• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

News of Lisa Su Leaving AMD Was an Exaggeration: "Zero Truth to This Rumor"

AsRock

TPU addict
WOW, gotta hate rumors. They should learn to keep their mouths shut spreading such crap.

If she said already she's not leaving then she's not.

wccftech dislike AMD ?, never liked the site to begin with and managed to make me dislike it some more now.

AMD stock is where it is today because of good products and good roadmap not because of Lisa's presence per say ! Same goes for the community , community buys CPUs and GPUs not Lisas so yeah .....

Take's good leadership too.

Kinda have to agree with this.

Same here.

We will see how right the WCCFTech "leak" is in time. I'm sure if it is right, we will here about it, and if it is wrong, I'm sure we will here that too.

They have gotten this stuff right in the past. They leaked that Raja was headed to Intel (before the announcement), as well as a couple of others.

To be honest this wouldn't shock me. Lisa has got to be a very attractive hire for a lot of corporations at the moment. She worked at IBM for 12 years, rising to vice president of the semiconductor research and development center at IBM. So leaving AMD to be the number 2, with a possible succession plan to be CEO of IBM would be a no brainer. There really aren't many more prestigious jobs in the tech world than CEO of IBM (I would be hard pressed to think of one).

The fact that she felt the need to respond is interesting to me. If this was complete crap, then why dignify it at all. Her response probably brought more attention to the rumor than the original rumor by itself.

Last edited:

techmagnet

AdoredTV alone spread more BS than all wccf tech articles in the last year, and most of you believed on 8 core/16t chips at 5ghz all core and 250€ price (lel).

Wccf this year were the first ones reporting:

2070 super specs
Navi pre launch price drop
9900ks
MSI b450 max

And the list goes on. For a "fud" website, not bad at all.

I think AdoredTV nailed the leaks. AMD just didn't show all the products in one go, remember Zen2+ is coming the better half of Jim's leaks might come out.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Oh, yeah, she would leave to go down a rank in a company that she doesn’t truly believe in as much as AMD......

AMD has become her child. I truly believe it wouldn’t be in the position it is today without her. She spearheaded the whole operation into the success it is today.

Still working on it too

I could understand if it was Forbes, CNBC, WSJ or another serious business outlet. It was WCCFTech, not exactly a well know, or regarded source.
While that's a good point, rumors tend to spiral out of control if not addressed quickly, which can result in raised eyebrows among investors and even shaky confidence. She made the correct choice to respond on an official level so swiftly.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
While that's a good point, rumors tend to spiral out of control if not addressed quickly, which can result in raised eyebrows among investors and even shaky confidence. She made the correct choice to respond on an official level so swiftly.

Yup she Addressed the rumor as it is, a rumor, which are not based upon factual information but assumptions.

I can agree, if she stays. If we find out in a couple of weeks or months that she has been hired at IBM, then not so much.

I just hope that this isn't a case of negotiations going on quietly behind the scenes and now because of WCCFTech, IBM backs off (preferring things to have been done quietly). If she had a shot at that position and wanted it, I hope this doesn't mess it up for her. She deserves to be at a position like CEO of IBM.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
I can agree, if she stays. If we find out in a couple of weeks or months that she has been hired at IBM, then not so much.

I just hope that this isn't a case of negotiations going on quietly behind the scenes and now because of WCCFTech, IBM backs off (preferring things to have been done quietly). If she had a shot at that position and wanted it, I hope this doesn't mess it up for her. She deserves to be at a position like CEO of IBM.

Far off, you are.

She is CEO of AMD and her goals are to renew the Company and make it a Strong Contender, Innovator and Leader in Microprocessors and GPUs.

She can only do it a step at a time with their operating income being smaller than Intel.

Far off, you are.

She is CEO of AMD and her goals are to renew the Company and make it a Strong Contender, Innovator and Leader in Microprocessors and GPUs.

She can only do it a step at a time with their operating income being smaller than Intel.

So, she has no ambitions beyond AMD? You know this for a fact? You've spoken to her privately about this?

You do realize that she worked at IBM longer than she has worked at AMD. I don't know if she has or had any interest, but it definetly would shock me.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard MSI MPG Z790I Edge WiFi Gaming
Cooling be quiet! Pure Loop 240mm
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 (G95SC)
Case LANCOOL 205M MESH Snow
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on schitt Modi+ & Valhalla 2
Power Supply ASUS ROG Loki SFX-L 1000W
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software openSUSE Tumbleweed
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Oh, yeah, she would leave to go down a rank in a company that she doesn’t truly believe in as much as AMD......

AMD has become her child. I truly believe it wouldn’t be in the position it is today without her. She spearheaded the whole operation into the success it is today.

I agree, IDK how #2 at IBM would be a vertical move for her at all.

I agree, IDK how #2 at IBM would be a vertical move for her at all.

Because of the size and prestige of IBM. If she was leaving to be the no. 2, it would probably include a plan in place for her to eventually take over the top spot.

AsRock

TPU addict
We will see how right the WCCFTech "leak" is in time. I'm sure if it is right, we will here about it, and if it is wrong, I'm sure we will here that too.

They have gotten this stuff right in the past. They leaked that Raja was headed to Intel (before the announcement), as well as a couple of others.

To be honest this wouldn't shock me. Lisa has got to be a very attractive hire for a lot of corporations at the moment. She worked at IBM for 12 years, rising to vice president of the semiconductor research and development center at IBM. So leaving AMD to be the number 2, with a possible succession plan to be CEO of IBM would be a no brainer. There really aren't many more prestigious jobs in the tech world than CEO of IBM (I would be hard pressed to think of one).

The fact that she felt the need to respond is interesting to me. If this was complete crap, then why dignify it at all. Her response probably brought more attention to the rumor than the original rumor by itself.

Well for her to leave on a high note would only look good for the next placement, So yeah it could happen all so it could damage AMD by her leaving too. So if she did leave it would not say much about her really and could indicate that AMD are possibly be in trouble soon.

This is why i personally like these kinds of rumors.

I guess we will have to see.

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
AdoredTV alone spread more BS than all wccf tech articles in the last year, and most of you believed on 8 core/16t chips at 5ghz all core and 250€ price (lel).
Oh, tone down the BS (and hate).
Adored got hooked on a bait, didn't make shit up himself (harms), while wccftech is not only spitting out nonsense out of nowhere, but also retroactively edits the BS from the past.

The only reason to be mad at AdoredTV is if there is sphincter connection between you and The Leather Men or Intel, so when they feel pain, so do you.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
So, she has no ambitions beyond AMD? You know this for a fact? You've spoken to her privately about this?

You do realize that she worked at IBM longer than she has worked at AMD. I don't know if she has or had any interest, but it definetly would shock me.

Not a whole lot of interesting things happening at IBM these days. Most of what they do nowadays is try and research trendy technologies and make acquisitions, they are not the innovation powerhouse they used to be.

Only ambition here would be more cash I guess.

Not a whole lot of interesting things happening at IBM these days. Most of what they do nowadays is try and research trendy technologies and make acquisitions, they are not the innovation powerhouse they used to be.

Only ambition here would be more cash I guess.

Really? You sure about that?

No Innovation
Also No Innovation

I hate to break it to you, but IBM's R&D budget is 3.5x AMD's entire revenue.

Last edited:
System Name "Run of the mill" (except GPU)
Processor R9 3900X
Motherboard ASRock X470 Taich Ultimate
Cooling Cryorig (not recommended)
Memory 32GB (2 x 16GB) Team 3200 MT/s, CL14
Video Card(s) Radeon RX6900XT
Storage Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB NVMe
Display(s) Samsung Q95T
Case Define R5
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1000W
Mouse Roccat Leadr
Keyboard K95 RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro x64, insider preview dev channel
Benchmark Scores #1 worldwide on 3D Mark 99, back in the (P133) days. :)
That sounds like "researching trendy tech" to me. :)

Getting it working for real world applications is the next challenge.

System Name Good enough
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Really? You sure about that?

No Innovation
Also No Innovation

As I said, they focus on researching trendy technologies. I am glad you are easily impressed by cool web pages with pretty pictures and fancy words, but for me, these things need to be used on a large scale to prove their worth.

I hate to break it to you, but IBM's R&D budget is 3.5x AMD's entire revenue.

And ?

If we're comparing AMD with IBM on common ground, namely the design and manufacturing of semiconductor computing devices the picture is quite sad actually, for IBM. PowerPC is dead and every other endeavor related to it, products using these chips aren't around us no more. Meanwhile AMD is quite literally at the forefront of innovation here.

Last edited:
System Name System V
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-P
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 // a bunch of 120 mm Xigmatek 1500 RPM fans (2 ins, 3 outs)
Memory 2x8GB Ballistix Sport LT 3200 MHz (BLS8G4D32AESCK.M8FE) (CL16-18-18-36)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte AORUS Radeon RX 580 8 GB
Storage SHFS37A240G / DT01ACA200 / WD20EZRX / ST10000VN0008 / SA400S37960G / SNV21000G / NM620 2TB
Display(s) LG 22MP55 IPS Display
Case NZXT Source 210
Audio Device(s) Logitech G430 Headset
Power Supply Corsair CX650M
Mouse Microsoft Trackball Optical 1.0
Keyboard HP Vectra VE keyboard (Part # D4950-63004)
Software Whatever build of Windows 11 is being served in Dev channel at the time.
Benchmark Scores Corona 1.3: 3120620 r/s Cinebench R20: 3355 FireStrike: 12490 TimeSpy: 4624
There was a rumor? First Ive ever heard of this said "rumor"

Less than 2 hours after wccftech posted on Twitter their rumor piece Su herself replied that it was not true. That's probably why it didn't last long.

EDIT: Looking at the TW thread, lots of "phew!", "thank god" and similar replies to Lisa's answer :D

Last edited:
As I said, they focus on researching trendy technologies. I am glad you are easily impressed by cool web pages with pretty pictures and fancy words, but for me, these things need to be used on a large scale to prove their worth.

You do realize how innovation works, right? Someone has to work on it before it becomes used in a large scale. That is exactly what they are doing with quantum computing. Just because it's "trendy" doesn't discount their leadership in the field. Do you really think that there is more "innovation" at AMD?

And ?

If we're comparing AMD with IBM on common ground, namely the design and manufacturing of semiconductor computing devices the picture is quite sad actually, for IBM. PowerPC is dead, has been for quite some time and products using these chips aren't around us no more. Meanwhile AMD is quite literally at the forefront here.

That interesting, because IBM Power Systems had a quarterly hardware revenue of $1.49 billion (almost exactly what AMD's entire revenue was) last quarter. That figure doesn't include software, service or support which is estimated to be around $5.95 billion. So yeah, Power is dead. LOL.

Source

System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Do you really think that there is more "innovation" at AMD?

In the area mentioned in my previous comment, yes, I do and it should be pretty obvious. And let's stop comparing them overall, they operate in different markets.

That interesting, because IBM Power Systems had a quarterly hardware revenue of $1.49 billion (almost exactly what AMD's entire revenue was) last quarter. That figure doesn't include software, service or support which is estimated to be around $5.95 billion.

Instead of repeatedly throwing revenue figures at me (I get it IBM has a lot of cash), why not show me some market share figures for data centers using their chips ? What's their presence there among AMD, Intel and Nvidia ?