• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Premium DisplayPort 2.1 & HDMI 2.1 cables

Do you use premium cables?

• Of course, the video image & audio quality is much higher

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Nope, I only use the cables that come with my devices

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Nope, I buy only the cheapest without caring about the consequences

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters

ARF

There is a difference between a cheap and premium cable?
The pictures are much better. A premium cable gives you images which you can't see with a cheapo cable that comes with your monitor.

High quality 16K premium DP 2.1 cable:

1717322384294.png

High quality 8K premium HDMI 2.1 cable (8K, 4K Ultra HD, 48 Gbps, 8K 60Hz, 4K 120Hz)
Supports Dynamic HDR, DolbyVision, HDR10, 3DVideo, Variable Refresh Rate, AMD FreeSync, nvidia G-Sync, Enhanced Audio Return Channel (eARC), Dolby Atmos, DTS:X:

1717322466772.png

Last edited:

ARF

Speaking of cables and ports, why do they prefer to use low-quality DP 1.4 with DSC instead of high-quality DP 2.0 or DP 2.1 without DSC ?

:banghead:

System Name His & Hers
Processor R7 5800X/ R7 7950X3D Stock
Motherboard X670E Aorus Pro X/ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Cooling Corsair h150 elite/ Corsair h115i Platinum
Memory Trident Z5 Neo 6000/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Video Card(s) Evga FTW 3 Ultra 3080ti/ Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090
Storage lots of SSD.
Display(s) A whole bunch OLED, VA, IPS.....
Case 011 Dynamic XL/ Phanteks Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime Titanium 1000w/850w
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed/ Logitech G Pro Hero.
Keyboard Logitech - G915 LIGHTSPEED / Logitech G Pro
Imho the better quality cables are only worth it if you need a really long cable or are going in wall and don't have an easy way to replace it otherwise my audioquest hdmi cables are indistinguishable from my cheaper Rocketfish ones.

As far as DP 2.1 it's probably too expensive to implement and currently there are no gpus fast enough for it to matter at least for gaming. GIGABYTE has a monitor with it that came out recently.

I'm not saying you are but a lot of people confuse DSC with Chroma subsampling the difference is night and day with DSC almost impossible to tell a difference in quality.

Last edited:
System Name Sunk Cost Fallacy
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock B650E Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 6000 CL30 (A-Die)
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio
Storage WD Black SN850X 1TB + 2x 2TB, 2x 4TB Crucial MX500, 4TB Samsung 870 Evo.
Display(s) Alienware AW2723DF, LG 27GR93U, LG 27GN950-B
Case Streacom BC1 V2
Audio Device(s) Bose Companion Series 2 III, Sennheiser GSP600 and HD599 SE - Creative Soundblaster X4
Power Supply bequiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500w Titanium
Mouse Logitech GPRO X Superlight & G502 X
Keyboard Corsair K65 RGB Mini, Razer Black Widow V3 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
how are you supposed to increase the "quality" of a digital signal?
either it works or it does not.

ARF

When there is a bottleneck, there appears micro-stuttering (less FPS/Hz), and loss of colour depth.

Imho the better quality cables are only worth it if you need a really long cable or are going in wall and don't have an easy way to replace it otherwise my audioquest hdmi cables are indistinguishable from my cheaper Rocketfish ones.

As far as DP 2.1 it's probably too expensive to implement and currently there are no gpus fast enough for it to matter at least for gaming. GIGABYTE has a monitor with it that came out recently.

I'm not saying you are but a lot of people confuse DSC with Chroma subsampling the difference is night and day with DSC almost impossible to tell a difference in quality.

Some people promise that with the introduction of nvidia's RTX 5000 series cards, things will change, and the monitor makers will begin to implement DP 2.1.
The YouTube test is not done properly, you can't make a comparison with 8K videoclip, but rather you should compare games running at 4K at 300 FPS, at 400 FPS, and then see how the lower standard cable introduces artifacts, lower bit depth and micro-stuttering.

System Name His & Hers
Processor R7 5800X/ R7 7950X3D Stock
Motherboard X670E Aorus Pro X/ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Cooling Corsair h150 elite/ Corsair h115i Platinum
Memory Trident Z5 Neo 6000/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Video Card(s) Evga FTW 3 Ultra 3080ti/ Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090
Storage lots of SSD.
Display(s) A whole bunch OLED, VA, IPS.....
Case 011 Dynamic XL/ Phanteks Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime Titanium 1000w/850w
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed/ Logitech G Pro Hero.
Keyboard Logitech - G915 LIGHTSPEED / Logitech G Pro
Some people promise that with the introduction of nvidia's RTX 5000 series cards, things will change, and the monitor makers will begin to implement DP 2.1.
The YouTube test is not done properly, you can't make a comparison with 8K videoclip, but rather you should compare games running at 4K at 300 FPS, at 400 FPS, and then see how the lower standard cable introduces artifacts, lower bit depth and micro-stuttering.

I've only seen it on a G9 OLED in person and it is impossible to tell when it is working it is required to hit 240hz on either display port or HDMI 2.1 on that monitor.

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
as long as both are up to their equal spec the difference between regular and premium cables is the same difference between holy water and water; it's in your mind not the product

Over here, right where you can't see me !
System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
as long as both are up to their equal spec the difference between regular and premium cables is the same difference between holy water and water; it's in your mind not the product
Yea, that's why I paid over $1K (each) for my last set of 3ft/5,624K DP & HDMI cables.....cause they gots to be moar betta, right ?

said absolutely NOBODY, heeheehee :D

But seriously, sometimes I use the cables that came with my devices, IF they look to be of reasonable quality, otherwise I just get some mid-ranged uGreen's or Anker's off da Zon & move along...

But then again, I'm not into always having the "latest & greatest" thing nor do I need really long lengths, uber-high res or fast-response or super duper color-accurate displays either, so there's that !

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
I've had som oddities going on with DP cables, where they seem to degrade over time and after 2-3 years they need to be swapped out.
This has applied to both bundled cables, no-name cables and high-end stuff like Lindy. Swapping the cable has always solved the problem.
It's very confusing and I have no idea as to why this is happening, as the cables have been pretty static when in use.

I would say that the thing that matters is to buy certified cables these days, as a lot of stuff out of the PRC make big claims which often aren't met, especially on the cheaper end of the scale.

As for the video, I didn't hear him mention the fact that the DP 2.1 cables with the length he's talking about have to be active cables. He also doesn't explain why Gigabyte provides the cable they provide, due to that being the length limit for passive DP 2.1 cables. Not what I expected from him.

Also, this poll needs another option for buying certified cables, but nothing fancier than that.

Speaking of cables and ports, why do they prefer to use low-quality DP 1.4 with DSC instead of high-quality DP 2.0 or DP 2.1 without DSC ?

:banghead:
There is no difference in testing, so now it's up to you to bring proof of your claim.

Well, if you watched the video, it's not quite true, you can get glitchy issues with digital display interfaces.
Yes, you can't get better or worse quality, but you can still have situations where it sort of works.

Last edited:

ARF

I've had som oddities going on with DP cables, where they seem to degrade over time and after 2-3 years they need to be swapped out.
This has applied to both bundled cables, no-name cables and high-end stuff like Lindy. Swapping the cable has always solved the problem.
It's very confusing and I have no idea as to why this is happening, as the cables have been pretty static when in use.

Corrosion?

I would say that the thing that matters is to buy certified cables these days, as a lot of stuff out of the PRC make big claims which often aren't met, especially on the cheaper end of the scale.

As for the video, I didn't hear him mention the fact that the DP 2.1 cables with the length he's talking about have to be active cables. He also doesn't explain why Gigabyte provides the cable they provide, due to that being the length limit for passive DP 2.1 cables. Not what I expected from him.

2 metres should be enough...

There is no difference in testing, so now it's up to you to bring proof of your claim.

This Gigabyte 4K 240 Hz has the full-speed DP 2.1 port:

1717855639409.png

Well, if you watched the video, it's not quite true, you can get glitchy issues with digital display interfaces.
Yes, you can't get better or worse quality, but you can still have situations where it sort of works.

Digital is definitely not just white or black, or 1 or 0, there are levels in-between:

1717855728403.png

Case fancier than yours
Good luck finding a cable not made in the PRC. We made Apple certified cables years ago, every factory in the PRC is apple certified until you ask for the paper work and it becomes "oh we use another factory's license".

A google engineer used to run a spreadsheet on USB-C cables that either met or failed to meet their spec (the cables spec not googles). Even some expensive cables turned out to just be cost cutting cheap one dressed up.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Good luck finding a cable not made in the PRC. We made Apple certified cables years ago, every factory in the PRC is apple certified until you ask for the paper work and it becomes "oh we use another factory's license".

A google engineer used to run a spreadsheet on USB-C cables that either met or failed to meet their spec (the cables spec not googles). Even some expensive cables turned out to just be cost cutting cheap one dressed up.
There's a difference between made in the PRC and sold by the likes of (random names from Amazon) DteeDck, BENFEI, IVANKY, Warrky, ANNNWZZD or DCHAV to buying Amazon Basics, Monoprice, Ugreen, Club 3D or some other established brand. The latter will have proper certifications and you will get a replacement if it it doesn't work. Buy from the random letter combination PRC companies and you might just have thrown your money away.

Reading the reviews on Amazon on some of these brands, it's clear they don't deliver, especially with regards to UHBR cables, as people are having issues with some of the claimed UHBR20 cables using DP 1.4.

Also, a lot of cable manufacturers are actually moving to Vietnam, due to many of their customers asking for non PRC cables. Some high-end cables, like active, optical cables, are made in Taiwan.

I'm by no means suggesting people should buy Monster Cables or even Belkin to be honest, but rather to stick to known brands. I have bought plenty store brand cables and some have been great, others have failed in a couple of days, especially early USB 3.0 cables.

The only "big brand" cables I've ever bought are some cables from Lindy and even their DP cable started having issues after a few years. Not sure if that was down to the climate in Taiwan or what, but my experience with DP cables is that they last 2-3 years before they start to cause glitches and swapping the cable for a new one always solves the problem. I also have some Avier branded HDMI cables, but they're reasonably priced and I mainly bought them due them being slim cables and so far they've been really decent.

Case fancier than yours
Also, a lot of cable manufacturers are actually moving to Vietnam, due to many of their customers asking for non PRC cables. Some high-end cables, like active, optical cables, are made in Taiwan.
Could also just be last leg finishing there to avoid important issues & taxes.
There's a difference between made in the PRC and sold by the likes of (random names from Amazon) DteeDck, BENFEI, IVANKY, Warrky, ANNNWZZD or DCHAV to buying Amazon Basics, Monoprice, Ugreen, Club 3D or some other established brand.
Definitely stick to the name brand over the 1688.com special but that's getting harder each day on Amazon

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Could also just be last leg finishing there to avoid important issues & taxes.
Yeah no, the factories are moving there, same for a lot of other things. I was busy sourcing cables for a company last year around this time and most of the companies I talked to were either working with factories outside of the PRC or had moved their own factories outside of the PRC, of which most were in Vietnam, but some in Taiwan and Malaysia a well.
Definitely stick to the name brand over the 1688.com special but that's getting harder each day on Amazon
Agreed, way too many random letter name companies on Amazon these days.

ARF

Well, funnily Amazon Basics is also Made in China, but according to the specifications of the standard, the lowest possible production cost that still meets the requirements, and doesn't cut the costs further, so that the end product becomes a real non-sense.
Monster looks good, Belkin should definitely be good, Ugreen, Reagle, Monoprice, Club 3D...

The thing is that when you buy a cable, you must look for the necessary warranty, which in Europe is at least 2-year.

Moving the production to countries which don't have the copper resources is unnecessary, and won't fix anything.

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple proprietary M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple proprietary M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary onboard 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Sonoma 14.5 (with latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12 Pro. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
I'm by no means suggesting people should buy Monster Cables or even Belkin to be honest, but rather to stick to known brands. I have bought plenty store brand cables and some have been great, others have failed in a couple of days, especially early USB 3.0 cables.
These cables have really gone through an evolution over time as today's interconnects often require decent build quality to provide advertised performance. Twenty years ago, an HDMI cable didn't matter. If it worked, it was good enough because the HDMI specs were so low. Only idiots bought Monster Cables in 2004.

Today's HDMI cables are moving a *LOT* more data and many of the no-name products are unreliable when pushed to higher performance limits.

These days if you see a cable from a well known brand that's only a dollar or two more than a no-namer, it's probably better to buy the branded product. They have a reputation to maintain.

That said, if I'm having problems deciding, I'll typically look for something from Monoprice, maybe Amazon Basics or one of the brands that Apple's online store would carry.

Another thing I do these days is occasionally buy an overspec-ced cable (if it's only a couple of dollars more), like one rated for 8K/60Hz even if my best components only support 4K/120Hz. I've spent enough time juggling marginal interconnects and debugging connection issues. Saving $2 on an HDMI cable isn't worth the hassle in the long run. It's not like I'm buying a thousand of these.

ARF

These cables have really gone through an evolution over time as today's interconnects often require decent build quality to provide advertised performance. Twenty years ago, an HDMI cable didn't matter. If it worked, it was good enough because the HDMI specs were so low. Only idiots bought Monster Cables in 2004.

Interesting. Were those cables Made in the US back then?

BTW, back in 2004 HDMI was in early beta testing of the technology. I don't remember using HDMI that early. At that time, other standards dominated, DVI, VGA, SCART, RCA etc...

Last edited:

Ruru

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero
Cooling Arctic Freezer 50
Memory 48GB Kingston DDR4-3200C16
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce RTX 3080 TUF OC 10GB
Storage ~3TB SSDs + 3TB external HDDs
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518 + Asus TUF P1 mousepad
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis
I don't go for the cheapest but also not for the overpriced stuff either. A basic good quality cable spec'd for 8K has been enough so far.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 9950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024
If it's rated by Displayport or HDMI forum to do what it says, it's good. Do not overspend, digital cables either work, or fail. There is no "better picture." If you get pixelation or stuttering that's a fail too, btw. A good picture will not improve with a more expensive cable.

Also, hdmi forum certifies by entire completed cable length rather than just a short cable segment. One of the few places they are better than Displayport.

Last edited:

ARF

If it's rated by Displayport or HDMI forum to do what it says, it's good. Do not overspend, digital cables either work, or fail. There is no "better picture." If you get pixelation or stuttering that's a fail too, btw.

Also, hdmi forum certifies by entire completed cable length rather than just a short cable segment. One of the few places they are better than Displayport.

The Amazon customers don't think so.

1717874840596.png

1717874880177.png

1717874958335.png

1717875113549.png

1717875146424.png

1717875192301.png

1717875220269.png

System Name Sleepy Painter
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus TuF Gaming X570-PLUS/WIFI
Cooling FSP Windale 6 - Passive
Memory 2x16GB F4-3600C16-16GVKC @ 16-19-21-36-58-1T
Video Card(s) MSI RX580 8GB
Storage 2x Samsung PM963 960GB nVME RAID0, Crucial BX500 1TB SATA, WD Blue 3D 2TB SATA
Display(s) Microboard 32" Curved 1080P 144hz VA w/ Freesync
Case NZXT Gamma Classic Black
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1
Power Supply Rosewill 1KW on 240V@60hz
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legend
Keyboard Red Dragon K552
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC 1809 17763.1757
Disingenuous poll options.
I use 'premium' DP and/or HDMI cables for signal integrity and build quality/durability.

I also do not pay premium prices, preferring Open Box deals, Lightly Used secondary market options, and liquidation/clearance. My last purchases were Club3D and CableMatters New Old Stock cables.

While I don't want to argue about the minutiae, there is more to 'digital' links than "it work, or it don't".
Personally, I've seen/experienced issues with poor EMC; drop-outs from ESD, RFI, etc.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 9950X
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
That's called placebo effect my friend. Or they had a fail cable.

I don't want to argue about the minutiae, there is more to 'digital' links than "it work, or it don't".
Personally, I've seen/experienced issues with poor EMC; drop-outs from ESD, RFI, etc.
Personally, its a fail if the picture is doing anything other than exact intended behavior.

Storage 2x Samsung PM963 960GB nVME RAID0, Crucial BX500 1TB SATA, WD Blue 3D 2TB SATA
Keyboard Red Dragon K552
I'd trust Linus over random Amazon reviews, for technical knowledge and self-awarenesses. :laugh:

If Cable B. genuinely *looks* better than Cable A.
That means Cable A. was losing data, or handshaking a lower bit-depth, etc. ie, Cable A. was defective (or fraudulently sold)

Related: there's so many cables sold on Amazon built to look like they're 'premium quality' but are often crap or re-brand lower spec cables.
Sadly, some of these 'import brand' cables are actually "certified" but, are rebranded with no reference to the ODM (which, is listed-certified).
It's a wild west world when it comes to HDMI, DP, and USB cables on Amazon/eBay. I prefer to stick to 'known brands' just to avoid all that.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 9950X
I'd trust Linus over random Amazon reviews, for technical knowledge and self-awarenesses. :laugh:

If Cable B. genuinely *looks* better than Cable A.
That means Cable A. was losing data, or handshaking a lower bit-depth, etc. ie, Cable A. was defective (or fraudulently sold)

Related: there's so many cables sold on Amazon built to look like they're 'premium quality' but are often crap or re-brand lower spec cables.
Sadly, some of these 'import brand' cables are actually "certified" but, are rebranded with no reference to the ODM (which, is listed-certified).
It's a wild west world when it comes to HDMI, DP, and USB cables on Amazon/eBay. I prefer to stick to 'known brands' just to avoid all that.
If you want some "safe brands" I have had good luck with cablematters, club3d, and Monoprice.

Keyboard Red Dragon K552
If you want some "safe brands" I have had good luck with cablematters, club3d, and Monoprice.
I don't trust Monoprice for DP and HDMI, anymore. Otherwise 100% agreed.

My last DP 2.0 cable(s) and mDP-DP2.0 cable were Club3D and CableMatters; good build quality and seemingly better 'construction and signal integrity' than my older in-box-included and Monoprice DP1.4 cables.

From what I've gathered, Club3D is an actual Premium Brand for PC display cables. Full Retail, they're spendy but, often found on sale after on the market awhile.