• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Extends the Core i9 Brand to the Mobile Platform

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
It's very intelligently thought out, with each SKU having a specific place and purpose that makes perfect sense to those who can see the "big picture" and understand that not everything has to fit their specific narrow viewpoint. This is Intel's gift, that they strive to cover all bases and fit customer's needs more precisely. If that costs more, that's because excellence is never cheap. If Intel's recent CPU lineup confuses you, perhaps PC hardware is not your strong point, and you should just enjoy your nice Z87 system, as I enjoy my Z97. Things are changing, and that's a good thing, not something to be upset about. Would you want them to take the cheap way, and be like Ryzen/Threadripper, where every SKU is off the same die, binned failures making up the lower chips? You should thank Intel for being there for those who really care about performance, not bitching about naming schemes.
Hey, what do you think makes up the non hyperthreaded i5, some i3s, the non full fledged HDET chips, ece? Binned i7s/i9s with faulty cache and cores. Your 'gift' seems to be just as cheap as AMD's parts.

Every chip company uses binned failures for lower end chips. Intel has been doing it for 15 years. Any financially responsible chip company does that. Also, others will point out that the AMD method allows them to cut costs, while reigning in high profits from cheaper chips while intel soils their pants trying to compete with the high core counts for a low price. Creating a bunch of different chips doesnt mean your parts are any higher quality. Making a product line confusing doesnt make it good, and too often it is instead used as a diversion tactic, to cover up cheap cost cutting or gimping of features, as intel has done with PCIE and memory lanes.

You want to shill for intel and talk about how their business practices are a 'gift', just put "shill inside" under your username.

Last edited:
System Name project silver poison
Processor Intel Xeon x5650
Motherboard Asus x58 sabertooth
Cooling Enermax Liqfusion 240mm
Memory 24gb ripjaws ddr3
Video Card(s) Sapphire R9 fury Nitro
Storage 256gb sata ssd & 1tb seagate white label
Display(s) Asus VP248QG
Case Lian li lancool one
Audio Device(s) Logitech z207 & audio techica m40x
Power Supply Enermax platimax df 1200w
Mouse Corsair Harpoon rgb
Keyboard Coolermaster Masterkeys pro l rgb
If they put it in workstation laptops then im fine with it. if its for gaming or mainstream it makes no sense.

System Name Frankenstein
Processor Ryzen 9 5800X
Motherboard Asrock Z570 Phantom Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 2 x 16 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3200mhz
Video Card(s) SAPPHIRE Toxic Radeon RX 6900 XT WC
Storage Corsair MP600 + 2xSamsung 860 Evo + Samsung 950 Pro + Others
Display(s) ROG SWIFT PG278Q
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo White
Audio Device(s) AudioEngine A5+ White
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 1300W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Elite
Software Windows 10 Pro
I think you forgot quite a few Intel processors, as you don't seem to have any Pentium or Celeron models in that 27 count, nor any of the T or P models...

Also, it's much, much worse on the mobile side...

I suggest you count again using this list, although right now it seems to be a bit hard to count, as Intel has some wide discrepancies between the 6, 7 and 8-series in terms of available SKUs - https://s21.q4cdn.com/600692695/fil...Oct_15_17_Recommended_Customer_Price_List.pdf

Also, Intel's cheapest dual core has a list price of $42.

I was only comparing the Current 8Gen Models that are competing directly with AMD.
Pentium and Celeron are not Gen 8.

I want to compare apples with apples and not apples to oranges...

It's very intelligently thought out, with each SKU having a specific place and purpose that makes perfect sense to those who can see the "big picture" and understand that not everything has to fit their specific narrow viewpoint. This is Intel's gift, that they strive to cover all bases and fit customer's needs more precisely. If that costs more, that's because excellence is never cheap. If Intel's recent CPU lineup confuses you, perhaps PC hardware is not your strong point, and you should just enjoy your nice Z87 system, as I enjoy my Z97. Things are changing, and that's a good thing, not something to be upset about. Would you want them to take the cheap way, and be like Ryzen/Threadripper, where every SKU is off the same die, binned failures making up the lower chips? You should thank Intel for being there for those who really care about performance, not bitching about naming schemes.

It is very intelligently thought out to make to customer bleed!

Does it really make perfect sence to have an HEDT CPU that is the same exact same thing as a normal i7? same dual channel, same PCIe Lanes?Seriously? So what is it for?

Also doesn't make any sence in financial terms because the prices are overpriced for every single one of them!!

Maybe you work for Intel or you are a fanboy, and I touched a nerve... but unfortunately the first CPUs of the HEDT family are just for money grabbing and to deceive the end customer... they offer no gains against the lower socket CPUs. And there will be even fewer gains on HEDT on Laptops.

This is Intel's gift, that they strive to cover all bases and fit customer's needs more precisely.

First... too much fanboyism... :laugh:

Second... would having more (64) PCIe Lanes be bad for customers? or support for Quad Channel? why would you not have these features on HEDT CPU? ONE answer - because these are the same exact CPUs from the lower socket modified to work on this socket....

AMD has got all HEDT with 64 lanes and Quad Channel and all of them are cheaper than the competing Intel Ones... so all arguments of manufacturing cost are worthless. Actually is more expensive to manufacture lots of different CPUs with small differences like Intel is doing than doing all with same specs...

Also, if you want a clue on who is moronic or not, look at how many likes your post has Vs mine.....

Also, if you want to have a look WHO is money Grabbing, just look at core count.
Performance line - AMD has 8 cores and Intel i7 has 6 cores.
If you want Intel with more than 6 cores you HAVE to buy the more expensive line of 2066 Socket boards (that will have features disabled for 4, 6 and 8 core CPUs). You have no option on 8 Cores with socket 1151 (so much for your Gift argument - "cover all bases to fit customer's needs" ... muahahahaha)

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Anyone else who wants to argue the tired debate of AMD vs Intel in this thread any longer, find a different thread.