• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel 2020 CES Conference: Live Blog

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
Sorry, but I don't understand how a thinking adult can write something like this in 2020.
Yes, ML/AI is just about some "algorithms" - like everything we do on computers. If you don't know any use case, google will help you...
Okay, here's a challenge: show me a real-world use case of AI with relevance for a relatively ordinary person that isn't already being done by conventional algorithms. Please. 'Cause I haven't seen a single one. I'd be impressed if you could even find one where a significant and relevant performance improvement can be seen.
Not everyone wants a desktop as well. I don't understand this argument...
Same with the "decade away". So what? We should wait for regulations and develop then? How would that evem work? :eek:
Sure, not everyone wants a desktop PC, so we don't expect car makers to talk about them in their keynotes, do we? And no, regulators don't (usually) develop technologies, but consumers shouldn't be being fed decade-or-more-away vaporware to create excitement for tech that might never show up either. All the hype for autonomous cars is just that: hype.
Imagine a situation where Netflix uses AV1 and only Intel has a hardware decoder. Youtube may be going for AV1 as well...
For these streaming companies making more efficient codecs is the primary way to save costs.
This is nothing new, all streaming providers have migrated across codecs already, most from something previous to H.265 to H.265. The thing you're missing is that they don't scrub their libraries of the other formats when this is done. You're trying to make this out as some situation where end users will actually notice the transition, which it isn't - it just means that Netflix can plan to scrub legacy formats from their libraries X years ahead when most people have moved on to hardware supporting AV1. This has zero impact on consumers. What do I care if Netflix or YouTube saves money? YT is free, and there's no way those savings are doing anything but padding Netflix's bottom line.
And Intel's presentation was all about "consumer electronics", just from the tech point of view (not final products). AMD's presentation was mostly about gaming and occasionally about "creators". And just a small part of consumers does that.
Intel's presentation was about potential consumer electronics in various fields that either don't exist or don't work. Fiction at best. And, key, their major field of expertise, which also tends to consist of real consumer electronics, was barely mentioned whatsoever.
Most people associate AI with autonomous cars, robots, terminators etc. It's just not true. :)
I know. There's nothing revolutionary about AI whatsoever, just a massive hype train over fancy algorithms that don't do much new.
Dell just announced XPS laptops will learn how you use them, to optimize your workflow over time. We'll see more and more applications like that.
So your laptop kind of "thinks". But it's not really "Skynet scenario", is it?
... you actually believe that? Tell me, how is your laptop supposed to "optimize your workflow"? In what way? This is typical vague nonsense that will never, ever pan out. Is it supposed to tell you when to take toilet breaks and when to drink more coffee, or nag you when you've been spending too much time talking to your colleagues?

There are some very tiny improvements that can be made, like pre-loading applications into memory if behavior is recognized that could be a precursor to using that application, but ... that's not going to make any kind of difference unless all you do every day is open and close slow-loading applications.
The "AI" umbrella term includes ML. And that's what I do most of the time (at work and as a hobby). I benefit from the ML boost libraries and ML accelerators.
Good for you. You belong to a tiny niche even within the PC enthusiast space, which is itself a tiny niche of humanity. For the rest of us, this has pretty much zero tangible benefit.
As for "AI" itself, i.e. when the computer just decides how to do stuff - it's really nothing new. Photo/video editing software has been doing that for a long time. It's just that today we have chips and libraries that make this faster.
Which is exactly what I was saying. They're trying to sell (slightly fancy) algorithms as something brand new and revolutionary, when the fact is that real-world improvements from this tech are ... tiny. Outside of datacenters and research, at least.
And there are many more possible uses.
Maybe virus scanners will benefit. Maybe some productivity software will get faster (it already does). Maybe my laptop will last longer on battery. It's all great.
[/QUOTE]
Sure, some stuff will get marginally faster, some stuff will get marginally better, and things will improve over time. I'm all for smarter battery management and similar systems, as most computer infrastructure is shockingly dumb in a lot of ways. But none of this is anything close to the revolutionary PR BS they are trying to sell it as. AI is not a new computing paradigm, it's just more of the same. Which is fine - what we already have is pretty frickin' cool. But slight improvements to various parts of it isn't going to revolutionize anything, so they should really stop saying that.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
I ran across this and started laughing.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

"The Games that Intel plays..."

2060 vs 2080

Surreal, I am genuinely astonished by the shit our boy Ryan Shrout comes up with.

"the pinnacle of mobile gaming performance".

Yeah, but it's not Intel's pinnacle of performance is it ? It's Nvidia's. How does Nvidia feel about this ? Intel taking credit for the "the pinnacle of mobile gaming performance" is quite rich. They've somehow managed to insult everyone.

You gotta wonder, for how long will this brain dead approach to marketing last, does nobody at Intel care about this ? I mean they have to stop at some point ... right ?

Last edited:
System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
I like the fact that the IGPUs will work with a discrete Intel GPU. Not that it is new.

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
I like the fact that the IGPUs will work with a discrete Intel GPU. Not that it is new.
Yeah, that's nice, but how well it will work is a wide open question. AMD's solutions like this were always problematic (as all SLI/CF setups have been).

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
Yeah, that's nice, but how well it will work is a wide open question. AMD's solutions like this were always problematic (as all SLI/CF setups have been).

I know what you mean but I was able to combine my 7870K APU (i think) with a R7 260 and that allowed me to play games at 1080P with no problems.