• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft's Chromium-based Edge Browser Now Available in Beta

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
I've seen this. Seems Microsoft has pulled out the goods. This beta of Edge seems to be running better that Chrome. Very interesting. Hate to say it, but they may have done right here..
Yep, Microsoft has actually done a damn good job with this new browser. It's convinced me to use a Microsoft web browser again. Who knew we'd be praising Microsoft here.

Excuse me while I go to the restroom, I need to use Listerine to get the taste of praising Microsoft out of my mouth. Something about it just tastes funny.

Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Yup, I need to go wash my hands after typing out that comment...
You might need to burn the keyboard too. :laugh:

I'm using this browser full time, what better way to really put it through its paces than to use it full time. For being a beta version it's stable, like really stable.

You might need to burn the keyboard too. :laugh:
Actually I had that thought... Playfully of course... :laugh::roll:
I'm using this browser full time, what better way to really put it through its paces than to use it full time. For being a beta version it's stable, like really stable.
Oooo, just don't do anything important. Use a more secure browser for things that require actual security, like online banking and what not.

Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Oooo, just don't do anything important. Use a more secure browser for things that require actual security, like online banking and what not.
Yes, but one can argue that everything is secure up until someone finds an exploit. Since this new browser is based largely on the very same engine that Google Chrome uses (namely Chromium), one could say that it's just as secure as Google Chrome is.

Yes, but one can argue that everything is secure up until someone finds an exploit. Since this new browser is based largely on the very same engine that Google Chrome uses (namely Chromium), one could say that it's just as secure as Google Chrome is.
Safety through obscurity? LOL! It's your life, just thought to being the voice of reason.

Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
I'm just saying, can one really trust their web browser? Unless one takes the time to learn C/C++ programming and audits every line of code in the source code that's made available, we have to simply trust that the people who wrote the code know what they're doing. Chromium and by extension Google Chrome has survived the trial by fire, for the most part. I'm not saying that Google Chrome is 100% secure since really nothing can be but it's about as close to it as we can possibly get. Sure, it's gotten a number of exploits but they've largely been patched pretty fast and thanks to the sandboxing techniques that Chromium uses it's pretty much bulletproof. And like I said before, this new Edge browser is based upon the same code that Google Chrome is based upon namely Chromium.

I'm just saying, can one really trust their web browser?
Yup. Firefox has been checked, rechecked & rechecked again over and over. It's a continuous process and because the entire browser is open for the whole world to see, when there is a problem it is swiftly fixed. Chromium might be open source but Chrome isn't and neither is Edge. There are parts of both that are hidden from the public and thus we can not completely trust them. Fork projects like Iron and Comodo's Dragon can be trusted because all of the source is open for inspection.

No one can completely trust Edge because we have no idea what Microsoft has done to it. We have only their word to accept for it safety and security. We need only look to IE to see how much that word is worth.