• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New Solution For ISPs Makes Home Wi-Fi Network Accessible From Anywhere

System Name Desktop|| Virtual Host 0
Processor Intel Core i5 2500-K @ 4.3ghz || 2x Xeon L5630 (total 8 cores, 16 threads)
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V || Dell PowerEdge R710 (Intel 5520 chipset)
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100 || Stock hotplug fans and passive heatsinks
Memory 4x4gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 || 12x4gb Hynix DDR3 1066 FB-DIMMs
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 760 Gaming Twin Frozr 4GB OC || Don't know, don't care
Storage Hitachi 7K3000 2TB || 6x300gb 15k rpm SAS internal hotswap, 12x3tb Seagate NAS drives in enclosure
Display(s) ViewSonic VA2349S || remote iDRAC KVM console
Case Antec P280 || Dell PowerEdge R710
Audio Device(s) HRT MusicStreamer II+ and Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 || Don't know, don't care
Power Supply SeaSonic X650 Gold || 2x870w hot-swappable
Mouse Logitech G500 || remote iDRAC KVM console
Keyboard Logitech G510 || remote iDRAC KVM console
Software Win7 Ultimate x64 || VMware vSphere 6.0 with vCenter Server 6.0
Benchmark Scores Over 9000 on the scouter
If you are really paranoid you can disable remote LAN access, in which case you only get Internet access when mobile. All this is configurable in the firmware images you can download from our website.
Oh, I like that.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs, 24TB Enterprise drives
Display(s) 55" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Have we forgotten about the lowest IP address and the ability to hijack using available equipment, and man in the middle.

This same idea is how we receive wireless internet with Ubiquiti "bullet" P2P systems with VPN enabled, and most new smart devices support VPN, with their own authentication and encryption setup that seems more secure than WPA/WPA2 (as just an example, however once at the terminating point you can create wifi access points.)

New package for a product, and it seems to be an alternate to using cloud storage whcih already has a foot hold and is a growing market.

Just the question is it cheaper to transmit data twice or more and buy more new hardware, or store data and build software?

System Name HAL
Processor Core i9 13900k @5.8-6.1
Motherboard Z790 Arous master
Cooling EKWB Quantum Velocity V2 & (2) 360 Corsair XR7 Rads push/pull
Memory 2x 32GB (64GB) Gskill trident 6000 CL30 @28 1T
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gigagbyte gaming OC @ +200/1300
Storage (M2's) 2x Samsung 980 pro 2TB, 1xWD Black 2TB, 1x SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) 65" LG OLED 120HZ
Case Lian Li dyanmic Evo11 with distro plate
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350
Software Microsoft Windows 11 x64
Yea people are definitely misunderstanding this..
I think it's a great idea, been hoping to see this for a long time now..

PS: Since when was anyones internet "secure"? lol..

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
I work for Anyfi Networks.

The VPN tunnel carries raw Wi-Fi frames from the visited Wi-Fi router to the home Wi-Fi router. The visited router only acts as an antenna - no traffic is ever terminated there. You can think of the VPN tunnel as a very long antenna cable connecting new antennas to the home router on demand. The visiting user can never access your LAN, your encrypted Wi-Fi or use your IP address on the web.

As a visiting user you will get a public IP address from your home so no one else will get the blame for anything you do on the Internet. The WPA encryption goes all the way from your client device to your home so the owner of the visited router cannot eavesdrop on your data. From the client device point of view, you are at home.

The PR is primarily geared towards ISPs, but the technology as such is available to anyone. If you are comfortable with OpenWrt you can download firmware from http://anyfi.net/getit/firmware for popular consumer Wi-Fi routers and try it out yourself. There is also an FAQ http://anyfi.net/faq.

BTW, "residential gateway" is ISP lingo for the modem/router installed in the subscriber's home.

you still avoided answering my questions on legal liability and bandwidth usage
there is nothing said about the bandwidth usage on the hosting wi fi modem/router installed in the subscriber's home which a guest is accessing who ends up paying that usage bill and how would it affect my isp bandwidth usage and download capping

Important information for potential Host

jatech

you still avoided answering my questions on legal liability and bandwidth usage
there is nothing said about the bandwidth usage on the hosting wi fi modem/router installed in the subscriber's home which a guest is accessing who ends up paying that usage bill and how would it affect my isp bandwidth usage and download capping

Important information for potential Host

You will never be legally liable for what a visiting user does on the Internet since that traffic is not terminated in your home. When the ISP traces the visiting user's IP address they will get the visitors own IP, not yours.

For your other questions please see the FAQ http://anyfi.net/faq.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
Read the FAQ
""Anyfi.net software carefully and constantly measures and prioritizes both bandwidth and spectrum use. Whenever there is a risk that the primary function of the access point (e.g. to provide home Wi-Fi to a residential subscriber) may be impacted by a visiting user the software will automatically throttle the visitor to prevent such impact. We call it spectrum aware traffic prioritization and it's very important, especially when the visitor has a poor radio link and may otherwise consume a lot of spectrum. ""

So they are using my bandwidth and i would be paying for their use of my Bandwidth
with no compensation for my costs

Nice of you to dodge answering my question by referring me to the faq
This Software will never be installed on any equipment i own and i would actively disuade anyone i know from using it or any equipment its installed in

"This Software Steals from the Residential gateway owner"
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Processor Intel i7-8700k @ stock
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro iirc
Memory 16GB Corsair DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1070 FE
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500G NVMe
Display(s) 34" ASUS ROG PG348Q + 28" ASUS TUF Gaming VG289
Case NZXT
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard CoolerMaster Storm XT Stealth
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
As a computer and electronic engineer, I think this is actually a very cool technology. It plays into the whole new cognitive radio paradigm.

I do however understand the problems inherent in that. Most notably the fact that the raw 802.11 frames must travel to the "guest" router in some way - presumably the user's internet connection. Which, due to them being encapsulated in UDP, will be seen by the user's ISP as normal internet traffic - incurring a cost for the PU.

Also, I do not know the exact capabilities of current routers to do spectrum sensing, but I hope the de-prioritizing algorithm is sufficient to ensure the PU's spectrum isn't occupied entirely by SU traffic. That will be disastrous.

Will need to look into the docs to get a full idea of the technology though. ;)

EDIT: Seems the bandwidth issue is resolved the moment SPs buy into this since they can't install anyfi software on their routers unless they implement a service based cost model instead of a data based one.

Last edited:
System Name Desktop|| Virtual Host 0
Processor Intel Core i5 2500-K @ 4.3ghz || 2x Xeon L5630 (total 8 cores, 16 threads)
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V || Dell PowerEdge R710 (Intel 5520 chipset)
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100 || Stock hotplug fans and passive heatsinks
Memory 4x4gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 || 12x4gb Hynix DDR3 1066 FB-DIMMs
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 760 Gaming Twin Frozr 4GB OC || Don't know, don't care
Storage Hitachi 7K3000 2TB || 6x300gb 15k rpm SAS internal hotswap, 12x3tb Seagate NAS drives in enclosure
Display(s) ViewSonic VA2349S || remote iDRAC KVM console
Case Antec P280 || Dell PowerEdge R710
Audio Device(s) HRT MusicStreamer II+ and Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 || Don't know, don't care
Power Supply SeaSonic X650 Gold || 2x870w hot-swappable
Mouse Logitech G500 || remote iDRAC KVM console
Keyboard Logitech G510 || remote iDRAC KVM console
Software Win7 Ultimate x64 || VMware vSphere 6.0 with vCenter Server 6.0
Benchmark Scores Over 9000 on the scouter
EDIT: Seems the bandwidth issue is resolved the moment SPs buy into this since they can't install anyfi software on their routers unless they implement a service based cost model instead of a data based one.
Awesome! I'm in favor of just about anything that gets ISPs to stay away from data-based costs.

Processor Intel i7-8700k @ stock
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro iirc
Memory 16GB Corsair DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1070 FE
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500G NVMe
Display(s) 34" ASUS ROG PG348Q + 28" ASUS TUF Gaming VG289
Case NZXT
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard CoolerMaster Storm XT Stealth
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Awesome! I'm in favor of just about anything that gets ISPs to stay away from data-based costs.

I'm pretty sure the die-hard "pay for data" SPs will just ignore this product and continue with their escapades... :rolleyes:

Like all of the SPs here in South Africa...