• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Core i7 "Broadwell-E" Lineup to Feature Four SKUs

Well, maximum of 95w but, yes, essentially, I am asking for extremely power efficient parts. This was one of the reasons I chose to stay away from AMD. And now I am stuck with Nvidia gpu due to CUDA.

Though I am not asking 20 cores at 65w. I am asking 8 cores at maximum of 95w and with igpu. I don't have a need for anything more than 8 cores.

That 140w tdp on a 14nm 6 core in 2016 is ridiculous.

hell I'm all for performance but if semi trucks were getting 60 mpg on a new tech and were able to haul even more and you went to buy a consumer grade truck with the same tech and it got 10mpg wouldn't you be perturbed?

My thoughts exactly. I have a 5820K and it basically runs at same clocks with same cache size and same core count. And they are both 140W despite 68xxK being a 14nm part. 5820K is bloody 22nm. How they both run at 140W then!? One would expect new part to be 120W at least or something...

There's a lot of anger, and rage over a chip here. Can we get a little perspective?

Broadwell, Skylake, and Kaby lake are all going to be based off of 14nm processes. The Intel enthusiast offerings have been one generation behind mainstream for the last couple of years, which means that Broadwell-e will at least be on the same lithography as Skylake.

The TDP is high, though that isn't exactly a concern. Be real here, the TDP is going to mean nothing when people get their hands on these chips. They'll be under water, and OC'd before the first week. Complaining that an enthusiast offering has to high of a TDP is a joke.

This being said, I'm unimpressed. The CPU is clocked the same as a 3930k, with two extra cores. That's not exactly great. Likewise having full SATA III is awesome, but buying 32-64 GB of RAM is just a painful proposition right now. I see why Broadwell-e exists (and I was wrong to state earlier that it would disappear like Broadwell did), but it's not worth it here. Maybe Skylake-e will change that, but I really can't see how Kaby lake versus Skylake-e is going to sway me nearly as much as the AMD offering. Zen vs Kaby lake vs Skylake-e will actually bring something fun to the table. Until then, color me unimpressed.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
It's all about incremental improvements for us now. How much faster will Broadwell-E run than your old SB-E @lilhasselhoffer ? Over the years, there have been tweaks and improvements in IPC, the chipset, and so on... I'm sure even in raw CPU intensive applications it'll be faster. How much faster? Not fast enough to throw any money at, yet...

As others have said, the power draw is disappointing. IMO, it's disappointing because we're looking at improvements in tech, comparing it to previous generations and other tech like huge server chips, and it seems a lot of power draw for what it is. I'm fine with a 140W HEDT chip, but I want the performance to go with it. It just doesn't seem to match up. That said, the 6 core chip and the 10 core chip share the same TDP ratings, though clockspeeds are different...

System Name Current rig
Processor i9-9900k
Motherboard Z390 Aorus Xtreme
Cooling Corsair h150i Pro
Memory 32GB Ripjaws V 3200
Video Card(s) Asus 2090 ti Strix
Storage Samsung 970 Pro 1tb
Display(s) Alienware aw3418dw
Case Thermaltake View 91
Power Supply seasonic 1kw
FUCK! I just built a 6700k rig =[

It's all about incremental improvements for us now. How much faster will Broadwell-E run than your old SB-E @lilhasselhoffer ? Over the years, there have been tweaks and improvements in IPC, the chipset, and so on... I'm sure even in raw CPU intensive applications it'll be faster. How much faster? Not fast enough to throw any money at, yet...

As others have said, the power draw is disappointing. IMO, it's disappointing because we're looking at improvements in tech, comparing it to previous generations and other tech like huge server chips, and it seems a lot of power draw for what it is. I'm fine with a 140W HEDT chip, but I want the performance to go with it. It just doesn't seem to match up. That said, the 6 core chip and the 10 core chip share the same TDP ratings, though clockspeeds are different...

?

You reply that it's a question of incremental performance. Fine. My original response was that the incremental improvements (IPC being an unknown, an additional two cores, and extra connectivity) are underwhelming as yet. I compare it to the 3930k, because that's what I've got. It's an underwhelming improvement, which you seem to agree with me on. Why exactly is this a discussion?

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1

I would argue that as engines start to utilize more threads and become more parallel, that even my "lowely" 3820 wouldn't make a whole lot of difference in a lot of situations over a newer platform. That isn't to say that Broadwell-E is going to offer improvement over SB-E with respect to raw performance but, that SB-E is still perfectly adequate in more situations than not. @lilhasselhoffer is simply saying that in order to justify the cost of upgrading, the performance improvement has to be tangible. HEDT isn't the cheap route, that's for sure but, on the same token I have not been disappointed with it. So it might not be the fastest but, if the CPU is not the bottleneck then why upgrade the platform?

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
@lilhasselhoffer @Aquinus

Basically I'm saying I agree with that, just pointing out that there is something to be had, even if it's not much, especially considering the die shrinks, the raw performance, and the TDP. Again, no problem with a higher TDP on a part like this, but it doesn't seem to balance out with what we gain from it.

FUCK! I just built a 6700k rig =[

Eh, don't worry about that. Folks are holding even SB parts and looking at this and saying 'meh'.

System Name My Rig
Processor AMD 3950X
Motherboard X570 TUFF GAMING PLUS
Cooling EKWB Custom Loop, Lian Li 011 G1 distroplate/DDC 3.1 combo
Memory 4x16GB Corsair DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) MSI Seahawk 2080 Ti EKWB block
Storage 2TB Auros NVMe Drive
Display(s) Asus P27UQ
Case Lian Li 011-Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) JBL 30X
Power Supply Seasonic Titanium 1000W
Mouse Razer Lancehead
Keyboard Razer Widow Maker Keyboard
Software Window's 10 Pro
Sitting on a Devils Canyon waiting for the dust to settle betweek Intel's HEDT 6 Series and the Zen HEDT. Z97 just doesn't have enough PCI-E lanes to go around.

System Name gamingPZ
Processor i7-6700k
Motherboard Asrock Z170M Pro4S
Cooling scythe mugen4
Memory 32GB ddr4 2400mhz crucial ballistix sport lt
Video Card(s) gigabyte GTX 1070 ti
Storage ssd - crucial MX500 1TB
Case silverstone sugo sg10
Power Supply Evga G2 650w
Software win10
8 core @ stock 3,3ghz for 600$ - that is good news... another 6 month to wait - that is bad news... by that time its will be 2 years since haswell-e launch, skylake (not E) alsw took 2 years since last mayor launch - so I guess intels new upgrade period is 2 years not 1