• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Core i9-14900K

I have no idea why are so many people hating on a 14900K.
Me neither. Didn't understand the people whining about the Ryzen 7950 either. I chock it up to fanboys or some silliness like it.

He's serious, and I'm with him on that point.

You lost to menoscats. Shame on you, dude.
I didn't lose anything. Silly people will always be silly and people who can't math to save their life will always struggle with basic mathematical logic.

FTFY

Fast, but horribly power hungry/inefficient even when putting restrictions vs the competition.
No, once power limited, they are very efficient. Somebody at Anadtech forum made a script for assessing power efficiency while running Cinebench R23. Once power limited, 13900K is up there with 7950X. And BTW, it manages score of almost 34000 at 160W.

Attachments

• 13900k efficiency.png
    13900k efficiency.png
    233.4 KB · Views: 158
I'm missing the point.

Lets supose you have "unlimited" consumer budged. If you don't you can't afford a last gen i9 anyway.

Only gaming (>=1080)? 7800x3d (price)
Only productivity? 7950x or 7950x3d (performance and AVX512)
Mixed? 7950x3d (price/performance/features/probable cpu ugrade path)
Thats what the review numbers tell anyone. Who cares about 100Mhz out of 5500?

Limited budged, you go for AMD or an i7.
If you're going for a i9-14th gen, you won't use ddr4. I mean, sell your old ddr4 system and get an AMD or 13th gen ddr5 system as an upgrade. As a recommended choice.

Of course there are punctual productivity/gaming situations where people tends to choose a CPU because that brand is faster. But that is a personal choise for a very specific usage. SQL or some compiler or a game you play a lot.

If can say "you won't notice the difference betweent these 5 cpus in most of the cases", How can you choose one based on the performance? Price, room temperature of the customer, cooling prices, bill prices, power restrictions (UPS) should appear in the conclusions. And they do. And none of them is in favour of 14th gen, the 20$ buck difference with 13th gen maybe.

Why would this processor be a choise appart from "it has been sold to you" by numbering, brand or a seller?
Why its editor's choice? Or a choise at all.

Last edited:
No, once power limited, they are very efficient. Somebody at Anadtech forum made a script for assessing power efficiency while running Cinebench R23. Once power limited, 13900K is up there with 7950X. And BTW, it manages score of almost 34000 at 160W.

So catering a test in every attempt to make it look good, drastically reducing power limits, its still LESS efficient then its competing part; TLDR still horribly inefficient.

The only person you’re fooling is yourself.

... TLDR still horribly inefficient.

Sorry but for one cinebench run:
7950X consumes 4067 Joules of energy.
13900K at 250W (close to 253 of spec energy limit) 5356 J, while having better score, that is finishing the job sooner.

Is this really horribly inefficient compared to 7950X? Are you not fooling yourself? The difference in efficiency is not in multiples, it is just 30% worse, and fixable, if your primary interest is efficiency: for example, you could drop the limit of 13900K to 100W and achieve the workload just with 3000 J.

Sorry but for one cinebench run:
7950X consumes 4067 Joules of energy.
13900K at 250W (close to 253 of spec energy limit) 5356 J, while having better score, that is finishing the job sooner.

Is this really horribly inefficient compared to 7950X? Are you not fooling yourself? The difference in efficiency is not in multiples, it is just 30% worse, and fixable, if your primary interest is efficiency: for example, you could drop the limit of 13900K to 100W and achieve the workload just with 3000 J.

The 13900k/14900k are capable processors, being within margin of error score vs its competitor while consuming significantly more power is inefficient.

That graph even illustrates that if you were to limit each processor to a similar power usages, raptor lake would still lose by 25-30% at and below 100w.

Raptor Lake is not, say it with me, NOT an efficient architecture. Cherry picking catered benchmarks isn’t even helping your non argument, but you’re free to believe whatever you want.

Again, 13900k, 14900k, raptor lake etc… very capable, NOT efficient.

Raptor Lake is not, say it with me, NOT an efficient architecture.
It has nothing to do with architecture, it is the process Intel makes it on. If Intel redid these CPUs for TSMC process, there would be no problem with efficiency at all.

I played with these CPUs (13rd gen raptors) extensively lowering their power limit and frequencies and they are very nice chips, Intel just tortures them to look better in review graphs.

It has nothing to do with architecture, it is the process Intel makes it on. If Intel redid these CPUs for TSMC process, there would be no problem with efficiency at all.

I played with these CPUs (13rd gen raptors) extensively lowering their power limit and frequencies and they are very nice chips, Intel just tortures them to look better in review graphs.

What ifs don’t change the reality. You can only judge/assess the hardware as it exists in comparison to other existing hardware.

Intel tortures it because their end product needs to consume excess power to reach the same performance levels, restricting the power limit doesn’t change the reality.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs, 24TB Enterprise drives
Display(s) 55" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
If by up there with you mean 20% less performance per watt then yes it is.

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO, 2TB SN850X, 2TB DC P4600, 1TB 860 EVO, 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-9
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
I really don't care that much about power consumption but when your CPU is using as much power as your GPU that's insane and even then that would be more palatable if it actually gave you a tangible improvement.
Even if you have no concerns over energy use consider power consumption usually ties into heat so it means its harder to keep cool.

On my 13700k, on spice wars I switch to my soft p-states power scheme and it saves 50w on the CPU, I save another 50w or so by switching GPU to throttled clocks. With zero loss of game performance.

Usually my 13700k isnt crazy on power in games, but spice wars definitely was showing it up on my power scheme thats similar to the stock balanced hardware p-states profile.

I did expose Joules in the past, people didn't understand it, which is why I'm now listing "Cinebench Points per Watt" for efficiency

That graph is interesting, it seems to indicate when you factor in the productivity gains (without your manual OC) its not terribly far behind AMD on points per watt.

So the graphs that look pretty bad seem to be lighter load stuff which is perhaps highlighting the over aggressive behaviour of how rapid voltages and clocks rise on these chips.

Playing youtube e.g. unless I tame the chip via custom power scheme, my 13700k clocks to 5.4ghz and is at 1.32v whilst the video is playing, consuming about twice as much as my 9900k did to do the same thing and almost 3x as much as my 5600G (with XFR disabled).

Combination of undervolting and putting a leash on the settings that control the clock speed ramp up's can have a huge impact, but it is actually quite a challenge to make a profile that eg. makes youtube power efficient whilst also not giving noticeable interactive experience regressions. Things that consume constant CPU steadily its better to tame the chip, but things that require a very short burst of performance like displaying a UAC prompt, will appear slower when chip ramp up is tamed.

Since these chips are hybrid though one can e.g. keep the e-core clocks down, and use them for things like twitch and youtube, to keep power usage down, whilst still allowing p-cores to flex for interactive stuff. I expect Intel with all their software stuff they working on to do things like this in coming years.

I was expecting more saltiness from @Wizzard for making him do an entire review cycle for what is basically just the 13900KS he's already reviewed ;)
Its content and revenue for him. :) He touched upon this on the unboxing thread.

This option has existed for several years now. At least since 12th gen. Maybe not all motherboards expose it.

It makes my life much easier because I don't have to worry so much about thermal throttling around 100°C, which would invalidate test results just because my cooling is not good enough
I think I would prefer if you did tests at the specified temperature limit, I wouldnt concern yourself if Intel produce a poor product that requires insane levels of cooling. Also not sure why you think thermal throttling would invalidate the test, thermal throttling is what end users will have to deal with on these chips in certain situations so will be a fair test.

As I do consider 115C performance figures as potentially misleading. Especially if its already on a workbench and not in a case which already is helping the review.

I dont think your job is to get as good a score as possible.

Maybe some clarification on how much this affected the results? Looking at the temp graph it seems in blender your chip at stock was below 100C anyway, so maybe only affecting the OC and power limit removed results?

Thats my small opinion on this.

On my 690 board it is exposed, and was actually defaulted to 110C by ASRock on their initial bios. (later bios corrected it to 100C).

Last edited:

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Maybe some clarification on how much this affected the results? Looking at the temp graph it seems in blender your chip at stock was below 100C anyway, so maybe only affecting the OC and power limit removed results?
It's not affecting results in any way. If the CPU throttles during my testing I'm testing it wrong, and I need to bring bigger cooling, i.e. an AIO. Increasing the temp limit makes life easier for me, because I can use the cooling that I have been using for a long time. Intel does not boost depending on temperature like AMD

tommys

7950x3d (price/performance/features/probable cpu ugrade path)
Are we reading the same reviews and seeing the same numbers?
7950x3d performs around a 13700k in games and slightly below 14700k in multicore, it's a very irresponsible recommendation for an almost $700 chip.
There's a $300 price difference with a 13700k and $240 with a 14700k, which is way more than enough for a balls to the walls motherboard pick if and when the user finally decides to upgrade in the future.

If those are the prices there, true, in fact i5 are usually the best value processors, and i7 give you that extra punch.
Here the difference is about 150€. And a RTX4080 is still around 1250€. Guess what.

Note that I stated ""unlimited" consumer budget". That is what i9 is about.
If is not the case I made a line about it. Even for pure productivity cases where all-cores are 90-100% 24/7 are common tasks I would even go for a 7950x 7900x or 7900 if power is a problem (bill, UPS limit or cooling) in the case of AMD. And yes even i5 and i7 not only of gen 14th but maybe 13th depending on the price.
But then I miss two points: first, I wouldn't choose the i9 either. Second, I have a budget restriction.

The problem with productivity averaging is mixing (making the average) with the same weight: mp3 encoding, word, excel, and video encoding for example. Which are tasks requiring different ammounts of time. You open a word in seconds (even a 450 pages full of cross reference text). You render a song in minutes, you render a video in hours or days. You can be simulating or routing something for a week.
Where do you get the value in that averaging? More than that, in the scienfitic / technical domain again AVX512 is more important that many of those tests reflect. I also consider cooling, and power bill, pciex distribution and more important AM5 will have a probable refresh in the future in terms of cpus. Intel platform won't. That I why I would recommend an amd cpu for many of productivity/gaming 70/30% or higher ratio (higher prod) the 79503d or the 7950.
Thats what I liked about w1zzards conclusions regarding all these matters. Except averaging, which is a personal concern: averages are dangerous and missleading and require extra information or context to really mean something.

Most people looking for mixed scenarios don't realize that they don't even make that cpu work at 100% for hours (only in their imagination) and the gaming route is the way to go.
I consider "productivity tasks", tasks where the cpu save you actual time, i.e. all cores up for minutes or hours. Doing 100 montecarlo 10% faster a day will probably save you time. Opening 2 words 20 seconds earlier or encoding a song 40 seconds faster wont. Rendering a PS image in 45 seconds instead of 60 won't save you time. Ending a video IA enhance in 10h instead of 12h will. Faster recompiles will do it if you compile big chunks, but in small compiles, even 50 a day those 20 seconds are nothing compared to the time you spend looking at stackoverflow for debugging help.

As a sideline what I would really like to know is how well perform AMD vs. Intel when you simultaneously have a all-core cpu in the background and you want to play in the foreground, which is what I actually do.

Last edited:

tommys

But that's what I was referring to? Unlimited consumer budget, the 7950X is the best pick for someone who purely wants computational power, and the 7800X3D is the best pick for someone who purely wants gaming performance, but the 7950X3D is a bad pick that does neither all that well compared to its competitors.
And I wasn't talking about productivity averages but pure multicore, the points that matter to me: X265 encoding, because no one uses AV1 yet and no one uses X264 anymore. You might have other uses, but I'm having trouble finding multicore use cases that the 7950X3D excels at.

System Name Mean machine
Processor 12900k
Motherboard MSI Unify X
Cooling Noctua U12A
Memory 7600c34
Video Card(s) 4090 Gamerock oc
Storage 980 pro 2tb
Display(s) Samsung crg90
Case Fractal Torent
Audio Device(s) Hifiman Arya / a30 - d30 pro stack
Power Supply Be quiet dark power pro 1200
Mouse Viper ultimate
Keyboard Blackwidow 65%
The 13900k/14900k are capable processors, being within margin of error score vs its competitor while consuming significantly more power is inefficient.

That graph even illustrates that if you were to limit each processor to a similar power usages, raptor lake would still lose by 25-30% at and below 100w.

Raptor Lake is not, say it with me, NOT an efficient architecture. Cherry picking catered benchmarks isn’t even helping your non argument, but you’re free to believe whatever you want.

Again, 13900k, 14900k, raptor lake etc… very capable, NOT efficient.
The 13900k / 14900k is the 2nd most efficient CPU. I don't understand how anyone that isn't a rapid fan of a specific company can call them inefficient. That's absurdly wrong. If you care about MT efficiency then don't run blender or cinebench on a loop at 6ghz with 4096 power limit. The 13900k hits around 32k CBR23 at 125 watts. Calling that inefficient is just delusional

.... The 13900k hits around 32k CBR23 at 125 watts. Calling that inefficient is just delusional
Right. Unfortunately out of the box and with cooperation of motherboard manufacturers these CPUs run as inefficiently as possible. You need to tweak them to make them nice and efficient.

System Name Mean machine
Processor 12900k
Motherboard MSI Unify X
Cooling Noctua U12A
Memory 7600c34
Storage 980 pro 2tb
Display(s) Samsung crg90
Case Fractal Torent
Mouse Viper ultimate
Keyboard Blackwidow 65%
Right. Unfortunately out of the box and with cooperation of motherboard manufacturers these CPUs run as inefficiently as possible. You need to tweak them to make them nice and efficient.
Most stuff run really inefficient out of the box. My TV was running at max brightness , my AC was on turbo, fridge was running -20c on the freezer. I had to tune all of them. Who cares?

Cliff Bungalow

Hi, new to TPU forum.

I have a question about the graphs: I am interested in power consumption and temps for CPUs running at idle, or near idle (i.e. MS office, web surfing, youtube, etc), since that is what the CPU is spending most of it's time doing (at least mine).

Which graph would correspond to this usage?

(for GPU reviews, TPU has always had a separate 'temp at idle' graph that I've always found useful. But not for CPU reviews for some reason)

Thanks.

The 13900k / 14900k is the 2nd most efficient CPU. I don't understand how anyone that isn't a rapid fan of a specific company can call them inefficient. That's absurdly wrong. If you care about MT efficiency then don't run blender or cinebench on a loop at 6ghz with 4096 power limit. The 13900k hits around 32k CBR23 at 125 watts. Calling that inefficient is just delusional

Coming from the resident “rabid” intel fan thats pretty rich.

If you care about multithreaded workloads, and you’re going to drop performance from stock by 20% to save on power, you should’ve bought a 7950X; no compromise there. If you bought a 13900k/14900k for specific performance in MT loads, you want the stock performance for the purpose of saving time on whatever that workload is, moronic to otherwise cripple performance to save on power when the alternative would’ve been faster and more efficient.

You two can keep living this weird dream world of yours. For the third time, 13th/14th gen are capable fast cpus, but they are very inefficient.

... For the third time, 13th/14th gen are capable fast cpus, but they are very inefficient.
It should be also noted that due to their monolithic nature, they are are much more efficient than AMD cpus al low load. I just checked and my 14700K, which is a very powerful CPU between 7900X and 7950X idles at 4 watts. What do these CPUs consume when they idle?

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
I have a question about the graphs: I am interested in power consumption and temps for CPUs running at idle, or near idle (i.e. MS office, web surfing, youtube, etc), since that is what the CPU is spending most of it's time doing (at least mine).

Which graph would correspond to this usage?
Good question, temps at idle are basically room temperature plus a few degrees C

unless you seriously dial down the fan curve at which point they are what you're targetting with those RPMs

Power consumption in such light tasks can be read off from the first chart on the power consumption page.

Look for Office or WebXPRT. These are light tasks. Very minimal power consumption, rest of your system will play the bigger role

System Name Mean machine
Processor 12900k
Motherboard MSI Unify X
Cooling Noctua U12A
Memory 7600c34
Storage 980 pro 2tb
Display(s) Samsung crg90
Case Fractal Torent
Mouse Viper ultimate
Keyboard Blackwidow 65%
f you care about multithreaded workloads, and you’re going to drop performance from stock by 20% to save on power, you should’ve bought a 7950X; no compromise there. If you bought a 13900k/14900k for specific performance in MT loads, you want the stock performance for the purpose of saving time on whatever that workload is, moronic to otherwise cripple performance to save on power when the alternative would’ve been faster and more efficient.
A 7950x does not draw 125w but 250w according to nexus. So why would you buy that if you care about efficienfy?

But anyways, that's irrelevant. I don't care what you want to buy, buy whatever the heck you want. I'm saying a 13/14900k is insanely efficient if you don't run at 4096 watts power limits.

It should be also noted that due to their monolithic nature, they are are much more efficient than AMD cpus al low load. I just checked and my 14700K, which is a very powerful CPU between 7900X and 7950X idles at 4 watts. What do these CPUs consume when they idle?
30 to 40

Cliff Bungalow

I'm trying to decide between AMD and Intel, and from what I've been reading so far, it seems Intel runs cooler / draws less power at lower loads and idle than does AMD. But AMD runs cooler and draws less power than Intel at higher loads - (for similar comparably spec'd CPUs).

With AMD you can turn on eco mode with only a small performance hit. Just not sure how it affects idle power and temps compared to Intel.

System Name Mean machine
Processor 12900k
Motherboard MSI Unify X
Cooling Noctua U12A
Memory 7600c34
Storage 980 pro 2tb
Display(s) Samsung crg90
Case Fractal Torent
Mouse Viper ultimate
Keyboard Blackwidow 65%
I'm trying to decide between AMD and Intel, and from what I've been reading so far, it seems Intel runs cooler / draws less power at lower loads and idle than does AMD. But AMD runs cooler and draws less power than Intel at higher loads - (for similar comparably spec'd CPUs).

With AMD you can turn on eco mode with only a small performance hit. Just not sure how it affects idle power and temps compared to Intel.
AMD draws less power at higher loads because they have a lower power limit from the factory. Nothing stops you from lowering power limit on intel as well.

Nothing stops you from lowering power limit on intel as well.
BTW lowering power limit on Intel CPUs is extremely easy, you just choose any limit you want and write it in two places. I believe that you can change the power limit just indirectly for AMD CPUs or choose one or two fixed predermined limits defined in eco mode(s).

I do not tweak the Intel CPUs in any other way than just lowering the power limit.

Well, that is bad, that is the power draw of a huge LED ceiling lamp in my living room. I am more OK with possibly higher power draw of Intel CPUs when I actually do something, than with wasting energy needlesly when I do nothing. And nothing is what I do at my computer most of the time...

Last edited: