• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

License Agreement Confusion Causes Misinformation over Windows 10 Overreach

System Name Lenovo ThinkCentre
Processor AMD 5650GE
Motherboard Lenovo
Memory 32 GB DDR4
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Mouse Lenovo
Keyboard Lenovo
Software W11 Pro 64 bit
It turns out, that the situation has been grossly misread.

Microsoft Services EULA is the one which states that Microsoft may "prevent you from accessing the Services, playing counterfeit games, or using unauthorized hardware peripheral devices," however, this is not the license that governs your Windows installation. It only pertains to "Microsoft Services" (Windows Store content, Xbox Live, live tiles, etc.) The license governing Windows is the MSLT (Microsoft Software License Terms), and so there won't be a case of Microsoft reaching out to disable pirated software from running on Windows.

Source: Windows Central
Yet this says otherwise:

Microsoft Windows 10 comes with yet another caveat. If you are running any pirated games or counterfeit software on your Windows 10 machine, then according to the latest addition to the End User Licence Agreement terms of conditions Microsoft has the power to remotely uninstall such software.

This statement was spotted by PC Authority in the EULA and lets Microsoft not only disable counterfeit software but also hardware. According to Section 7b or “Updates to the Services or Software, and Changes to These Terms,” part of the Microsoft Services end user license agreement (EULA) it states that, “Sometimes you’ll need software updates to keep using the Services. We may automatically check your version of the software and download software updates or configuration changes, including those that prevent you from accessing the Services, playing counterfeit games, or using unauthorized hardware peripheral devices. You may also be required to update the software to continue using the Services.”

System Name HTPC
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 - 3.00/6M/1333
Motherboard AsRock G31M-GS R2.0
Cooling CoolerMaster Vortex 752 - Black
Memory 4 Go (2x2) Kingston ValueRam DDR2-800
Video Card(s) Asus EN8600GT/HTDP/512M
Storage WD 3200AAKS
Display(s) 32" Irico E320GV-FHD
Case Aerocool Qx-2000
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Enermax NoiseTaker 2 - 465w
Mouse Logitech Wave MK550 combo (M510)
Keyboard Logitech Wave MK550 combo (K350)
Software Win_7_Pro-French
Benchmark Scores Windows index : 6.5 / 6.5 / 5.6 / 6.3 / 5.9
Really? I'd not seen any of those. I've seen a lot of "Sticking with 7, not touching 10 for awhile/ever", but not any bashing 7/loving 10.
You did not watch carefully. On my behalf the reason I dont go for 10 is that my older hardware could probably have compatibility issues. Also the fact that they gather way too much personnal informations.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name White DJ in Detroit
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
System Name HTPC
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 - 3.00/6M/1333
Motherboard AsRock G31M-GS R2.0
Cooling CoolerMaster Vortex 752 - Black
Memory 4 Go (2x2) Kingston ValueRam DDR2-800
Video Card(s) Asus EN8600GT/HTDP/512M
Storage WD 3200AAKS
Display(s) 32" Irico E320GV-FHD
Case Aerocool Qx-2000
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Enermax NoiseTaker 2 - 465w
Mouse Logitech Wave MK550 combo (M510)
Keyboard Logitech Wave MK550 combo (K350)
Software Win_7_Pro-French
Benchmark Scores Windows index : 6.5 / 6.5 / 5.6 / 6.3 / 5.9
This begs the question: Why and how would you come into contact with such opinions?

The guy with tin foil hat told me.

Processor Intel i7-5820K @ 4.5Ghz (1.284v , 25*C)
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty X99X Killer
Cooling NZXT Kraken X61
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 32GB
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC - Blower fan
Case Corsair Carbide Series Air 540
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Corsair TX850
Benchmark Scores Rosewill RHSP-13001: Complete system with dual lcd and peripherals @LOAD ~$35/Mo.
Over the last weekend there's been quite some misinformation doing the rounds, stating that a license agreement you agreed to before upgrading to Windows 10, allows Microsoft to remotely disable pirated software (eg: games, apps). This may have caused fence-sitters on the Windows 10 upgrade to decide to stay on older platforms, and for some to even revert to their older Windows 7 installations. It turns out, that the situation has been grossly misread.

Microsoft Services EULA is the one which states that Microsoft may "prevent you from accessing the Services, playing counterfeit games, or using unauthorized hardware peripheral devices," however, this is not the license that governs your Windows installation. It only pertains to "Microsoft Services" (Windows Store content, Xbox Live, live tiles, etc.) The license governing Windows is the MSLT (Microsoft Software License Terms), and so there won't be a case of Microsoft reaching out to disable pirated software from running on Windows.

Source: Windows Central

LOL! Regardless of the "misinformation" going around.

Guaranteed 110% of those people who "agreed" to some bogus license were FORCED into upgrading and installing the operating system. Microsoft provided the basic consumer ZERO options whether or not they wanted to upgrade.

I essentially had to remove Windows 10 and permanently block service packs from many computers because folks were pissed as hell and wanted to stay with Windows 7 Pro. They purchased it and have a legal right to stick with that version without Microsoft invasively forcing them to install Windows 10. Windows 10 is by far the worst piece of software Microsoft pushed out, yet I thought Windows ME was horrible.... Windows 10 is a total ball of shit and invades the Privacy (and Constitutional Rights) of consumers on every level. However, the basic UI (apart from the worthless 'metro' features) and font scaling is a big improvement from later versions. It's an ok system for folks who are intelligent enough to block and disable specific services and remove certain registry keys to prevent Microsoft's illegal prying eyes and data collection.

Obviously, there will be thousands of Microsoft, <other_internet_conglomerate_here> supporters screaming 'tin hat' etc.. blah b.s., fact is these neanderthals are half of the problem within the developer community. They clearly lack a backbone to stand up for their personal and others rights, let alone they're just too stupid to realize what they're jeopardizing for a mere buck in their wallet.

Lol I hear ya!!

So many ppl complain about W10 and how your privacy is gone, look at Google, face book yadda yadda, Sorry to say but your privacy was gone long before W10 came out. Google knows more about you then you know about yourself ;)

Enjoy W10 and how smooth and fast it is. Gaming for me has shown a nice noticable improvement, I love to bench and yes its faster.. I however am still on the fence, but I have about 2 weeks to go back to 7 but ATM I love 10 and don't think I'll even look back..

Sadly, yes. Yet everyone out there does nothing about it and turn their ignorant cheek. It's much like that dumb woman in the bar wearing Google Glass and she pisses and moans about people standing up for their rights. Hell, if only I were at that bar... Google Glass would meet a 12" bottom of my shoe and that woman wouldn't be able to do a damn thing about it legally. Why, cause I, and millions of others, have Constitutional Rights and she was clearly invading them without remorse.

Wait till we have Google Glass contact lenses... I'd pray that everyone and their grandmother who has a lick of sense carry and ice-pick with them.

Fact is... millennials are the morons destroying our privacy rights. Privacy is both a Natural and Constitutional Right (unless, of course, you're a criminal or invade someones rights without due cause)... anyone who invades that right has what is coming to them.

Last edited: