issue. It's most egregious on 4k youtube videos, I rarely if ever see this on 1080p videos being upscaled with Video Super Resolution. Also after reading some earlier posts I should also point out that my display is running at 144Hz with G-sync which may be part of where this bug is coming from.
Having set Gsync to ON (for fullscreen and/or windowed screen) in the Nvidia Control Panel is certainly unrelated.

As I am still seeing the problem while having it set for months now to OFF.

creepin

One thing maybe worth checking out,

go to regedit -> Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration

I had lots of duplicates for the same monitor, and also old monitors. Just delete all the configs and reboot. Setup your screen resolutions and refresh rates after reboot again

@Mussels post here got me thinking that maybe because of the multiple configs, MPO gets disabled some time after boot. (After login I always got a short black screen, like if it was changing resolutions/switching configs between login screen and desktop).

Tested it for an hour now and no checkerboard yet.
Chrome still with default settings.

Yup, I agree with ThirtyNinety, this bug is not related to G-sync.

@KsushaTeaKisa Here is just some extra info about bug nr 3.
I can also easily reproduce it, now that I've upgraded my computer from "Windows 10 with an Intel 6700K CPU" to "Windows 11 with an AMD 7800X3D CPU". So, apparently you need Windows 11 or/and a modern CPU to easily reproduce it.