• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Maxon Releases Cinebench R20 Benchmark

So we live in the day where absolutely free software is subjected to copyright and take-down threats.

Okay. I'm done.
Unplugging my PC's, throwing them out of the window.
No more software, no more hardware, no more internet for me.

Time to dust off that Stradivarius... and restart practicing on it.

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
Copyright is copyright, it doesn't matter if the software is free or paid; it is covered by copyright laws. You either have to protect your intellectual property or others will run roughshod over you and take advantage of you. The moment you do not enforce your copyrights is the moment you lose control over said intellectual property.

But you said you're going to chuck your computer out the window so you may not even be able to read this message.

Ray tracing is a light propagation model that treats light as rays (a stream of photons). So the algo itself is single-threaded and built around relatively simple operations.
Now, rendering is a task of running a ray tracing method many times independently. These runs can be done in parallel, as you said.

But the original issue was about poor HT effectiveness in this benchmark. I won't really comment on whether it's actually that bad (there's not enough data yet). But I wouldn't be surprised.
Remember how HT (SMT) works. A core in your CPU can hold and execute 2 processes at the same time... up to a point when they need a core element that's singular (e.g. ALU).
Some tasks leave a lot of computation potential unused (because the CPU spends more time on just working with data and communicating outside).
Ray tracing is very intense computationally.
I've seen a few tests showing that rendering doesn't benefit from HT as much as some other applications do.
Here's an example (quite extreme, as the site name suggests):
https://www.extremetech.com/computi...e-effects-of-hyper-threading-software-updates
You should be able to find a more recent one to check if things improved drastically since 2012 (but they haven't ;-)).
Thanks for the informative post. I do notice that at least in r15, Zen seems to gain more from SMT than Intel recent architecture. Is this due to wider core design in Zen? Thanks

So we live in the day where absolutely free software is subjected to copyright and take-down threats.

Okay. I'm done.
Unplugging my PC's, throwing them out of the window.
No more software, no more hardware, no more internet for me.

Time to dust off that Stradivarius... and restart practicing on it.
I'm more worried about tpu getting into trouble honestly. But I agree with your point

Ruru

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X h2o
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop, Arctic & Corsair fans
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce RTX 3080 TUF h2o
Storage ~3TB SSDs + 6TB external HDDs
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 + Lenovo 32" 4K60
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless