• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS ROG Keris II Ace

pzogel

Reviewer
The right-handed ergonomic ROG Keris II Ace comes with ASUS's latest 42,000 CPI AimPoint Pro sensor, along with 8000 Hz wired and 4000 Hz wireless polling. Up to 107 hours of battery life are cited in 2.4 GHz wireless operation, and even more using Bluetooth. The 54 g weight is achieved using a solid-shell design, and optical switches are used for the main buttons.

Show full review

System Name Commercial towing vehicle "Nostromo"
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard X570 Unify
Cooling EK-AIO 360
Memory 32 GB Fury 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) 4070 Ti Eagle
Storage SN850 NVMe 1TB + Renegade NVMe 2TB + 870 EVO 4TB
Display(s) 25" Legion Y25g-30 360Hz
Case Lian Li LanCool 216 v2
Audio Device(s) Razer Blackshark v2 Hyperspeed / Bowers & Wilkins Px7 S2e
Power Supply HX1500i
Mouse Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition
Keyboard Scope II 96 Wireless
Software Windows 11 23H2 / Fedora w. KDE
Compared to the Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition - is the right button also a bit stiff to press down?
I find these ROG micro switches a bit odd - or is it the shell construction?

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
Is the AimPoint Pro an actually self-developed sensor like the HERO for Logi or is it just a 3395 in a funny hat, as it usually goes? Come to think of it, are there ANY high-performance optical sensors apart from Pixart and Logi even left?

pzogel

Reviewer
Compared to the Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition - is the right button also a bit stiff to press down?
I find these ROG micro switches a bit odd - or is it the shell construction?
The switches are different, and not nearly as stiff. The shell rigidity is comparable between the two.

Is the AimPoint Pro an actually self-developed sensor like the HERO for Logi or is it just a 3395 in a funny hat, as it usually goes? Come to think of it, are there ANY high-performance optical sensors apart from Pixart and Logi even left?
It is a PixArt-based design, though I'm unsure whether it is 3395 or 3950-based. The glass-tracking capabilities support the latter assumption, the jitter levels the former.

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
@pzogel
I seem to remember Razer having dibs for two years on the 3950, no? I don’t recall if the period of exclusivity has ended or not yet.

Asus needs to rethink pricing - I'm genuinely curious who is the demographic for their mice at these prices when there are so many better alternatives.

Shitsus seems to be castrating their ROGarbage products as well, their previous mice had user replaceble switches this seems to have done away with it.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Thanks for the review but I think I'm getting bummed out by the sheer quantity of overpriced mice being covered.

I just had a quick check and the cheapest mice you've reviewed in the last 20 reviews were $50, and the majority of them are $100 or more.

Asus, Corsair, Gigabyte, Logitech, MSI, Razer, Steelseries - all of these companies make wired mice in the sub-$50 range that, based on Amazon review numbers outsell these high end mice by multiple orders of magnitude. I do understand that manufacturers want to send you their flagship products, but for the same reason we don't all game on RTX 4090s, very few people are buying $159.99 mice.

So, uh, polite request from someone who is tired of reading flagship mouse reviews, can we have a few reviews for the masses, too?

Thanks!

pzogel

Reviewer
So, uh, polite request from someone who is tired of reading flagship mouse reviews, can we have a few reviews for the masses, too?

Thanks!
I fully understand that sentiment. Next two reviews at least will be of some more reasonably priced releases.

The black plunger middle mouse button, while I don't know the durability, my experience with other mice tell me, chance of it dying within the year are pretty high. Pretty bad for a mouse in this price range.

After all it's the second most used button, at least for me.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
The black plunger middle mouse button, while I don't know the durability, my experience with other mice tell me, chance of it dying within the year are pretty high. Pretty bad for a mouse in this price range.

After all it's the second most used button, at least for me.
Agreed. Mouse3 is a very important button and it annoys me that some companies cheap out on mouse3, mouse4, and mouse5 button switches.

A long time ago I had a lovely, near-perfect Logitech G9x that was ruined by a nasty, stiff mouse3 button press. I RMA'd it thinking it was defective because it was so stiff (actuation force needed was 10-20x more than left/right click) and the replacement was exactly the same. I sold it as a new mouse in box on ebay because mouse3 being shit is (and always will be) a total dealbreaker for me :(

Kosie

Thanks for the review, fantastic and informative like always. I was just wondering, are the switches easily swapped or are they soldered onto the PCB? I have the mouse but do find these switches quite loud and annoying to be honest so was thinking of swapping them out for something a bit quieter. Thanks!

pzogel

Reviewer
Thanks for the review, fantastic and informative like always. I was just wondering, are the switches easily swapped or are they soldered onto the PCB? I have the mouse but do find these switches quite loud and annoying to be honest so was thinking of swapping them out for something a bit quieter. Thanks!
Easily switched, as they're merely clipped onto the PCB, but you'd have to find a compatible optical switch to replace them.

Kosie

Awesome thank you. Did some more research and found that the compatible switches are the Raesha or LK ones (same ones Razer mice use). Just incase anyone else was interested :)