• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft to Acquire GitHub for $7.5 Billion

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024
Did you know that you can run a Linux VM within Windows using Microsoft's own tools now? Yeah, they're so devious and such assholes, these Microsoft guys.

Speaking from experience from the OS/2 world:

After a while it becomes for legacy apps only. Then, soon, why run it at all?

Not saying that's their goal here, just saying that's a really really bad argument for good intentions. Similar to saying "Mr. Microsoft is so friendly, he gave Mr. Linux his own jail cell to play in..."

It's both a bargain and a waste of $7.5 billion.
It's a bargain because Microsoft can now see the source code of every commit ever made to GitHub since its inception, open-source or closed-source, public or non-public, free software or proprietary software.
It's a waste of $7.5 billion because no software developer outside Microsoft with more than one neuron between their ears will ever touch GitHub again.
That about sums it up! Well said.

If you didn't have a problem with others seeing your code when you initially sent it to remote computers, why would you have a problem now?
And for those that did have a problem, there's on-premises GitHub Enterprise.

I will. Why wouldn't I?

Between integrated wiki, issue tracker and code reviews and analytics, I'd say there's a lot of exclusive stuff GitHub has to offer. Not in the sense nobody has done it before, but in the sense GitHub is probably the most convenient one-stop shop solution for all the above.

Those features you just mentioned are definitely not exclusive to GitHub. Apart from existing alternatives, what's to stop someone from creating a new one..? Amazon could easily put up a similar service...

You're making it sound as if it's a bad thing, unfairly hurting others (competitors?) is but not the first part.

Monetization is not inherently a bad thing. In fact GitHub has a revenue model, but it's just not working well enough. I think he's talking about Microsoft monetizing it further, putting up a different revenue model, charging more and segmenting things even further.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Microsoft will use Visual Studio to monetize GitHub. A lot of developers work remote anymore and to get that support in Visual Studio, you got to pay thousands of dollars for the Team version of Visual Studio. Acquiring GitHub will lead to better implementation in Visual Studio and the Community edition/GitHub combo will be popular with the open source community. That the same time, Microsoft can monetize the private side of GitHub for businesses that don't need full blown Team support.

Yeah, a lot of projects are going to fork to GitLab and other competitors and I'm sure Microsoft knew that. That isn't the core of their business though (which are businesses using Visual Studio). They'll surely expand on that.

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
And how many hate it every day of it for decades? They've been liars, cheats, incompetent, and criminal from day 1. I hope Gates gets disemboweled....slowly.

Remember when games had a Linux ver on disc? Pepperidge Farm remembers. Then these dickless, mouth breathers bribed all the devs to use the garbage known as DX. You think it's fun being shackled to this crap?

Pirating the junk doesn't absolve them of their sins.

I've been around since 3.1 days and I don't have a short memory.
*speaks like Yoda*
The hate is strong with this one. Hm.

What you may not know is that without Windows the PC industry as we know it would not be what it is today, Windows made computers easy to use for the masses; they brought industry standardization and ease of use to the table. People love to say "This year will be the year of the Linux Desktop". :rolleyes: We've been saying that for over a decade and where is the Linux community on that goal? Nowhere close. Everyone has different ideas on everything. There's a reason why there's industry standards, to get things done. And in the end a computer is a tool; nothing more, nothing less.