• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Roberts Space Industries and Cloud Imperium Games Launch Star Citizen Alpha 3.1

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
I feel like i'm defending it when it comes to what people think about when they think SC, witch is kinda wrong these days.

Its true. Currently, i can't find myself doing anything new after maybe 4-5 hours of gameplay in the current patch. But i still believe that the potential to have something really special exists and achievable.
Haven't lost my faith just yet.
When there’s an actual semblance of a game you can rightly defend it. You’ll still have a few more years to wait(we hope it’s just a few)

deu

System Name Bo-minator (my name is bo)
Processor AMD 3900X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory G-SkiLL 2x8GB RAM 3600Mhz (CL16-16-16-16-36)
Video Card(s) ASUS STRIX 1080Ti OC
Storage Samsung EVO 850 1TB
Display(s) ACER XB271HU + DELL 2717D
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Antec HCP 1000W
Mouse G403
Keyboard CM STORM Quick Fire Rapid
Software Windows 10 64-bit Pro
Benchmark Scores XX
There is... It's called Elite: Dangerous, and it costs $60.00.

View attachment 99228

Star Citizen costs 25-30 dollars for persistent universe! Everything you pay MORE than that, the devs have repeatetly told that would be pure contribution and support, since the ships bought can be earned ingame as well. :p (except 1-2 really big things, that should not be easily obtained.) (We dont want every noob fliying around with a stardestroyer! :D. To be honest I think the balance is fair. The hardcore fans can support all they want, but super noobs can buy the game at launch and start earning their ships through quest/missions ect. (This comes from a person that have spent 120 dollars; my reason to do so is to support the development and the vision. I hope a game will emerge at some point, but in principle its the vision that im supporting. (The people that make that game actually want to make the best possible game for the players. (alot of developers do), but they are usually choked out by publishers and businesspractices. Lets all (whether or not we like space sims hope that SC will be a fan success as well as a commercial success. If that happens more games made FOR the gamers will be made (instead of games being taken hostage as a tool to empty the customers pockets (battlefront etc. and in general EA! :D)

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Star Citizen costs 25-30 dollars for persistent universe! Everything you pay MORE than that, the devs have repeatetly told that would be pure contribution and support, since the ships bought can be earned ingame as well. :p (except 1-2 really big things, that should not be easily obtained.) (We dont want every noob fliying around with a stardestroyer! :D. To be honest I think the balance is fair. The hardcore fans can support all they want, but super noobs can buy the game at launch and start earning their ships through quest/missions ect. (This comes from a person that have spent 120 dollars; my reason to do so is to support the development and the vision. I hope a game will emerge at some point, but in principle its the vision that im supporting. (The people that make that game actually want to make the best possible game for the players. (alot of developers do), but they are usually choked out by publishers and businesspractices. Lets all (whether or not we like space sims hope that SC will be a fan success as well as a commercial success. If that happens more games made FOR the gamers will be made (instead of games being taken hostage as a tool to empty the customers pockets (battlefront etc. and in general EA! :D)
None of what you wrote prevents RSI from releasing a simple(r) game and adding features afterwards. The fact that they choose not to is what raises questions.
Also, you make the point that you don't have to spend money because everything can be earned in game. That's true for pretty much every pay2win title out there - another thing that makes one wonder.

System Name MSI GP76
Processor intel i7 11800h
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Memory 32gb of 3000mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3070
Storage x2 PNY 8tb cs2130 m.2 SSD--16tb of space
Display(s) 17.3" IPS 1920x1080 240Hz
Power Supply 280w laptop power supply
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Software lots of movies and Windows 10 with win 7 shell
Benchmark Scores Good enough for me
I'll send money when the game releases. The game sounds good and I am sure it might be but its not out yet.

deu

Processor AMD 3900X
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Mouse G403
Benchmark Scores XX
None of what you wrote prevents RSI from releasing a simple(r) game and adding features afterwards. The fact that they choose not to is what raises questions.
Also, you make the point that you don't have to spend money because everything can be earned in game. That's true for pretty much every pay2win title out there - another thing that makes one wonder.

Dude... That is what 3.1 is. A simpler version. :D I can go into a long explaination (which would properbly be seen as a defense :D), about why the fundementals need to be in place before that can even happen. The good news is that 3.0-> is the fundementals, thats why different big and important gameplay mechanics have begun to be added to the game. (mining, trading, discovering stuff like that. (Roadmap can be seen here: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/1-Star-Citizen) Right now you can dogfight, you can FPS match, you can race, you can PU ( persistenuniverse although pretty shitty server performance.) Right now it is for sure only a game for supporters or people spacesim interested, but during 2018-2019 the game should become fullyfeatured.) In regard to 'pay to win' CIG have made it abundantly clear that buying a ship now will not provide you with a superiority when the game launches. The ship I have payed 120 dollars for might be earned in 50 hours of play. And they made it clear so I dont go whine when nonsupporters are going to own me. But thats the rules.

In regard to transparency Star Citizen is the most open development of a game that have ever happened, so if you uninformed you should look up the hundreds of video shows they actually produce to the solve purpose of informing about whats where and why! :D

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
I was about to write you a more meaningful reply. But then I realised, if you started your comment by telling me an alpha version is a released product, we probably lack the grounds for a meaningful discussion.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
I was about to write you a more meaningful reply. But then I realised, if you started your comment by telling me an alpha version is a released product, we probably lack the grounds for a meaningful discussion.
He’s not defending it at all :roll::rolleyes:

deu

Processor AMD 3900X
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Mouse G403
Benchmark Scores XX

Im not sure you understand alpha/beta/final. You can have open alpha or beta (I assume you understand that it does not HAVE to closed for it to be a beta) Another question; Have you tried the game? because you keep asking for exactly what CGI is providing; A modular 'alpha->beta->FINAL.1.0->xx' implementation that supporters can opt in on whenever they want. Now; in 1 year; when the game releases; (you decide) Right now the game is the basic systems being tested out, stripped of content and meningful user experience gamemechanics. The game let you try what they have created. You're a tester right now when you play. If you want anything close to a Battlefield finish wait till release. If you enjoy spacesims well then SC dogfighting modules will proberbly make you drowl of exitement, but people getting salty over that the game is not a finish product but that they still allow people to test it (before it is finished), should proberbly find a AAA title to play :)
If you have more questions feel free to write.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Ah, that's the problem with Star citizen. That I don't get it. Thanks for pointing it out.