• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel's X299 Platform to Counter AMD's X399 with 12-core CPUs

When you think about it, this was inevitable, and desirable. Everyone complains about the lousy 5% gains per generation, and even that is hitting a wall.
First of all: it's not hitting a wall. Intel could offer way more performance in their lineup, but they decided to stay on low TDP. Theoretically you could pump 140W through a LGA1151 CPU and get a huge boost in performance. We're not seeing that because, frankly, most of people buying consumer stuff doesn't care about more power. They want small, cool PCs, not huge OC rigs.
Second: Intel released so many CPU generations since AMD Bulldozer, that the mere +5% gains add up to almost the same AMD managed (+52% IPC from Ryzen marketing).
The end result is that AMD single-core performance is still behind Intel (but it's a smaller gap compared to 2011).
More cores is now the way to increase performance, and the gains will be found by writing software that makes full use of all the cores/threads.
And what about applications that don't benefit from multi-core performance? Should we sacrifice performance in those?
IMO the best thing about Ryzen is that it almost matched Intel in single-core tasks. It makes these CPUs so much more usable in general usage - not just games or encoding or whatever.
Yes, we should expect more cores in the future, but a single core just must not become slower than it is now.

Also, I think you greatly overestimate the importance of HEDT systems. No one optimizes stuff for them - that's why most apps use 2-4 cores, while you could have bought almost double that for years. Everything is optimized for laptops.
This is also the reason why many apps are not looking well on 4K monitors - because the standard in laptops is 1080p. Even if you run something that should benefit from high resolution (e.g. Photoshop or AutoCAD), you'll notice that icons are tiny and it's often hard to hit a button...

System Name The beast and the little runt.
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X - Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING - ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570
Cooling Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4a - NH-D15 chromax.black with IPPC Industrial 3000 RPM 120/140 MM fans.
Memory G.SKILL TRIDENT Z ROYAL GOLD/SILVER 32 GB (2 x 16 GB and 4 x 8 GB) 3600 MHz CL14-15-15-35 1.45 volts
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 4060 OC LOW PROFILE - GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC
Storage Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB + 2 TB - Samsung 870 EVO 4 TB - 2 x WD RED PRO 16 GB + WD ULTRASTAR 22 TB
Display(s) Asus 27" TUF VG27AQL1A and a Dell 24" for dual setup
Case Phanteks Enthoo 719/LUXE 2 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Onboard on both boards
Power Supply Phanteks Revolt X 1200W
Mouse Logitech G903 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum
Software WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BITS on both systems
Benchmark Scores Se more about my 2 in 1 system here: kortlink.dk/2ca4x
Im not sure im gonna get skylake e. I have an i7 980X that does its job just fine so far.

And if intel keeps there prices as they are now, i am deffently not gonna upgrade this time.

Let's be honest.

Intel have hands full. And they're scrambling to save what they can. I'm firmly in Intel camp since forever, but if AMD delivers 16/32 core/thread chip for 1000$, a lot of folks will jump into it (me included). And if there is option for a dual CPU boards designed for consumer (I just cringe thinking about Xeons prices) market based on Ryzen/Naples/whatever then it will be absolute no-brainer to forget about Intel.

Intel does good stuff, but for past 15 years they've milked every ounce of $$$ they could. Now its a bit of time for payback and running around scared with pants/underpants* (full) on fire.

X299 will offer marginal improvement over X99 so there is not much to expect (and they supposedly cut connectivity by 2 SATA ports which is just great if you need those). X390/399 shapes, on the other hand, to be something really new which is not Intel. Just don't screw connectivity or PCIe slots/lanes like baby-Ryzen did with its utterly laughable 24 lanes.

* - take your pick on English english you prefer. :D

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
Any intelligent being knows Intel is not scrambling around to put together a CPU with more cores. Skylake-X has been in the works for over two years, it's not anything Intel has made up after the launch of Ryzen.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
Any intelligent being knows Intel is not scrambling around to put together a CPU with more cores. Skylake-X has been in the works for over two years, it's not anything Intel has made up after the launch of Ryzen.

The platform as a whole, no, of course not, that's part of their long term business plan, but the 12 core part is most likely a bit of a last minute addition. It's not as if it would be hard for Intel to do so, as it's simply a modified Xeon. That said, Intel is clearly concerned and trying to make sure that they have something new and appealing to the limited market that is willing to pay stupid money for an overclockable 12-core part.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name RogueOne
Processor Xeon W9-3495x
Motherboard ASUS w790E Sage SE
Cooling SilverStone XE360-4677
Memory 128gb Gskill Zeta R5 DDR5 RDIMMs
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 2TB WD SN850X | 2x 8TB GAMMIX S70
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 (G95SC)
Case Thermaltake Core P3 Pro Snow
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on schitt Modi+ & Valhalla 2
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-1600
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11 Pro Workstation
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
I think somehow people think Intel was caught with there pants down because they didnt have consumer end chips with AMDs core count. The issue with this is that Intel DOES make and produce chips with large core counts in the HEDT and server markets using the consumer friendly architecture.

This isnt bad for intel at all. They just make consumer grade CPUs with more cores too appease people looking at the cor count on newegg.

If anything I think this might be bad for AMD because they will pump themselves up with core counts and parade it for 6 months and then intel will just drop a chip that also has 16 cores and the performance numbers will speak for themselves.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
If anything I think this might be bad for AMD because they will pump themselves up with core counts and parade it for 6 months and then intel will just drop a chip that also has 16 cores and the performance numbers will speak for themselves.

And so will the price difference...

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Processor Intel Core i7 8700K
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z370-G GAMING AC
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro RGB
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 500GB
Display(s) Dell S2417DG 165Hz
Case NZXT H400i
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Cooler Master - Masterkeys Pro L RGB
Software Windows 10 Pro 64Bit
As if they designed this cpu in 3-5 months time lol.

Mouse Razer Abyssus
Software Ubuntu
Anything launching this summer was taped out long before the launch of Ryzen.

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 5800X3D
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 6600 8 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS
Anything launching this summer was taped out long before the launch of Ryzen.

I figure they already had the product "ready for manufacture" but didn't disclose it because there was no need @ the time. AMD wasn't a threat so there was no point in launching as soon as possible.

Ryzen changed all that and now Intel's feeling pressure, so they went ahead and "deployed" their "hidden" processors. But this doesn't happen overnight so time is needed for both board makers as well as CPU fabs to have the production ready.

Personally, i would have preferred Intel went with the "lower current prices" approach but just the fact that Intel's under pressure is good news, IMO.

Mouse Razer Abyssus
Software Ubuntu
I figure they already had the product "ready for manufacture" but didn't disclose it because there was no need @ the time. AMD wasn't a threat so there was no point in launching as soon as possible.

Ryzen changed all that and now Intel's feeling pressure, so they went ahead and "deployed" their "hidden" processors. But this doesn't happen overnight so time is needed for both board makers as well as CPU fabs to have the production ready.

Personally, i would have preferred Intel went with the "lower current prices" approach but just the fact that Intel's under pressure is good news, IMO.
You clearly don't know how microprocessors are developed.
Skylake-X has been on the roadmap for two years, and would have been "deployed" regardless of Ryzen. Intel don't spend billions of dollars developing a chip and not use it, that's preposterous. Intel might not have much competition in the consumer space, but the server and workstation market simply can't get enough performance. You are giving AMD "credit" for things that have nothing to do with them. These products would have been the same without Ryzen. The only impact Ryzen can have in the short term is pricing, and the jury is still out on that one…

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Audio Device(s) Onboard
You clearly don't know how microprocessors are developed.
Skylake-X has been on the roadmap for two years, and would have been "deployed" regardless of Ryzen. Intel don't spend billions of dollars developing a chip and not use it, that's preposterous. Intel might not have much competition in the consumer space, but the server and workstation market simply can't get enough performance. You are giving AMD "credit" for things that have nothing to do with them. These products would have been the same without Ryzen. The only impact Ryzen can have in the short term is pricing, and the jury is still out on that one…

That's not what i meant: i meant they had already developed it but were waiting for an appropriate time to launch it. Ryzen's performance was not expected and has forced Intel to introduce these new processors faster then expected.

But it's not that easy to suddenly speed up release date because there's a whole logistical process involved, so it takes several months.

Intel is not desperate or scared like some reasonless posts try to indicate. They have milked the market for years with high prices and very little advancements from gen to gen because of no competition from AMD and they were doing that intentionally, knowing that AMD will have to catch up at some point. There is no way for such company to be surprised by or to be scared because AMD has released something. This was expected and they have all resources to answer and they can price things even lower than AMD if they feel the need, and price is the only reason to go for AMD because Intel has much more stable and universal performance. With comparable pricing by both companies, AMD stops to exist again. I don't know how naive you have to be to believe that Intel is scared. All of those people talking about some last nails to Intel's coffin and things like that... So ridiculous. AMD fans are always speaking about AMD coming and saving the world, brining Intel and Nvidia to their doom, but it always ends the same. Although this time the made some significant impact on the market and I am thankful for that, prices will drop significantly and I will gladly benefit from that, but they are just doing their job now, thats all, the situation on the market in last few years is the fault of AMD not being competitive.

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Intel is not desperate or scared like some reasonless posts try to indicate. They have milked the market for years with high prices and very little advancements from gen to gen because of no competition from AMD and they were doing that intentionally, knowing that AMD will have to catch up at some point. There is no way for such company to be surprised by or to be scared because AMD has released something. This was expected and they have all resources to answer and they can price things even lower than AMD if they feel the need, and price is the only reason to go for AMD because Intel has much more stable and universal performance. With comparable pricing by both companies, AMD stops to exist again. I don't know how naive you have to be to believe that Intel is scared. All of those people talking about some last nails to Intel's coffin and things like that... So ridiculous. AMD fans are always speaking about AMD coming and saving the world, brining Intel and Nvidia to their doom, but it always ends the same. Although this time the made some significant impact on the market and I am thankful for that, prices will drop significantly and I will gladly benefit from that, but they are just doing their job now, thats all, the situation on the market in last few years is the fault of AMD not being competitive.

That's just it: they should be @ least wary of the server class versions of AMD's Zen based processors because it appears AMD's multi-thread implementation is working better then Intel's: @ least according to CineBench 15. If so, and barring any unforseen last minute problems, AMD will pose a very serious threat: cheaper (supposedly) and faster processors (in multi-threaded) ...

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
@ least according to CineBench 15
I love the way AMD fans always point to Cinebench scores, as if it means anything in real world performance. Cinebench is even less relevant to server platforms - unless your server is running video rendering benchmarks all day for some reason...

Processor Intel core i9 13900ks sp117 direct die
Motherboard Asus Maximus Apex Z790
Cooling Custom loop 3*360 45mm thick+ 3 x mo-ra3 420 +Dual D5 pump and dual ddc pump
Memory 2x24gb Gskill 8800c38
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090 Strix
Storage 1TB Samsung 860Evo,2*2tb Samsung 970Evo Plus, 1tb Intel 660p nvme
Display(s) Sammsung G7 32”
Case Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) Creative Omni 5.1 usb sound card
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Model O-
Keyboard Hyper X Alloy Origin Core
Intel price tag = peasant is not welcome.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Intel prices in Europe for CPU with HT has became like this recently
1 Core = 100€

That's just it: they should be @ least wary of the server class versions of AMD's Zen based processors because it appears AMD's multi-thread implementation is working better then Intel's: @ least according to CineBench 15. If so, and barring any unforseen last minute problems, AMD will pose a very serious threat: cheaper (supposedly) and faster processors (in multi-threaded) ...

I don't get this really. Where have you seen these CineBench scores for Naples?
And even with Ryzen I don't really see any advantage. The multi-thread and single-thread performances scale equally well in both cases.

We generally don't know much about Naples yet - even though it's expected to launch in a matter of weeks.
For example I am really interested in the memory latencies. We've already seen that the design modularity of Infinity Fabric brings some disadvantages in a dual CCX Ryzen CPU. What will happen in a Naples that's basically 4 Ryzen dies in a single package?

Processor 13700KF @ 5.7GHZ HT OFF, E CORE OFF - 190W cap
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit EVO
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2TB WD SN850, 4TB WD SN850X
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case Jonsbo Z20
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard 65% HE Keyboard
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
And even with Ryzen I don't really see any advantage. The multi-thread and single-thread performances scale equally well in both cases.

We generally don't know much about Naples yet - even though it's expected to launch in a matter of weeks.
For example I am really interested in the memory latencies. We've already seen that the design modularity of Infinity Fabric brings some disadvantages in a dual CCX Ryzen CPU. What will happen in a Naples that's basically 4 Ryzen dies in a single package?

I would agree with this... however it is nice that core count is coming to the masses - which means that software will start taking advantage of core counts - that's fantastic news for the scaling and performance of PCs - which just has stopped on the processor side altogether.

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Audio Device(s) Onboard
I love the way AMD fans always point to Cinebench scores, as if it means anything in real world performance. Cinebench is even less relevant to server platforms - unless your server is running video rendering benchmarks all day for some reason...

If you compare Ryzen 1800X to 6900K in single and multi-threaded CB15, you'll notice that the 1800X gains distance to the 6900K in multi-threaded:

A better comparison may actually be with the 1700X instead of the 1800X because it comes from behind in single to be ahead in multi.

Obviously we haven't seen Naples CB15 as of yet but, depending on how it scales, it's quite possible AMD will be ahead of Intel in this.

You are ofc correct: the latency between CCXs will be a key factor and we have yet to see how 4 dies in a single package affect latencies. This will "make or break" the success of AMD's server line of CPUs, IMO.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
As if they designed this cpu in 3-5 months time lol.

There's nothing to "design". Intel's HEDT processors are binned Xeon CPUs that are gimped to only work with their corresponding chipset (X99, X299 etc.). Intel could make new models over night if they wanted to, but there's no reason for them to do so.

Mouse Razer Abyssus
Software Ubuntu
There's nothing to "design". Intel's HEDT processors are binned Xeon CPUs that are gimped to only work with their corresponding chipset (X99, X299 etc.). Intel could make new models over night if they wanted to, but there's no reason for them to do so.
HEDT runs different chipsets, so no.
Skylake-X would have been released without Ryzen, it's launch window was even public last year. CPUs are not made over night.