• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hitman Episode Two Update Breaks DirectX 12 Support

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Gotta love low level APIs that give extra couple of frames per second and break game with the next content update ... devs are used to monolithic dx11 where driver knows the hardware so you don't need extensive testing after every content update once the engine is tested enough.
What happened here is a great example of low level api being a double edged sword.

That flies with what I've read about it. You just can't think DX12 is so easy to use that you don't have to bother trying. It still has rules and even the almighty Async comes with guidelines on how to implement it. If it's done with minimal queuing it wont negatively affect Nvidia. If it's balls out Async (AoS) then it will hamper Nvidia.

Again, shoe is on the other foot now and I don't hear people crying foul about AMD GE titles ramping up Async.

However, going forward, if Pascal isn't good enough with Async and AAA's start using it more (thinking Deus Ex) then my next card may well be Vega.

Still too early to tell though. Allwe are seeing is immature implementation of DX12 in quite a lot of titles.

System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
That flies with what I've read about it. You just can't think DX12 is so easy to use that you don't have to bother trying. It still has rules and even the almighty Async comes with guidelines on how to implement it. If it's done with minimal queuing it wont negatively affect Nvidia. If it's balls out Async (AoS) then it will hamper Nvidia.

Again, shoe is on the other foot now and I don't hear people crying foul about AMD GE titles ramping up Async.

However, going forward, if Pascal isn't good enough with Async and AAA's start using it more (thinking Deus Ex) then my next card may well be Vega.

Still too early to tell though. Allwe are seeing is immature implementation of DX12 in quite a lot of titles.
From what I have read, it's all about what happens in a single frame of a game. Best case for nvidia is to batch draw calls and then separately batch async compute commands ... you get parallelism in both separately (but not mixed). Coincidentally that is the worst case scenario for amd. GCN gets best effectiveness if 3D and async compute commands are mixed in the same queue.
Looking at the net result on the level of a whole frame, if done optimally for each architecture, effectiveness should be comparable for both arch. but GCN is certainly easier to code for in this case.
So the issue will be with direct ports from consoles ... as usual, but for nvidia only this time.

corsaro

First image looks whose then Far Cry 2004! images.jpeg

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals