• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Unveils ROG XG2 Graphics Enclosure

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
ASUS unveiled a Republic of Gamers branded XG2 external graphics enclosure, which uses bandwidth from two USB 3.1 ports to power not just a high-end graphics card, but also additional connectivity such as a pair of USB 3.0 type-A ports, and gigabit Ethernet. One source tells us that the USB 3.1 ports are bi-directional, and can be used to increase bandwidth to the enclosure. A single Thunderbolt 3 port provides the same amount of bandwidth, but is known to post higher latencies due to protocol layer.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

My main question for this product is....will it support non-Asus products as well (particularly through TB3 ) ?
If it is a yes, and they can make this product easily available for purchase, plus having cheaper or at least competitive price compared to Razer Core, they really have a winner here.

It's main competition, Razer Core is nice...but for us outside of US....we can't even have our hands on Stealth ( through local Razer Store ), so I can't imagine how long before the Core will be available for the rest of us.

I trust one day to be able to see also some normal product which is not just some fancy looking glorified box with a power supply, with its proper power management board, and that will cost for what is worth, that is far less than the price of a single high end gfx card just for the box alone.

Processor 9700K
Motherboard Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac
Cooling Alpenfohn Black Ridge
Memory 32GB Micron VLP 18ADF2G72AZ-3G2E1
Video Card(s) 3090 FE
Display(s) Samsung G9 NEO
Case Formd T1
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Looks like a pretty crappy design. Those fans (look like server fans) are going to sound like leaf blowers.

Looks like a pretty crappy design. Those fans (look like server fans) are going to sound like leaf blowers.

Which fans are you talking about? I don't see any fans on the enclosure from the pictures.

EDIT : Found it in the second picture. Now I understand.