• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bethesda Announces "The Elder Scrolls VI"

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Witcher 3 had it all. And the dev team is less than half of Bethesda's...

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
People who are working on texture are not working for free. IMO it is like this, to have best graphics you have to spend most of your resources on game engine and on graphics instead of giving priority to game experience. Almost all games that have top graphics are either games with shit epxerience or are short. While all enjoyble and amazing, long lasting games has either Very good (1-2 years behind current top standards) or Good graphics.

Let's see....Witcher 3. Oh yeah.

Beyond that, Skyrim's story sucked. Graphics sucked. Voice acting sucked. Still, it was an ok game and I played it a lot. The last good story in TES was Morrowind. Probably because you had to read it. Bethesda's biggest problem is they can't tell a story. Skyrim was so predictable it wasn't funny. I was amped for Fallout 4 and they blew that as well. TES was my favorite series until the Witcher series came about when I discovered it by accident for $5. Best $5 I ever spent.

CDPR is an example of what a developer/publisher/game seller should be. Make a good product and they will come. Make a good product and the dollars will come. Currently, Activision and EA have their heads so far up their rectums they can watch their own hearts turning to stone.

See what I did there?

Edit: Also, if they don't throw out that POS Gamebryo/Creation Engine...there is no way I am buying this game until it is half price.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
Argh... I feel torn. I can relate to a lot of the things said here, and yet I still really enjoy TES. How do I explain it? Lets go back to Skyrim... ...when it comes to that game, some of the things that Bethesda sucks on are also what makes Skyrim a better and more unique game.

It all comes down to the modding community. Because they leave so many things that basically have to be improved on, the modding community is naturally more active. And fans of the game tend to know better what fans want than a large dev team ever could. Or at least - there's a more direct line for communicating what is needed and making it happen. This results in a game that can be better tailored to a wide range of people and the niche groups just as well. With the mods out there now, it can be basically anything you want it to be, whether that be just a better game or another game. When it comes to both appearance and gameplay, two modded Skyrims can pretty much be completely different games. And I don't know that this would happen if Bethesda wasn't screwing so much up. All of this depth and diversity started with a high demand to make a half-baked game more finished and polished... ...and then it just kept going until modders managed to essentially make several completely new games based on the original.

Whether you agree with it or not, this makes for the sort of game that would be hard to imagine coming from any dev team in a vacuum. It makes it very unique. I personally think Beth really needs to get a lot together - the people playing your game shouldn't have to roll out all of your patches for game-breaking bugs for you. That looks bad. But still... ...some things do work out nicely in the end. I'll just say they owe a lot to the modding community that supports them. And if those people aren't getting paid, they should be.

A few people mentioned graphics... ...I think in an exploration-based game, graphics are much more important to immersion than they would be in a game that was more about the action or puzzle-solving. I'd even argue that story is less critical. Who plays TES for the story anyway? I think I did Skyrim's main questline once. And it took forever because I kept getting distracted. The idea is to create an atmosphere that draws you in. A vague story is good. It creates a mystique that implores the player to see the world for themselves and use their own judgement to make it what it is. I think TES generally does a good job here. Skyrim is not the prettiest game, but the actual atmosphere does have a way of keeping you playing. It just has this look and feel to it that makes you wanna see more. And no matter how long you play, you never feel like you've truly grasped everything.

I WOULD like to see them improve on that and bring the graphics up to a respectable level for the release time this time around. No way around that really.

The lore is almost better for all of its vague, convoluted, contradictory nonsense. It gives the world this nascent, shifting quality, like taking part in a famous legend... not as it actually happened but as it exists in peoples minds. No two people tell the story the same - and it can vary greatly depending on where you're hearing it. As you go about picking up pieces of the lore, new additions can change how you see old ones in interesting ways. In the meantime you may have forgotten some things that have now been replaced and its left you with a different perspective. It's almost less like a story and more like a strange dream. I'm not sure if this is intentional or just incompetent, but I think leaving things up to forced interpretation works in their favor. As with any legend, the story is whatever you want it to be and can change depending on what you choose to believe from a reference point that is unique to your personal experience. It makes the world seem more alive - more a part of you. It's just more personal... ...kind of the backdrop to the story you want rather than its own encapsulated thing. Keeps things more interesting than a more concrete, point a to point b storyline. If you wish it to be that, you'll wind up disappointed. I don't think it's meant to be that, and I really pray they don't try to make it that, like they did with Fallout.

Now, do I think they meant for it to be that way? Naw. I think they probably have a hard time keeping track of their own lore with how long the series has been running and how many people have contributed. I do think they at least know by now that it bolsters them, though. If they're smart, they'll never tie up their lore and fix all of the inconsistencies. I know for me, the jacked up lore still keeps me playing, in a really weird way. I know it doesn't always make sense, but somehow I like it that way?

One thing that's inexcusable is that god awful recycled engine. Many of the games flaws grow on you, but that, and all the bugs aren't so charming. No denying the games have always been clunky as hell. And often just... unfinished.

That's my two cents. Bethesda kinda sucks, but perhaps by some cosmic coincidence the weaknesses of TES are part of what make it an endearing series, for me at least. Bethesda are not what made the last Elder Scrolls good, and most of what they did do right wasn't intentional. They're either brilliant or very lucky. They definitely have a lot of work to do and a lot to answer to. But somehow I feel like it'll all work out.

Or maybe it'll be a steaming pile and everyone will finally get sick of their shit :p

Last edited:
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
I disagree. I personally buy AAA games for their quality of story and gameplay FIRST, and then graphics. Sure graphics helps, but only that much. If the game is only mindless wandering and shooting, then I'm better off with junk like Serious Sam or any Zombie games there. At least those games provide a different kind of fun.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Software Windows 10 Pro
I disagree. I personally buy AAA games for their quality of story and gameplay FIRST, and then graphics. Sure graphics helps, but only that much. If the game is only mindless wandering and shooting, then I'm better off with junk like Serious Sam or any Zombie games there. At least those games provide a different kind of fun.
I don't disagree with that at all. I was more meaning to imply that an exploration game without anything to look at is pretty much sunk. In a game where you're supposed to be immersed in the world, as though you're a part of it, the atmosphere needs to be good. And to pull this off, aesthetic is crucial. The gameplay can be kinda meh and the story can be a little hard to follow, but so long as they don't suck completely, it'll still suck you in. It's not just about "Oooo look at those pretty pixels." It's about creating this environment that you just want to bask in and really appreciate. It doesn't even have to be fancy or dazzling. It's about crafting a look, not necessarily high-end graphics. Big difference imo. Skyrim didn't have good graphics, but the visuals made it stand out just the same because they were honed with care and purpose, even if they weren't exactly well-rendered.

And as far as story goes, I was saying I think that although TES doesn't have what most people would consider a functional story in a traditional sense, it just happens to add to the allure of the world that they've built up. It may not always fit together, but all of the little details and seemingly contradictory things that would normally hold a story back just don't in this case. They get away with that. Doesn't mean a game with no story or a garbage story really stands a chance in my book. It doesn't.

I'm generally more in favor of the balanced approach. I don't want a game with bad anything. Doesn't matter if it's graphics, story, or gameplay. Sometimes one of those things can be terrible and the rest makes up for it, but I'd rather all of them be solid and have reasonable compromises on all fronts. This is what I'd like to see Bethesda do with TES. Dunno if they can pull it off, but it'd sure be nice.

I hear what you're saying. To me, graphics are kind of on a different level from story and gameplay. You expect a current AAA game to be up to the current graphical standards. That's less something that a game stands out for and more a minimum requirement. Past that, it's just not as important as the actual meat of the game. Without that you just have fluff, which is just kind of a mean trick that gets played on the player.

Last edited:
System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
I'd be surprised if it's High Rock. We already had Daggerfall...which is like the greatest Elder Scrolls game... that no one has played. :p

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) EVGA 980ti FTW
Storage (OS)Samsung 950 Pro (512GB), (Data) WD Reds
Display(s) 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GAME ONE
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Deck Hassium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

This is my philosophy to all games from indie to AAA. An example to this is why I play Crusader Kings 2. Probably a boring game to most people and it certainly doesn't draw crowds for its graphics. The gameplay is what keeps you playing: losing track of thousands of hours of your life.

Another example (that no longer applies to me and hasn't for year) is WoW. Certainly not played for its graphics, but the game experience that is addictive to people.

Anyways, I am looking forward to this release. I'll probably wait a month or two after its release to play it to allow for patching. I find doing this makes games more enjoyable.

People who are working on texture are not working for free. IMO it is like this, to have best graphics you have to spend most of your resources on game engine and on graphics instead of giving priority to game experience. Almost all games that have top graphics are either games with shit epxerience or are short. While all enjoyble and amazing, long lasting games has either Very good (1-2 years behind current top standards) or Good graphics.

An engine is reusable and its assets too so it's possible to have the best of both world.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Processor Core i9-9900k
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax ETS-T50 Black CPU cooler
Memory 32GB (2x16) Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 4070 Ti Super OC 16GB
Storage 1x 1TB MX500 SSD; 1x 6TB WD Black; 2x 4TB WD Black; 1x 1TB BX500 SSD; 1x 6TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) Infievo 27" 165Hz @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-1000 Gold
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
E
An engine is reusable and its assets too so it's possible to have the best of both world.
except the current engine is not reusable anymore. It reached its limit with Oblivion. They need to provide a new, 64 bit engine to handle not only today’s textures, but thousands of NPC’s, quests, and schedules.

E
except the current engine is not reusable anymore. It reached its limit with Oblivion. They need to provide a new, 64 bit engine to handle not only today’s textures, but thousands of NPC’s, quests, and schedules.

True and unfortunately, I haven't heard or read anywhere that they are developing an engine.

Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus TUF-Gaming B550-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon Rx 580 Nitro+ 8GB
Storage HP EX950 512GB + Samsung 970 PRO 1TB
Display(s) HP Z Display Z24i G2
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650W Gold
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO Remastered
Software Windows 10 x64
From what I read, they added some major stuff to it with Fallout 4, specifically making it 64bit, but it still has completely shitty LOD system for example.
I think I also read that they can't move to a different engine because of the moddability.
On the other hand, they sure as hell must know it inside out after all those years, and so with some friggin effort should be able to rework it into at least half decent shape.
But then again, it's Bethesda we're talking about, with Toad Howard the pathological liar on top of the foodchain.

From what I read, they added some major stuff to it with Fallout 4, specifically making it 64bit, but it still has completely shitty LOD system for example.
I think I also read that they can't move to a different engine because of the moddability.
On the other hand, they sure as hell must know it inside out after all those years, and so with some friggin effort should be able to rework it into at least half decent shape.
But then again, it's Bethesda we're talking about, with Toad Howard the pathological liar on top of the foodchain.

They might be able to do a super duper huge game using the same engine. But the biggest issue was the script nightmare when you open the console. It's then you realize Skyrim has been half done and there was a sh*t load of stuff missing from the final product (dynamic war and battles for example).

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
They'd better have more kahjiits this time... skyrim didn't have enough KITTIES!!!!!

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Case NZXT H710
Software Windows 10 Pro
Did you just call him Toad Howard?! TOAD?! For some reason that is blowing my mind.

Sorry *ahem* The 64 bit engine definitely helped... ...it made things much more stable ime. Though since the game was originally 32 bit, it doesn't really take advantage of half of what 64 bit allows for. A natively 64 bit TES game built around a better-honed 64-bit engine would be significantly better than what we've seen. It would have a lot of potential. And they could probably fix a lot of the problems with the engine. I mean... if they wanted to...

They might be able to do a super duper huge game using the same engine. But the biggest issue was the script nightmare when you open the console. It's then you realize Skyrim has been half done and there was a sh*t load of stuff missing from the final product (dynamic war and battles for example).
Haaaa, yeah. They're a very ambitious bunch. So much so that they spend years honing all of these little things and packing-in all of these really grand ideas... ...at the expense of things that are fundamentally more important sometimes. And then after years of work, they finish two thirds of what they set out to... ...with not even enough time to take all of the scraps out of the game. Always has to be bigger... and have this... and that, and OOOO!!! OOOO!!! YES THIIISSS! SOO SWEET. Awww yeah this is gonna be epic!

It's always like "Okay onto the next thing!" before they even fully establish what they're already working on. For a group that puts out games so slowly, they move too fast. They can be so meticulous, and yet sometimes it's like they just don't think things through. They don't plan shit.

They basically operate like an ADHD college kid hopped up on too much amphetamine. Super passionate, super dedicated, but blissfully unaware of the limitations of reality... ...or what the paper they started yesterday morning was supposed to cover. It's now the length of a small book, nobody knows what it's trying to say, and it meets about half of the requirements for the assignment. But man, does it have everything. Just a glorious, meticulous, and painstakingly assembled smattering of THINGS and STUFF that are really, truly quite amazing... ...and will ultimately get a C+.

Like... just think about what Skyrim would've been like if they took all of that time and manpower that got poured into all the unfinished stuff left buried and devoted it to... anything else. Maybe the engine wouldn't be so bad or the game so bugged if they would stop writing checks their asses couldn't cash instead of spending time, people, and resources on trying to bring, to vivid, fully-realized life, every single interesting idea that somebody over there gets. ;)

They'd better have more kahjiits this time... skyrim didn't have enough KITTIES!!!!!
Nah, too many different models to generate with khajiits ranging in form and size from being housecat-like to sabercat-like, to skeletal/humanoid, to being more like mammoths. I would like to see more khajiit lore too though... ...or at least a greater presence. Maybe some khajiit weapons/armor.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus TUF-Gaming B550-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon Rx 580 Nitro+ 8GB
Storage HP EX950 512GB + Samsung 970 PRO 1TB
Display(s) HP Z Display Z24i G2
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650W Gold
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO Remastered
Software Windows 10 x64
System Name Negra5
Processor i5 6500
Motherboard ASUS Z170M-Plus
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX3
Memory Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4
Video Card(s) PNY GTX-1070, XFX RX480
Storage Gigabyte 256GB SSD, WD 1TB HDD, WD 4TB HDD.
Display(s) SAMSUNG 32" FullHD
Case GAMING EAGLE WARRIOR CG-06R1
Audio Device(s) nVidia HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair GS800W 80 Plus Bronze
Mouse Cooler Master Devastator MS2k
Keyboard Cooler Master Devastator MB24
Software Windows 10 20H2
Benchmark Scores Pfft
Skyrim was not the most graphical intensive game back in 2011... it was already behind by 2-3 years compared to other games. DX9 in late 2011 when there were a bunch of DX11 games since 2009.

I love Skyrim and have a bunch of top 100 mods in Nexus, but damn how could Bethesda be considered one of the top 3 all times Developers alongside RockStar... i can see them as one of the top 10 but not on the top three, their games are EXTREMELY buggy and usually released in a non working state... there are a lot of quest stopping bugs even on SkyrimSE.

And... i was right.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
I think their games work just fine out of the box... if you actually treat them as out of the box experiences (no modding lol). Except in the PS3's case, Skyrim was fairly stable in a vanilla state. It's when you mod (and you should want to), that you realize what a house of cards it really is.

System Name 1.FortySe7en VR rig 2. intel teliscope rig 3.MSI GP72MVR Leopard Pro .E-52699, Xeon play thing
Processor 1.3900x @stock 2. i7 7700k @5. 3. i7 7700hq
Motherboard 1.aorus x570 ultra 2. z270 Maximus IX Hero,4 MR9A PRO ATX X99
Cooling 1.Hard tube loop, cpu and gpu 2. Hard loop cpu and gpu 4 360 AIO
Memory 1.Gskill neo @3600 32gb 2.hyperxfury 32gb @3000 3. 16gb hyperx @2400 4 64GB 2133 in quad channel
Video Card(s) 1.GIGABYTE RTX 3080 WaterForce WB 2. Aorus RTX2080 3. 1060 3gb. 4 Arc 770LE 16 gb
Storage 1 M.2 500gb , 2 3tb HDs 2. 256gb ssd, 3tbHD 3. 256 m.2. 1tb ssd 4. 2gb ssd
Display(s) 1.LG 50" UHD , 2 MSI Optix MAG342C UWHD. 3.17" 120 hz display 4. Acer Preditor 144hz 32inch.z
Case 1. Thermaltake P5 2. Thermaltake P3 4. some cheapo case that should not be named.
Audio Device(s) 1 Onboard 2 Onboard 3 Onboard 4. onboard.
Power Supply 1.seasonic gx 850w 2. seasonic gx 750w. 4 RM850w
Mouse 1 ROG Gladius 2 Corsair m65 pro
Keyboard 1. ROG Strix Flare 2. Corsair F75 RBG 3. steelseries RBG
VR HMD rift and rift S and Quest 2.
Software 1. win11 pro 2. win11 pro 3, win11 home 4 win11 pro
Benchmark Scores 1.7821 cb20 ,cb15 3442 1c 204 cpu-z 1c 539 12c 8847 2. 1106 cb 3.cb 970
I carnt wait, hope thay do a VR . good news at last. thanks. charl.