• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GPU core 83 and GPU Hotspot 103, anything abnormal?

WickedSick277

Hello guys. i would appreciate any help on my issue.
I see some spikes, but not that much in games.

I've opened and re-pasted CPU and GPU a couple of times, i think i did a not-bad job doing the paste, but during the last repasting I've noticed pink paste(=thermal putty) painted on 4 squares(which i believe are VRAMs of GPU) were not that much. I've tried salvaging them and add a little amount of thermal paste to them. i've marked them with red arrows in my picture.
View attachment 1698761466699.webp
My question is, are those temps ok? GPU core 80-83c and gpu hotspot 100-103c.
do i need to buy a separate thermal pads for those 4 squares? or i can continue with the partially worn out thermal paste?

I turned off cpu turbo boost which you can see it goes around 55c.
My exact laptop model is Nitro5 an515-54, GTX1650 and 9750h for CPU.
View attachment 1698761498783.webp

System Name Shirakami
Processor 7800X3D / 2200 IF & -30 CO
Motherboard Gigabyte B650i AORUS Ultra
Cooling Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX w/ ultra slim 2x120mm fans
Memory 2x24GB Hynix M-Die @ 6000 - 26-35-28-30 - 65k tREFI 1.55 VDD / 1.10 VDDQ / 1.10 SoC
Video Card(s) 6900 XT Reference / -120 mV @ 2.4 GHz
Storage 1 & 2 TB NVMe - 1 TB SATA SSD
Display(s) LG 34GN850 (3440x1440) 160 Hz overclock
Case Lian Li Q58
VR HMD Reverb G2 V2
Software Fedora Linux 40 operating system (daily)
Stacking thermal interface materials like this is definitely not something I would recommend anyone do under any circumstances unless it's a temporary use-case for no longer than a few days. Just as I wouldn't recommend someone uses thermal paste on top of a thermal pad to close the gap - I wouldn't suggest you place thermal paste on top of putty either.

Buy yourself some K5 Thermal Putty - wipe off the old putty & thermal paste you've applied - and try to get a nice even application of it on those VRAM modules (the squares). I wouldn't recommend using thermal pads since the laptop didn't ship with them, especially since we have no idea what the ideal thickness of the pads should be.

WickedSick277

Stacking thermal interface materials like this is definitely not something I would recommend anyone do under any circumstances unless it's a temporary use-case for no longer than a few days. Just as I wouldn't recommend someone uses thermal paste on top of a thermal pad to close the gap - I wouldn't suggest you place thermal paste on top of putty either.

Buy yourself some K5 Thermal Putty - wipe off the old putty & thermal paste you've applied - and try to get a nice even application of it on those VRAM modules (the squares). I wouldn't recommend using thermal pads since the laptop didn't ship with them, especially since we have no idea what the ideal thickness of the pads should be.
Many thanks for your answer, i was in total lost to do what next.
Sure, i will apply thermal material better this time.
The thickness is 1mm i guess, based on reddit and techpowerup topics for my laptop.

Is GPU hotspot 103c even related to those VRAMs without proper thermal material?
I wouldn't mess with my GPU thermal material normally, but this GPU hotspot plus the thermal_cap reason of GPU which is "Thermal" for more than 90% of times, made me think of GPU is probably throttling.
K5 pro isn't available in my region, nor i can order it from amazon. This is middle-east.
Would you still recommend thermal pads under these circumstances? or i should just ignore everything.