• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Releases the GeForce 376.33 WHQL Drivers

System Name All Switched Up
Processor Intel Core i9-9900k @ 5.0GHz
Motherboard ASUS Z390 Maximus XI Hero Wi-Fi w/ EK monoblock
Cooling Custom EK Watercooling loop - 2x 360 | 1x 240 Rads
Memory 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 3200MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra w/ EK Quantum Vector Waterblock + Active Backplate
Storage 1x Samsung 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD - 2x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD - 1x Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD
Display(s) Viewsonix XG270QG Elite 1440p x2
Case Lian Li O11Dynamic XL - White
Audio Device(s) ifi Zen CAN/DAC | Mayflower Objective2 + ODAC | Sennheiser HD 6XX | HiFiMan HE-5XX
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P6 Platinum
Mouse Glorious Model O Wireless | Model D
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Pro w/ Holy Panda's
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores yes
Is Folding@home working properly with this release? If not, not going to bother updating..

EDIT: Nevermind.. Just got confirmation that Folding@home WU issues were not fixed with this release. It seems there is a 'hotfix workaround' coming soon to address this issue. We'll see..

Last edited:
I didn't say it's got the exact same rendering engine. It's a development of the original one, so all the SLI/CF issues should have been ironed out. Also, multicard setups have been around for the last 15 years, so it's hardly something new and on top of that, the game's usual price is very expensive. Given all this, you'd expect SLI to work properly. There's no excuse for this poor show in my book.
i cant expect multigpu to work 'properly', or should i say 'max performantly', based on the way modern rendering is done or optimized & its complexity (such as deferred, layers get rendered out of order rather than objects that get lit in sequence, data has to be duplicated back & forth between gpus, frame timing has to be dealt with, so inefficient...), also there are the limitations of dx11 where devs cant make their own sli like dx12/vulkan

i dont know what low level optimization tricks are doable on pc, but when you look at what was done on later ps3 games, they started doing lighting on the cpu in parallel to other things on the gpu, at which point a theoretical sli would be impossible (i know it's a console, but gran turismo had experiments of using multiple ps3s to render multiple screens or corners of a high resolution screen, aka SFR rather than AFR)

nvidia removed more than 2 gpu & low end sli support in their cards, so that's not a good sign

still dont get why the companies havent attempted stitching gpus the way intel made its first quads, it would require more uncore? parts, but wouldnt it be cheaper & less of a hassle than making a new huge chip? the only thing close is cutting down big ones, a 960 appears to be half a 980 in specs if i remember

price shouldnt be a factor, in fact i'd expect cheap games to have more multigpu with the assumption they use older/simpler engines

i'd say there are plenty of grey area excuses, the question is how much we value the difference in rendering techniques or if we should even care when single gpus perform so well on their current games compared to the past

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I think in the end they're just not bothered supporting SLI, because SLI is just not that popular, leading to a downward spiral of popularity and support. That low level SLI support removal you mentioned is very telling of this. @Mussels's thread is an example of yet another person who's given up on it due to problems. I abandoned it a few months ago when I bought my GTX 1080 and haven't looked back. Ironically in my case, the 780 Ti SLI ran out of memory before running out of GPU performance. I could easily max the VRAM in a recent Call of Duty game at 1080p and lose performance from just that,

When you say "stitching together" I think you might mean "ganged together"? This is an idea I had a few years ago and described on TPU. That it hasn't been done as a commercial product is perhaps due to cost and technical issues.

The idea is to design the GPUs so that they can sit next to each other on the same motherboard and be connected directly together, with the two working in tandem as one double-wide GPU. This would have a single pool of RAM too, so none of this wasting of memory and shuffling of data and microstutter nonsense. On top of that, the performance gain would be a perfect 2x just as if the two were a single GPU that's twice as big. In fact, there would be no need to switch off the connection between them as it would have no downsides.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 9950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024
Working fine here.

System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
Tried to use GFE to do this update, crashed GFE for me for some odd reason when it started to setup for install. Tried it again and it worked fine...Not sure what caused it.

As far as the driver goes, works great for me other than that hiccup trying to install it.

System Name Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1050/1080 Ti
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2715Q/4k Internal
Case Razer Core
Audio Device(s) Creative E5/Objective 2 Amp/Senn HD650
Mouse Logitech Proteus Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
I think in the end they're just not bothered supporting SLI, because SLI is just not that popular, leading to a downward spiral of popularity and support. That low level SLI support removal you mentioned is very telling of this. @Mussels's thread is an example of yet another person who's given up on it due to problems. I abandoned it a few months ago when I bought my GTX 1080 and haven't looked back. Ironically in my case, the 780 Ti SLI ran out of memory before running out of GPU performance. I could easily max the VRAM in a recent Call of Duty game at 1080p and lose performance from just that,

When you say "stitching together" I think you might mean "ganged together"? This is an idea I had a few years ago and described on TPU. That it hasn't been done as a commercial product is perhaps due to cost and technical issues.

The idea is to design the GPUs so that they can sit next to each other on the same motherboard and be connected directly together, with the two working in tandem as one double-wide GPU. This would have a single pool of RAM too, so none of this wasting of memory and shuffling of data and microstutter nonsense. On top of that, the performance gain would be a perfect 2x just as if the two were a single GPU that's twice as big. In fact, there would be no need to switch off the connection between them as it would have no downsides.
It's more so SLI is in a tricky transition state currently. High end is pushing substantial increases in pixel density and AA which is currently cripplingly difficult with multi-card setups using the current DX11 APIs. 3+ cards will run you into godray and AA issues unless you dedicate a card to SLI AA. AFR is just a poor solution overall. SFR will fix a hell of a lot.

With DX11 transitioning to DX12, you also have limited options on the driver side to expand support yourself. You can no longer 'force' AFR magic tricks to make it work. Compound that with UE4's PFR reliance destroying AFR support as well, its a really tricky position to be in.

VR SLI is thriving, UE4 has phenomenal support (i.e. Serious Sam VR), but VR is in a stagnation until some real advances happen.

Dropping to 2 card SLI means Nvidia is able to expand to extreme resolutions via HB SLI bridge until NVLINK comes through the pipeline, but the cost of this is aggregating both bridges, which cripples 3/4 card setups. Given the market situation, it's an easy call on Nvidias part.

3/4 card support will inevitable continue to exist/return once NVLINK hits and DX12 SFR becomes standard as it's natively designed to scale unlike AFR/PFR.

System Name Top notch gaming PC - best HW as of 2019-2021 (Not the name of course)
Processor i9-9900ks @ 5.2 GHz
Motherboard AsRock Phantom gaming 9
Cooling Arctic Freezer ii 280
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident z B die (out the box 17-19-19-39. 3,600MHz) Of course I have OCed above that.
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG strix 3080ti gaming OC 450w 1815 Mhz boost out the box.
Storage A lot of Samsung SSDs. Now Nvme 970 boot drive.
Display(s) Acer XB27HU 1440p. New 2022 - AOC 273 27" new gaming monitor 1440p
Case Many. Main PC Thermal take full tower tt v71 Tempered glass
Audio Device(s) ALC1200 plus many cans. Now using EPOS external GSX 1000 2nd edition, Sound card. VZR spatial cans
Power Supply Seasonic Gold FX 850w (Several)
Mouse G703 Logitech
Keyboard A nice one.
Software Mostly games - Steam all block busters. VLC. F@H, Various Benches (Fires trike adv etc.)
Benchmark Scores Superposition 1080p EXTREME - 13125
Quick note about 3DMark, Firestrike and TimeSpy. And driver 376.33 scores.
=================================================

Nothing amazing but in the benchmarks above this driver consistently scores about 1.8 to 2% better (graphics tests). I have re-run many times as the gap is small, but found it consistent.

Prior to this I was using 373.06. I have years of old test scores lol!

EVGA GTX 1080 FTW (Both out the box and OC speeds multi tested).
I know you may think these increases are too low to warrant attention, but the point is I'm happy to get a few, just a few extra fps in games.

Could be system specific, I don't know, but due to repeated re-runs, and playing games the difference is positive, all be it small.

BTW - Deactivated all new "call home," tasks" via CCleaner. A total of five (nvupdatedaily/coreupdate, NvTmMon - 3 similar, and updater on logon).

I know two of them are needed if running for GFE, Shadow play or whatever, but my system is single gpu always clean install, always only physX and the driver itself.
NO negative side affects are many hours of PC use with all this crap disabled. Wouldn't mind if they announced it, and they are harmless, but just putting them there annoys me. Like MS loves to do.

Finally - Very good drivers (376.33) for me at least. (z77 based system. W10 64 anniversary, Pascal 1080)

EDIT: Verified Schd Tasks were disabled by using the Task Sheduler of windows 10, and checking
Task manager. Quite useful the little old free CCleaner!