• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Samsung to release Universal HD player

Darksaber

Senior Editor & Case Reviewer
Staff member
System Name Meshlicious Monster
Processor Intel Core i5-10600T
Motherboard MSI Z490I Unify
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z53 with 2x Noctua Redux 1300 RPM PWM fans
Memory ADATA 16 GB 3200 Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
Storage TeamGroup 1TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Asus ProArt 27" 1440P, 75Hz
Case ssupd Meshlicious with mesh side panels
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion 660 W Platinum ATX
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro Wireless
Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home
Seoul, Korea - April 13, 2007 - Samsung Electronics Co., LTD., a leader in consumer electronics and digital media technologies, and the first company to introduce a Blu-ray disc player will introduce a dual format High-Definition (HD) optical disc player in time for the holidays.

Samsung's Duo HD player (BD-UP5000) will fully support both HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc formats and their interactive technologies, HDi and BD-Java. With the Duo HD consumers can enjoy additional studio content such as trailers, director's comments, more elaborate interactive menus and behind the scene footage. The new Duo HD joins Samsung's next generation DVD line-up which includes Samsung's second generation Blu-ray player available at retail this month. Together, these two models offer the consumer a strong line of High-Definition players to match Samsung's award winning, and best selling, line of HDTVs.

"We welcome Samsung's Duo HD player as another solution in the marketplace that will help reduce consumer confusion and buyer hesitancy towards HD media," said Ron Sanders, President of Warner Home Video. "This is an innovative product that can move us closer to mainstream consumer adoption of HD technologies."

"We are very pleased to announce the upcoming release of our Duo HD player. Consumers are hungry for more HD content but are currently confused about competing formats. Samsung's Duo HD player will allow consumers access to every HD movie title available regardless of the authoring format. Samsung is committed to making life simpler through technology and will market next generation DVD products which will satisfy the consumer and market requirement. This is a big win for the consumer.

As a member of the DVD Forum and contributor to the DVD Industry, we recognize that both HD-DVD and BD formats have merits. As such, we have decided to market a dual format player. Samsung is flexible to market a stand-alone HD-DVD player whenever consumers demand it. Our main concern is not technology but consumer choice" said Dongsoo Jun, Executive Vice President of the Digital AV Division at Samsung Electronics

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Giletus

Processor Intel-Q6600 2.4 GHZ- QUADCORE
Motherboard Gigabyte-GA-P35-DS3L
Cooling STOCK INTEL COOLER
Memory CORSAIR-XMS2-DDR2-800 2 G.B.
Video Card(s) EVGA-8800GTS-320 M.B. FACTORY OVERCLOCKED
Storage W.D. 160 G.B. SATA-2
Display(s) Dell 19" ultrasharp
Case MONOLITH-2,MID-TOWER
Audio Device(s) SOUNDBLASTER LIVE-24 BIT
Power Supply OCZ- StealthXStream 600 watt
Software WINDOWS XP HOME
Its good to see a multi player,the main reason I have not decided on which type of disk to use was because I was waiting to see which type would be used for the norm.

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Processor E8400 @ 3.80Ghz > Q9650 3.60Ghz
Motherboard Maximus Formula
Cooling D5, 7/16" ID Tubing, Maze4 with Fuzion CPU WB
Memory XMS 8500C5D @ 1066MHz
Video Card(s) HD 2900 XT 858/900 to 4870 to 5870 (Keep Vreg area clean)
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Audio Device(s) X-fi Plantinum
Power Supply Silencer 750
Software XP Pro SP3 to Windows 7
Benchmark Scores This varies from one driver to another.
Yeah but for how much? I was happy for 2 seconds until I realized that this can cost as much as a Blue Ray player for your HDTV. The idea of a dual HD/BR becomes mute real fast when it cost more then $300

jocksteeluk

The 13th room on the 13th floor of the 13th buildi
Processor custom dupont risk chip cpu prototype
Motherboard custom ibm x5 solid state carbon mainboard
Cooling industrial technologies prototype dupont custom heat transfer unit
Memory 6x 2gig prototype ecc hnc ddr4
Video Card(s) prototype low energy version nvidia 9 series unnumberd card
Storage 1tb solid state hdd
Display(s) 44 inch samsung plasma screen tv/monitor
Case custom ibm mobile home server case
Audio Device(s) custom Yamaha sound processing processor in spm format
Power Supply 1200watt deli cord custom made dupont type psu
Software sun unix/windows type v
should manufacturers all make dual HD capable players the battle for the next gen format could be won by which ever consortium creates the best value/ price recordable media, id expect this to go the same way as DVD and DVD-Ram but one thing is for certain the consumer will be the winner since there will be two competing format vying for the same customer.

Zalmann

System Name HP Pavilion dv6
Processor Intel Core i7-2630QM
Memory 8GB (2 x GEIL 4GB DDR3 SO-DIMM C9 1333MHz)
Video Card(s) ATI Mobility Radeon HD6570
Storage 750Gb WD 2.5" WD Scorpio Black
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
This is great. I am expecting the rest of the industry to follow suit over time, just as once upon a time you bought either a DVD+R burner or a DVD-R burner, and the appropriate media, now pretty much all DVD burners support both formats. This will be good result for the every day consumer.

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I was hoping, when the two sides were in talks some time ago, they would reach a consortium of some sort. It would have been nice to see the BD capacity with the HD's current laser manufacturing. This would have led to cheaper initial production and better quality with one format. I'm sure prices wouldn't have sky rocketed either. However, it didn't happen that way and perhaps now, we consumers can profit from this. Competition leads to price cuts and better products. Capitalism at its finest. I'm glad Samsung is bringing a hybrid player to the market. This is great PR for them as its playing to both sides. In case one side is not the heavy seller, it can still make a profit with its players. I love this.