• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Samsung Launches The New 860 QVO SSD Starting At $149.99 For The 1 TB Model

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I agree that it could not be their use case, but it's still a pro, and that's something to keep in mind anyway, even if you reach not even half TBW in 100 years, it's still better to have more than less especially when the specs are not that precise. Anyway be it 3 be it 5 or be it 10€ i'd still go for the samsung no doubt for all the reasons i talked about earlier, and because it's samsung, and not crucial.
Oh and don't you think i'm mad with crucial or something (i'm not the kind of guy who has affection towards brands, actually the opposite, the good words i have for samsung are only based on my personal, and not, experience with it), i've suggested their SSDs in all the builds i recently made for people i know, just because the price was not this close, and even because i never went checking properly prices or performance differences with EVO series from samsung.

10 eur on a 250 GB drive, but for larger capacities the gap increases of course. Your preferences are your own, Im just saying base them on the right data, and TBW is not a good indicator of quality in that sense. Just as little as MTBF. Fact remains both drives have TLC and solid controllers and Crucial offers a cheaper drive. The rest is whatever you want to make of it. My techspot link earlier shows that these drives ALL far exceed their specced life time. We are debating a non issue versus a very real price gap.

If you have actual data and sources that prove Sammys superior quality I am all ears...

Processor i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/Gen 3
Cooling ZeroTherm FZ120
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws 4x4GB DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 6G Gaming X
Storage Samsung 830 Pro 256GB + WD Caviar Blue 1TB
Display(s) Samsung PX2370 + Acer AL1717
Case Antec 1200 v1
Audio Device(s) aune x1s
Power Supply Enermax Modu87+ 800W
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Qpad MK80
If you have actual data and sources that prove Sammys superior quality I am all ears...

Again, speeds and TBW, and there's nothing more to add.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Make no mistake, it's not based on my personal preference, it's based on proven superior quality, in different things, the thing that's in question here is whether you want or not to pay that premium to get that higher quality, but it's there, and there's a reason why crucial doesn't price their stuff higher or in line with samsung's (except where i live)
I'm not sure where that "proven superior quality" comes from. I've read tons of review, none have hinted at that.
As for why Crucial is usually cheaper is two-fold. They don't have a line to rival Samsung's PRO drives (until very recently they didn't have any NVMe drives). And their business is more focused on selling to third parties. If anything, you could argue Samsung has better controllers. But quality of the flash memory? No review site has the means to look into that.

Oh, now I see. Speed is nothing, you get that from tuning the controller one way or another.
The only speed that matters is 4k random reads. And would you look at that: https://www.anandtech.com/show/12263/the-crucial-mx500-500gb-review/5 Crucial does better than some of Samsung's drives.
As for TBW, you said yourself the metric doesn't carry much weight because it's not standardized.
Now stop acting like a brat and try to be more mature.

Processor i7 2600K
Cooling ZeroTherm FZ120
Case Antec 1200 v1
Audio Device(s) aune x1s
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Qpad MK80
I'm not sure where that "proven superior quality" comes from. I've read tons of review, none have hinted at that.
As for why Crucial is usually cheaper is two-fold. They don't have a line to rival Samsung's PRO drives (until very recently they didn't have any NVMe drives). And their business is more focused on selling to third parties. If anything, you could argue Samsung has better controllers. But quality of the flash memory? No review site has the means to look into that.

Oh, now I see. Speed is nothing, you get that from tuning the controller one way or another.
The only speed that matters is 4k random reads. And would you look at that: https://www.anandtech.com/show/12263/the-crucial-mx500-500gb-review/5 Crucial does better than some of Samsung's drives.
As for TBW, you said yourself the metric doesn't carry much weight because it's not standardized.
Now stop acting like a brat and try to be more mature.

Just go look at several reviews, and no, there's no such thing as "the only speed that matters is 4k" not at all, they all matter, because when you write and read, you do with all sizes of loads. It seems ridiculous to me being here discussing how samsung is better than crucial, lol, it's like saying dacia is as good as renault, because they use renault's engines, rofl.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Just go look at several reviews, and no, there's no such thing as "the only speed that matters is 4k" not at all, they all matter, because when you write and read, you do with all sizes of loads. It seems ridiculous to me being here discussing how samsung is better than crucial, lol, it's like saying dacia is as good as renault, because they use renault's engines, rofl.
That's just the thing, nothing seems ridiculous off the bat to me. I'm open to discussion. Unfortunately, parroting thing like you do, is not a discussion. So you'll have to excuse me.

System Name Diablo | Baal | Mephisto | Andariel
Processor i5-3570K@4.4GHz | 2x Xeon X5675 | i7-4710MQ | i7-2640M
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth Z77 | HP DL380 G6 | Dell Precision M4800 | Lenovo Thinkpad X220 Tablet
Cooling Swiftech H220-X | Chassis cooled (6 fans + HS) | dual-fanned heatpipes | small-fanned heatpipe
Memory 32GiB DDR3-1600 CL9 | 96GiB DDR3-1333 ECC RDIMM | 32GiB DDR3L-1866 CL11 | 8GiB DDR3L-1600 CL11
Video Card(s) Dual GTX 670 in SLI | Embedded ATi ES1000 | Quadro K2100M | Intel HD 3000
Storage many, many SSDs and HDDs....
Display(s) 1 Dell U3011 + 2x Dell U2410 | HP iLO2 KVMoIP | 3200x1800 Sharp IGZO | 1366x768 IPS with Wacom pen
Case Corsair Obsidian 550D | HP DL380 G6 Chassis | Dell Precision M4800 | Lenovo Thinkpad X220 Tablet
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi HomeTheater HD | None | On-board | On-board
Power Supply Corsair AX850 | Dual 750W Redundant PSU (Delta) | Dell 330W+240W (Flextronics) | Lenovo 65W (Delta)
Mouse Logitech G502, Logitech G700s, Logitech G500, Dell optical mouse (emergency backup)
Keyboard 1985 IBM Model F 122-key, Ducky YOTT MX Black, Dell AT101W, 1994 IBM Model M, various integrated
Software FAAAR too much to list
10 eur on a 250 GB drive, but for larger capacities the gap increases of course. Your preferences are your own, Im just saying base them on the right data, and TBW is not a good indicator of quality in that sense. Just as little as MTBF. Fact remains both drives have TLC and solid controllers and Crucial offers a cheaper drive. The rest is whatever you want to make of it. My techspot link earlier shows that these drives ALL far exceed their specced life time. We are debating a non issue versus a very real price gap.

You're missing the point of QLC (and to a lesser extent TLC) drives by comparing small drives. QLC is about making very large drives, very cheap, so really, you should be looking at the 1TB and larger sizes.

In which case, I bought a 1TB 860 EVO in M.2 shape last Saturday for 128USD (if you were fast, you could even get the 2.5" version for 110USD), while the 1TB Crucial MX500 was 139USD for the M.2 variant (128 for the 2.5"). Really, 860 EVO was cheaper, so I got it rather than the MX500.

Now, to bring it back to relevance to the article: the 860QVO is launching at $150/TB MSRP. While this looks high given the recent $110-150 860 EVOs flying out of warehouses, you have to remember that the 860 EVO was a $300/TB MSRP drive when it launched almost a year ago.. using NAND that has been pretty much unchanged since December 2014 (850 EVO). Personally, I reckon $75/TB for the QVO is easily gonna happen over the course of next year, with a decent change at hitting $50/TB, while the 860 EVO won't go under $90/TB.

Have some thoughts then.

TBW of endurance: well-known to be a super-conservative number, particularly with consumer products, with a workload that doesn't write much. For example, I have had a pair of 800GB S3500s in my desktop since july 2015. the worst hit drive got a 50GB (25GB for the other) of writes put onto it's super low 300TBW/0.3DWPD endurance rating in the 3 and a half years I've owned it.
MTBF: the time in MTBF refers to the time accumulated on all your devices summed together. so if you have a 1 million hour MTBF and a fleet of a literal million drives, you should expect 1 drive to fail every hour on average. It gives pretty much zero information on when our small time 2-3 ... or even 24 SSDs setups will actually fail.. if they fail at all.
Performance: for consumer SATA drives, sequential and QD32 4K IO is pretty much constant across the industry. The real magic all happens in the QD1-4 tier, and over there, the Samsung 850/860 Pro, Intel 730/DC S3xxx are the kings, followed by the 850/860 EVO and Crucial MX500. The fact that Samsung is straight up telling us the QD1 numbers for the QVO is seriously ballsy, cause it looks seriously weaksauce compared to basically everything else on the market.

Yes and no :). Consumer workloads are so poorly designed and optimized that according to Anandtech, their worst test ("The Destroyer") is about 60% QD1, with their light test hitting close to 90% QD1. Things that actually hit high QDs: databases, big datasets, hyper-dense VM/container deployments, SAN/NAS caches between the bulk storage HDDs and the RAM cache. None of those are mainstream desktop/laptop.

So really, if you want the best desktop experience, you go out there and buy the drive with the highest QD1-4 performance and lowest access latency possible, which right now looks something like this (best to worst): Optane, 970 Pro, 970 EVO, 960 Pro, 960 EVO, 850/860 Pro, 850/860 EVO/MX500.

PS: if the QVO line hits $50/TB or lower, I'm buying 8x4TB for my NAS, where it will be just perfect at being a WORM workhorse.

Processor i7 2600K
Cooling ZeroTherm FZ120
Case Antec 1200 v1
Audio Device(s) aune x1s
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Qpad MK80
Have some thoughts then.

TBW of endurance: well-known to be a super-conservative number, particularly with consumer products, with a workload that doesn't write much. For example, I have had a pair of 800GB S3500s in my desktop since july 2015. the worst hit drive got a 50GB (25GB for the other) of writes put onto it's super low 300TBW/0.3DWPD endurance rating in the 3 and a half years I've owned it.
MTBF: the time in MTBF refers to the time accumulated on all your devices summed together. so if you have a 1 million hour MTBF and a fleet of a literal million drives, you should expect 1 drive to fail every hour on average. It gives pretty much zero information on when our small time 2-3 ... or even 24 SSDs setups will actually fail.. if they fail at all.
Performance: for consumer SATA drives, sequential and QD32 4K IO is pretty much constant across the industry. The real magic all happens in the QD1-4 tier, and over there, the Samsung 850/860 Pro, Intel 730/DC S3xxx are the kings, followed by the 850/860 EVO and Crucial MX500. The fact that Samsung is straight up telling us the QD1 numbers for the QVO is seriously ballsy, cause it looks seriously weaksauce compared to basically everything else on the market.

Yes and no :). Consumer workloads are so poorly designed and optimized that according to Anandtech, their worst test ("The Destroyer") is about 60% QD1, with their light test hitting close to 90% QD1. Things that actually hit high QDs: databases, big datasets, hyper-dense VM/container deployments, SAN/NAS caches between the bulk storage HDDs and the RAM cache. None of those are mainstream desktop/laptop.

So really, if you want the best desktop experience, you go out there and buy the drive with the highest QD1-4 performance and lowest access latency possible, which right now looks something like this (best to worst): Optane, 970 Pro, 970 EVO, 960 Pro, 960 EVO, 850/860 Pro, 850/860 EVO/MX500.

PS: if the QVO line hits $50/TB or lower, I'm buying 8x4TB for my NAS, where it will be just perfect at being a WORM workhorse.

I don't understand the utility of your post, i mean don't take this wrong, but you're saying stuff me and probably the others know too, and i don't understand if that's meant to correct me, or agree with me.