• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CCP Says They Expected the VR Market to Boom Much Sooner

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Coolermaster Master Liquid ML240L RGB
Memory 64GB DDR4 3200 (4x16GB)
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Display(s) Asus VE276Q, VE278Q and VK278Q triple 27” 1920x1080
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic 650W
VR HMD Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest V1, Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 64bit
No, someone will have to pry my vive out of my cool dead fingers, before I get rid of it.. lol or the next Gen Steam HMD (LG I'm talking to you!) is released with the knuckle controllers then I will retire my Vive and give it to one of my kids.. hehe

Well, tell us how you really feel,..... :)

Good on you then. Great to hear someone is happy with it because that is what brings the value of the product to the individual.

I'm happy with my Oculus Rift but I am keenly aware that the Vive is the better product IMO.

With respect to EVE: Valkyrie though it was not just the introductory price but rather the demo that killed it for me. While the demo was fun IMO once it got started, it was just too short. Sure you get some kind of feel for the game but it just wasn't enough of a taste of the game for me to commit to it with a purchase. To be fair I tried other VR demos and ended up buying full games because of the demo. With EVE: Valkyrie it was about the opposite.

They made mistakes with that game and they just aren't owning it.

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
System Name Tower of Power / Sechs
Processor i7 14700K / i7 5820k @ 4.5ghz
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4 / X99S GAMING 7
Cooling CM MasterLiquid ML360 Mirror ARGB Close-Loop AIO / CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600 / G.Skill DDR4 2800 16GB 4x4GB
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4070 Ti / ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 V2 OC Edition
Storage 4x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2, 2x Crucial 1TB SSD / Samsung 870 PRO 500GB M.2
Display(s) Samsung 32" Odyssy G5 Gaming 144hz 1440p, ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p / 2x ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p
Case Phantek "400A" / Phanteks “Enthoo Pro series”
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC4080 / Azalia Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Corsair RM Series RM750 / Corsair CXM CX600M
Mouse Glorious Gaming Model D Wireless / Razer DeathAdder Chroma
Keyboard Glorious GMMK with box-white switches / Keychron K6 pro with blue swithes
VR HMD Quest 3 (128gb) + Rift S + HTC Vive + DK1
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 / Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Yes
Well, tell us how you really feel,..... :)

Good on you then. Great to hear someone is happy with it because that is what brings the value of the product to the individual.

I'm happy with my Oculus Rift but I am keenly aware that the Vive is the better product IMO.

With respect to EVE: Valkyrie though it was not just the introductory price but rather the demo that killed it for me. While the demo was fun IMO once it got started, it was just too short. Sure you get some kind of feel for the game but it just wasn't enough of a taste of the game for me to commit to it with a purchase. To be fair I tried other VR demos and ended up buying full games because of the demo. With EVE: Valkyrie it was about the opposite.

They made mistakes with that game and they just aren't owning it.
Yea, CCP only treated it as a cash grab with a high price of entry and then adding microtransaction along with it. They should have focused on making the game better. They only have themselves to blame for not making money on it. Also, I think everyone was expecting VR to be bigger than what it is today. What hurt VR's pace was high HMD prices to start and the lack of content to help push it. If Oculus would have sold their CV1 at Lucky's ballpark price of $350 then I would have an Oculus Rift CV1. I did pay $799 for my Vive but it was because of room scale and I had the extra cash to spare at the time.

Processor Intel i7 10700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Pro AX
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHZ (2X16GB)
Video Card(s) Palit GTX1080ti Super JetStream 11GB
Storage Trandscend 370s 256GB / WD Caviar Black 2+1TB
Display(s) Acer XB270HU 144hz Gsync
Case Phanteks Eclipse P600S White
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZXR
Power Supply Corsair RM1000X 1000W 80 Plus Gold
Anything that adds more hassles to gaming/movie watching will never be popular. 3D tech already proved that.

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
Anything that adds more hassles to gaming/movie watching will never be popular. 3D tech already proved that.
Nah. The Wii proved that as long as it's reasonably easy to set up, cheap, and makes for a good experience, people are more than willing to buy all kinds of weird doo-dads. But it absolutely needs an image of not being a hassle, being easy to use, and it needs to convince users that it makes the experience noticeably better.

Processor Intel i7 10700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Pro AX
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHZ (2X16GB)
Video Card(s) Palit GTX1080ti Super JetStream 11GB
Storage Trandscend 370s 256GB / WD Caviar Black 2+1TB
Display(s) Acer XB270HU 144hz Gsync
Case Phanteks Eclipse P600S White
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZXR
Power Supply Corsair RM1000X 1000W 80 Plus Gold
Nah. The Wii proved that as long as it's reasonably easy to set up, cheap, and makes for a good experience, people are more than willing to buy all kinds of weird doo-dads. But it absolutely needs an image of not being a hassle, being easy to use, and it needs to convince users that it makes the experience noticeably better.

Well, Wii is a fad too, but a long-lived one. I haven't seen any new, successful motion controlled games for years. I know a lot of Wii owners who can't remember the last time they hook it up and play games on it. Most of them moved on to PS4 and back to couch gaming. When I ask why the most frequent answer I get is 'it's too much of a hassle'.

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
Well, Wii is a fad too, but a long-lived one. I haven't seen any new, successful motion controlled games for years. I know a lot of Wii owners who can't remember the last time they hook it up and play games on it. Most of them moved on to PS4 and back to couch gaming. When I ask why the most frequent answer I get is 'it's too much of a hassle'.
Sure, it won a lot through sheer novelty, but its staying power proved that the concept is viable. VR doesn't need to be more of a hassle than using a Wii, and as for it being too much of a hassle today, that's not really surprising given that there hasn't been a Wii game released for ... at least 5 years? Who would want to rig up a console to play a 5+-year old game? Not many. Plus the fact that the Wii U messed up Nintendo's messaging greatly, essentially losing the entire market share they'd gained with the Wii. People might say it's about the hassle, but they didn't mind that hassle when there were reasonably new, fun games to play. Sure, the Nintendo version of Dongle Hell (plastic accessory hell?) reached a saturation point, not least when they were increasingly single-use accessories, but there's no reason why single-cable VR with inside-out tracking shouldn't be able to attain mass adoption. It's just a question of cost plus quantity and quality of content. The Wii arguably fell a bit short on the latter, but it was cheap enough and fun enough for it not to matter. Heck, I've played more hours of Wii Sports than I care to think about. I could see myself enjoying VR quite a lot - but not if I have to pay >$400 for a sub-par experience.