• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD FX Making a Comeback, to Challenge Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
I don't care about the cause behind performance deficits. it very simply is a deficit, and no explanation will make the performance different go away. I know very simply that a large part of the difference in bios perforamcne is either AGESA code changes, or subtimings. But neither is going to fix the performance gap.

And yes, I did link NOT the wrong graph. the fact of the matter is that I could NOT get the same speeds on AMD as I do on Intel, with the exact same sticks. But the link is there with 2000mhz numbers, anyway.

Anyway, the important part if that if the new FX parts are to compete with Intel's Extreme line(and notice, not the "K" line of unlocked cpus), memory performance, for me, must be equal or better.

You don't have to defend AMD on this...thier memory control sucks. If you want exacty compares, toss up some 1600mhz CAS 6 numbers, and I'll do the same, and we will see what the actual difference is, if you like. I mean, I could toss up my own screenshots...I do ahve many. but I'd rather post info from outside sources.

Yes, of course.

Multi-gpu rendering requires more system memory bandwidth, and hence Intel out-performing AMD with Crossfire.

I very specifically need it. So that thier CPUs can support thier GPUs like the competition does. Agasin, these are my own needs..not the needs of everyone.

cdawall is the only one trying to tell me that AMD is sufficient to meet my needs, when it's not. :laugh:

Dave....take your medicine. You are foaming at the mouth and your typing is becoming erratic. Let the children play.

New memory control will be better, but actual performance is yet to be seen as the only released info compares their 1866 dual Channel to an i7 Triple channel at 1066. That was a BS comparison.

System Name Jaguar X
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-E Gaming WiFi
Cooling Corsair H150 RGB
Memory 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 4080 Gaming OC
Storage 1TB Kingston KC3000 + 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus
Display(s) LG C1
Case Cougar Panzer EVO RGB
Power Supply XPG Core Reactor 850W
Mouse Cougar Minos XT
Keyboard Cougar Ultimus RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro
I expect another HD6900 vs GTX 580 type of failure. By the time Bulldozer will be on the market, Intel will be riding on Sandy's back.
I hope I'm wrong though.

I don't get it!

When GTX480/470 was out, people didn't say it was a failure, just that Nvidia needed time to perfect the design and they were right. But now, HD6900 is out and everyone, including AMD users, says it's a failure, I don't see how this can be fair. HD6900 design is not flawed by any means, this time though, AMD was taken by surprise and wasn't ambitious enough.

AMD doesn't need to be the king of the hill to be competitive, what matters the most is to deliver sufficient and efficient performance for less, AMD has always competed in pricing (of course there are exceptions). I don't care if Bulldozer can match a $1000 i7 980X but, let's say, it can give 75% of its performance for $600, then we have a winner.

CDdude55

Crazy 4 TPU!!!
System Name CDdude's Rig!
Processor AMD Athlon II X4 620
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Cooling Corsair H70
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence @1600mhz
Video Card(s) XFX HD 6970 2GB
Storage OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD/WD Velociraptor 300GB
Display(s) ASUS VH232H 23" 1920x1080
Case Cooler Master CM690 (w/ side window)
Audio Device(s) Onboard (It sounds fine)
Power Supply Corsair 850TX
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1
I don't get it!

When GTX480/470 was out, people didn't say it was a failure, just that Nvidia needed time to perfect the design and they were right. But now, HD6900 is out and everyone, including AMD users, says it's a failure, I don't see how this can be fair. HD6900 design is not flawed by any means, this time though, AMD was taken by surprise and wasn't ambitious enough..

You've got to be kidding me, not only did people say the GTX 400 series was a failure at launch, but the ridicule has still continued since then. Hell on this site alone you will find a crap load of bashing in the eyes of Fermi.

The 6900's were not a failure imo, they just ended up performing under what the majority expected. The cards design and functionality are perfectly fine unlike the issues with Fermi, it's just that they failed to deliver on most peoples expectations, hence making it a failure to most.

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
just because the intel has more MB/s in memory speed doesnt mean its faster for most applications, however.

Heck aid64 is the end all of memory performance did you forget?

System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
You've got to be kidding me, not only did people say the GTX 400 series was a failure at launch, but the ridicule has still continued since then. Hell on this site alone you will find a crap load of bashing in the eyes of Fermi.

The 6900's were not a failure imo, they just ended up performing under what the majority expected. The cards design and functionality are perfectly fine unlike the issues with Fermi, it's just that they failed to deliver on most peoples expectations, hence making it a failure to most.
I agree 100%. I am one among many in TechPowerUp that helped make people aware of Fermi's major issues. NVIDIA did indeed fix most of Fermi’s issues to a certain extent, personally I really think NV's CEO shot himself in the foot, if anybody is to blame for Fermi's past and current issues, he's the culprit.

Though I am very glad NVIDIA is still in the game full force with the fastest single GPU card in the industry with AMD holding the crown with its Dual GPU card. I am very happy with my Sapphire Radeon HD 6970’s performance, it obliterates my last setup 2 x HD 4870’s in CrossfireX. That said, I did expect the HD 6970 to be faster, but then again what can we expect with 40nm? AMD definitely did their best in this matter IMO…