• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Paradox Interactive to Acquire Seattle-based Harebrained Schemes

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
(Editor's Note: Harebrained Schemes have come out with some of the more interesting story-driven, tactical strategy RPGs in recent times. The world of Shadowrun is an amazing one, but Battletech seems to have become loved by the community as well - and a mech tactical RPG has been missing ever since SquareEnix butchered their Front Mission series by turning it into a FPS slog fest. Here's hoping Harebrained Schemes carries on with its games as it most wants to make them - they've proven time and again they can deliver. Paradox Interactive isn't new to this game, and also have some very strong IPs under their belt. A thriving relationship and development would benefit us gamers for sure.)

Paradox Interactive, a global publisher and developer of interactive entertainment, today announced it has entered into an agreement to acquire 100% of the shares in Harebrained Holdings Inc, sole owner of Harebrained Schemes, LLC, from Harebrained Bag of Holding Inc. Paradox pays a fixed purchase price of US$7,500,000 at the time of acquisition plus an additional purchase price corresponding to 25% of the acquired business' earnings before publishing costs over the next 5 years to the extent such earnings exceed the fixed purchase price. The deal is expected to close by Thursday, June 7, 2018.

Harebrained Schemes was founded in 2011 by industry veterans Jordan Weisman and Mitch Gitelman. Weisman is the creator of many acclaimed game universes including Shadowrun, Crimson Skies, and BattleTech/MechWarrior, and has founded several previous entertainment companies including FASA Corp, Virtual World Entertainment, FASA Interactive, 42 Entertainment, and Wizkids. At Harebrained Schemes, the partners-in-crime assembled a scrappy, talented team and shipped eight titles in seven years including the award-winning Shadowrun Returns series of CRPGs and the recently released turn-based strategy title BATTLETECH.

"Harebrained Schemes have proven themselves as a world-class studio with a very talented team within a genre where Paradox wants to be present," said Fredrik Wester, CEO of Paradox Interactive. "In addition, we really like the studio, the people who run it, and their games; these are all absolute hard criteria for us in any acquisition. Our recent successful launch of BATTLETECH, our first project together, has been a fantastic collaboration, but the possibilities of what we can do together in the long term now that we've joined forces - that's what has us truly excited."

"Mitch and I started Harebrained to create the kind of story-rich tactical games we loved," said Jordan Weisman, CEO of Harebrained Schemes, "and for the last seven years, our studio has been fueled by our team's passion and by the generous support of our fans. As the scale of our games has grown and the marketplace has gotten extremely noisy we felt that HBS needed to team up with a company that could provide us the financial stability and marketing expertise that would allow us focus on what we love doing - making great games and stories."

Mitch Gitelman, Harebrained Schemes' President, added, "Our experience working with Paradox on BATTLETECH was the best of our careers and proved to us that this was a company we would be proud to be a part of. What's more, we've gotten to experience the incredible audience that Paradox has firsthand. The fans who we met at PDXCON in May after having launched our game were so full of enthusiasm and appreciation. We share a deep respect for our audiences, for healthy and collaborative teams, and for the creative process itself - the fit just works."

Harebrained Schemes will continue to operate with its own internal management and creative teams, designing and developing the games that have earned them their outstanding reputation. In their new role as a division of Paradox Interactive, the studio will gain access to business and distribution expertise, financial support, and an extended colleague network of strategy enthusiasts. Fans of Harebrained Schemes can continue to count on the community involvement and visibility that the studio has always provided.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
I'm afraid that Microsoft isn't going to want to license Shadowrun to them anymore so Shadowrun is effectively dead. I'd rather have another Shadowrun game than more content for BattleTech. Paradox may even struggle to get another license for another BattleTech game too. I really don't see this as a positive thing. :C

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024
I'm afraid that Microsoft isn't going to want to license Shadowrun to them anymore so Shadowrun is effectively dead.

I'm slightly out of the loop here. What does Microsoft have against Paradox?

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Microsoft licensed Shadowrun and BattleTech to Harebrained Holdings Inc., not Paradox. Harebrained Schemes was comprised of people that worked on these intellectual properties before so Microsoft had reasonable belief they wouldn't trash it. Now that Paradox owns Harebrained Schemes, it is Paradox that has to acquire future licenses, not Hairbrained Schemes (now a subsidiary). It's entirely plausible Microsoft jacks up the rates to a point Paradox is not willing to pay (Harebrained Schemes was a small, independent studio) or Microsoft outright refuses to license it (they're under no obligation to do so).

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
Paradox has rights to some of my favorite properties... but I have no clue what they'll do with them.

Vampire/White Wolf, Conan, Shadowrun, BattleTech...

Among others. I have Crusader Kings II, but I've yet to play it.

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) EVGA 980ti FTW
Storage (OS)Samsung 950 Pro (512GB), (Data) WD Reds
Display(s) 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GAME ONE
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Deck Hassium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Paradox has rights to some of my favorite properties... but I have no clue what they'll do with them.

Vampire/White Wolf, Conan, Shadowrun, BattleTech...

Among others. I have Crusader Kings II, but I've yet to play it.

I know and love Paradox for Crusader Kings II in which I have easily played over 1k hours.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
I should add that the apparent popularity of BattleTech could incite Microsoft to look into a revival of their own. In which case, Paradox would be denied license on account of Microsoft making their own competitive product.

Then again, I don't know the terms that HBS licensed BattleTech and Shadowrun under. It could be perpetual.